Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Alot of gifs have been shown as to how incompetent us console players are at aiming without assistance. But i personally quite like that Ubisoft decided to keep it off, even if it was just to keep the games super fast TTK down by having to require us to actually aim. I like feeling like i've earned every kill because i got it with my own skill/tactical use of the destruction, even if the occasional headshot out of hipfiring happens :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Jehde posted:

What the gently caress.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well, time to stop playing this game

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Can you at least add an option in settings to reverse legs?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
How do I stop being loving garbage at this garbage game?

I have a great time with it, but I'd rather not be the first guy getting murdered every round. I wear my headset and call out enemy positions, I don't mark with the cameras, I try to put my gadgets in non-obvious spots, all that poo poo.

Possibly related, is there something I'm doing wrong when it comes to Kapkan traps? It seems like whenever I try to deploy one on a window, I get the prompt in brief flashes. I have to sort of wiggle around the thing I want to trap and hope that I can get the prompt to stick around, and odds are by the time I've got the trap placed, the set-up time is over.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Sdoots posted:

I have a great time with it, but I'd rather not be the first guy getting murdered every round. I wear my headset and call out enemy positions, I don't mark with the cameras, I try to put my gadgets in non-obvious spots, all that poo poo.

Possibly related, is there something I'm doing wrong when it comes to Kapkan traps? It seems like whenever I try to deploy one on a window, I get the prompt in brief flashes. I have to sort of wiggle around the thing I want to trap and hope that I can get the prompt to stick around, and odds are by the time I've got the trap placed, the set-up time is over.

It's the same as CS. Don't camp in obvious spots on defense. Good players will check all the usual spots and with peeking advantage they'll probably get you. For offense, check all the usual spots and drone everywhere. Don't keep peeking from the same window. Don't stay in one spot.

Alternatively, bait your teammates.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I will try to enter the building from another spot than my team (like I run around the entire map to get away from the spawn) and wait for fighting to break out. Without fail Everytime I pick the exact window or room someone is watching. It's maddening.
If you don't want to be the first to die just follow your team and try to kill the guys that attack them. Thatcher's gadget means he wants to tag along anyway. Or play Montagne and scout ahead invulnerable to make those call outs.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I will try to enter the building from another spot than my team (like I run around the entire map to get away from the spawn) and wait for fighting to break out. Without fail Everytime I pick the exact window or room someone is watching. It's maddening.

This is my problem, I think. I've been taught by other games that flanking is super valuable, and then Siege is beating me up for it every time.

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006

Sdoots posted:

This is my problem, I think. I've been taught by other games that flanking is super valuable, and then Siege is beating me up for it every time.

As a career roamer, this is exactly what I bank on

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Flanking is useful but only after the match drags on and the teams don't have enough guys to cover angles.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Flanking is vital in Siege too, you just have to drone ahead of where you're jumping in. 90% of the time there's no reason you should be entering without first making sure it's clear inside, especially for the initial entrance.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

They walk in after I finish droning because my life is a farce

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They walk in after I finish droning because my life is a farce

Flank with a buddy

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah if you're not confident in doing it alone then do it in pairs. And not to say you'll never get caught out if you drone properly but go in alone, but there's entries into nearly every map that are pretty safe to go into and hard for the defenders to reposition at if you've already flushed them out. Keep in mind you also get flashbangs and grenades if you need them.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Flanking is useful but only after the match drags on and the teams don't have enough guys to cover angles.

flanking is pretty much always useful. If you're attacking all from the same direction then you're conceding one of the major advantages that attackers have.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Sdoots posted:

You want to look right at where you want the trap to go and then put it down. Since you can only put traps in the very middle of a window you have to be a little more specific where you look than on a door.

But IMO you should never put Kapkan traps on windows since they're either going to shoot the window open from afar and see the trap from a mile away or they're going to blow it open with a breaching charge and destroy the trap on accident. You'll have a lot more success putting them at varying heights on doors. Forehead height actually works very well on some doors because people are looking down low for traps and don't see the beam about to intersect their face.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Play Caveira and just do constant silent step laps around the map until you know where everybody is.

No doubt my favorite operator right now, silent step is game breaking

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

The Duggler posted:

Play Caveira and just do constant silent step laps around the map until you know where everybody is.

No doubt my favorite operator right now, silent step is game breaking

The fewer people who play her the better (because it means she's easier for me to select)

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

slap me and kiss me posted:

The fewer people who play her the better (because it means she's easier for me to select)

The problem is lots of people like to play her because she has probably the best defensive skill if you can manage to get it off

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006
The silent step is ok but the pistol is where the meat is. I fended off an entire team that backed me into a corner all thanks to 1-2 shot neutralizations

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

The Duggler posted:

The problem is lots of people like to play her because she has probably the best defensive skill if you can manage to get it off

I'm not sure about that; I've managed ~100 interrogations according to my stats page, and I can count on one hand the number of times that it was game-changing.

Her pistol though, hot diggity drat. Love that thing.

E: I'd love for them to tweak silent step so that it's 100% silent on all surfaces, but makes a bunch of regular-volume noise when you walk over debris on the floor.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
Mileage may vary in that case.

