Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

ladron posted:

this is what happens when you hold in your thoughts

If that were true, I and most of my culture would have screaming singularities for heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Accretionist posted:

WUHAN, CHINA:

CHONGQING, CHINA:

Actually beautiful shots, right-click save-as [cyberpunk reference].

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

some guy in the D&D left wing media thread just spent a page making a weird passive aggressive argument insisting that China's going to have a massive, Taiping style peasant uprising/mass civil unrest caused by rural/urban inequality any day now, and that it's going to topple the CCP, then revealed he has a degree in International Studies on East Asia expecting everyone to stand up and clap or something
I have a degree in Orientalism, my forecast for the future of the CCP is that after they finally eat the critical amount of American food and engage in enough capitalism, they will have gained enough girth, density and money to realize the true blinding truth of the city on the hill and adopt American Democracy as their new system of governance.

The CCP will become the new Republicans and the Democrats will send their finest Asian Americans to stock their new liberal party, which will lead them into a glorious new era with an Obama of their own.

also always post sources you nonce

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I have a degree in Orientalism, my forecast for the future of the CCP is that after they finally eat the critical amount of American food and engage in enough capitalism, they will have gained enough girth, density and money to realize the true blinding truth of the city on the hill and adopt American Democracy as their new system of governance.

The CCP will become the new Republicans and the Democrats will send their finest Asian Americans to stock their new liberal party, which will lead them into a glorious new era with an Obama of their own.

also always post sources you nonce

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798386&pagenumber=36&perpage=40#post468194823

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

some guy in the D&D left wing media thread just spent a page making a weird passive aggressive argument insisting that China's going to have a massive, Taiping style peasant uprising/mass civil unrest caused by rural/urban inequality any day now, and that it's going to topple the CCP, then revealed he has a degree in International Studies on East Asia expecting everyone to stand up and clap or something

I mean i don't think this is going to happen any day now but it certainly isn't that far fetched. it wouldn't surprise me at all if it happens at some point in my lifetime

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Here's an interesting piece of history. Republican era China had its own version of the Red Cross ― the Red Swastika Society. Apparently it had seven to ten million followers at its peak in the late 1930s.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Environmental or/and economic collapse could spark a Tai Ping like worker rebellion, but now fighting with fake iPhones, exploding factories and fireworks. Military is going to gun everyone down as they would bring troops from out of the region like last time and unless the local units stand up against them it's hosed. People would have to be so hosed that there is nothing to do but protest.

Trade War might do it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Taiping definitely had a class component, but it wasn't a purely rural peasant thing like that guy seems to think it was. They were more firmly in control of the cities than the countryside for the most part.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

big time bisexual posted:

Here's an interesting piece of history. Republican era China had its own version of the Red Cross ― the Red Swastika Society. Apparently it had seven to ten million followers at its peak in the late 1930s.

Another fun fact! The swastika, especially with dogs in each of the hooks, is a traditional Buddhist symbol for peace. I learned this after visiting an old temple in China and being really confused as to why they were all over the doors!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lollerich posted:

Wait he was a lawyer and they thought he would live in school assigned housing? So, was he working there as a teacher? Why?

He was a Barrister for 2-3 years in London before he got fed up with it and decided to just take off to Korea for a year. The first year turned into two, he got married, had three kids, and now is a professor at a university and had a pretty lucrative tutoring program going on. Even though he puts in long hours, he said living in London, even as a Barrister was difficult, and he had maybe 3 hours to relax a week. He said that Korea was like turning things on to "easy mode". He wasn't making as much as he was in London obviously, but given the cost of living and the amount of free time (even with two jobs and kids) he instantly knew he made the right decision.

When he showed up to my high school he had already been in Korea for a year and a half, so he knew all of the tricks. Public Schools in the province are required to provide lodgings for foreign teachers either in the form of an apartment they rent out to the teacher, or by paying the teacher the monthly allotment directly. He took the allotment and got his own apartment for a pretty decent price, and since it was in a newer building that was filling up a little slower than the developers hoped, they had no problem renting to a foreigner who was only going to be there for 6 months. The SUV he bought from one of his adult students he had tutored who was moving to the US, so he got a really good deal on a less than one year old SUV (the guy found out he was going to the US at the last minute so he basically had to get rid of it or pay a lot in storage or parking). The 3-4 insecure male teachers at our school were used to being able to feel superior to their students because most of them were fresh out of school and paying off debts, while they had possessions and stuff. I got a significant amount of ire from them as well when I did an introduction PPT for my students which had a lot of pictures from home. When they saw that I had a car, and a cottage on the lake they lost that feeling of superiority. My friend got the most crap from them because though, because he had a higher degree than they did, a higher social standing, and from a pretty good school.

