Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
*a huge ominous armada of reapers emerge in the Andromeda galaxy, corralling all the civilizations into one last desperate stand on some planet*

One of the largest reapers approach and a booming voice echoes out across the land. "I AM COMMANDER SHEPARD"

"WE'LL BANG OKAY"

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Zzulu posted:

"WE'LL BANG OKAY"

ftfy

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kingtheninja posted:

I haven't followed the plot super close but isn't Andromeda a ways after Shepard time wise?

Yes, but they left the Milky Way sometime around ME2.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I wonde what's at stake. It seems impossible to have a bigger threat than the reapers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
We know there's some ancient alien technology species called the Remnant.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Olaf The Stout posted:

I wonde what's at stake. It seems impossible to have a bigger threat than the reapers.

Milky Moor posted:

I would not be surprised if the "Remanent" is the rebelling machine race that put the Reapers in such a tizzy about "We're killing you for your own good! You'll just make machine races that would do it anyways :downs: "

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

Prothean Remnant. Calling it now.

The game will act like it's a dramatic "OMG" twist but every single player will see it coming a mile away.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Section Z posted:

I would not be surprised if the "Remanent" is the rebelling machine race that put the Reapers in such a tizzy about "We're killing you for your own good! You'll just make machine races that would do it anyways :downs: "

I had that thought as I was writing that when I remembered that one of the videos briefly shows a power called Remnant VI.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Olaf The Stout posted:

Personally I would be pleasantly surprised if it's a story that has us solving a mystery rather than saving the galaxy (at least until the third instalment). It'd suit an open-world game more at least, and Bioware has a great track record with atmospheric haunted house missions. The Remnant could go either way.

hampig fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 11, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
SO I gotta say, the Deep ROads dlc is pretty stupid in DAInq. Like, you go down a long cave, kill boring blue dwarfs, kill a blue rock monster, and every cool thing about Titans and other world building is just...ignored.

The Deep Roads is a dlc where you don't do poo poo but collect pewter beer mugs and, I don't know, collect gears?

Also, I really want the overall plot to Andromeda be not a Star Trek Romulan/Human war ripoff. That's the most boring poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Drifter posted:

SO I gotta say, the Deep ROads dlc is pretty stupid in DAInq. Like, you go down a long cave, kill boring blue dwarfs, kill a blue rock monster, and every cool thing about Titans and other world building is just...ignored.

The Deep Roads is a dlc where you don't do poo poo but collect pewter beer mugs and, I don't know, collect gears?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgjfs8Ie1Rs

But yeah, it's the worst of the DLC for 2.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hate everything about the deep roads.

It's not that the concept is bad it's just that in DA:Origins the deep road levels seriously outstayed their welcome and to me they represent nothing more than trash mazes filled with trash mobs. Sure the final payoff with the darkspawn mother and the anvil was ok but the road to getting there was pure drawn out anti-fun.

Flip side: I really liked the pacing of all the ME:2 missions because none of them dragged on and lots of dialogue/narrative stuff happened to break up the shooting to keep things fresh.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

marshmallow creep posted:

Shepard's dad is Pa Ryder. His mother went back to her maiden name after the divorce, and raised Shepard on her own while Ryder pursued his career until he decided to remarry. The Ryder twins are Shepard's half-siblings.

This is so retarded its probably going to be the case.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
ME2 is perfectly paced. Unlike DA:O/DA:I, it doesn't have hours-long sections of combat followed by hours-long sections of dialogue. There's more variety, and it gives players a break from either one frequently. Every mission is short and has something unique about it and the way encounters are set up. ME3 made a lot of mechanical improvements to controls, weapons, and the power system, but it didn't have anywhere near the creativity in level layout and encounter design that ME2 had.

The latter had several boss fights, too. Boss fights own. ME3 thought boss fights were too "video gamey".

The final boss of ME2 was a giant robot skeleton with a glowing red weak point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Beefstew posted:

ME2 is perfectly paced. Unlike DA:O/DA:I, it doesn't have hours-long sections of combat followed by hours-long sections of dialogue. There's more variety, and it gives players a break from either one frequently. Every mission is short and has something unique about it and the way encounters are set up. ME3 made a lot of mechanical improvements to controls, weapons, and the power system, but it didn't have anywhere near the creativity in level layout and encounter design that ME2 had.

The latter had several boss fights, too. Boss fights own. ME3 thought boss fights were too "video gamey".

The final boss of ME2 was a giant robot skeleton with a glowing red weak point.

I JUST replayed ME2 like two months ago, and I think you're viewing this through nostalgia. ME2 had a lot of repetition in its level design, however the combat was just so much better than the dragon age series.

I will agree that there were several times ME2 had "wide open" level design arenas that allowed you to just kinda do 360 degrees of encounter engagement, while ME3 was a lot more linear. But it wasn't a LOT more.

Also, for noone who cares, I just uninstalled DAI. It just felt like it kept dragging on and on and there was too much - too many boring quests that while they may have been bearable the first time through, a second time, even 3 years apart, just was too uninterestingly redundant. Combat was also bland. I guess DAInq was decent for one, and only one, playthrough.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Not only was the Deep Roads in DAO too long, I did it before the forest, and ran out of healing potions and got trapped after the first boss fight but before the second and third boss fights. Just one boss fight per dungeon, please devs. Or at least no points of no return between boss fights.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Drifter posted:

I JUST replayed ME2 like two months ago, and I think you're viewing this through nostalgia. ME2 had a lot of repetition in its level design, however the combat was just so much better than the dragon age series.

