Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Blind Rasputin posted:

Now can you loving imagine being the ISIS dudes in your jeeps or whatever out there in the desert and suddenly being surrounded in a circling cloud of those things with that hellmouth noise going on?? Jesus, it would be the sound of unescapable death.

Inshallah :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol if you think theyre not going to use that on us

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That's why I have a roll of tin foil and a shotgun.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

lol if you think theyre not going to use that on us

I was thinking it would have been great to drop on the bundy bunch at the bird sanctuary

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MrYenko posted:

I'd like to be the first to welcome President SwarmBot01 to the office.

Pffffffft, please, we all know SwarmBot69 would win that election. :colbert:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The next big war is going to involve infantry eating poo poo to drones and/or having ti hump around a shitload of ant drone stuff

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The noise those things make is disconcerting

Made me think of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwWAciO6F4

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Reverand maynard posted:

The next big war is going to involve infantry eating poo poo to drones and/or having ti hump around a shitload of ant drone stuff

Drones that small only last 15 minutes, and someone's gotta pick all those loving things up.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just put a loving barbed spear tip on the front and have them fly into people.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Slim Pickens posted:

Drones that small only last 15 minutes, and someone's gotta pick all those loving things up.

Just like we do with UXO from cluster bombs.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Includes a segment of Ligeti's Lux Aeterna, my personal soundtrack for the nuclear apocalypse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVYu5lyX5M

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Small, flying enemies are always the loving worst in every game they are in and we have to go and make them a reality? Did they learn nothing from manhacks...

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Slim Pickens posted:

Oh hey a new job for the marine corps

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Force de Fappe posted:

Includes a segment of Ligeti's Lux Aeterna, my personal soundtrack for the nuclear apocalypse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVYu5lyX5M

:hfive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9-mYg5VDzQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U67MRAPKXzU

bonus war dogge

160521-F-WV456-2519 by US Air Force, on Flickr

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 11, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

for now.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm the dude using his AK as an IDF weapon.

Dropping a poo poo ton of tiny drones would be an excellent air denial weapon. A few of those into the intake of a jet, and no more jet.

Though the idea of a bunch of flying robot devils with pitchforks killing infantry is metal as gently caress.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

How about some ultra-lightweight explosives to tack onto each of those little buzzers? My bet is they're already in the works.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Demonstrations" of GP-25 grenade launchers and an F1 grenade by Ukrainians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XiAOy4-Ne0

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Drones seeking out individual dudes and crashing into them with a toe popper's worth of explosive would be terrifying, either persistent, sprinkling them over an area and letting them jump at armed people they hear passing, or actively seeking like "hey swarm, go 300m over there and kill everyone carrying a Russian-made gun". I guess the more appropriate wording is "will" be terrifying. Bonus points if they broadcast "shoot your own dick off and I might let you live" in the local language.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They'll be a little gift for every guest at the wedding!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They'll be a little gift for every guest at the wedding!

I can see a Clancy-esque novel actually having Perdix drones hidden in wedding or birthday presents as a terrorist attack.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gibson has a novel where the hero dies to a drone just like that (hunter with lightweight explosives and no frag sleeve to limit collateral damage).

The EM battle to prevent those suckers from operating's gonna be interesting.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I'm a thirty second bomb! I'm a thirty second bomb! Twenty-nine! Twenty-eight! Twenty-seven!...

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I'm a thirty second bomb! I'm a thirty second bomb! Twenty-nine! Twenty-eight! Twenty-seven!...

Welp time to read that book again

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm looking forward to the new film, supposedly it's an actual adaptation of the book

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Maybe they'll get it right this time, too.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Naked Bear posted:

Maybe they'll get it right this time, too.

I don't think that Verhoeven got anything wrong with his version, it just wasn't based on the book until production was already underway

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Verhoeven's is enjoyable as a campy stand alone product that just shares a name.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I picked up starship troopers from a garage sale a few years ago and I remember wondering why there wasn't some human-bug galactic race war going on. Still really enjoyed the book though

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Perhaps I should say, instead, that I hope this one will be more faithful to the source material.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Suicide Watch posted:

Scaring the hell out of religious fundamentalists

:golfclap:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You could probably make the devil's own pinpoint chemical deployment with those drones.

Just swarms of bees spraying down dicks made out of VX all over the battlefield.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Grognan posted:

You could probably make the devil's own pinpoint chemical deployment with those drones.

Just swarms of bees spraying down dicks made out of VX all over the battlefield.

DARPA happens to be accepting proposals for something along those lines.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Godholio posted:

I wasn't looking for the actual answer, I was wondering how Hungary being a landlocked country explained what was going on to Nuclear Tourist.

Is natural defense when Romania and Poland have Aegis Ashore at airbases, da?

Lake of Methane fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 12, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Drones seeking out individual dudes and crashing into them with a toe popper's worth of explosive would be terrifying, either persistent, sprinkling them over an area and letting them jump at armed people they hear passing, or actively seeking like "hey swarm, go 300m over there and kill everyone carrying a Russian-made gun". I guess the more appropriate wording is "will" be terrifying. Bonus points if they broadcast "shoot your own dick off and I might let you live" in the local language.

It's not really a solved problem though. The intelligence to recognize "person with a Russian-made gun" is not there yet, but even if they're getting close, the complexity would drive up unit cost and weight. The current system apparently relies on distributed processing, which leaves it vulnerable to EW.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
They are really small, you are not going to get enough HE to be worth anything.

But who cares, really it''s an eye in the sky you know is there but can't shoot down. Harbingers of Artillery.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Make them shoot poison darts.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Slather them in smallpox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007