Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I like him. He just has so much fun running this game.

This guy, the couch crew and the sign guys are making Mighty nr. 9 look actually almost good.

You think about that.

I recommend this run.

Agreed, he's super dorky but in a good way. Definitely check out Mighty No. 9 if you like endearing dorks being good at mediocre games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I see nothing about it specifically on their leaderboard so I assume they just embraced it? That's usually what winds up happening.
I dunno, I never actually saw a No S&Q run, it was just sorta silly seeing someone's desktop icons mid run.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

eSporks posted:

I dunno, I never actually saw a No S&Q run, it was just sorta silly seeing someone's desktop icons mid run.

I mean, if it's faster then why not? I get that it looks funky because PC but it's not much different from similar strategies in console games.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Halo's good and Cryphon is good but if the crowd keeps shouting checkpoint every time he gets one for the next hour this is gonna get really awful.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I mean, if it's faster then why not? I get that it looks funky because PC but it's not much different from similar strategies in console games.
I guess, it just seems weird on PC. I guess if I had to make an argument it's that on console it's still the game being run, the program being reset is the ROM. On PC you could argue the run now contains a portion of Windows explorer. It's strange for Windows and steam to be part of a run.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

eSporks posted:

I guess, it just seems weird on PC. I guess if I had to make an argument it's that on console it's still the game being run, the program being reset is the ROM. On PC you could argue the run now contains a portion of Windows explorer. It's strange for Windows and steam to be part of a run.

Hey, we had a run that involved vsync being turned off in the graphical driver settings. All bets are off.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

So Batman Forever to Fortified Zone seems to be Awful Games Done Quick 2017?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ramos posted:

Hey, we had a run that involved vsync being turned off in the graphical driver settings. All bets are off.
Well, as long as I don't have to set windows system language to Japanese I guess I can't complain too much.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ramos posted:

that was daikatana tho, so does it really count?

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Batman Forever is definitely worth watching if you missed it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Definitely watch it and just laugh at all the dumb enemy names.

https://twitter.com/kylepulver/status/819411888866029568

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

And Timecop is also a Cutscene% run, so it is easily worth the watch to experience the insanity/stupidity that is Timecop.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
And Time Cop was amazing as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

watch rocky and bullwinkle if you missed it

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

no don't

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

Cool World was pretty good too.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think we can sum this up by saying "Always watch awful block. Bad games are good."

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Watch Rocky and Bullwinkle then watch the following interview with authorblues

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Hey, you! Only have 5 minutes to watch a speedrun? Well then watch King of Kings! A+++ would blaspheme again.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

WAY

NO WAY

WAY

NO WAY

edit: Garth is a strong 2nd amendment supporter

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm guessing the "blows goats" joke doesn't make it into the NES version

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just waking up. The other thread has 2500 unread posts. So I'm guessing... everything since Mighty nr 9 was good? Any highlights? Gotta put the awful block on asap.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Just waking up. The other thread has 2500 unread posts. So I'm guessing... everything since Mighty nr 9 was good? Any highlights? Gotta put the awful block on asap.

I had to leave after Nightmare on Elm Street but everything up to there was great. the Batman Forever one was especially fantastic

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Awful Block has been more or less gold the whole way through

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Oh god Catechumen with audio trouble, this should be amazing.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

catechumen is rad

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

lol it crashed already

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Off to a great start :allears:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I don't know what this wolf game is, but that's some nice guitar

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I shall add WolfQuest on my to-watch - list. It's a nature simulator. With romance, pissing and ice physics.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Specifically recommending anything in AwfulGDQ is redundant, really.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

The suggestion should probably be something like this:

- Awful Games Done Quick. Literally all of it. Start at Batman Forever by PJ and Klaige, and enjoy the ride.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Gonna recommend Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

The movement is pretty fast and unlike most FPS games there's no OOB clipping so you can actually see what the hell's going on for most of the run. He also nails all the platforming and if you've ever played the game you know it's hard as gently caress to be precise with those jumps.

it's a real butt clencher of the run and the runner really pulls you into it with some deep breathing practice

Minera fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 12, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know if I'd call it a formal recommendation because I don't watch many speedruns so this is probably just business as usual, but I'm enjoying the Fallout New Vegas run.

"This is a rock. We are now intimately familiar with the Great Khans, quest complete."

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
I've missed a lot of runs but here's the runs I've enjoyed over the past couple of days:

Mario 1, Lost Levels and Sunshine races - Great commentary and play all around with some hilarious and tense moments.
The Krion Conquest - A weird Mega Man-inspired game. It's sadly linear but has some fun glitches.
River City Ransom - Quick speed run of a classic beat-em-up.
Little Samson - Cool little NES platformer with the ability to switch to different playable characters (and use them for glitches of course!).
The Addams Family - Very short run with some very skillful play.
Bishi Bashi Special - Utterly bizarre mini-game collection thing. Has some pretty hilarious things to see. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't, but it's worth a try!
Awful Games Block - Almost every run was hilarious and worth seeing.
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Very fast-paced FPS. The run is intense with some near-death moments and a ton of extremely precise first-person platforming. I kept having to remind myself to breath.

Oh and I went back and watched the VOD of the Pre-Show and found it quite hilarious. :) It was lively with some GDQ mainstays and had a great, friendly atmosphere.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've had disappointingly little time to catch up on VOD's but I'm looking forward to runs being uploaded to Youtube. If last summer is any indication I'll be watching them during work hours for many days.

Also I pretty much agree with everything AccountingNightmare recommends - regarding what of those I've seen. (I hear Turok was excellent.)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Is it a coincidence that they're running a Nintendo block the night of (and directly up against) the Switch livestream?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm watching MechaRichter's SOTN run and I would like to know how many controllers he breaks a year if he plays this regularly.

Also this is one of those occasions that a hand cam would be really cool.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

TeaJay posted:

I'm watching MechaRichter's SOTN run and I would like to know how many controllers he breaks a year if he plays this regularly.

Also this is one of those occasions that a hand cam would be really cool.

Greater than 10, less than 100.

That question was in the interview directly after the run.

Ninja: Derp, that was over his entire SotN career, not in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Recommendations list updated up to Turok.

• Locked thread