Another co-worker there who was ex US army (when asked what university he went to) said that it was just some crappy one in Tennessee and nothing special in the US. They asked for the name and he said "Just the University of Tennessee". They immediately scurried away to a computer to check their "all important" University ranking list, and I guess it came out ahead of Seoul, which really pissed them off.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
how mad is the open letter china drafts in response to this going to be http://www.reuters.com/article/us-congress-tillerson-china-idUSKBN14V2KZ

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Another fun fact! The swastika, especially with dogs in each of the hooks, is a traditional Buddhist symbol for peace. I learned this after visiting an old temple in China and being really confused as to why they were all over the doors!

If you are in parts of Asia there are swastika markers all over maps indicating shrines.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

how mad is the open letter china drafts in response to this going to be http://www.reuters.com/article/us-congress-tillerson-china-idUSKBN14V2KZ

haier get out of china i'm serious this time

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Too much strange to plunge, not enough time.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
he's gonna get plunged with a cattle prod in about 6 months

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Ye of little faith(plunge).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
No one has ever heard of University of Toronto, except in HK. I never get fuckin' props for having gone there. My insane coteacher in Korea asked me if my grades were so bad I couldn't get into any American schools and that's why I went to Canada. When I asked her which school she went to, she got mad at me.

One of my former students here- who should not have been in our program- his dad talked to me at a parents meeting last year and told me Kid was going to school in Canada "because it's easier to get in." Cue me explaining that it's actually harder because American schools tend to ask for a lot of supplemental information and Canadian schools IME look at your grades and test scores pretty much exclusively, and his kid had eleven years of atrocious grades and no English ability.

He didn't listen. Fast-forward to this year where his kid is nearly in tears trying to find a school to apply to because even rinky-dink colleges in Saskatchewan are looking for a minimum 80 on the TOEFL and an 8 IELTS.

Kid got yanked out finally and set to 'tard cleanup in Singapore where all the Chinese kids who are rich and bad at English go. He'll probably end up buying new scores, end up at University of Iowa, and continue not doing anything for the rest of his life.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Richmond driver of Bond-style car shaken, stirred over bill
Jessica Liu is angry over $132,000 costs for repair of luxury, $200,000 Aston Martin
Alan Campbell / Richmond News

JANUARY 10, 2017 04:07 PM

Imagine, for a second, you’d just shelled out $200,000 for a very rare sports car that was made famous by the James Bond movies.

Then, fast forward the dream scenario and picture a nightmare where you crash the car — a very lightly-used, Aston Martin DB9 in Skyfall silver — have only basic insurance and are facing a $132,000 repair bill.

That is, however, exactly the situation a Richmond resident, Jessica Liu, finds herself in, having driven the stunning limited edition — only 100 were made — for only a few kilometres before she inexplicably veered off the road and hit a large stone near Blundell and Garden City roads in December 2015.

It has been more than a year since Liu — who regularly travels to and from China on business — has driven the car and seven months since she has even seen it.

Since then, Liu’s 007 replica has been languishing in the luxury bodyshop of Burrard Autostrasse (BA) in Vancouver.

For almost a year, Liu, who lives near Blundell and No. 2 roads, has been at odds with the autoshop over their bill to bring her Aston Martin back to roadworthy condition.

To put things into perspective, a pot of the car’s silver paint, which is named after Bond movie Skyfall, chimes in at $900 and a single headlight registers at $7,000.

Neither of those items, however, form the crux of Liu’s contention, with her focus trained on the cost of a pair of brake rotors ($30,000, plus labour) and a completely new subframe ($25,000, plus labour).

“I’m not going to pay a cent; I don’t even want the car back anymore; I want a refund (from the dealer),” Liu, who is in her 30s, told the Richmond News via email from China.

“I don’t think it’s safe to drive. I just drove it for two weeks; I don’t trust the car, I don’t trust the dealer and I don’t trust the autoshop’s invoices.”

Liu, who told BA to stop working on her car last fall, questioned the need to buy a pair of rotors (brakes) when only one of them is chipped and claims she can get the subframe for $10,000 less somewhere else.

To compound her misery, Liu is being dinged $200 a day by BA for storage of the Aston Martin. On Monday, that fee was $18,000.

