Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mad Dragon posted:

:spergin: If it doesn't have a torque convertor, it's not a slushbox.

Listen here you son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's great that they're covering your transmission. Huge nuisance, but definitely nice. After my brother's Fusion engine grenaded itself (dealership shop double-gasketed the oil filter), he got them to cover a rental also, but that was tech/shop fault, kinda doubt they'll give you a loaner for a recall. Still, it's encouraging that they say they replace them often, just means they have the routine down.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He won't get a loaner for a recall, but if the transmission is being covered by warranty work he should. I got one when my Focus' fuel pump died at like 10k miles (this was in 2002).

Granted, it was a brand new Suzuki Aerio which remains the shittiest car I have ever driven.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I am still waiting for my recall repair for the airbag. Last I heard it was 3rd quarter 2016 for it.

Oh and my battery ended up getting replaced. After doing all the cleaning and getting it working again, for the past week its been very hard to start. Took it in and warranty replaced it. Wonder if this battery will get huge corrosion issues as well.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you're worried about it, get some of that silicone paint or liquid electrical tape (swear I stocked this poo poo once when I worked at home depot) and put a coat on the terminals.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I have terminal protector stuff now. I put it on after I cleaned up the first battery but it was already hosed by that point.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

I'm too fat and old to jerk off for weird dudes :smith:

No you're not. That is among the handful of things you can never be too old to do.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

If you're worried about it, get some of that silicone paint or liquid electrical tape (swear I stocked this poo poo once when I worked at home depot) and put a coat on the terminals.

They have it, so does Lowes, amazon, Wally-world, and auto supply places

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I didn't get a loaner which sucks but I have an excuse to work from home tomorrow :woop:
'
Despite this, I'd still recommend a Focus. Love that sweet, sweet 37 highway MPG.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Very few dealers run a loaner program, insurance reasons I think.

Unless you're in a higher tier car.

When I had my impala, my service contract covered a rental . My Subaru, friggin sucks to be you; but we have a courtesy shuttle that runs for three hours.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Insurance company didn't pay for a rental?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Insurance company didn't pay for a rental?

You know I didn't even think to do that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

When I totaled a car 10 years ago the insurance company paid for a rental for a certain period of time, so a week or two.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

When I totaled a car 10 years ago the insurance company paid for a rental for a certain period of time, so a week or two.

Yeah when I got backed into and my bumper got hosed up I had a loaner for the week it was in the shop, it just never occurred to me to call for one when I drove the car to the dealership myself.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Have any of you guys watched The OA? Just finished it... not sure what to think after figuring it out at the end.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Syrian Lannister posted:

When I had my impala, my service contract covered a rental . My Subaru, friggin sucks to be you; but we have a courtesy shuttle that runs for three hours.

lol what? I got a loaner for free

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

lite_sleepr posted:

No you're not. That is among the handful of things you can never be too old to do.

Sorry, I should've clarified: I'm too fat and old to get PAID to jerk off for weird dudes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Syrian Lannister posted:

Are you daft? I just bought a 2016 MX-5, a 20,000 dollar car, and i can and am going to get a free loaner when they have to fix the ABS system, because it took a massive poo poo today with only 1100 miles on the clock.

It may not be a great loaner, probably like a base model Mazda 3 or whatever, but it will be brand new and i wont pay anything.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Naked Bear posted:

Have any of you guys watched The OA? Just finished it... not sure what to think after figuring it out at the end.

I can't really think of a better phrase to address the series than "It tried too hard". Kudos to them for giving it a good effort, but it just got too weird with people trying to prevent a tragedy by doing angry tai chi at each other.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Insurance typically won't cover a rental for mechanical breakdown. Unless Michigan is weirder than I thought.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Michigan is terrible and a no-fault state, correct? Which means even if an accident is your fault, your insurance pays for your car.

I mean, Michigan sucks for a lot of reasons, the no-fault insurance poo poo is just a bonus.

E: it's basically liability that won't pay for vehicle damages unless it meets specifc circumstances.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 11, 2017

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
No-Fault only refers to your own medical bills which your carrier pays for regardless of who is at fault for the accident.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

No-fault sucks and insurance is expensive as hell. I pay $160 a month for full coverage and a $1000 deductible which seems high compared to other places I've insured a car with comparable coverage.

As usual USAA is pretty cool because every time I've been in a wreck they've waived the deductible because I wasn't at fault.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah I totaled my jeep when I had a blowout on the interstate and USAA made that pretty easy to get through. Took like four days from the start of the claim til they gave me money.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I pay $200 every 6 months to insure my rustbox.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

bird food bathtub posted:

I can't really think of a better phrase to address the series than "It tried too hard". Kudos to them for giving it a good effort, but it just got too weird with people trying to prevent a tragedy by doing angry tai chi at each other.
Yeah, I liked it otherwise. Funky dance moves? Alright, that's a little weird, but I'll roll with it... up until that ending. After everything else, that's how they chose to end it? More than anything, that felt like a letdown. It had nothing to do with anything else that happened (or didn't happen), and just... doesn't fit in. Bullshit.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Hell yes replacing my entire front windshield :suicide:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I have a crack extending the full width, but I'm procrastinating until warmer weather or a rock shatters the entire thing into my lap.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My mom fell down the stairs and broke her neck. Lived, not paralyzed. She's only sixty but having increasing problems with illness and mobility and is in and out of the hospital for a few years now. This is kind of the last straw and I'm going to start looking at nurses or in home care a few times a week. Grown rear end woman was a hard drinker for a long time and her body is paying for it now, and I don't think her husband is really doing anything aside from shuttling her to the doctor.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Holy poo poo. Glad she's ok.

