Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

they're starting a left wing breitbart. it's called crooked media

The irony of that name will be lost on everyone for whom it matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

:manning: looks like people forgot about Air America

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
You can't do a "left wing Fox News". It's never ever worked

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

You can't do a "left wing Fox News". It's never ever worked

TYT has been relatively successful in reaching it's audience.

MSNBC on the flipside has been a bit of a dud.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

TYT has been relatively successful in reaching it's audience.

MSNBC on the flipside has been a bit of a dud.
TYT has an audience of what, 25,000?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think that podcast went from being pretty interesting to completely up its own rear end in a hurry but it did well for what it was. They're doing a podcast and website I don't think they're really aiming at being Fox News

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Adam Schefter interviewing Jerry Jones for an hour sounds like torture

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Adam Schefter is a sentient twitter account, I don't need to actually hear him talk about anything

Whether or not a Jerry interview is good depends on how drunk he is and there's no way that suit wearing blackberry is buying him shots so no sale

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 10, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Schef is really good at cozying up to agents and being their first contact on most stories.

I don't know why ESPN keeps putting him on TV, he has the charisma of a doorknob.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

cancel Keepin' It 1600 and listen to Chapo Trap House instead

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Benne posted:

Schef is really good at cozying up to agents and being their first contact on most stories.

I don't know why ESPN keeps putting him on TV, he has the charisma of a doorknob.

Because you need the dull people to make people like SVP interesting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Benne posted:

I'm sure it was part of his demands in order to jump from NFL Network.

iospace posted:

Because you need the dull people to make people like SVP interesting.

Are you talking poo poo about SVP?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

Are you talking poo poo about SVP?

Nope. It's a study in contrasts. If you have all your anchors like SVP, where would be the advantage over one of the other. With the boring people like Schefter, it makes SVP even better from his already high awesome value.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Colin Cowherd was surprisingly real, if only for a moment, in reacting to being called out by Dabo Swinney.

quote:

“You know people this morning are like, what do you think of that? One of the things I’ve realized you do not punish me if I’m wrong. You punish me as an audience if I choose topics you are not interested in. You have never punished me for being wrong. My Blazing Five is one of the highest rated things I ever do. And I get 57% right. When you punish me, politicians could learn a thing or two. Politicians lose when they talk about topics nobody cares about. Trump talked about the economy. That’s what most of us care about. Not bathroom issues. In the end, you have never punished me for being wrong. You punish me when I am uninteresting and when I choose topics that you don’t give a rip about. So I will continue to have SUPER STRONG opinions on college football, the NBA, the NFL.”

He's basically admitting his job is to be a firebrand and to get people reacting to him, regardless of whether or not he's correct in his opinions, which, yeah he's right.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 11, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Colin Cowherd was surprisingly real, if only for a moment, in reacting to being called out by Dabo Swinney.

He's basically admitting his job is to be a firebrand and to get people reacting to him, regardless of whether or not he's correct in his opinions, which, yeah he's right.

Yeah that's about as close to a glimpse behind the curtain as most people are going to get.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NFL lost viewers in basically every demo in 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hahahah loving :rip: I wonder why :allears:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

iospace posted:

hahahah loving :rip: I wonder why :allears:
Why?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mahoning posted:

Yeah that's about as close to a glimpse behind the curtain as most people are going to get.
Other sports media personalities have been saying the same thing for years, this isn't a peek behind the curtain at all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One. lack of parity, as mentioned in the article (read: same teams constantly dominating). Draft order is supposed to help with this, but it rarely does, or only works for a couple seasons.
Two: the owners are coming off as spoiled brats as of late, especially in the case of the Raiders, Rams, and 49ers.
3. concussions and people getting hurt.
IV. The election in the first half the season
evif: No real intriguing story lines this year, outside of Dallas's rookie successes and Oakland turning it around after starting 0-10 two seasons ago (prior to Carr getting hurt)
6: people are getting fed up with Godell and the extreme unevenness when it comes to giving out punishments.
7. Public Stadium funding is finally starting to die.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Off the top of my head:

The on-field product is getting worse, parity is dead, games take half a day to complete, the league considers smoking a blunt far worse offense than beating the poo poo out of your partner (but don't worry ladies, buy this pink jersey and donate to our sham domestic violence charity!), poo poo stadium deals that continually gently caress over taxpayers, Jim Nantz, draconian uniform rules, draconian rules about showing excitement, Ballghazi, rules about a catch that's not a catch except when it's a catch, penalizing players for launching their heads or shoulders through the face of other players by moving the ball 15 yards.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Plus LA was stuck with the Rams while St Louis disowned football

