Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Tarantino's a great call, especially Pulp Fiction and double especially Jackie Brown. Ever since watching it, hearing that Delphonics makes me choke up a bit.

I wasn't crazy about the Tupac music cue in Django Unchained, but the Rick Ross one was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I both love and hate how the soundtrack to Magnolia becomes diegetic.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, that wide shot with "100 Black Coffins" playing Django is choice.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DrVenkman posted:

For much better examples watch GOODFELLAS, or BOOGIE NIGHTS. Failing that try most Tarantino or if you're a TV fan both MAD MEN and THE SOPRANOS used music really well.
Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The music in suicide squad isn't just obvious, but also unfocused. There's two distinct groups the songs fall under, retro stuff and songs made for the movie (Purple Lamborghini, Standing In The Rain, etc), and they're used interchangeably, with no thematic distinction between when one or the other is used. Even within the retro stuff there's sort of a Vietnam War thing going on that fits thematically, but that's maybe half the retro songs in there, with the rest being very on the nose or, in the case of Without Me, completely useless.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Suicide Squad is a 2+ hour trailer for a lovely movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Suicide Squad is a 2+ hour trailer for a lovely movie.

I'm still sticking with the theory that the makers of Mystery Men were capable of time travel and Suicide Squad was the movie they were parodying the whole time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DrVenkman posted:

For another there's so many of them. The opening goes from song to song to song so quickly. Another bad example is GHOSTBUSTERS. The opening theme kicks in and then is awkwardly faded out 30 seconds later as though they thought they could get it under fair use or something.

To be fair the original does this as well. The theme kicks in just as the librarian is freaking out, then after the title and logo appear and transition to a shot of Columbia, the theme fades back out again as it cuts to Venkman's office door. Maybe 15 seconds all told?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
My favorite use of diegetic pop music is 100% Mulholland Drive. Film is fresh as hell

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Tarantino is pretty blatant in how much he borrows from Scorcese when it comes to use of music (I saw Goodfellas WAY after Pulp Fiction and t was a "oh so that's where he got that from" moment) but he does it well and so many do it so terribly sorry more power to him

Actually I was just thinking about the Bad To the Bone cue in T2 and for me that's like the most out of place off moment in the entire movie that feels like it was forced in by Arnie's publicist

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

They Shoot Zombies films on Youtube, entries 301-400.

Children of the Corn (302)
Let Me In (304): Hardcoded Hindi subs and an annoying watermark, but pretty good quality otherwise.
Tales from the Crypt (306)
Pumpkinhead (312): Hardcoded Croatian subs.
The Monster Squad (314)
Grindhouse (319): I don't know why this is listed separately from Planet Terror, but sure.
Cure (320)
La noche del terror ciego (322)
God Told Me To (325)
La casa dalle finestre che ridono (327)
The City of the Dead (330): Requires age verification.
Viy (331)
Tourist Trap (332): Hardcoded Croatian subs.
Dead of Night (334)
Saam gaang yi (337)
Night of the Comet (341)
Blue Velvet (343): Requires age verification.
The Man Who Laughs (351)
Mil gritos tiene la noche (355)
The Crazies (357)
The Stepford Wives (361)
Non si sevizia un paperino (365)
Calvaire (367)
American Mary (369): Requires age verification.
Lo squartatore di New York (377): In English.
Deliria (378)
The Blood on Satan’s Claw (381): Hardcoded German subs.
Dracula: Prince of Darkness (383): It's missing the opening credits but otherwise appears to be complete.
Noroi (392)
Quella villa accanto al cimitero (393): In English.
The Cat and the Canary (396)
The Spiral Staircase (397)
Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse (398)

A few of those uploads have logos in the bottom right corner, which you can disable by turning off annotations.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 11, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Noroi near 400 is loving criminal and part of why I'm only going to fill in my gaps up through 300. There's just not enough high caliber horror to fill a 1000s list. That said, you're doing god's work.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Tourist Trap has about 5 minutes of real good poo poo but the rest is a slog to get through.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

weekly font posted:

Noroi near 400 is loving criminal and part of why I'm only going to fill in my gaps up through 300. There's just not enough high caliber horror to fill a 1000s list. That said, you're doing god's work.

Noroi rules.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Got my ticket for The Love Witch tonight. My last chance to see it in the theater. I'm not the type who absolutely must see every interesting movie in the theater, but this one looks so appealing on a visual level that I'd feel like I'm missing out if I didn't catch it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, I think American Ultra made me hate Max Landis a good bit less.

The main protagonist is pretty obviously a wish-fulfillment self-insert character, but... he's an oddly self-critical one. He's basically a deeply depressed recluse who literally cares about nothing but weed, his girlfriend, and cartoons, and this is pretty bluntly portrayed as Not Good. If that's how Max Landis sees himself, he's got a shitload more self-awareness than I would have guessed, and some to spare.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(also American Ultra is a surprisingly dope movie on the whole)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ya I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. A Pineapple Express of Violence.

It's in my top 5 horror list probably.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm glad other people like American Ultra. I feel like no one else does haha.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They're almost all just very obvious and on-the-nose choices ("introducing an Australian criminal? Let's use Dirty Deeds by AC/DC!" etc.)