I will agree that there were several times ME2 had "wide open" level design arenas that allowed you to just kinda do 360 degrees of encounter engagement, while ME3 was a lot more linear. But it wasn't a LOT more.

Also, for noone who cares, I just uninstalled DAI. It just felt like it kept dragging on and on and there was too much - too many boring quests that while they may have been bearable the first time through, a second time, even 3 years apart, just was too uninterestingly redundant. Combat was also bland. I guess DAInq was decent for one, and only one, playthrough.

Nope, replayed ME2 just three months ago. It was shocking how much better the design was.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
for as much praise that ME2's pacing gets, I felt the plot was a huge step down from the first one. Maybe I was expecting too much (just like everyone expected a lot more from matrix reloaded), but it felt very unsatisfying to me.

At least I managed to finish it, unlike 3.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I still remember plenty of repetitive missions eg. the entire collector base (the first time you're there), the colony where you meet Kaidan/Ashley (Horizon?), even the sun-gimmick mission where you fetch Tali. It's better than "spend 15 minutes talking to people in Orzammar, then go to the Deep Roads for a few hours" but calling it "perfectly paced" is laughable.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zzulu posted:

*a huge ominous armada of reapers emerge in the Andromeda galaxy, corralling all the civilizations into one last desperate stand on some planet*

One of the largest reapers approach and a booming voice echoes out across the land. "I AM COMMANDER SHEPARD"

"WE'LL BANG OKAY"

Hi, I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite assault on Andromeda.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hi I'm Pathfinder Ryder and this is my favorite DLC you can purchase right now on the Nexus.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Shepard companion will be day 1 dlc

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

nerdz posted:

Shepard VI companion will be day 1 dlc

"Did he really sound like that?"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Turns out the Shepard AI just immediately disconnects you when you activate it, complaining about a bad channel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm replaying ME2 right now, and as someone who doesn't play many shooty games, it's just incredible how much better the level design and combat are than ME1.

Though I have to say, ME1 has the best diegetic explanation I've ever heard for all the levels being exactly alike.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I delete messages like you on my way to real problems. Buggy though, kept crashing and the error message was how the galaxy was at stake and you should fix the problem yourself.

I really liked captain Bailey in ME2. I don't know why they redesigned so many faces in ME3 and made them all look worse. Ash looked okay, but Bailey and Udina look awful in 3. I'm also not sure how I feel about Liara's shadow broker and onwards looks. Her face looks like it had been stung a few times

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 11, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

Hi, I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite assault on Andromeda.

Andromeda is, of course, the sexy new alien teammate.

Assault dat rear end.

Halloween Jack posted:

Though I have to say, ME1 has the best diegetic explanation I've ever heard for all the levels being exactly alike.

refresh my memory, please.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Drifter posted:

refresh my memory, please.

Prefab structures for newly-colonized or remote worlds

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Pattonesque posted:

Prefab structures for newly-colonized or remote worlds

Like, it's cool that they put in the explanation, but there really are only 3 bases in the entire game outside of the main missions. They are barely even redressed in any way besides some containers in different positions.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Does the Firewalker missions lead to anything worthwhile? I did one and it was a very boring vehicle shooting mission.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wooper posted:

Does the Firewalker missions lead to anything worthwhile? I did one and it was a very boring vehicle shooting mission.

It's the only way to get a 10% Biotic damage upgrade pre-Horizon.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
chasing Eva Core on Mars is so drat silly if you're a Vanguard haha

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

JawKnee posted:

chasing Eva Core on Mars is so drat silly if you're a Vanguard haha

Or if you're any kind of tech class. She's the one robot Overload doesn't do anything to

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

loving Diana Allers :lol: and her goddamn :bigtran: BattleSpace :bigtran:, what a terrible idea. Like they could have framed it as Shepard being this pariah who (maybe) slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Batarians and ranted about space Old Ones and worked with racist terrorists and faked his own death, and have Emily Wong or Kalisah bin-whatever her name was be the ones who want to correct the record and win the public back but nope - BATTLESPACE

if it's not clear, yes I'm replaying the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Allers is the only companion in a Bioware game I outright tell to leave. I keep Morrigan and Sera around on every character. It's a key component of enjoying Mass Effect 3.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Oh yeah, she never makes it on my ship. I think there's a goon who said they invite her on and then immediately kick her off which is funny, but I can't even stand doing that

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Morrigan is one of the best characters in Dragon Age, why lump her together with Sera the living essence of monkey cheese

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zzulu posted:

Morrigan is one of the best characters in Dragon Age, why lump her together with Sera the living essence of monkey cheese

I don't know, Morrigan's a terrible character if you'll just take a look at this video here you'll see that she -

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JawKnee posted:

loving Diana Allers :lol: and her goddamn :bigtran: BattleSpace :bigtran:, what a terrible idea. Like they could have framed it as Shepard being this pariah who (maybe) slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Batarians and ranted about space Old Ones and worked with racist terrorists and faked his own death, and have Emily Wong or Kalisah bin-whatever her name was be the ones who want to correct the record and win the public back but nope - BATTLESPACE

if it's not clear, yes I'm replaying the game

Incidentally, if you don't recruit her Allers eventually gets killed off-camera.

Good riddance to a character who exists only for fanservice because an attractive woman licked a gameboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
She also dresses worse than the women on those "Let's do a 15-minute review of a 2-minute trailer that was just released" YouTube channels whose creators should all be shot into the loving sun.