Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So I made a stink about how my mom got treated at this place on their Facebook page. The owner of the place just reached out to me on Facebook.

There's a small chance this could get interesting.

So uh... they told me they just fired the person she dealt with. :stonkhat: And offered $125 off on some other work she asked about (struts).

That escalated quicker than Ron Burgundy's penis around a 14 year old.

I'm... shocked, impressed, and yet depressed that someone lost their job over this. But FFS don't try to rip off a nearly 70 year old woman with handicapped license plates...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
We're good. I use a local CPA. Between 2 jobs, occasional bonuses, farm income/expense and rental income in another state it's way too much for me to handle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm... shocked, impressed, and yet depressed that someone lost their job over this.

Don't look at it like this. They didn't lose their job because you complained, they lost their job because they went out of their way to try and defraud a customer.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yeah this is why CPAs exist so they can tell you to do X or not do X and you dont have to listen to Adiabatic sperg about amortization and diversification and index funds in the chat thread of a car forum.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't look at it like this. They didn't lose their job because you complained, they lost their job because they went out of their way to try and defraud a customer.

That's a good way of looking at it I guess.

I know their techs get commission, but this was outright fraud. I'm impressed that they reached out to me so quick and handled it. They did ask that I not leave any negative reviews anywhere about this experience, since they're trying to compensate her (and honestly, they've gone WAY above that at this point). It's a local-ish chain that's fairly well known for trying to rip people off.

I did send pictures of the brake pads to them, which probably helped. I didn't strip any EXIF data, so if Facebook didn't strip it, they would have seen the location as being less than a mile from their shop.

I'm really impressed to be honest. I seriously doubt my mother will ever go back there, but she has one hell of a credit waiting for her if she does.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

We have people with masters degrees (and higher) in here, while I don't have anything beyond a HS diploma and a couple of CE certificates. I have enough college credit hours for a bachelor's, if I could make up my own degree. But it'd be cool to meet up. Just don't knock out any of my remaining teeth unless I can knock some of yours out too. :v:

Qualifications are a display of work, perseverance, and/or knowledge. While is is very likely that those with qualifications are intelligent, the lack of qualification is not the lack of intelligence.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Easy there, Socrates.

I was kinda joking about my intelligence. I know I'm above average in a lot of ways..... and dumb as poo poo in others. We're all kinda idiot savants in some way.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I keep looking at engine swaps for my car. I want a 1uz or a straight 6 replacement for what's in there so 1jz or 2jz. I should probably fix up the suspension and sort it out with some coilovers before considering this but it's fun to dream :allears:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

funny Star Wars parody posted:

i think it can be undisputed fact that the dumbest people itt are either me or fridgecorn

funny how we are also the two best posters in this thread.

really makes you think 🤔

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Okay this right here, you shut the hell up. You're one of the smartest people on this forum, you just make a few bad decisions from time to time. I'm serious, I'm visiting DFW this summer and I will punch you in the face.

Stupid kid chat: his parents have decided to sue the news station for slander over the mention of the airsoft gun. They're really doubling down on the little angel thing.
And then someone just stepped forward and claimed he pulled it on them at a car show in August.

poo poo show continues.

Told you. The first problem is always parents ignoring the signs, and thinking that their child is an innocent, faultless babe. I'm well aware that my daughter is, well, MY daughter, and as such bears watching. She comes across as an rear end in a top hat a lot, but that's *mainly* because she's Spergey (actually mild Autism spectrum, not just a Goon.) I don't intend to let her get away with anything I can cll her on. She's 15, so my window of efficacy is waning, though.

Seriously, suing a news outlet for reporting the news...
It's not like they made it up - they are reporting what eyewitnesses said. I hate to say it, but gently caress the parents, no matter how "nice" and "warm" they are. They're part of the problem.

IOwnCalculus posted:

This. Don't feel sorry that guy that shot you went to jail because you told the cops he shot you.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Easy there, Socrates.

I was kinda joking about my intelligence. I know I'm above average in a lot of ways..... and dumb as poo poo in others. We're all kinda idiot savants in some way.

I'm smart enough to know I'm not *that* smart, which depresses me when I note how many people aren't. That is, there seem to be a whole lot of people who don't seem to realize that they're not particularly bright, and are astounded when you see right through their flimsy bullshit.
I'm above average, which means the average must be pretty low...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'll guarenttee, as an Accountant in much earlier life.....

