Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Parts Kit posted:

Off panel to put Smitty out of his misery.

She's got the arrow....and they DO need a new defender. And look, he has a sword-wielding girlfriend right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Glagha posted:

I can't wrap my head around how you don't understand that she's clearly focused on making sure they get the job done that they all came here for and the reason he got stabbed in the first place. She has to drop what she's doing and tell Parley to teleport him to safety? Parley is handling it, she needs to send off the ghosts while they have the chance. Plus it's not like we've never literally seen Annie suppress her emotions to do the whole psychopomp thing and then immediately break down crying afterward.

Exacally.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fangz posted:

This chapter is kinda garbage. Intercutting between 'oh happy reunion' and 'oh btw your friend is possibly dying' breaks both climaxes.

You're kinda garbage.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Glagha posted:

I can't wrap my head around how you don't understand that she's clearly focused on making sure they get the job done that they all came here for and the reason he got stabbed in the first place. She has to drop what she's doing and tell Parley to teleport him to safety? Parley is handling it, she needs to send off the ghosts while they have the chance. Plus it's not like we've never literally seen Annie suppress her emotions to do the whole psychopomp thing and then immediately break down crying afterward.

Agreed - Annie getting Jeanne out of there as fast as possible is perhaps the most useful thing she could do.

Because video game references, Annie asks "Hey, can you banish the boss?" <tries> "Holy poo poo you can just banish this boss"

Lurdiak posted:

You're kinda garbage.

Oh man, quality discourse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

How long have you known me?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lurdiak posted:

How long have you known me?

Long enough in this thread to know that you usually push out pretty darn good posting.

Did I miss a sarcasm post? I missed a sarcasm post.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

I actually have no idea what Jeanne and Elfman are supposed to be feeling right now. We just watched the two reunite. Presumably, that would be one hella emotional moment, but it's just...hollow? Am I missing something? I'm wondering what it would be like in a few months to come back to this and simply cut this chapter into two separate plots.

Here you actually are missing something. Look closer at their dialogue. Does that look like the discussion of two people who've been trapped for hundreds of years? They're having the conversation they would have had if they hadn't died. They're ghosts and they're reverting to their last memories before death now that they've been freed. It's similar (though not exactly the same thing) to what happened to Mort as he entered the ether.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Long enough in this thread to know that you usually push out pretty darn good posting.

:O

Well now I feel bad. What I should've posted is:

I feel like dissing what has been a thoroughly tense and well-paced dramatic climax to the entire comic just because Annie is focusing on the problem she can solve instead of the one she can't is rather callous towards Tom's deliberate storytelling approach, especially since there are still many shoes that have yet to drop before this adventure ends.

But I didn't get enough sleep so I grump-posted.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Potato Salad posted:

Did I miss a sarcasm post? I missed a sarcasm post.

"This is garbage" "You're garbage" is just established jokey shitposting, it's fine.

But yeah, I disagree with you, especially because I don't think this is a "happy" moment. It's bittersweet at best, and Annie is doing what she came here to do because Kat and Parley should be on the Smitty case anyway. It also fits her character, she's always been the "rational" one during a crisis until she melts down completely.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I do think it'd be better if we saw the Smitty situation resolved one way or the other before the focus moves to white ghost and green ghost's merry adventures.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I have to disagree about the conclusion being weak, I find it melancholic to think of all the years they were trapped, waiting to do this, and now they get to move on. The slaying of a terrible beast only to realise their humanity. Very Dark Souls.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Smitty dead, so what

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cavelcade posted:

I have to disagree about the conclusion being weak, I find it melancholic to think of all the years they were trapped, waiting to do this, and now they get to move on. The slaying of a terrible beast only to realise their humanity. Very Dark Souls.

I don't think they've realized anything though, they're just robotic, driven by the last emotions they felt before death.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

There Bias Two posted:

I don't think they've realized anything though, they're just robotic, driven by the last emotions they felt before death.

I'm not saying they're realising it, it's about the audience and the other characters.

Realisation might even be the wrong term to use here given how it was all laid out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, this also sets up Annie looking to the side and seeing a perfectly fine Smitty and going

oh

oh gently caress

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It feels like it's dragging out, but it's been like 6 pages. It may have taken half a month to read in "real time", but it'll read so much quicker in one sitting.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

It feels like it's dragging out, but it's been like 6 pages. It may have taken half a month to read in "real time", but it'll read so much quicker in one sitting.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1092

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

'My love! We must escape over the river!'

'Jeanne... We have to talk. I am an immortal forest being and you are just a mortal. I think we should break up. Maybe you can date that nerdy guy, I think he likes you.'

'...'

Everyone dies

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

'My love! We must escape over the river!'

'Jeanne... We have to talk. I am an immortal forest being and you are just a mortal. I think we should break up. Maybe you can date that nerdy guy, I think he likes you.'

'...'

Everyone dies
Annie's eyes turn into afterlife guide symbols *cha-ching!*

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If this page is "cut to happy thing" to you, you're reading it weirdly imo. It's two ghosts blindly acting out their final meeting as if they were still alive, while Annie tries to hurry their poo poo along -- it's definitely keeping the pace from the pages that led up to it. I definitely recommend rereading this chapter when it's over.

If this were playing Jeanne's and Elfboy's loving reunion straight, it'd give that more than three panels on a six-panel page, but this is just a melancholy ghost thing happening in the middle of a tense moment, and the page treats it as such.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 11, 2017

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Two lovers from the past reunite.
Two lovers from the present have to part for this reunion.

