Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Cooler heads probably realized that going from no LA teams to 2 LA teams while abandoning another market is a Dumb Idea™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The San Diego market is very small, smaller then Indy. They need a very flashy car.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Jesus Christ the owners are like little kids near a hot stove

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

v2vian man posted:

Jesus Christ the owners are like little kids near a hot stove

Well that would explain how Al's face got so hosed up

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
BREAKING NEWS

The Chargers deadline has been extended from Sunday the 15th to Tuesday the 17th

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

BREAKING NEWS

The Chargers deadline has been extended from Sunday the 15th to Tuesday the 17th

What is the point?

Like is there a team of owners trying to shame Spanos into taking that $1 a year lease deal or something?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Putting the final touches on a financing plan? I dunno.

The Chargers aren't even at the meeting

Nov 6, 2002

It was moved because that's a three day weekend. MLK Day.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They couldn't have looked that up when they set the deadline in the first place?

Nov 6, 2002

Are you surprised a bunch of old white billionaires forgot about Martin Luther King day?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Are you surprised a bunch of old white billionaires forgot about Martin Luther King day?

I'm surprised they care enough to move the deadline

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

BREAKING NEWS

i lust for death (of the chargers)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

So why didn't they move it one day? Or did they not realize the 15th was a Sunday, either?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Could be they are trying to work out some kind of financing, and they may need another business day or two. MLk is a federal holiday so the Fed wires are closed. Wouldn't stop them from signing a contract though so who knows.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nail Rat posted:

So why didn't they move it one day? Or did they not realize the 15th was a Sunday, either?

Maybe they don't want the deadline to hit at the same time/short after the playoff games, as if they would somehow affect any word from getting out...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Cooler heads probably realized that going from no LA teams to 2 LA teams while abandoning another market is a Dumb Idea™.

The big mistake is not giving LA a team that will win its division immediately and compete for Super Bowls.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
First off, gently caress Dean Spanos and the Spanos family.

I think that the Chargers are going to stay in SD but not because the league wants them to. They'll stay because they're pathetic and incompetant.

You have to remember that the Spanos family doesn't have much money compared to other owners. Alex Spanos (Dean's father) did well in real estate and bought 60% of the team in 1984 then proceeded to buy out minority owners over the years to eventually end up with 97% ownership of the Chargers. Dean inherited the team and the real estate fortune and hasn't really done anything to expand the empire. So, you have the Spanos family who's livelihood and legacy are linked almost completely to the Chargers.

Dean has two options, move or stay.

If Dean moves the team to LA the value of the Chargers would skyrocket but it would be a bigger mess than it is now from a football standpoint. Basically, if Dean wanted to sell the best option would be to move.

The problem with this is that once he sells he no longer has anything to show for his lifetime of work and his kids no longer have jobs. So, Dean wants to continue to run the Chargers like poo poo but he needs to stay in SD (because he can count of SD fans) and he needs a new stadium. Unfortunately he isn't rich or savvy enough to figure out how to raise the funds or compromise to get a stadium done in SD.

The NFL will decide, after seeing the Rams struggle, to support Dean's decision to stay. They won't just give him time, they'll also give him the funding he needs to close the gap for a stadium (probably through loans which they had previously approved for the relocation fee). So, SD gets a stadium, the Spanos clan gets to continue running the Chargers like poo poo and the fans get to watch the Chargers lose in SD and get to pay for a portion of the new stadium.

Yay football!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If they sell the team they'll get like a billion dollars, I think they could start up a new job with that money. Or not, and just retire!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Akileese posted:

A few questions since I'm not from the area and haven't been following this mess since it got hilarious. The first is where the hell is Mission Valley and why the gently caress is Spanos so angrily against building a stadium there? Also, is the money really approved for that site? I thought someone said that but I wasn't able to find anything of the sort on Field of Schemes.
Mission Valley is about five miles north of downtown SD. The current Chargers shithole stadium (Qualcomm) is there, surrounded by a massive parking lot, at the intersection of three major freeways, and with a dedicated light rail station. From an urban planning standpoint, it is the obvious best place for a football stadium in San Diego. Spanos wants a downtown stadium because he wants to dip into real estate development surrounding it, presumably. The city owns the land that Qualcomm is on and has offered it to Spanos for literally $1 per year for 99 years if he builds his own stadium there.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

got any sevens posted:

If they sell the team they'll get like a billion dollars, I think they could start up a new job with that money. Or not, and just retire!

That's true but for people that have always had money and will always have money it doesn't have the same value. Legacy, prestige, and purpose aren't always things that money can buy especially if all you want is to run an NFL team (into the ground) with your family.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NFL VP said today at the NFL owners meetings that Vegas' progress towards hosting an NFL team has been extremely impressive.

Congrats Vegas Raiders

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hahaha on my lunch break listening to the radio they said that Spanos is about 200m short and there is word he could get a loan to cover the remaining cost to stay in San Diego...

...from Kroenke.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i read some article earlier about money for renovating qualcomm

i literally started laughing at my desk

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

Hahaha on my lunch break listening to the radio they said that Spanos is about 200m short and there is word he could get a loan to cover the remaining cost to stay in San Diego...

...from Kroenke.

Makes sense. Kroenke doesn't want to share his stadium

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mistaking said "loan" I think the idea is he is just going to loving give it to him and write it off as the cost of having sole control of Los Angeles.

Also they said that if the team moves to LA Stan is going to let his kids take over the team but if they stay in San Diego Stan is going to continue running it.

Sorry, San Diego citizens.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Stan?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
eat the rich

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Chris James 2 posted:

NFL VP said today at the NFL owners meetings that Vegas' progress towards hosting an NFL team has been extremely impressive.

Congrats Vegas Raiders

The NFL was never going to turn down $700 million of civic money. Especially with the Chargers situation lingering.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm surprised Krunky isn't loaning Oakland money instead. Vegas is going to suck Raider fans from LA.

Are there no deranged tech billionaires or oligarchs in SD (or from SV that like warmer beaches) that can buy the team from Spanos at gunpoint?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Vegas will fail unless the raiders win a super bowl.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm surprised Krunky isn't loaning Oakland money instead. Vegas is going to suck Raider fans from LA.

Are there no deranged tech billionaires or oligarchs in SD (or from SV that like warmer beaches) that can buy the team from Spanos at gunpoint?

Spanos doesn't want to sell. And Kroenke isn't going to build the Raiders an entire stadium.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

excuse me for living!

dean

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Ron Jeremy posted:

Vegas will fail unless the raiders win a super bowl.

You should probably pay more attention to what's going on in the real world.

Nov 6, 2002

Being in Vegas is going to be the biggest home field advantage when half the visiting team gets blitzed the night before and the other half arrested.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

excuse me for living!

dean

Yeah, I thought so.

Little inaccurate though. Dean has already passed on control to A.G. Spanos and John Spanos as of last year. The last thing that Dean himself is involved in is the stadium situation

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chinatown posted:

i read some article earlier about money for renovating qualcomm

i literally started laughing at my desk

Installing several tons of dynamite at carefully selected points and then detonating it is technically a renovation when you think about it.

Qualcomm is worse than The Stick ever was except for access and parking.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Installing several tons of dynamite at carefully selected points and then detonating it is technically a renovation when you think about it.

Qualcomm is worse than The Stick ever was except for access and parking.
Exactly, it is a garbage stadium in the right place.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
The parking actually makes it own tho because the tailgating is a v. fun experience unlike most stadiums these days

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/819376593734946816

Schefty bombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So loving stupid. Of course it's happening.

• Locked thread