Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

not replacing the roll was a guillotine-worthy offense back then yknow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Are the ???s meant to indicate you haven't figured out what happens at that point, or that you're teasing us with the promise of things happening?

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

So the police show up... And they fight the police? Then more police show up and imprison whoever doesn't get slaughtered on the spot, how does that lead to the next battle?

At the beginning of the game, the police (to be accurate, the king's Swiss guards) show up to investigate the disappearance of Armandine, and ask to search the tavern. But Leandre asks them to wait until his father comes back so they could talk to him instead.
Thus, the first "battle", which is also a kind of tutorial stage for the game, would be Leandre trying to buy time until his father comes back. And since this is a Tactical JRPG, it means there will be some sort of battle.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Greaseman posted:

Are the ???s meant to indicate you haven't figured out what happens at that point, or that you're teasing us with the promise of things happening?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

nerdz posted:

Ok, another pitch here, probably closer to HyperDevBox capabilities:

Since you guys created the award winning app Real Snowglobe, how about creating a Real Guillotine app? Slide it up to arm it, slice the rope to cut someone's head. Allow people to load pictures of other people they hate (loud neighbors, bad bosses, lovely PR managers) and off with their heads!

Man I should be getting paid for this.

This would legitimately sell, provided you didn't get targeted by some watchdog / angry stay at home mom / religious group.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

hyperdevbox posted:

At the beginning of the game, the police (to be accurate, the king's Swiss guards) show up to investigate the disappearance of Armandine, and ask to search the tavern. But Leandre asks them to wait until his father comes back so they could talk to him instead.
Thus, the first "battle", which is also a kind of tutorial stage for the game, would be Leandre trying to buy time until his father comes back. And since this is a Tactical JRPG, it means there will be some sort of battle.

Wouldn't the Swiss Guards just beat the poo poo out of his dad and wreck the tavern? These were foreign mercenaries that answered only to the king they wouldn't give a gently caress.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Aviary Attorney is a good game set in revolutionary France, has a distinctive art style, and a solid suite of pun-based humour. It also exists and is playable right now.

PYF revolutionary France video games that exist, and Fructador dev screenshots.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hyperdevbox posted:

lol at a tavern boy fighting a squad of swiss guard for a tutorial

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This is gold.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

hyperdevbox posted:

The first four battles of the game!

Making good progress with the development, I see.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

hyperdevbox posted:

Post more about the nun and her giant cross. Is there a cannon in the cross?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i'm the plague doctor still in costume 70 years after the last plague

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

lol at a tavern boy fighting a squad of swiss guard for a tutorial

I know the tavern scene is set in the story, but would it not make more sense if the tutorial was against your dad teaching you how to defend yourself?

Saint Isaias Boner brings up a good point here.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Thanks for tellng us more about the battle system. Will the player's success depend heavily upon the stealth elements, or is that more of just a nice bonus? Also, is there much of a reliance on character stats versus their equipment, and if so is there a mechanism to let players 'grind' to level up between major battles?

Also, is that a sketch of Armandine threatening her captor with a sword? I wasn't aware that two-handed swords were still in use during the French revolution - and nobody trained in fencing would ever two-hand a one-handed weapon like an infantry sabre/spadroon/etc. They also wouldn't be standing with their body squared towared their opponent... unless she's got her hands on a Japanese katana somehow and is also skilled with that?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also, is that a sketch of Armandine threatening her captor with a sword? I wasn't aware that two-handed swords were still in use during the French revolution - and nobody trained in fencing would ever two-hand a one-handed weapon like an infantry sabre/spadroon/etc. They also wouldn't be standing with their body squared towared their opponent... unless she's got her hands on a Japanese katana somehow and is also skilled with that?

It's a stick

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

To be more precise - it's a lever of a guillotine's mechanism:

Nah, just messing with you - this wouldn't be in the game as guillotines didn't have levers until the XXth century.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Ron, isn't Kickstarter available in France? Couldn't your CEO have used a French bank account? Getting 240k would be out of the question either way, but you'd be doing better than on Indiegogo. Aren't you starting to question the leadership of your company after seeing how the campaign's turning out?