Most financial advice from so called "professionals" is absolute crap. A lot of it is either a complete asspull from information that was valid 10 years ago OR - and this is where poo poo gets dangerous - it's advice that is to channel you into a scheme they get kickbacks for. This lead to a whooooole lot of people losing everything in the GFC if you don't remember - and it still continues on today and people lose their life savings as a result. Financial advice is one of the least regulated industries out there AND they are always coming up with new ways to hide kickbacks and lousy schemes. AAA rated? LOL so were sub primes after some repackaging!

You want to treat financial advice as if it is radioactive and protect yourself first. Want an example? Look up Great Southern Investments. Basically turned into a Ponzi scheme that took the savings of 10's of thousands. How about Gunns Plantations? Or how about Macquarie Investments 1? I could name more and the list of money lost was astonishing - and also the range of people who were financially literate that were pantsed by the 100 page dossier that hid exactly how bad the underlying securites actually were.

There is no such thing as independent, unbiased financial advice from a professional(*) (because the industry wont allow that kickback gravy train to be banned as it should be) and of course, amateur advice is basically the same put it all on black and hope.

Yes, you are hosed unless you can afford a (*) - (*) being a professional who truly ONLY has YOUR interests in mind and that's only because you pay them enough to make that happen. Have a guess how much you have to have to afford that?

In the late 80's I was into currency hedging on behalf of the company I worked for. I was very good at it and made a *lot* of profit but believe me, half the time it was an asspull. You would be shocked just how many times a hedge fund manager with 20 billion in the portfolio is literally doing asspulls and gets lucky. Those kids on Wall Street wired on cocaine and hookers? Most of the reason why they are edgy and wired as gently caress is that they know the 10 B they dropped on behalf of their clients is no more than a guess based on computer models that work on a range of assumptions that are hazy at best and outright illegal at worst.

It'll all come crashing down one day - it came drat close in the GFC and we are STILL feeling the effects of that one, when it does crash down and get exposed it'll make the Great Depression look mild and make Mad Max a reality.

I got bitten badly by the GFC and even with my level of cynical outlook on humanity was shocked just how rancid the Financial advice industry truly was and still is. And conservatives/Libertarians are doing their best to remove safeguards that existed from then, you think it's any better now?

Oh and if you have a home loan? Hit those repayments as hard as possible as early as possible. Excess payments always come off the principal and hence what you pay up front, you save in interest on the back end.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I know i'm a genius, and have the phrenological measurements to prove it :smug:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a list somewhere of people's old and new forum names? I get so loving confused.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

funny Star Wars parody posted:

i think it can be undisputed fact that the dumbest people itt are either me or fridgecorn

If you were dumb you'd never learn from your mistakes. You've definitely grown.

I'm all for paying off the debt. Our plan is to have the house paid off by the time I'm 40 (8 years time) and it's definitely so-able.

I know people will always say 'but if rates are low you can invest' blah blah but then I think "paid off house at 40. My oldest kid will barely be 13. :iia:"

tl;dr - pay off the mortgage because it'll feel bitchin.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I keep looking at engine swaps for my car. I want a 1uz or a straight 6 replacement for what's in there so 1jz or 2jz. I should probably fix up the suspension and sort it out with some coilovers before considering this but it's fun to dream :allears:

Here's a straight 6 to consider
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Speed_Six_engine

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'll guarenttee, as an Accountant in much earlier life.....

Most financial advice from so called "professionals" is absolute crap. A lot of it is either a complete asspull from information that was valid 10 years ago OR - and this is where poo poo gets dangerous - it's advice that is to channel you into a scheme they get kickbacks for. This lead to a whooooole lot of people losing everything in the GFC if you don't remember - and it still continues on today and people lose their life savings as a result. Financial advice is one of the least regulated industries out there AND they are always coming up with new ways to hide kickbacks and lousy schemes. AAA rated? LOL so were sub primes after some repackaging!

You want to treat financial advice as if it is radioactive and protect yourself first. Want an example? Look up Great Southern Investments. Basically turned into a Ponzi scheme that took the savings of 10's of thousands. How about Gunns Plantations? Or how about Macquarie Investments 1? I could name more and the list of money lost was astonishing - and also the range of people who were financially literate that were pantsed by the 100 page dossier that hid exactly how bad the underlying securites actually were.