“I shouldn’t be paying storage fees for a car that isn’t finished,” she added.

Liu bought the car, which can cost $300,000 brand new, for a “bargain” $200,000 in June 2015 from Vancouver-based, luxury car dealer MCL.

After the accident a few months later, she called the dealership and was directed to BA, where the car was towed to.

An initial repair estimate a few days later rang in at around $24,000, before rising, under closer inspection to nearer $100,000 in January of last year.

Not happy with the estimate, Liu took the car to a Richmond repair shop, where she obtained a much cheaper quote for the subframe. However, she discovered the subframe can only be bought by an Aston Martin-approved technician and the only approved facility in B.C. is BA. In July 2016, she felt she had no choice but to take her car back into BA, where it has been since.

Unhappy with the subsequent bill, she sought legal advice in October and lawyers for each party have been duking it out ever since.

Explaining parts of the $132,000 bill, Frank Van Pykstra, co-owner of BA, said the brakes are ceramic and, therefore, “they can’t be machined” like regular brakes.

“This is a car that can go 250 kilometres per hour; we can’t take any chances, it has to be 100 per cent,” said Van Pykstra.

As for needing a pair of rotors and not just one, Van Pykstra said, “When you’re braking in this car, in any car really, the brakes need to be balanced. You can’t replace just one.”

The subframe, he said, is a “restricted part,” meaning only authorized shops can buy it. “I’m not sure how (Liu) could get the subframe for that price; it would have to be from a damaged car or something or from someone using the kind of certification that only a very few people have.”

As for the storage fees, Van Pykstra said he’ll waive them if the matter resolves soon.

“We’ve done everything we can for this customer,” he added.

“We’ve made her an offer, which is valid until this Friday; we will take $5,000 off her bill and waive the storage fees.”

ICBC, which is hiking basic insurance rates next year by 4.9 per cent, announced last November that, beginning this year, it will stop insuring luxury cars worth more than $150,000.

There are about 3,000 cars worth more than $150,000 insured in B.C. this year, a 30 per cent increase from three years ago. Many of them can be seen being driven around in Richmond.

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/richmond-driver-of-bond-style-car-shaken-stirred-over-bill-1.6930405

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I was under the impression Tillerson was never going to get in.

P-Mack posted:

The Taiping definitely had a class component, but it wasn't a purely rural peasant thing like that guy seems to think it was. They were more firmly in control of the cities than the countryside for the most part.

The average person in China are less able to fight than they were 150 years ago. They would need a massive semi-coordinated protest to push past the riot cop stage and place the CCP into a binary decision, start shooting, or give in. A couple percent marching on Beijing I think would be enough to force the issue as this would swamp almost any number of units that refuse to/cannot use non-lethal force.

The CCP is really good at stamping bush fire protests right now and no one gives a poo poo about some village getting stomped on, industrial protest or people getting massacred out west. Whatever sparks it would have to resonate with city folks as villagers are too easily cut-off. It would have to be absurdly egregious as time and time again the populous happily target an individual and grind them to nothingness instead of attacking the system.

I wonder if it would be a return to Maoism.

Bit coin not great ever. They might as well call them China coins.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38591929

quote:

Chinese spot checks on Bitcoin trading places have send the price of the digital currency sliding.

China's central bank said it wanted to investigate market manipulation, money laundering and unauthorised financing.

Chinese exchanges trading in the currency have seen the price of Bitcoin fall more than 16%. The move comes amid Beijing's efforts to curb illegal capital outflow as the weakening yuan has prompted many people to try to buy foreign currencies.

The Bitcoin currency had soared to record highs in the first days of 2017, a rise attributed largely to strong demand from China where most Bitcoin trading takes place. The Chinese central bank said in a statement that the "spot checks were focused on how the exchanges implement policies including forex management and anti-money laundering."

The currency traded at $760 (£624) on Thursday morning, down from more than $915 the previous day. Earlier in January, Bitcoin hit a $1,129 high.
Anonymous currency movements

The crypto-currency relies on web-based transactions handled across thousands of computers and is used as an anonymous way to move money globally.nAs a result, some speculate that people in China are using it to circumnavigate strict government rules aimed at preventing money from leaving the country.

Currently, there's an annual maximum that people are legally allowed to change into a foreign currency.

The value of the yuan fell by about 7% last year.