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

hyperdevbox posted:

How are you going to make a real snowglobe game without snowglobes. these are just anime pirates.

weak wrists big dick fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 11, 2017

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
will there be collectibles in this game, similar to Fallout: New Vegas?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Palpek posted:

Nah, just messing with you - this wouldn't be in the game as guillotines didn't have levers until the XXth century.

True, but that feature could have been added much earlier if only the Swiss Guard had listened to Armandine Desiree, the original and true inventor of the guillotine lever, who is here depicted on her way to show it to the king. The whole reason she was missing during the tavern fight is because she was off in her lab doing experiments with her personal guillotine, trying to make the mechanisms more efficient.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Wouldn't the Swiss Guards just beat the poo poo out of his dad and wreck the tavern? These were foreign mercenaries that answered only to the king they wouldn't give a gently caress.

Yeah, I don't see a way that this doesn't end immediately after the first "battle"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
UltimateProgrammingContainer is just trolling at this point. Nuns can have Nicholas D. Wolfwood giant crucifix guns, but the game can't have guillotines? There's a loving plague doctor in 1789 Paris but we can't have loving guillotines.

gently caress you!!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 11, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

hyperdevbox posted:

The scene in the opening video, where the police come to Leandre's house, has nothing to do with the kidnapping!
Leandre always gets in to trouble with the police...
And after he manages to escape from them, he meets Armandine for the first time. They go out and enjoy each other's company for most of the day, until she suddenly gets kidnapped by unknown men.
And that's when the game begins.

So let me get this straight.

1) They go to the tavern in the morning because of some unrelated matter. Something severe enough that eight Swiss Guardsmen are there.
2) Little Shitbag bails and they chase him through the streets of Paris.
3) Then he's seen with this noble chick who has gone missing.
4) Then he is Prime Suspect #1 and the Swiss Guards - who as noted are private mercs for the King and don't give a gently caress - go to the tavern again.

So from this we can tell that;
A) It doesn't make any drat sense that you could stall for Leonce (who literally eats poo poo, incidentally) at all because Leandre is the one they want. He is right there. There is nothing to stall towards. The guards grab him and take him to some dank prison where he is tortured for information then dies in the oubliette. If he tries to resist they just threaten to kill his family.
B) This little fucker is known to the authorities by sight. The fact that he's not already been loving murdered by them presumably means he actually already is nobility or something.
C) Even those being true, the Swiss Guards having to show up to the same loving place for the same loving little poo poo twice in one day kind of suggests their patience will be at an end and any resistance is hugely dangerous, as in, 'murder his dad and his dog, rape his mother in front of him, then make him eat his own eyes' dangerous.

I know you want your cute little Aladdin homage but quite aside from the fact that it makes this well-off kid* look like a prick for stealing an apple from a common street vendor, you're acting like one of the most brutal and important events in modern history was a merry jape where young ruffians could get away with anything and nobody got guillotined. No. The fuckers would be murdered on the spot for giving the SGs grief.

*As has been noted, well off enough that someone can drop a whole meal of food and the family just finds it funny, which is especially damning given that one of the contributing causes of the French Revolution was years of bad harvests leading to food shortages. His family aren't revolutionaries, they're the loving wealthy who are being revolted against! The lot of them would get guillotined! Then again with your grasp of history you probably believe it was all settled peacefully when Mme. Armandine gave a passionate speech about the natural order of nobility over commoners, implored the peasantry in the name of God to return to their homes, and so brought peace and absolute monarchy back to France.

(PS someone who is free of sin please quote this so MegaAssemblerCarton's Ronald can see it)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mister Adequate posted:

So let me get this straight.

