Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

and this is how you realise how little anyone cares about you, cog #69420

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

I also sent it two layers of management above me so lol. those two didn't even respond

I bet they had a good laugh at your balls. but they can't show it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

I bet they had a good laugh at your balls. but they can't show it.

they wouldnt look so funny if he washed them every once in a while

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually you'll find my balls look very normal

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

actually you'll find my balls look very normal

actually i cant seem to find them at all

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
just kidding i luv u

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

my phone interview is in 30 mins but i'm getting nervous because i had a customer call earlier and i got all mushmouthed for no reason.

I try to do interviews in the morning, less chance of something lovely happening during the day to put you off your mood

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually i cant seem to find them at all

:iceburn:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

I try to do interviews in the morning, less chance of something lovely happening during the day to put you off your mood

I do them in the morning before I go into the office so I'm not distracted by stupid stuff happening at work. and also I can do them in my pajamas.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Bloody posted:

I also sent it two layers of management above me so lol. those two didn't even respond

that's because they have the email rule if sender=Bloody then move to Trash

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
well, that interview went pretty well, especially given they said "you need to know ios really well" and i had to sell "i've learned a lot of difficult platforms really fast, i can get up to speed."

fyi eschaton, they might ask you to show them my posts, lol. i warned them that they're full of swearing and bad grammar.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fyi eschaton, they might ask you to show them my posts, lol. i warned them that they're full of swearing and bad grammar.

you mentioned your posting in a job interview?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

they asked if i had written any tutorials for a non-business audience and that's all i had, lol. i had to say "proprietary" and "non-compete" a lot

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lomarf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

they asked if i had written any tutorials for a non-business audience and that's all i had, lol. i had to say "proprietary" and "non-compete" a lot

lmao but also yospos owns

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ya, i kinda got cornered because they kept asking various questions to the tune of "what examples of your work can we see" and the answer is "none" because it's all proprietary and i don't have time for extracurricular coding.

edit: i dont know if you can tell but my current gig was my first job where the hiring process wasn't "fill out this one-page application" so im learning as i go here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you should get a job as an FAE - then your job can literally be to write giant walls of text on forums on technical subjects

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

this is amazing.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bloody posted:

like 30% better

nice, gratz

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

you should get a job as an FAE - then your job can literally be to write giant walls of text on forums on technical subjects

yeah spend all day responding to people asking "please do my job for me. I know nothing and will read nothing"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
what is an FAE

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qntm posted:

what is an FAE

a non-binary elf

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

field applications engineer, aka customer support

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

a non-binary ELF

for storing programs for ternary computers?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

for storing programs for ternary computers?

and bit-fluid quantum computers.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

DuckConference posted:

yeah spend all day responding to people asking "please do my job for me. I know nothing and will read nothing"

customer engineering can be kinda fun for this reason

it's like having a bunch of mediocre peons who will do whatever you tell them (shittily, but still)

you gotta do all the thinking, but they'll faithfully fumble through the executing

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

How much does customer engineering pay compared to software development. A pittance?

for that matter is developer relations/tech evangelist a feasible career to switch to

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

field applications engineer, aka customer support

note that this can be anything from phone support to contract development

the former will pay little, the latter a lot

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

those of us who are good posters are proud of it? i attach a 5-page selection of my best posts at the end of my resume

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

qntm posted:

what is an FAE

filling in as a Failure Analysis Engineer for a couple of months was probably the most fun I've ever had in my career

"figure out how customers broke their unit and figure out who is responsible for fixing the design"
"okay now go to the factory and figure out new ways that customers can break stuff"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol "position open in san francisco and seattle" apparently actually means "must be willing to relocate to seattle"

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
I got a verbal job offer today :toot:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Aquarium of Lies posted:

I got an oral job offer today :toot:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
okay so obviously referrals are the best, but after that, PYF job internets.

there's always LinkedIn, which is awful, but their weekly job emails have been somewhat decent lately. especially if you are looking for big companies.

I've been using indeed.com recently, which is kind of hit or miss but I like that it takes you to the actual company's website job posting.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

got an initial phone call with amazon coming up. i have not heard great things about working there, but it can't hurt to talk to them, right? :ohdear:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i've been using workcabin but that's for environmental jobs instead of computer touching

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

The Management posted:

okay so obviously referrals are the best, but after that, PYF job internets.

there's always LinkedIn, which is awful, but their weekly job emails have been somewhat decent lately. especially if you are looking for big companies.

I've been using indeed.com recently, which is kind of hit or miss but I like that it takes you to the actual company's website job posting.

only one of my jobs ever has been from some jobs internet, and i found it on monster.com.

everything else has been someone finding me, somehow. or directly through the org's website.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i got callbacks using indeed -> company portal and stack overflow jobs

got offers from the two postings i was most interested in, which were large companies. every small company i applied to would not hire me because i didn't match all 20 of their job requirement bullet points

i liked stack overflow's interface the best (tons of sites don't accept "C#" as a search term, but SO uses tags) but accepted the offer from a company on indeed. indeed had a LOT more results for C# and .NET in the Boston area. SO had fewer, but the postings that were there seemed higher quality, in that there were fewer consulting groups and more relevance to the search terms

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The Management posted:

Glassdoor, LinkedIn Careers, Stack Overflow Jobs. Hacker News Who's Hiring? pages but it seems like the listings are heavily int'l and in American non-tech cities these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

The Leck posted:

got an initial phone call with amazon coming up. i have not heard great things about working there, but it can't hurt to talk to them, right? :ohdear:

A good friends brother, who is probably the best programmer I have ever met, currently works for amazon and he seems to find it ok, but he works for their bluesky/skynet research lab or something, so your millage may vary considerably.

• Locked thread