Seems fair to me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

snip im bad

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 11, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

This chapter is so good. It's why I wanna punch the "pacing" people in the mouth every so often.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dias posted:

"This is garbage" "You're garbage" is just established jokey shitposting, it's fine.

But yeah, I disagree with you, especially because I don't think this is a "happy" moment. It's bittersweet at best, and Annie is doing what she came here to do because Kat and Parley should be on the Smitty case anyway. It also fits her character, she's always been the "rational" one during a crisis until she melts down completely.

I don't think I wrote that it's supposed to be happy or supposed to be sad (either of the plots). I did write "yay" and "sad" so I can understand the basis of my miscommunication.

Happy, bittersweet, whatever the moment is, I guess I missed reading whatever I was supposed to read entirely. Maybe it'll make sense on a re-read in a few months. My attempt at communication was: "did an emotional moment just blow over my head, or am I not alone in seeing this bit here as flip-flop tone deaf."

Addendum: If Smitty bleeding having just essentially taken a hit for Parley is supposed to come across as bittersweet and the reunion is supposed to come across as bittersweet, that could work.

Regy Rusty posted:

Here you actually are missing something. Look closer at their dialogue. Does that look like the discussion of two people who've been trapped for hundreds of years? They're having the conversation they would have had if they hadn't died. They're ghosts and they're reverting to their last memories before death now that they've been freed. It's similar (though not exactly the same thing) to what happened to Mort as he entered the ether.

That is the only way the "We have to escape" line really makes sense at all, isn't it? Huh. Dispel the anger, the hate (page below) and revert the wraith sentinel to a normal spoopy goast.
http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=777

Dias posted:

I mean, this also sets up Annie looking to the side and seeing a perfectly fine Smitty and going

oh

oh gently caress

Perhaps without anger he'll be a happy ghost! Except he'll probably have no issue moving on.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dias posted:

This chapter is so good. It's why I wanna punch the "pacing" people in the mouth every so often.

Pacing and tone are very different things <3

vvvvvv but but the world revolves around me (sorry)

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 11, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Potato Salad posted:

Pacing and tone are very different things <3

...not talking about you.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Do you think there's room for three on the boat?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Iceclaw posted:

Do you think there's room for three on the boat?

Annie gets in the boat with them and peacefully sends them off as it drifts down the river.

Only after they've passed on does she hear the waterfall.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Guys it's ok, Annie will be back for Smitty when he's ready

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
It's okay, Kat's walking off panel to stick him with the spirit-binding arrow in place of the dagger and then Smitty can just hang out on there until they find a cure for being stabbed in the heart.

It's just like being cryogenically frozen except he'll get to stay in contact with friends, so long as they don't mind hanging out at the bottom of a cliff by a river with all the good memories they had there.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

It's been a long while, so bear with me but can Parley even teleport accurately to a hospital if Smitty is injured? Smitty's luck stuff is a passive but it's possible Parley can't teleport with great accuracy to the hospital if he's injured, yeah?

George can teleport wherever she wants to. Andy could just lucky predict when she was about to teleport to him.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Lurdiak posted:

:O

Well now I feel bad. What I should've posted is:

I feel like dissing what has been a thoroughly tense and well-paced dramatic climax to the entire comic just because Annie is focusing on the problem she can solve instead of the one she can't is rather callous towards Tom's deliberate storytelling approach, especially since there are still many shoes that have yet to drop before this adventure ends.

But I didn't get enough sleep so I grump-posted.

It's not really about what Annie is doing and whether it's logical from her point of view, it's about how this scene is being presented. What is happening would be a lot more emotionally powerful told differently. Instead all I am thinking as I read this page is, "go back and show me the other thing, who gives a poo poo about this".

The fact that these two things are happening at the same time doesn't mean they would have to be shown to us at the same time.

Cat Mattress posted:

I do think it'd be better if we saw the Smitty situation resolved one way or the other before the focus moves to white ghost and green ghost's merry adventures.

This is basically what I want to say.

EDIT:

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Two two lovers lovers from from the the past present r have e to u part n for i this t reunion e..

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 12, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

George can teleport wherever she wants to. Andy could just lucky predict when she was about to teleport to him.

Back during the chapter where they showed off Coyote's tooth and Shadow got unpeeled, she had to teleport Robot to Kat's workshop, and needed Smitty to do it. Probably because she didn't know where the workshop was.
The same might apply to a hospital.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Like so many places she knows well are far superior places to be than the bottom of a ravine.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Tenebrais posted:

Back during the chapter where they showed off Coyote's tooth and Shadow got unpeeled, she had to teleport Robot to Kat's workshop, and needed Smitty to do it. Probably because she didn't know where the workshop was.
The same might apply to a hospital.

If you learn how to teleport and it's dependent on knowing where the place is, then one of the first places you'd memorize should definitely be a hospital.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

or again literally anywhere else she knows is surely an improvement over the ravine

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey you know who knows a hospital very well? It's the character offering a romantic cruise on the getaway boat to the ghosts who are already dead.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 13, 2017

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

If you learn how to teleport and it's dependent on knowing where the place is, then one of the first places you'd memorize should definitely be a hospital.

It seems like the infirmary would be one of the first places she'd be taught to bip to as part of her training. Hell, she's probably been in the hospital before just from training injuries.

Even then, if you were preparing for a project like this and didn't bother to learn how to bip to emergency medical care, you kinda deserve what happens to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The fact that it's a good idea doesn't necessarily mean they did it