Maybe no :manning: at all and Brady gone for a month also didn't help

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Off the top of my head:

The on-field product is getting worse, parity is dead, games take half a day to complete, the league considers smoking a blunt far worse offense than beating the poo poo out of your partner (but don't worry ladies, buy this pink jersey and donate to our sham domestic violence charity!), poo poo stadium deals that continually gently caress over taxpayers, Jim Nantz, draconian uniform rules, draconian rules about showing excitement, Ballghazi, rules about a catch that's not a catch except when it's a catch, penalizing players for launching their heads or shoulders through the face of other players by moving the ball 15 yards.

Oh, and said charities pay more to the NFL then they get out of it, including the military.

You forgot Troy Aikman's constant sucking of the Cowboy's dick, but this is probably one of the few times where you can actually excuse an announcer of being a homer given he played his entire career there.

Also Joe Buck.

Also, I might be one of the few people who has no problem with the ban on dunking over the goal posts, as cool as it is, it can actually knock them out of alignment.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

Off the top of my head:

I feel like this has been coming down the pike for a while.

I think one of the biggest mistakes in hindsight was not awarding Baltimore the AFC Expansion franchise in '93 and perhaps St. Louis as well. This kinda led to a domino effect where Cleveland lost a team, LA lost two, Houston lost a franchise and a lot of cities where the NFL is kinda "lukewarm" in terms of support wound up getting franchises.

They moved away from the stereotypical "Football" atmosphere where it was a bunch of drunk guys in the stands and move it towards "family". It reminds me a lot of the mistakes that the NHL and NASCAR made when they were going into their "dark ages". Eventually their bubbles popped and popped big time.

The parity thing is indeed a myth. Especially in the AFC. If you don't have Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger or Joe Flacco on your team? Congrats. Your high point in the season is going to be being shut out in the wildcard round by a team that has one of those players on it. (and replace "Manning" with "Luck" in the coming years btw).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

They moved away from the stereotypical "Football" atmosphere where it was a bunch of drunk guys in the stands and move it towards "family". It reminds me a lot of the mistakes that the NHL and NASCAR made when they were going into their "dark ages". Eventually their bubbles popped and popped big time.

Trying to market most entertainment products to a larger audience than just drunk males isn't a bad thing, FYI

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Most of what y'all are complaining about has been true for a decade if not longer, outside of concussion knowledge. Like the NFL's largest period of growth saw Art Modell Hitler his team to baltimore.

The most likely culprit is falling cable subscribers. That would ostensibly only affect MNF/(half of) TNF, but the NFL was poor in articulating which TNF games would be available off of NFLN and people are very lazy. Once they're willing to cancel their cable subscriptions (or in the case of younger people, never sign up for one), bothering to actually put up an antenna alone is probably enough to atrophy those numbers a bit, and once you're not watching TV all the time, other things just become easier to do. You also lose a lot of the highlight shows driving interest in seeing other teams play.

Though worth noting that most of the above probably doesn't matter as much, since local viewership rates have been steady apparently, the drop off was primarily prime time games, so again, cable.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Trying to market most entertainment products to a larger audience than just drunk males isn't a bad thing, FYI

seconding this, and they still market heavily to drunk males with the endless beer commercials (only matched by endless car related commercials (though I will admit I'm fond of All-State's Mayhem commercials)). Honestly, I think part of the problem is the proliferation of commercials in the last decade or so. People are becoming more cognizant of actually how /slow/ the games are. Isn't it in a 60 minute game, there's under 15 minutes of actual action from snap to whistle?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Isn't it in a 60 minute game, there's under 15 minutes of actual action from snap to whistle?

A WSJ study back in like 2013 or so said actual time of game action averaged around 11 minutes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

lack of parity

DJExile posted:

parity is dead

This isn't the only reason but holy poo poo comp picks need to be ditched or reworked immediately along those lines.

Kalli posted:

The most likely culprit is falling cable subscribers.

I can buy this, but shouldn't this be showing up across all sports? Maybe it is for all I know.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I can buy this, but shouldn't this be showing up across all sports? Maybe it is for all I know.

