Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mover posted:

We watched Romeo and Juliet in like a big school assembly and they tried to, like, zoom in on her face or something during the naked stuff so that we wouldn't have to stop the movie or cover it up but someone hosed up and we got a big screenful of nipple
I remember our class hooting and howling when that scene happened and our English teacher just gave everyone a death glare.

Same thing happened in history class when we watched Galipoli when they had that scene with the soldiers taking a bath in the ocean and there being so many butt shots.

Or Civics teacher also made us read Barry Goldwater which is always great to read in a class about how the government should be working.

In Latin class we watched The Mission for some reason, I didn't really care why, because The Mission is a really really good movie with some of Ennio's best work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag1Dfa1e_E

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lobok posted:

Sean Connery's one handsome motherfucker.
It's a great movie, I just don't think most people have ever heard of it. Then everyone chimed in that they watched it in high school.

I skipped out on our basketball team going to state so there were three of us in physics one morning. Our teacher told one of us to go to the movie room in the library and pick something out, so we watched The Sandlot.

I don't suppose anyone remembers a series of science videos where the information was presented through framing sequences in a white, maze-like, cgi museum?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Sean Connery's one handsome motherfucker.

Edit: Speaking of Connery, we got to watch You Only Live Twice in high school chemistry once, but only because I had it on me. Something went wrong with the teacher's lesson plan or the supplies were missing, and he was wondering what we could do. I was just like, "uhh, I have a James Bond movie in my bag" so he wheeled in the TV and we watched it.

My tenth grade history teacher stopped giving a gently caress the last couple weeks of school so we watched a bunch of random flicks, including Entrapment, featuring a very old Connery hitting on Catherine Zeta-Jones. She eventually married Michael Douglas in real life, so maybe it was less creepy for her to do than for the rest of us to watch.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Casimir Radon posted:

It's a great movie, I just don't think most people have ever heard of it. Then everyone chimed in that they watched it in high school.

I skipped out on our basketball team going to state so there were three of us in physics one morning. Our teacher told one of us to go to the movie room in the library and pick something out, so we watched The Sandlot.

I don't suppose anyone remembers a series of science videos where the information was presented through framing sequences in a white, maze-like, cgi museum?

Probably Eyewitness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwarhzl76D8

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You're my hero. I couldn't remember what it was called at all.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I had a science teacher who let us watch Face/Off.

Why? Because he was awesome

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

In a college PR/media relations class I convinced the professor to let use watch Wag the Dog which she had never even heard of. Needless to say she gave me a couple of angry looks during the movie. We did have a decent discussion afterwords so it turned out all right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MH Knights posted:

In a college PR/media relations class I convinced the professor to let use watch Wag the Dog which she had never even heard of. Needless to say she gave me a couple of angry looks during the movie. We did have a decent discussion afterwords so it turned out all right.

I showed part of The People vs Larry Flynt in a US History class as part of a project about the first amendment.

That's a pretty good movie.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I remember a HS class where to cover WWII we started with Schindler and ended with The Wall. It was a good counterpoint.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

MH Knights posted:

I'm sure woody harrelson : nun raper went down a treat

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I showed part of The People vs Larry Flynt in a US History class as part of a project about the first amendment.

That's a pretty good movie.

I remember Courtney Love being good in that.

Legit, no insult

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Legit, no insult

She is, I think she got nominated for several acting awards. Her struggle and sacrifice enshrined in Supreme Court case law our ability to obliquely imply Jerry Falwell hosed his mother in an outhouse via parody liquor ads.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
We watched the 60s Romeo and Juliet freshman year of high school. Sophomore year we watched the Omaha Beach sequence from "Saving Private Ryan" in history class. Senior year we watched "Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke" in English class.

EDIT:

Oh yea, 7th grade algebra, our lovely algebra teacher showed us "Stand and Deliver" to inspire us since we were giving him a hard time the entire year. Instead, we took the hard time further and we ended up mentally breaking him and he never taught again.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 11, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

She is, I think she got nominated for several acting awards. Her struggle and sacrifice enshrined in Supreme Court case law our ability to obliquely imply Jerry Falwell hosed his mother in an outhouse via parody liquor ads.

Never forget

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We watched Stand and Deliver in 7th grade math. I left very inspired, but still haven't learned calculus :smith:

Supersize Me came out while I was in high school and we watched it 4 times because teachers kept assuming we hadn't seen it yet. I really hated it after the second time through.

The movie we probably watched the most in school was Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, several times just in elementary school. They let us vote on what we wanted to see and it won, a lot. The school did a thing where we decorated the classrooms once a year based on a book so in 4th grade we had a very movie influenced classroom decorated with a shitload of colored paper.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 11, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

hiddenmovement posted:

The best bit is when Asterix loses his poo poo at the ghost legion and they sort of just apologise and wander off

I've always been a fan of the bureaucracy task. That part is even based on real historical facts about the terrible roman administration!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

kiimo posted:

They must have been exceedingly cold.

I just want you to know how much I appreciate this.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

VoodooXT posted:

Oh yea, 7th grade algebra, our lovely algebra teacher showed us "Stand and Deliver" to inspire us since we were giving him a hard time the entire year. Instead, we took the hard time further and we ended up mentally breaking him and he never taught again.

I'm so, so, so happy I got out of my career in education. Teachers are heroes in my book (yes even most of the lovely ones).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Renoistic posted:

I'm so, so, so happy I got out of my career in education. Teachers are heroes in my book (yes even most of the lovely ones).

