Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Kelp Plankton posted:

Doom was cool as hell, too bad it's being followed up by like 8 hours of unwatchable races

Mario races are fine but the 4 loving hour Final Fantasy run after it is going to be painful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dordreff posted:

Mario races are fine but the 4 loving hour Final Fantasy run after it is going to be painful

Awesome, I actually get to do some gaming then.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008
I didn't catch the name of the guy on the couch during this Final Fantasy run. I recognize his voice from SGDQ last year.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Mr. Glum posted:

I didn't catch the name of the guy on the couch during this Final Fantasy run. I recognize his voice from SGDQ last year.

Puwexil is the guy on the couch.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'll take it over Pokemon, and this is a great commentary team.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

mango sentinel posted:

I'll take it over Pokemon, and this is a great commentary team.
Pokémon was such a buzz kill, I wasn't really paying attention but I swear every time I noticed it they were sighing over some sort of bad luck. I want a clip for the highlight reel of just them reacting to poo poo going wrong over and over

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Y'all are weird. I thought Doom was boring 90% oob stuff with mostly deadpan commentary and the races were fun, close, and exciting.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
the guy playing final fantasy keeps pulling his shirt collar and wiping his left hand on his knee over and over and over

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Teikanmi posted:

the guy playing final fantasy keeps pulling his shirt collar and wiping his left hand on his knee over and over and over

You get sweaty and clammy doin stuff like this.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just got up for the end of the Final Fantasy run. Had to get up early for the NES block anyway.

Any highlights from last night (since Daikatana)? I'm guessing the Mario block?

e: Apparently fellow Finn Vallu was supposed to be in SM Sunshine race but he dropped out because he had experience with HDTV input lag and they play on CRT's over at GDQ.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 11, 2017

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Gauntlet was loving great.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Dos posted:

Gauntlet was loving great.

Yeah, really intense the whole run.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Really good commentary from the runners too, definitely a recommended watch.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I think I will add Kabuki: Quantum fighter to my list - solid action and great commentary from mithical9 with some inspirational speeches too!

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Any highlights from last night (since Daikatana)? I'm guessing the Mario block?

The Mario block was great, it contained BIG JON :swoon:.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ravus posted:

The Mario block was great, it contained BIG JON :swoon:.

I've started to VOD it during breaks between games. Started from the SMB 1 race. blechy on commentary is great as always.

For kennyman666, here's a good description of Kabuki Quantum fighter run from Doc Hawkins from the other thread:

quote:

Mithical9 gives his own hero's journey, tying it back to the history of the event, indirectly summarizing the communal nature of speedrunning, and does some sick tricks, all in 11 minutes.

Also Kabuki has some kickass music.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Double post!

I'm actually surprised they didn't do a Power Blade for the western release of Magical Doropie / Krion Conquest. It might've actually fit the theme more if the main character sprite/story (what story?) would be changed in a similar way than in Power Blazer/Blade.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Little Samson was good, very few mistakes and in fact it was a recorded world record!

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Addams Family was pretty great for a short run, really tense high level play.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I won't go as far as recommending it, but FF1 was not horrible. It's a 4 hour FF run, but as far as 4 hour FF runs go they made it entertaining. Good commentary with lots of in depth knowledge. You get a glimpse into the insane game knowledge required to route an RPG.
I think this was the best RPG run they have had yet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

eSporks posted:

I won't go as far as recommending it, but FF1 was not horrible. It's a 4 hour FF run, but as far as 4 hour FF runs go they made it entertaining. Good commentary with lots of in depth knowledge. You get a glimpse into the insane game knowledge required to route an RPG.

