Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Can we dress Christine sinclair for the canmnt seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Africa getting more spots is fine, gently caress Asia and the Non-South Americas though.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Some might think it's curious that the Middle East and the Caribbean, which are the regions most routinely accused of football related corruption, seem to be profiting the most from this.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

Some might think it's curious that the Middle East and the Caribbean, which are the regions most routinely accused of football related corruption, seem to be profiting the most from this.

But but but the head of CONCACAF is from Canada so there must be no corruption there!!!!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Weaponized Cum posted:

they need more teams because asia and africa are somwhat 'untapped' markets for the FIFA mafia

Correct.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
suriname, guyana and french guiana are never getting in the world cup so lol whoever in conmebol doesn't go

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Jose posted:

suriname, guyana and french guiana are never getting in the world cup so lol whoever in conmebol doesn't go

I would put forward Argentina so we could laugh at Messi having another sulk, but he'll be retired by then.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

stab posted:

But but but the head of CONCACAF is from Canada so there must be no corruption there!!!!

this, also please do not google "canadian soccer league matchfixing"

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

This is going to make the qualification process even more dire, isn't it? Looking forward to watching Dominica and Nicaragua scrapping for that last qualification spot while every nation with a half-decent team (both of them) had qualified with five matches to spare

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

vyelkin posted:

loving unanimous, ahahaha even the Europeans voted for it

just get it over with and expand the World Cup to 211 teams already, that's the logical end result

Why would Europe agree to this trainwreck?

Oh right, corruption

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Jose posted:

Those are CONCACAF countries, and French Guiana isn't a FIFA country.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Those are CONCACAF countries, and French Guiana isn't a FIFA country.

i can't blame them considering everyone else

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Jose posted:

i can't blame them considering everyone else

Yeah, they're in the Caribbean block of CONCACAF because otherwise it's 'lose to everyone forever'.

Although technically French Guiana qualifies for World Cups as part of France.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

poty posted:

Why would Europe agree to this trainwreck?

Oh right, corruption

Apparently the expansion will bring in somewhere in the neighbourhood of an extra $1B for FIFA per tournament. No football execs can vote against that kind of money even if it means ruining the best sporting competition in the world.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

vyelkin posted:

Apparently the expansion will bring in somewhere in the neighbourhood of an extra $1B for FIFA per tournament. No football execs can vote against that kind of money even if it means ruining the best sporting competition in the world.

Wait how is it going to ruin the Ashes

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Strawman posted:

Nothing better than loads of games with teams playing 10 men behind the ball and putting in 'spirited defensive performances'.

That's how Portugal won the Euros, so...

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

vyelkin posted:

Even the Women's World Cup?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It'll be fine. With so many matches you can just pick the one that you wanna watch.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

lol at nerds using the stupid rankings to predict who would qualify

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Simone Poodoin posted:

I was more flabbergasted that Curacao was somehow higher than Jamaica.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The big winner here is China imo, they're the only country big enough to matter that doesn't qualify regularly anyway. Well, them and India, but India's national team is such a joke that they still won't qualify even with Asia's 9,001 spots

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Big winner? They either won't qualify or will go bottom of the group

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I was more flabbergasted that Curacao was somehow higher than Jamaica.

The rankings can be exploited using meaningless friendlies, that's how Belgium were first for a long time.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Hi big Australian football fan here. Judging by what normally happens with the Asian confederation China still wouldn't qualify. Iraq, Iran, Qatar and UAE really aren't that bad. A few of them would probably make it out of the current system for concacaf even. That said havingh more than even 5.5 sports is absurd for a confederation like Asia where there are 3 actually good teams, a few ok but not great ones and a whole lot of terrible. There is a good chance somewhere like Oman would make it to the WC who have a poo poo team but play all their home qualifiers in summer and nobody can survive except them.

My picks for the 8.5 would be

Definite

Australia, Japan, South Korea, Uzbekistan, Iran

Playing for the other 3.5

Iraq, Qatar, UAE, Oman, Jordan, North Korea

Scotland Tier

China, India

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Anyone heard if the expansion will pave the way for Australia to move back to OFC? The lovely Middle East countries have been begging for that to happen even since Australia moved to Asia.

I wonder how they'll seed the pots to create the groups of 3. My guess is that they'll throw Europe and S. America in one pot to maximize as many quality teams advancing as possible. I imagine that was probably part of the deal of getting UEFA and S. America to sign off on this foolishness.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

This is a stupid decision and I will still watch every world cup

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Big winner? They either won't qualify or will go bottom of the group

The important thing is: if they qualify, you can sell them TV coverage of that whole World Cup for $$$$$$

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Redczar posted:

This is a stupid decision and I will still watch every world cup

This!!! I'm hype as hell for the World Cup no matter how dumb and gay the format is, its a global festival of football and I love it

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
I for one am pleased that FIFA was able to just consider the sporting interest of an expanded format, and left the bean counters out of this.