Same (though I'm actually more interested in teaching university level in the future).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Man my english teacher showed Monty Python's Holy Grail, I feel robbed now. There's no tits in that movie whatsoever!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Renoistic posted:

I am a teacher, feeling pretty good about that right now. I started subbing English in 9th grade yesterday, the subject is Australia. I so badly want to show them Fury Road but some of them aren't old enough.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The only movies I remember watching in school was Run Lola Run for German class and Schindlers list. The latter being watched on a bus during a school trip to Auschwitz. I think we also watched some movie about the Polish resistance in Warsaw but I can't remember the title or much of it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

We watched The Matrix in high school. The teacher had loved it and figured we would too, she was right.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wow, so every high school around the world showed name of the rose then because I too saw it in that context

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I didn't see name of the rose or stand and deliver. I actually had to look both of those up because I didn't know what y'all were talking about.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Movies I've seen in Mr. G's eighth grade English class:

Lost Boys
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
That Shakespeare Movie With Swords as Guns

I don't know why, but thank you, Mr. G.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Man my english teacher showed Monty Python's Holy Grail, I feel robbed now. There's no tits in that movie whatsoever!

Same, though as a good nerd I already had it memorized.

The movie I was shown the most in school was Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I hated that movie even before I had to watch it four more times.

Could have been worse, though. In elementary school they showed us Pete's Dragon repeatedly.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Hmm, no one else watched Amadeus in music class? Did that twice; it is punishingly long, but it's probably one of the best biopics ever. I remember watching Grease and Monty Python and The Holy Grail too. No nudity there.

In band class, we watched a lot of PG 13 movies, good and bad (10 Things I Hate About You, Lost In Space, Home Alone 3, Mr. Holland's Opus [because of course]). But I think my favorite was my Theater/AP History teacher, who showed us movies to prepare for our plays, two of which were Jacob's Ladder and The Fisher King. Thanks, Mrs. N! :unsmith:

To bring this all back to bad movies, Youtube has been trying to convince me for weeks that The Bye Bye Man is totally the name of a respectable and awesome horror movie, and not something that makes me giggle, for going on two weeks now. To no effect whatsoever. The latest one implied they'd by "taking Friday the 13th away from Jason!" and I'm just, :nallears:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Bye Bye Man might not even take away Friday the 13th from Underworld: Blood Wars.

One of these days, Nicolas Refn will direct an artsy remake of the Underworld franchise called Blue Filters Over Prague.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got to watch "What the &%$! do we know", but to be fair to the teacher, she apparently had no idea what the hell it was. She turned it off after the part talking about how because native americans had never seen ships before, they were literally invisible to them and that's why they all got killed.

This was also the class where we had to give a speech about what we did over our summer vacation that I didn't write, so I talked about the video game Chromehounds for half an hour and somehow convinced one student I was a robot-piloting child soldier and the same grade where I convinced my ap history teacher to let me play Civilization IV for a semester and write a report on it (Egypt's armies got eaten by bears).

As it turns out rural schools are pretty garbage.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 11, 2017

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I went to a Catholic high school and had to watch Polanski's Macbeth and Million Dollar Baby. Both part of the curriculum.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Wasn't in school, but I was in band and interested in music theory and watched Amadeus on my own (probably over two sittings) and loved it. Still love it. Historical veracity aside, Salieri is such a great character and the Requiem composition scene will stick with me for a long time.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I had a middle school history teacher who for some reason decided to show the class Top Secret!, apparently unaware of what that movie was. He turned it off during the Anal Intruder scene.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I got to watch "What the &%$! do we know", but to be fair to the teacher, she apparently had no idea what the hell it was. She turned it off after the part talking about how because native americans had never seen ships before, they were literally invisible to them and that's why they all got killed.

This was also the class where we had to give a speech about what we did over our summer vacation that I didn't write, so I talked about the video game Chromehounds for half an hour and somehow convinced one student I was a robot-piloting child soldier and the same grade where I convinced my ap history teacher to let me play Civilization IV for a semester and write a report on it (Egypt's armies got eaten by bears).

As it turns out rural schools are pretty garbage.

God that movie is a piece of poo poo, some people who though it was really deep showed it to a group of us and got pissed when I exclaimed "oh, it's that deaf actress" when Marlee Matlin showed up. I guess they thought it was a spoiler because the framing story is shot in such a way that you can't tell she's deaf until the end, which is an okay concept, but don't hire the worlds most famous deaf actress if you want that to be a twist. She has an Academy Award and was a regular guest star on The West Wing for gently caress's sake.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

God that movie is a piece of poo poo, some people who though it was really deep showed it to a group of us and got pissed when I exclaimed "oh, it's that deaf actress" when Marlee Matlin showed up. I guess they thought it was a spoiler because the framing story is shot in such a way that you can't tell she's deaf until the end, which is an okay concept, but don't hire the worlds most famous deaf actress if you want that to be a twist. She has an Academy Award and was a regular guest star on The West Wing for gently caress's sake.

And Seinfeld.

"What are you, deaf?!"
"Bingo!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My high school cinema class was pretty great. I believe the curriculum was The General, Scarface (the Paul Muni one), Frankenstein, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Some Like It Hot, Bonnie & Clyde, Psycho, Vertigo, Young Frankenstein, Jaws, The Godfather and The Untouchables.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Josh Lyman posted:

Should I go to a screening of this Friday night? It feels like Room crossed with 10 Cloverfield Lane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84TouqfIsiI

Huh, I didn't know Split was directed by Shyamalan. I wonder if the guy will turn out to be four brothers instead of one man with a very tastelessly depicted mental illness.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

syscall girl posted:

Legit, no insult

I mean, she was essentially playing herself, so yeah.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't think of any good school movie screenings. Though in my High School cinema class, we watched Citizen Kane and then again with the commentary. That was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RBA Starblade posted:

somehow convinced one student I was a robot-piloting child soldier

:shittypop:

that must have been interesting to explain

• Locked thread