It very likely is, but I think you see the heaviest effect of it in the NFL when audiences were so gigantic at their peak, especially with ESPN.

I'd imagine you also see it with the NBA. Harder to say with MLB or NHL since I think those audiences are more tribal and just watch their specific team, compared to the league/sport as a whole.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

It very likely is, but I think you see the heaviest effect of it in the NFL when audiences were so gigantic at their peak, especially with ESPN.

I'd imagine you also see it with the NBA. Harder to say with MLB or NHL since I think those audiences are more tribal and just watch their specific team, compared to the league/sport as a whole.

The NBA is weird, because ESPN and TNT both have regular national broadcast games, and the teams have deals with "local" cable channels for home broadcasts. I get the Bucks on Fox Sports Wisconsin. Also MLB has national games on ESPN and FOX as well.

NHL has all their national games, with some exceptions, on NBCSN though :newlol:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
NBA and MLB also have functional and (mostly) comprehensive streaming solutions. I'm not aware of one for the NFL.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kalli posted:

Most of what y'all are complaining about has been true for a decade if not longer, outside of concussion knowledge. Like the NFL's largest period of growth saw Art Modell Hitler his team to baltimore.

The most likely culprit is falling cable subscribers. That would ostensibly only affect MNF/(half of) TNF, but the NFL was poor in articulating which TNF games would be available off of NFLN and people are very lazy. Once they're willing to cancel their cable subscriptions (or in the case of younger people, never sign up for one), bothering to actually put up an antenna alone is probably enough to atrophy those numbers a bit, and once you're not watching TV all the time, other things just become easier to do. You also lose a lot of the highlight shows driving interest in seeing other teams play.

Though worth noting that most of the above probably doesn't matter as much, since local viewership rates have been steady apparently, the drop off was primarily prime time games, so again, cable.

I agree with this. I think people are using the ratings decline as an excuse to blame their pet gripes. Culprit is likely the same culprit that has hit everything else on television, falling cable subscribers and immense amounts of content available.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Regular season NBA games ratings have declined as cable has declined (although slower than your average television show), but it's not been considered a big deal because the playoffs did well and the finals were massively successful.

There is the consequence that Fox Sports, the regional owner of the regular season TV rights for many of the teams in the league, has been low balling the heck out of teams when given an opportunity, but the national rights for big games and the playoffs have been so high that most people don't seem to be worried about it (I personally think it's a sign of a bad trend).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

NHL has all their national games, with some exceptions, on NBCSN though :newlol:

Yeah NBC was the only US network to make a bid for NHL rights. To be a little fair to them, they've actually done a pretty decent job with their coverage, since their only other major league/promotion they cover is the EPL and I think Formula 1, neither of which exactly overlap in audience or time/season.

The NHL would get completely buried on ESPN or Fox (on a national level), so I suppose better for them to have a smaller network that will actually dedicate some time to them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Yeah NBC was the only US network to make a bid for NHL rights. To be a little fair to them, they've actually done a pretty decent job with their coverage, since their only other major league/promotion they cover is the EPL and I think Formula 1, neither of which exactly overlap in audience or time/season.

The NHL would get completely buried on ESPN or Fox (on a national level), so I suppose better for them to have a smaller network that will actually dedicate some time to them.

I wish Hockey would get more focus though :smith:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Parity has never really existed in the NFL

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

NBC gets the second half of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup season. Fox and Fox Sports gets the first half plus the xfinity series and Camping World Truck series.

There have been some times where NASCAR has almost preempted FNIA on regular NBC with late season races.

But aside from that, yeah that's pretty much all of the major series that NBC/NBCSN have live.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

exploded mummy posted:

NBC gets the second half of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup season. Fox and Fox Sports gets the first half plus the xfinity series and Camping World Truck series.

There have been some times where NASCAR has almost preempted FNIA on regular NBC with late season races.

But aside from that, yeah that's pretty much all of the major series that NBC/NBCSN have live.

Also most of Indy Car, except the opening race, the races before and after the Indy 500, and the Indy 500. ABC has those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Half the NFL playoff teams this year weren't in it last year. The teams that made last year's Super Bowl didn't even make the playoffs this year. The favorites to win the NFC won 4 games last seas,on. I know there are a few teams that are always up near the top but I think the NFL has some decent parity year over year. Can't think of another sport where you can rise and fall so quickly.