After all, now that football is played more widely than ever and at such a good level, who wouldn't want to watch Honduras face Benin, or Jordan challenge Romania ?

Imagine the thrill of the draw when only the UAE and New Zealand are left in the pot to complete groups O and P, with fans of Mexico, Slovenia, Argentina and Ghana anxious to know just how difficult the road to the first knockout round will be!

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Simone Poodoin posted:

What made you think it was a prediction? Its just a way of getting an idea of the level of team that would qualify.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

I wonder how they'll seed the pots to create the groups of 3. My guess is that they'll throw Europe and S. America in one pot to maximize as many quality teams advancing as possible. I imagine that was probably part of the deal of getting UEFA and S. America to sign off on this foolishness.

I imagine the entirety of the deal of getting UEFA and South America to sign off on this foolishness was pointing out how much more money FIFA would make and pointing out how many new opportunities for graft there would be selling TV rights to to sixteen new entrants, especially if most of them are coming from relatively corrupt regions like the Middle East.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol at the guardian's take

quote:

What has happened to the World Cup?
Well, it’s still there last time we checked, and next year’s tournament in Russia is going ahead as planned. But enjoy the compact, in-no-way-sprawling, 32-team month-long format for only another couple of tournaments. After a vote by the Fifa congress on Tuesday, it’s going to get a lot bigger.

How much bigger?

50% bigger. In 2026, 48 countries will take part in the World Cup and there will be 80 matches as opposed to the current 64 (the hosts are as yet undecided, but for argument’s sake let’s say it’s the Cayman Islands).

That’s a lot of teams
It is indeed. The first World Cup in Uruguay in 1930 comprised just 13 countries. But football has grown since then, you may have noticed, and Fifa currently claims 211 national football associations as members. Fifa’s expressed ambition for this expanded tournament is that it will allow less celebrated footballing nations – think China and India – to join “the world’s greatest party” or whatever they call it nowadays.

That’s nice

Isn’t it?

They then outline the format, which we know about so we'll skip...

quote:

OK … sounds a bit weird?
Well it’s one group game fewer per team than we’ve been used to. But we’ve also been used to a lot of dead rubbers in the past, or at least rubbers where both teams were happy to settle for a draw. Fifa believe this version of the tournament will lead to fewer such games. Indeed no less of an expert in scintillating football than José Mourinho declared last week: “I prefer groups of three. Two matches and then through to the knockout stages or go home. This way, the two group matches will be crucial.

More jokes about parking the bus etc and then...

quote:

Anyway, enough of all that, let’s get to the heart of the matter. Does it mean Scotland will qualify?
Current proposals, which look likely to ratified by Fifa, would mean Europe receiving three more places in the tournament, 16 in all (one per group). So I’d say there was still a strong chance of Scotland stuffing that up.

The proposed breakdown would comprise: Europe 16 teams (13 currently); Africa 9 (5); Asia 8.5 (4.5), South America 6 (4.5), Concacaf 6.5 (3.5), Oceania 1 (0.5), Host nation 1 (1).

That’s weird … Your figures suggest that South America, with nine World Cup wins, would have fewer places than the footballing hotbed of North America and the Caribbean.
Yes it does, doesn’t it. Maybe 2026 will be in the Cayman Islands after all!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/10/48-team-world-cup-fifa-plan-2026

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
the future of football

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I hope they enjoy seeing 5,000 people at a World Cup match. Even if they give tickets away I doubt anyone would really want to see Qatar vs Honduras.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Now the Caribbean Union is thinking about breaking away from CONCACAF to form their own thing. It would reduce us from 41 nations to 10. It would also lower our corruption rating 99% and make it so the US and Mexico can actually have a seat at the table when discussing just about anything.

This would be the best news to come out of this 48 team business.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Now the Caribbean Union is thinking about breaking away from CONCACAF to form their own thing. It would reduce us from 41 nations to 10. It would also lower our corruption rating 99% and make it so the US and Mexico can actually have a seat at the table when discussing just about anything.

I can't wait for the Caribbean Union to break away and then have FIFA immediately approve all Caribbean countries for automatic qualification to the world cup.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Blue Star Error posted:

What made you think it was a prediction? Its just a way of getting an idea of the level of team that would qualify.

It still doesn't work for that because the ranking is bad

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

advanced statsman posted:

the future of football

Tbf this is good.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

who would be the ten

and give them 3 spots so its always usa mexico and a battle from the other 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

So if this happens does CONCACAF still get 6.5 spots? Cause that'd be really awesome.