My mom's closing in on 60 and I figure in the next couple of years she'll be looking to move into a smaller, single-story home. The current split-level was great when there was a family of four plus pets, but now it's just her, a small shiba mix, a 20 year old cat, and gradually another cat with a hosed-up eye that was abandoned by neighbors when they moved a few months ago.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 11, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
drat dude, it's been a struggle for you for a while now. Sorry to hear but good luck in getting it taken care of

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

My mom fell down the stairs and broke her neck. Lived, not paralyzed. She's only sixty but having increasing problems with illness and mobility and is in and out of the hospital for a few years now. This is kind of the last straw and I'm going to start looking at nurses or in home care a few times a week. Grown rear end woman was a hard drinker for a long time and her body is paying for it now, and I don't think her husband is really doing anything aside from shuttling her to the doctor.

You're making me nervous because my mom is older than that

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My wife and I take care of an elderly couple and the best thing they ever did was move out of their home of 40 years and into a retirement village. They don't have to worry about killing themselves on the stairs or getting stuck on the toilet for hours because there is no hand rail to help them up.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They're in the process of moving into a smaller home for retirement down in the Carolinas. She's freshly out of the hospital and trying to move stuff from the second floor to the first and trips over the cat. It's not that I don't trust my stepfather, but he still works and I think it would be good to get another set of eyes on her a few times a week to take care of some tasks around the house and make sure she doesn't do anything dumb. Like I said her lifestyle has taken a toll and my sister passing last year hit her really hard. I've mentally prepared for getting that call a little earlier than expected, but meanwhile I feel the need to do something for her quality of life since I don't live around the corner anymore.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I'm sorry to hear that man. I don't think I'm ready for my parents being old. My mom has a history of alzheimer's and dementia on her side of the family and every time she forgets something or acts confused my stress spikes because I have to determine if it's just normal aging or something more sinister.

My relationship with my folks is the best it has ever been, I'm not ready for this :sigh:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
my mom died when I was in 8th grade so thankfully I don't have to watch her grow old and decrepit.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Alzheimers is the god drat worst. Years on an ambulance so I saw some poo poo and it didn't bother me, even the periodic mental reviews of mortality and thinking "that could be me" weren't bad when it was physical stuff like losing a leg or something. Like, sure it would really suck and all but I would still be ME to deal with the suck.

Five minutes in an Alzheimers ward and I would be skeeved the gently caress out for DAYS. I can seriously not get one patient out of my head because as we're bundling her up for transport she asks me who I am and I answer her, then she asks the woman next to me and the answer was the most depressed, mechanical "I'm your daughter mom".

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
My parents are saints for dealing with my dementia--afflicted grandmother for 5 years before sending her to a home specializing in care for dementia/Alzheimer's. Then like six months later, they turn around and let my cousin stay while he's on probation waiting for a court date after a year in prison. And they took me in when I got out six months after that.

I'm really scared for my mom, since it's her mother that has the dementia. Hopefully it's a good long while before I have to start worrying about her too.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My mom has a slew of health problems and takes like 47 pills every day, usually taking the stuff that makes her feel stoned beyond what the prescription calls for. And somehow she never managed to miss a refill.

She's probably still got 15-20 years unless her health problems just start deteriorating rapidly. every now and then i think I may be being optimistic with my 15-20 year guess and I get that lovely feeling that I might have to bury her soon.

My dad died when he was 55. He died of respiratory heart failure while driving home from work at like 3am. Never knew him so it didn't bother me much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So the people whose dog bit me three weeks and change back have their insurance company calling me to get my end of the story. I'm pretty well healed from it, no infections and only a few small scars. Never got medical treatment, so no hospital bills to pay. Worst possibility now is rabies, because it takes so long to show up, but I'm thinking it won't be an issue.

I had almost let go of the idea entirely that I would hear back. I had limited contact info, didn't have the dog license number or even name. I figured if I got an infection, I'd be getting a lawyer and we'd be having a good ol' time at the courthouse. Now that their insurance is calling me, I'm half-tempted to still get a lawyer and let him have fun with them. I really don't give a poo poo about a settlement. My hand was hosed up for about a week before it was fully useful again, after the swelling and bleeding (that didn't clot for four days of seeping). I probably should have had stitches, but gently caress it.

I'm basically going to wait and see if they offer anything (doubt it), but if they do, I'll refill my first aid kit and sign the rest over to a shelter or the humane society or something. If not, and it gets accusatory, I'll lawyer up and let him have fun.

Stupid loving irresponsible pet owners.

• Locked thread