There is no such thing as independent, unbiased financial advice from a professional(*) (because the industry wont allow that kickback gravy train to be banned as it should be) and of course, amateur advice is basically the same put it all on black and hope.

Yes, you are hosed unless you can afford a (*) - (*) being a professional who truly ONLY has YOUR interests in mind and that's only because you pay them enough to make that happen. Have a guess how much you have to have to afford that?

In the late 80's I was into currency hedging on behalf of the company I worked for. I was very good at it and made a *lot* of profit but believe me, half the time it was an asspull. You would be shocked just how many times a hedge fund manager with 20 billion in the portfolio is literally doing asspulls and gets lucky. Those kids on Wall Street wired on cocaine and hookers? Most of the reason why they are edgy and wired as gently caress is that they know the 10 B they dropped on behalf of their clients is no more than a guess based on computer models that work on a range of assumptions that are hazy at best and outright illegal at worst.

It'll all come crashing down one day - it came drat close in the GFC and we are STILL feeling the effects of that one, when it does crash down and get exposed it'll make the Great Depression look mild and make Mad Max a reality.

I got bitten badly by the GFC and even with my level of cynical outlook on humanity was shocked just how rancid the Financial advice industry truly was and still is. And conservatives/Libertarians are doing their best to remove safeguards that existed from then, you think it's any better now?

Oh and if you have a home loan? Hit those repayments as hard as possible as early as possible. Excess payments always come off the principal and hence what you pay up front, you save in interest on the back end.

Theres a thing here in the U S of A called fiduciary duty thats a binding legal document for a financial advisor to only take steps that put your moneys best interests at heart. Mind you this wont stop the small fee skimming, but its a super important litmus test to keep the super bad ones at bay.

That being said there are definitely good people that go into the financial advisory field and only do good to their clients. I know dozens of them. I think you may just have a jaded perspective.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BoostCreep posted:

Is there a list somewhere of people's old and new forum names? I get so loving confused.

We need to go back a few years for me to really figure out who everyone is again.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Theres a thing here in the U S of A called fiduciary duty thats a binding legal document for a financial advisor to only take steps that put your moneys best interests at heart. Mind you this wont stop the small fee skimming, but its a super important litmus test to keep the super bad ones at bay.

There are a couple phrases in that pair of sentences that should have "quotation marks" around them.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

We need to go back a few years for me to really figure out who everyone is again.

I'm fka Sperglord Firecock.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

im meatpimp

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

There are a couple phrases in that pair of sentences that should have "quotation marks" around them.

Its actually super goddamn serious if you get it in writing.

https://cyber.harvard.edu/trusting/unit5all.html

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

That never stopped anyone and believe me, only at best lip service is paid to that. There is a whole array of ways to get around that - the laws are laughable and just not upheld.

quote:

That being said there are definitely good people that go into the financial advisory field and only do good to their clients. I know dozens of them. I think you may just have a jaded perspective.

My cynical perspective isnt cynical enough when you truly dig into the finance industry.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

im meatpimp

Then you're a terrible poster and going back on my ignore list.

Adiabatic posted:

Its actually super goddamn serious if you get it in writing.

https://cyber.harvard.edu/trusting/unit5all.html

Lol at quoting fiduciary law from the 1980s. It's one thing to have something written... it's something else entirely to prove/enforce.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

"Hey there I am an investment advisor I will take good care of your money, I'll even sign a piece of paper promising I will, scout's honour!"

*is literally Bernie Madoff*

Sorry Adiabatic I'm going to have to agree with Cat and the 'pimp. A declaration of fiduciary duty isn't some magic ticket that will magically save your money if it turns out your advisor is a crook, and with your country's lax attitude toward white-collar crime, good luck turning it into something enforceable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the mom is losing her poo poo on FB over this and say her son 100% did not wave his "toy gun" around. But now there's a witness statement that says he did so her attempts to do damage control are not working. The new outlets have indeed edited their stories though, probably at the request of the PD, his dad is a decorated officer in good standing. Multiple others have chimed in on the discussion in our FB group about him, he's pulled his "toy gun" on several people in the past. Looks like he's hated and been kicked out of numerous meets all over town. There is also a 1000+ comment FB discussion lamenting that he's such a fuckstick that it's a shame he only got shot in the leg.