I think it's a different type of skill required compared to the whole flashy type of speedruns that involve physics glitches and OOBing. RPG speed running requires memorization and more cognitive abilities than reflexes and muscle memory.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yea it's definitely a different skillset, and that's kinda why they are so boring. The skill and hard work isn't on display during the run, it all takes place in the prep.
That's why this commentary was so good though, it gave you a sense of just how much work they put in.
For the love of YSG don't sit down and watch it though. Put it on while you play or video game or do laundry or something.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The Ori run has been fantastic.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Some were already mentioned, but what are some of the good runs in between Gaunlet and Ori?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Castlevania: Symphony of the Airdash

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
"He'll be doing most of the talking for me"

*complete silence*

Dohoho

E: The poor floor must feel so neglected during this run. Also I gotta say rooms with timed opening and closing sounds kinda rad and kinda a nightmare for a casual unspoiled playthrough.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
When is the awful game block? I haven't been able to watch any runs yet. :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cuntellectual posted:

When is the awful game block? I haven't been able to watch any runs yet. :smith:

It's tonight I believe. Starts with Mega Man 6 and ends with Mighty No. 9 :unsmigghh:

Seriously though, I think it starts with (maybe) Batman Forever and ends right before Turok. There's a Brossentia run during that time frame, so that has to be it.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

eSporks posted:

It's really good as a "put this on while you're doing something else" run, since you can get away with just listening to the audio 90% of the time. But I wouldn't recommend it in the sense of sit down for 4 hours watch this run and only watch this run.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Speedrunning in general question if anyone knows, but what 2016 games have hit if off for speedrunning so far? Obviously Doom and Furi, both being run at AGDQ, but are there any others that have been picked up by speedrunners and aren't being shown at AGDQ?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

nessin posted:

Speedrunning in general question if anyone knows, but what 2016 games have hit if off for speedrunning so far? Obviously Doom and Furi, both being run at AGDQ, but are there any others that have been picked up by speedrunners and aren't being shown at AGDQ?

Given how big the Dishonored scene was at one point, Dishonored 2 probably, especially it's a lot faster than the original.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Putting Rondo of Blood race on my list.

"In the end, Dracula was defeated by anime."

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

nessin posted:

Dishonoured 2, SUPERHOT, Momodora 4, Dark Souls 3, that new kirby game, the PS4 Ratchet and Clank remake thing, Ori DE is an honorable mention for technically being a 2016 release, Hyper Light Drifter, Rabi Ribi and the very recently released Shantae Half Genie Hero are all games released in 2016 that have been met with decently-sized speedcommunities. Some of these are being shown at GDQ, some aren't, couldn't be arsed to cross-reference and eliminate some stuff.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I was practicing super hot as my first ever speedgame, but I never put a full run together. I should go back to that.

It's a pretty neat speedgame. It's almost all execution based, but you can take everything as slow or as fast as you want to, so the opportunity for improvement is nearly infinite.
It's also sort of easy to practice since the game has built in frame by frame. You can learn strats slow and gradually speed up.

It does have some kinda dumb strats though, like exiting and reopening the game to skip cutscenes. I'm curious if the community settled on no S&Q at all.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

eSporks posted:

It does have some kinda dumb strats though, like exiting and reopening the game to skip cutscenes. I'm curious if the community settled on no S&Q at all.

I see nothing about it specifically on their leaderboard so I assume they just embraced it? That's usually what winds up happening.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

eSporks posted:

Typical speedruns: frame-perfect reflexes
FF speedrun: math the gently caress out of it

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Pokemon Emerald: both

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Bruceski posted:

RPG routing is very interesting and I totally enjoy reading the notes and guides when those get posted, wouldn't even mind learning one such run myself, like I get why runs like that exist because they're absolutely not valueless and often quite interesting.

Just not as a spectator thing, more as a write-up thing. I can't watch runs like that, I'll space out.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm not loving the runner in this game, but the couch is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I'm not loving the runner in this game, but the couch is pretty good.

I like him. He just has so much fun running this game.

This guy, the couch crew and the sign guys are making Mighty nr. 9 look actually almost good.

You think about that.

I recommend this run.

• Locked thread