1) They go to the tavern in the morning because of some unrelated matter. Something severe enough that eight Swiss Guardsmen are there.
2) Little Shitbag bails and they chase him through the streets of Paris.
3) Then he's seen with this noble chick who has gone missing.
4) Then he is Prime Suspect #1 and the Swiss Guards - who as noted are private mercs for the King and don't give a gently caress - go to the tavern again.

So from this we can tell that;
A) It doesn't make any drat sense that you could stall for Leonce (who literally eats poo poo, incidentally) at all because Leandre is the one they want. He is right there. There is nothing to stall towards. The guards grab him and take him to some dank prison where he is tortured for information then dies in the oubliette. If he tries to resist they just threaten to kill his family.
B) This little fucker is known to the authorities by sight. The fact that he's not already been loving murdered by them presumably means he actually already is nobility or something.
C) Even those being true, the Swiss Guards having to show up to the same loving place for the same loving little poo poo twice in one day kind of suggests their patience will be at an end and any resistance is hugely dangerous, as in, 'murder his dad and his dog, rape his mother in front of him, then make him eat his own eyes' dangerous.

I know you want your cute little Aladdin homage but quite aside from the fact that it makes this well-off kid* look like a prick for stealing an apple from a common street vendor, you're acting like one of the most brutal and important events in modern history was a merry jape where young ruffians could get away with anything and nobody got guillotined. No. The fuckers would be murdered on the spot for giving the SGs grief.

*As has been noted, well off enough that someone can drop a whole meal of food and the family just finds it funny, which is especially damning given that one of the contributing causes of the French Revolution was years of bad harvests leading to food shortages. His family aren't revolutionaries, they're the loving wealthy who are being revolted against! The lot of them would get guillotined! Then again with your grasp of history you probably believe it was all settled peacefully when Mme. Armandine gave a passionate speech about the natural order of nobility over commoners, implored the peasantry in the name of God to return to their homes, and so brought peace and absolute monarchy back to France.

(PS someone who is free of sin please quote this so MegaAssemblerCarton's Ronald can see it)

I think this is what cultural appropriation feels like

e: wrong word

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 11, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

*As has been noted, well off enough that someone can drop a whole meal of food and the family just finds it funny, which is especially damning given that one of the contributing causes of the French Revolution was years of bad harvests leading to food shortages. His family aren't revolutionaries, they're the loving wealthy who are being revolted against! The lot of them would get guillotined!

Ehhhhhhhh... middle class small business people like tavern keepers in Paris initially made up a lot of the National Guard who were the "action arm" of the Third Estate/National Assembly's defense, and the Third Estate deputies they supported were even better off in many cases.

Leandre is still a despicable poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

GunnerJ posted:

Ehhhhhhhh... middle class small business people like tavern keepers in Paris initially made up a lot of the National Guard who were the "action arm" of the Third Estate/National Assembly's defense, and the Third Estate deputies they supported were even better off in many cases.

Leandre is still a despicable poo poo.

Okay that's fair, I may have oversold that point a bit. Still.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Considering that one of the major causes of the French Revolution was widespread hunger - the fact that the protagonist steals an apple in the intro of the game like it's a :nyoron: thing to do actually feels like a provocation.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Which just makes me think: do you even get the impression from the intro that anybody is especially hungry or concerned about food? People are pointing out that in reality, dropping a plate of food stealing an apple (roll? hard to tell) might have been a bigger deal, but everyone is just so casual about it in Thermidorverse France. It's almost like this story has no reason to be set during the French Revolution!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Like the obvious point of comparison is Aladdin, but wasn't he stealing bread because he, personally, was hungry and poor? Maybe if Leandre were shown to plausibly be a bit more struggling, but even then he didn't even steal that food for any apparent need, he just kinda did it for fun, on the way out from being chased by law enforcement. Christ, what a dumb rear end in a top hat.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I want to make a cameo in the tavern as a drunk rear end in a top hat who never stops hooting and hollerin

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The main point that people itt have been trying to make the devs understand is that what kills games (or in fact design overall) is the lack of consistency. That's the entire reason why the guillotine jokes just can't go away but sadly hyperdevbox just doesn't get it and only sees the basic layer of juvenile humor.