In contrast, Bitcoin's value rose by 125% in 2016, making it the world's best-performing currency when compared with its central bank-issued peers.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

No one has ever heard of University of Toronto, except in HK. I never get fuckin' props for having gone there. My insane coteacher in Korea asked me if my grades were so bad I couldn't get into any American schools and that's why I went to Canada. When I asked her which school she went to, she got mad at me.

"Why don't you pay 15-20k a year in tuition to say you went to a US university? You're so dumb!"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

This guy is right but more importantly lol

raton fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 12, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Might have been better off for everyone else if she died in the crash. Christ she is insufferable and an imbecile.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Eeeeeeeehhhhh, it's not the deepest analysis but I can see a clever undergraduate reaching those conclusions from the classes they took.

To be fair, Orientalists have perhaps the most abysmal predictive record in academia after economists so if I were to make a real analysis I would make one hardly less poo poo than the one I made here. I think you're more on the money than they at least so there is your validation my good man

edit: no lol I actually finished reading it, I take it back somewhat but I would have to argue as to explain why so pffffttt

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 12, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
One of my buddies in Bangkok is a former lawyer from New York who just burned out and wanted to take the path of least resistance for the rest of his life. Since moving to Bangkok he's been mugged by a taxi driver, hit by a scooter while riding his bike, and had his bike stolen. My Korean friend suggested he was just too stupid to be a lawyer in the states. To his face.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

One of my buddies in Bangkok is a former lawyer from New York who just burned out and wanted to take the path of least resistance for the rest of his life. Since moving to Bangkok he's been mugged by a taxi driver, hit by a scooter while riding his bike, and had his bike stolen. My Korean friend suggested he was just too stupid to be a lawyer in the states. To his face.

I mean someone had to tell him.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Atlas Hugged posted:

The subtext being that he's not too stupid to be a lawyer in Bangkok? Great self own.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Outrail posted:

The subtext being that he's not too stupid to be a lawyer in Bangkok? Great self own.

hows it a self own if a korean says it to a guy in bangkok

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hows it a self own if a korean says it to a guy in bangkok

Obviously when my reading comprehension sucks and I realise the public school system has failed me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was told many times by Koreans that I must be a bad student when I would reveal I did not go to Harvard or MIT, the only two universities in the United States.

In Korea there are three universities that are considered acceptable--Seoul, Korea, and Yonsei--and if you don't go to one of them you're a failure. They then apply this reasoning globally.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Maybe it's because of all that oily poo poo he ate on monday?
Yeah, just like the locals (and anyone else), eating a two cups of oil in one meal will send that stuff right out you. There's nothing more to it than a stomach that is unwilling to process large quantities of oil. The same thing happened to me in Italy when I found how much the locals like to pour the olive oil on until the pasta is swimming in a bowl of oil.

nickmeister posted:

Why do these girls always come over so late? Is that a PUA strategy Chinese women like to use?
Not finishing work until like 8pm, then traveling home, eating dinner and showering, etc. Especially now before the holiday, the companies are squeezing so many workers for overtime to "make up" for the fact that they get time off soon. Most of the people I know are office workers and they usually finish work at 6pm, but lately many are not going home until 10pm or later, and the shittier companies are forcing them to work on their days off, again to "make up" for the time off work soon. One friend is staying until 1am lately. That Wumao girl worked as a temporary worker for some lovely office and she worked 8am to 10:30pm, with one day off each two weeks, and if she wanted more then it was counted as sick day and pay taken out of her salary.

I talk to so many people all the time and it lets me see into many different ways that China screws people over. There is no bubble of 9-5 that we assume many people get to be in (except maybe teachers). It's called overtime, but it's really just normal time. It's not only lovely Excel office jobs; I've talked to people that do things like copy writing, programming, advertising, laboratory work, nursing, and whatever else, and it's all the same from the broke factory worker up to the CEO of some illegal enterprise.
Middle class and up Chinese have no idea that the poorer people in China usually work more hours than them while making almost nothing. I've talked to factory workers and people stuck doing other lovely jobs and the average salary for them is around 2000 RMB per month with 12+ hour days, usually no day off every week (many of these awful places came up with the wonderful idea that 2 days off per month is enough for people doing physical labor all day). I recently talked to one of those bored girls in the 7Eleven that works overnight. 10pm to 10am, six days per week, for 2500 RMB per month.