It also really depends on your team being able to take that advantage and use it.

Nearly every time we get an interrogation it either ends the game or significantly turns the tide in our favor.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

IceOrb posted:

Nearly every time we get an interrogation it either ends the game or significantly turns the tide in our favor.

Case in point:

https://streamable.com/8jt5

I wish silent step didn't have it's own special sound effect that dims out your own audio; it's sort of hard to gauge what sound you're actually making while silent stepping.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 11, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sdoots posted:

Be sneaky, be a bastard, and shoot first ask questions later. You see a blob move, or think you've heard something? Don't be like a Metal Gear guard, spray and pray in the general area, run away and either wait for them to push out towards you or go around a different way.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Map knowledge helps. A lot.

Your instincts are leading you into the map's ''regular'' flows aka the predictable spots/death funnels. Learn from being on the receiving end of the bullet. Look at the killcam and try to understand what went wrong.

Once you start to know the maps and its angles/peak spots your situational awareness will also greatly improve.

Other crap that comes to mind and that i've probably written a dozen times:
As ATK, use your drone to scout ahead.
Try to idle-aim at head's level.
Sneaky sneak is fun but avoid entering a room crouched. If someone is watching it chances are he'll see your gun/arm before you can do anything. Strafe.

IceOrb posted:

Mileage may vary in that case.

It also really depends on your team being able to take that advantage and use it.

I agree, a lot of DEF tend to go berserk when an interrogation is done and throw any logic out the window.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Something that helped me a LOT in being good at the game, especially on defense but still crucially on attack: never be where people know you are. Once you give away your position, move somewhere else. If you aren't where people expect you to be, you will pick up many more kills.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The taskbar icon has white dots in the corners for some reason.

Literally unplayable. Fix your hard, game.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Eh staying in the same spot hasn't hurt me too much as defender. Maybe it's like a double bluff and they expect me move. Also I really don't like leaving the room because everyone runs around to get sick kills and someone needs to make sure they don't just pick up the hostage.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I really enjoy your posts ITT, SHY NUDIST GRRL. You started out completely new and now you're more into this game than me. I'm... oh wow 60 hours in, gold rank at best, but I'll probably always be bad and that's fine.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Thank you friend. My cross hair placement and reactions are bad but years of dojoing card games and stuff have taught me to pick up the theory of good play pretty quick.

E: also good and cool players showing me the ropes

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I played with some bad euros with another goon and now I'm too scared of what rank I'm going to end up with to finish my last couple of placement matches.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

lohli posted:

I played with some bad euros with another goon and now I'm too scared of what rank I'm going to end up with to finish my last couple of placement matches.

The trick to playing ranked in any game is not to worry about where you start. Worst case scenario, you end up down in shitsville with the people with motor control issues. Free kills!

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Yeah but I wanted to just hit plat straight away and then forget about it.

Also something I have been wondering, because this game is dumb and broken and has silly things like completely separate ratings for US + EU, what happens with regards to the end of season charms if someone has a different rank in each region? Do they get a charm for each thing or do they get whichever is highest, or do they get it based on which datacentre they connect to when the charm is being doled out?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Eh staying in the same spot hasn't hurt me too much as defender. Maybe it's like a double bluff and they expect me move. Also I really don't like leaving the room because everyone runs around to get sick kills and someone needs to make sure they don't just pick up the hostage.

It's not so much leaving the room you're in, but moving out of the literal spot where you are. You're just leaving yourself open to getting prefired.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah. I only sit still if I don't feel safe moving.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My group of friends has brain aids now and has convinced themselves that casual is superior because its somehow easier. Sure, casual matches can result in curb stomping new players but just as often it seems we go up against a team with a couple plats or diamonds and either we get shutout or, more infuriating, the other team lets us win a couple on purpose then curb stomps us. I dont find this fun at all and would much rather play ranked where most of the time the games are very close, even if it means losing a lot.

Also players in casual tend to poo poo talk more

Basticle fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 12, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I beat ranked (I did my placements and can now ignore it). Except I'm like 2899 and I'm so close to plat I might play some more

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Case in point:

https://streamable.com/8jt5

I wish silent step didn't have it's own special sound effect that dims out your own audio; it's sort of hard to gauge what sound you're actually making while silent stepping.

Another, more recent, example including you claiming its not gonna help :P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FjVWuR6mwg

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Basticle posted:

My group of friends has brain aids now and has convinced themselves that casual is superior because its somehow easier. Sure, casual matches can result in curb stomping new players but just as often it seems we go up against a team with a couple plats or diamonds and either we get shutout or, more infuriating, the other team lets us win a couple on purpose then curb stomps us. I dont find this fun at all and would much rather play ranked where most of the time the games are very close, even if it means losing a lot.

Also players in casual tend to poo poo talk more

There's a MMR system for casual that works exactly like the ranked one, you simply cannot see it. So as soon as you finish your 'placement matches' there should be no more curb stomping. I'm pretty sure the matchmaking is a bit more lax though because we are constantly facing two to three diamonds when playing casual while being low plats in ranked ourselves. I could imagine them playing in the chillax league for faster game arrangement times.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Sorry, but there is no matchmaking in casual aside from group size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

• Locked thread