The pitch of this game is that it's set at the beginning of The French Revolution BUT it's a non-violent version in order to sell the product to a kids. This just doesn't compute, it's madness. The devs defend the act of removing violence from an incredibly bloody historical period of time citing historical accuracy while at the same time they have cross-wielding nuns, characters and objects borrowed freely from other historical periods and then they actually piss all over The French Revolution and its profounditiy.

I don't know, maybe they're realising their ultimate hosed up fantasy and we should expect a family-friendly Thermidor 2 set in Cambodja juuuust before the Khmer Rouge took over and then approved-for-kids Thermidor 3 set in Ukraine juuuust before Holodomor.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Palpek posted:

approved-for-kids Thermidor 3 set in Ukraine juuuust before Holodomor.

during the holodomor the plucky kulak protagonist swipes the last apple off an apple vendor's stall and runs off laughing while the starving vendor hobbles pitifully after him, collapsing in the street from hunger. somewhere a small child cries, its stomach empty.

the tutorial is a platoon of NKVD smashing in the front door of your dilapidated hut to arrest you for political crimes and you have to delay them by fighting them off with a wooden spoon until your father gets home and single-handedly chases them off

E: the opening soundtrack is something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMJ7Kg6ofK0

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 11, 2017

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

yes i know the holodomor slightly predates the formation of the NKVD but i'm only taking the same kind of license as the creators of jrpg classic, thermidor

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Let's roleplay. I'm a huge piece of poo poo. I love anime and have never heard of Holodomor before. I spend my free time looking at pictures of guillotines and anime babes with dongs.

Sell me on Holodomor, the JRPG.

I don't think you can. I think Thermidor has the market cornered. I don't really have an arguement as to why it does, it just does.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sdoots posted:

Let's roleplay. I'm a huge piece of poo poo. I love anime and have never heard of Holodomor before. I spend my free time looking at pictures of guillotines and anime babes with dongs.

Sell me on Holodomor, the JRPG.

I don't think you can. I think Thermidor has the market cornered. I don't really have an arguement as to why it does, it just does.

if i can't sell you with a bare explanation of the plot, a description of the opening tavern tutorial and a sample of the OST then I don't even know what to tell you. you've earned a spot on my ignore list.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ignored users still show up in threads, right? It just replaces their post with a "this user is on your ignore list" thing?

It's funny that everytime Mr. Ron checks this thread he sees that 90% of the people that are actually posting here are on his ignore list, I dunno what kind of cognitive dissonance is going on in his head to make that seem like an acceptable situation.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

]
I played Real Snowglobe again. I'm having second thoughts about it being a real snowglobe. I think it just might be a 3D model. I'll run some more tests when I get home.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

weak wrists big dick posted:

How are you going to make a real snowglobe game without snowglobes. these are just anime pirates.

Is this game set in a snowglobe? That would explain everything. Cultural inaccuracies, the weird looking people, the lack of guillotines, the single scene inside of a bar, etc.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

]
Have you considered zombies as a possible alternative to the current antagonists?
e: perhaps a chosen one, of sorts, for the protagonist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
A chibi anime set in late 1942 Stalingrad. Players get to experience the cheeky thrills of their exceedingly moe Russian conscript as he plays pranks and struggles for survival in one of the worst hells mankind ever created.

Highlights of the game include; hiding under a pile of corpses to avoid partaking in a failed charge of Red Square (your tsundere Commissar acts mad but he chuckles about it later), beating a civilian to death with a rock because they have half a shaker of salt ('s-sorry senpai!' you'll exclaim), and stealing a roast from a nazi camp that turns out to be a human thigh ('well it ain't mom's curried rice!' one of your squadmates observes with a chuckle while a giant teardrop rolls down your forehead).

Stretch goal at $500,000 to have babymetal do the soundtrack.

• Locked thread