More as it develops but I figure it's puttering out unless they catch the other driver.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno's acquaintances are the best loving entertainment. :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

his dad is a decorated officer in good standing

Hate to say it but in that case he's likely going to skate. Dad makes a call or calls in a favor with a supervisor who then calls the prosecutor and gets the charges dropped down to disturbing the peace or similar (if not completely dropped under the auspices of "I'll set him straight myself"), and he'll get a slap on the wrist in the form of community service and a small fine.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

x

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 19, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

What I mean to say is if Sally has $196k chillin and decides to take out a $200k loan and then one year later decides to pay it off with the $196k she still has, in total interest paid she comes out the same as taking a $4k loan out at 130% interest.

Your example assumes the money was chilling in the bank account of the mortgagor. Generally the opportunity to pay off a large compound interest debt like a home mortgage is because of an unexpected windfall as in our case. You aren't accounting for the other ~$106000 interest saved in your example, by paying off after 1 year and not paying out the 30 year term.

If TT is able to pay off the loan and put $1500 monthly in retirement investment starting immediately, it's hard for me to see how that wouldn't pay out more, on balance. Also the loan is brand new, and I'm guessing it's his first home, so as someone else pointed out, it remains to be seen whether he'll be able to itemize anyhow.

Also I really really need a CPA. I've been turbotax-ing it for years and I really think I'm not taking advantage of the tax code.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Locator posted:

Rhyno's acquaintances are the best loving entertainment. :v:

I feel like everyone knows terrible people, I just know more terrible people than the average.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm just shocked you don't know anyone in the next administration. What are the chances of that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

I'm just shocked you don't know anyone in the next administration. What are the chances of that?

$10 says I do and just haven't realized it. Our new VEEP just ran my state into the ground so there's no way I don't know someone on his staff.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

Hate to say it but in that case he's likely going to skate.
I think we can be pretty sure he's going to get himself into further situations that result in people shooting him.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

Sorry Adiabatic I'm going to have to agree with Cat and the 'pimp. A declaration of fiduciary duty isn't some magic ticket that will magically save your money if it turns out your advisor is a crook, and with your country's lax attitude toward white-collar crime, good luck turning it into something enforceable.

It's not even crook level - it's amazing what is actually legal what a planner can get away with. Which rolls into this....

angryrobots posted:

Also I really really need a CPA. I've been turbotax-ing it for years and I really think I'm not taking advantage of the tax code.

Absolutly. Good tax accountants are worth the money and usually also tax deuctable.

Just be wary of those who also offer financial advice. Getting back money in tax avoidance from the Govt is one thing, potential fraudulent tax evasion is another.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geoj posted:

Hate to say it but in that case he's likely going to skate. Dad makes a call or calls in a favor with a supervisor who then calls the prosecutor and gets the charges dropped down to disturbing the peace or similar (if not completely dropped under the auspices of "I'll set him straight myself"), and he'll get a slap on the wrist in the form of community service and a small fine.

This may be true but if I were to guess he'll probably gently caress up again and he may not get so luck.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I am genuinely impressed yall were able to arrive at your normal "the world is poo poo everything sucks" conclusion by means of the term "fiduciary duty". Seriously good job.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mariooncrack posted:

This may be true but if I were to guess he'll probably gently caress up again and he may not get so luck.

Problem is what happens the next time he fucks up? If he just hurts himself he's just getting what's coming to him, but someone who has likely never been told "no" and has never faced serious consequences for his actions is likely to land in serious hot water - theft, aggravated assault, rape, murder, etc - before the law of averages catches up with him.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 12, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

I am genuinely impressed yall were able to arrive at your normal "the world is poo poo everything sucks" conclusion by means of the term "fiduciary duty". Seriously good job.

Wow, that's quite the exaggerated conclusion from three people simply disagreeing with your view.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Wow, that's quite the exaggerated conclusion from three people simply disagreeing with your view.

Yeah no youre right my bad

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is it bad that I couldn't sleep last night due to visions of World War 3 beginning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The world doesn't suck, but people are greedy, soulless minions of evil. Yes, even you. :v:

• Locked thread