LMAO at this worker's paradise. I'm so glad that other countries had people protest and hire the mob to make deals for them. I would rather work the shittiest retail job in Alabama than a fancy office job in Shanghai. The only reason I do what I do now is because there are deadlines and time-sensitive things, but as long as everything is done before then, I can do whatever I want and/or work on my couch at home or take an afternoon off because it's sunny out. My boss is the biggest bro. The people in her warehouse would be making about 2k or less for their job (definitely less outside a big city), but she pays them all 6k per month, and 10k during busy times. One guy wanted to quit because the money wasn't the only thing he could do to take care of his parents (he wanted to be near them physically), so instead my boss hired his parents and now they all work together, someone wearing the baby in the backpack, and their combined income is ensuring they can buy a new house for the parents to retire to back in the hometown.

The other part of the original question is that whole social shame Face here prevents many from openly doing things because they all act like those paranoid people that feel like strangers on the street just know what they are up to and are judging them for it. It's hilarious how paranoid they become when doing stuff they might have never done before.

---

I was thinking about the story of that Chinese woman that moved to the UK... the part where she was all about the "we Chinese" bullshit is hilarious(I can't stand hearing that even while in China) because you ask any Chinese how they feel about "we Chinese" and they have a huge list of gripes and complaints about how lovely "we Chinese" are to one another. That woman was playing her Face game to people who don't give a poo poo about Face. Unless she grew up extremely sheltered and only around richie riches, there's no way she hasn't been continuously dicked over by selfish "we Chinese" culture and chabudou everything. I get that they want to pretend there is a solidarity when they talk to non-Chinese, but it's all a lie.

Whenever people ask me what America is like, I almost always respond with something about fat people. After that it is air quality.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

I was told many times by Koreans that I must be a bad student when I would reveal I did not go to Harvard or MIT, the only two universities in the United States.

In Korea there are three universities that are considered acceptable--Seoul, Korea, and Yonsei--and if you don't go to one of them you're a failure. They then apply this reasoning globally.

They get really pissed when "bad" or "no-name" universities are ranked higher than the SKY unis. Then again it's hard to get western minds around the concept of "ranking" in Asia and how almost everything is constantly being ranked, and how heavily it influences even small decisions. I got a Dell laptop that I took to Korea and everyone was so impressed because Dell was the largest manufacturer of laptops at the time. Meanwhile my coworker with the insanely overkill Thinkpad was always asked why he didn't get a good computer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The nightmare I will carry my entire life is constantly telling parents I don't know or care why their student ranking is what it is because we're an American school and they're going to American universities and the ranking is therefore 1000000000% meaningless, they should be paying attention to grades. All education must be zero sum!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Which reminds me of my favorite Asian mythological creature, I forget the actual name of it but it's from Korea and we always called it the zero sum goblin. It's a monster that can grant wishes but only by taking things from other people. I don't remember if it's that someone else loses the same thing--your wished-for sandwich vanishing from someone else's hands--or just that you receiving a good thing means the goblin makes someone else have a lovely day to pay for it, but in any case all wishes are punished. It's great.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

I enjoy the part where she doesnt want to pay to repair the car and also doesnt want to pay the storage fees, but appears to have made no attempt to take her car back or have it towed home or whatever in the past 3 months that she's accrued these storage costs.

Haier posted:

Yeah, just like the locals (and anyone else), eating a two cups of oil in one meal will send that stuff right out you. There's nothing more to it than a stomach that is unwilling to process large quantities of oil.

and yet youve made no attempt to change your diet after 7-8 months of violent greasy sharts

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean someone had to tell him.

You're not wrong, but it's a bit harsh to tell someone recovering from reconstructive surgery that they're an idiot.

Also he quit being a lawyer to teach English.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

"Why did you go to this place on your vacation? This other one is more famous and popular, everyone in China wants to go there."
"You have answered your own question."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arbitrary Coin posted:

the ancient Romans were also big time nazis!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Rutibex posted:

the ancient Romans were also big time nazis!

"Rome is China!" according to a Chinese guy I met in gradschool. You see, when they became aware of glorious China they declared fealty to it, or some poo poo. I think he saw that movie where a Roman prince is rescued by Chinese soldiers or something and made up his own canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

My Man Shran posted:

"Rome is China!" according to a Chinese guy I met in gradschool. You see, when they became aware of glorious China they declared fealty to it, or some poo poo. I think he saw that movie where a Roman prince is rescued by Chinese soldiers or something and made up his own canon.

China got owned by Rome. Emperor Justinian sent an envoy to china to steal silk worms and bring them back to europe. broke their monopoly lol

• Locked thread