Goodfellas is probably the best example for great song curation in film.

That's what happens when you let a trailer company edit your film

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I liked American Ultra quite a bit. I strongly disliked the coda, and Kristen Stewart was totally wasted and her character was pretty shittily written.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

as long as we're sharing takes on American Ultra, I liked Kristen Stewart and Topher Grace but thought it was a piece of poo poo otherwise.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

I liked American Ultra quite a bit. I strongly disliked the coda, and Kristen Stewart was totally wasted and her character was pretty shittily written.

yeah Kristen Stewart did not get nearly enough to do

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, her whole character was basically "I am in love with the protagonist because that's the plot and central quality of my character".

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

weekly font posted:

Noroi near 400 is loving criminal and part of why I'm only going to fill in my gaps up through 300. There's just not enough high caliber horror to fill a 1000s list.

The overall quality has dropped a bit over the course of the list, but there are still a lot of great films in this batch. Dracula: Prince of Darkness is top-tier Hammer, Don't Torture a Duckling is a solid giallo, and Blue Velvet and Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse are just great in general. I'm actually kind of curious to see what the last 100 entries look like.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Slugworth posted:

Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums.

Yeah, I was about to say the use of Elliot Smith's Needle In The Hay in Richie's suicide attempt scene is just amazing, and the cue when Margot goes to meet him from the bus - These Days by Nico - beautiful use of slo-mo too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=949DcEoeSec

There are some sublime music choices in that film.

What makes good licensed music? One factor is when the song captures something of the emotion of the scene but without being too direct or on the nail, in which case it becomes too obvious or unsubtle.

I also love the use of Benjamin Britten works in Moonrise Kingdom.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I just remembered Tarantino used Cat People (to great effect imo) in Inglorious Basterds.

I also really really liked Can's Vitamin C leading in to the title splash, after a cold open, in Inherent Vice (also a great soundtrack).

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

as long as we're sharing takes on American Ultra, I liked Kristen Stewart and Topher Grace but thought it was a piece of poo poo otherwise.

My take exactly, I was just about offended by how flagrantly they wasted Walton Goggins.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Goodfellas is probably the best example for great song curation in film.

For a movie in its entirety, I would probably agree, but the gold standard of a single song being used in a movie for me is Frank Patterson's "Danny Boy" in Miller's Crossing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

I also really really liked Can's Vitamin C leading in to the title splash, after a cold open, in Inherent Vice (also a great soundtrack).

Yeah, that whole soundtrack is aces. Neil Young's Harvest over the nostalgic mid-film flashback and Any Day Now by Chuck Jackson over the end credits are also great.

Timby posted:

For a movie in its entirety, I would probably agree, but the gold standard of a single song being used in a movie for me is Frank Patterson's "Danny Boy" in Miller's Crossing.

Very good pick from one of my all-time favorite movies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

therattle posted:

What makes good licensed music? One factor is when the song captures something of the emotion of the scene but without being too direct or on the nail, in which case it becomes too obvious or unsubtle.

There's also just the way it's actually used in the film. The moment of silence before These Days starts is 50% of why it's so effective, the rest is riding the wave of emotion off the first notes of the song that hit you like water. It's a great aesthetic choice of song that's slipped in using really brilliant editing and cinematography, and that matches the mood of the movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A couple years ago, Disney theatrically released a documentary about apes called Born to the Wild. I only saw the trailer, but I was actually pissed they didn't use the song. Come on, Disney!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

My take exactly, I was just about offended by how flagrantly they wasted Walton Goggins.

I dunno, I thought he played a pretty good heavy. The last scene with him was the dumbest thing ever, though.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
By the way, thanks Samuel Clemens for the great list of movies available on YouTube, you're doing Satan's work! :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was a somewhat effective reveal that Goggins's character was mentally handicapped. Just conceptually, it drove home the idea that the government was the bad guys, and everyone else was a victim. Which is part of why the ending of "getting to be an agent" was so stupid and counter to the rest of the movie.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Appreciate all the music discussion, thanks everyone!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

I thought it was a somewhat effective reveal that Goggins's character was mentally handicapped. Just conceptually, it drove home the idea that the government was the bad guys, and everyone else was a victim. Which is part of why the ending of "getting to be an agent" was so stupid and counter to the rest of the movie.

I don't think it's so much that getting to be an agent is a good thing. It's more that he can finally leave the town for the first time in his life. Which is kind of a hosed up "happy ending" for a character, to be honest.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Random heads up but Amazon streaming is doing a promotion for a 99 cent rental and there's an assload of eligible stuff. Promo code is just MOVIE99.

Snagged Lost Highway so that I can finally say I've seen all of Lynch's stuff.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I dunno, I thought he played a pretty good heavy. The last scene with him was the dumbest thing ever, though.

They had Walton Goggins, who is one of the most effective actors around in terms of projecting menace through dialogue, and had most of his screentime taken up with what is maybe the least threatening villainous laugh in film history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's way prettier than it has any right to be. Plus K-Stew :swoon:

In terms of surprisingly good action/comedies, it's 2015's Premium Rush.

• Locked thread