Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah the peek pop gestures in particular are pretty nonsensical. They work one way for photos, another for music. It's really annoying and badly thought out.

Buttttttt 3D Touch trackpad is the best.

I had to quote this just to try it out. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Housh posted:

How often do you guys need to rescan your fingerprints for touch id. It feels like at the end of each month my Touch ID just stops working for unlocking my phone. It's really pissing me off. I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus. I use touch id on my ipad pro and it works flawlessly. I'm thinking my phone might be broken.

Thursdays at 2:37pm only.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Housh posted:

How often do you guys need to rescan your fingerprints for touch id. It feels like at the end of each month my Touch ID just stops working for unlocking my phone. It's really pissing me off. I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus. I use touch id on my ipad pro and it works flawlessly. I'm thinking my phone might be broken.

I think it's time for you to take a trip.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A trip where?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

xzzy posted:

A trip where?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
My saddle brown leather case (TM) for my iPhone 7 seems really slippery. When will it lose it's slipperiness and add more grip?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

My saddle brown leather case (TM) for my iPhone 7 seems really slippery. When will it lose it's slipperiness and add more grip?

Give it a week

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

I've had it for 2!

I guess the winter + dry skin doesn't really help. Perhaps I should eat some cheetos.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

I've had it for 2!

I guess the winter + dry skin doesn't really help. Perhaps I should eat some cheetos.

Perhaps. I got mine at a sweatier time of year.

I wouldn't put anything on it though, too many stories of the leather bubbling up when people do that. Or maybe just the same guy telling the same story over and over.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Housh posted:

I've never had to do this with my 7 Plus.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've also never had to rescan a finger

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have had to rescan my fingers when I get a new phone or restore

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Perhaps. I got mine at a sweatier time of year.

I wouldn't put anything on it though, too many stories of the leather bubbling up when people do that. Or maybe just the same guy telling the same story over and over.

I think a surface cleaner and more of a wax type treatment is ok. I use wonder balsam on mine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I have dictionary and autocorrect enabled. I just got a 7, updated to ios10 from 9, started using Gboard, and reset my keyboard dictionary at the same time, so I can't attribute anything to one specific thing. I've had an iPhone for a while and it was autocorrecting to a lot of poo poo I didn't want it to. Gboard has autocorrect on too.

I never realized how bad of a typer I was. Does the dictionary have to learn what a dumb I am all over again? Did I miss a setting? Does it take time to "learn" my style, per-se, again? Just wondering how intuitive it all is Is it possibly conflicting since auto correct is enabled in settings and Gboard? Maybe I just prefer the iOS style of autocorrect and should just turn off the Gboard one, would that change anything?

Wow this is all very confusing

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 12, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I just got a 7, updated to ios10 from 9

These two statements aren't possible, are you talking about two separate phones?

I'm pretty sure Gboard handles its own autocorrect. If you really want to find out, switch back to the default keyboard and see if you notice a difference.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry yeah I was riding my jailbroken 9.3.whatever iPhone 6 for a while there

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apparently the piece of poo poo 2008 Prius I bought doesn't support A2DP. Have people had more luck using a Bluetooth receiver or just a Lightning charge+aux splitter with their iPhone 7's?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Josh Lyman posted:

Apparently the piece of poo poo 2008 Prius I bought doesn't support A2DP. Have people had more luck using a Bluetooth receiver or just a Lightning charge+aux splitter with their iPhone 7's?

I started using a cheapo Tzumi Bluetooth receiver in the car that plugs into my head unit's aux port. I think it's discontinued, and looks like Griffin took it while hog and rebranded it for $20. I use it for nothing more than music in the car, and I like it. It doesn't automatically pair, though, I have to do that every time I get in the car.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Went to an Apple Store the other day and while waiting for my appointment I overheard another tech asking some lady something like "we might need to unlock your phone as part of the repair, is it ok if you give us your 4 digit code" so we can do that? And the lady just said whatever it's 1234 or whatever the code was.

That seems like a huge security risk. Is this something that techs are actually instructed to ask for now? I can see why they'd need to be able to unlock a phone to test it after repairing it but I guess I assumed they could just test the phone for whatever in some kind of diagnostic mode that doesn't let some kid unlock the phone and look through all the dick pics.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whenever I've given an iPhone in for repair, they ask for the passcode and get you to turn Find My IPhone off. Standard procedure.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why do they want find my iPhone disabled?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So they can Restore the phone if needed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Apple store gonna jack your phone and look at your sexy pics

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Systematically it asks them to turn off find my iPhone before they can even start the repair. I know when the iPhone 7's came out there was a huge thing about making sure to get the customers' screen pass codes because if you didn't get it the calibration software would wipe the phone out. And yeah, makes it easier to confirm the issue is actually resolved after the fix.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They've never asked me for my PIN, but they have asked me to enter it myself to unlock stuff.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

xzzy posted:

They've never asked me for my PIN, but they have asked me to enter it myself to unlock stuff.

This.

To be honest, I've noticed a stark decline in Apple customer service over the last two years. Even now the employees dress in stores. Way more casual now.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
It's a uniform with a company issued t shirt and it's kinda always been that way. Did you think they were dressy at some point?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You have two options: either hit restore and give them the blank phone so they can do whatever, or give them a lock code so they can try it out without wiping the data.

If they're working on a non-tech minded person they'll probably offer the second one more often for obvious reasons.

This has been the same for ages. They can't use the phone without either by design of apple's own security; they don't have a backdoor (or at least have resisted LEA attempts to reveal it).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MrBond posted:

It's a uniform with a company issued t shirt and it's kinda always been that way. Did you think they were dressy at some point?

Yeah, seriously. It's always been t-shirt and pants at that Apple Stores around here as long as I can remember. The most I could say is "more casual" is that they don't seem to mind employees with visible piercings or tattoos, but I don't really remember that ever not being a thing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The uniform changes every year or so. It looks a little more casual now, but only because the colors are brighter. I think everyone was wearing a jaunty blue the last time I visited.

Apple store employees should be in all black damnit!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Turtlenecks and mom-jeans.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Turtleneck tailored suits.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Again I know it's silly but when I used to go the t shirts were clean and the pants were clean. Every time I go now it's like they just toss the t shirt over whatever they were wearing. Seems to just be a little more careless which, maybe I'm reaching, just seems to be spreading to their customer service in general.

I thought the whole point of paying the Apple premium was amazing customer care and I've been to stores all over the country and from personal experience and just overhearing while sitting at the Genius Bar it seems like pulling teeth now to get poo poo taken care of.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

They're retail employees, not butlers. Who gives a poo poo if their jeans have creases in them or whatever

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't pay $1000 for my premium pocket computer to be serviced by unkempt peons. Jobs would never have let this happen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Weedle posted:

They're retail employees, not butlers. Who gives a poo poo if their jeans have creases in them or whatever

Forums user rear end Catchcum.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Again I know it's silly but when I used to go the t shirts were clean and the pants were clean. Every time I go now it's like they just toss the t shirt over whatever they were wearing. Seems to just be a little more careless which, maybe I'm reaching, just seems to be spreading to their customer service in general.

I thought the whole point of paying the Apple premium was amazing customer care and I've been to stores all over the country and from personal experience and just overhearing while sitting at the Genius Bar it seems like pulling teeth now to get poo poo taken care of.

I was just at my Large Mero Atlanta Lenox Mall Apple Store and i got fully taken care of on both a phone replacement before the 6s battery issue even came up and a full guts replacement of a MBPr for only a screen issue. Both times were super easy and chill.

But as always, YMMV at:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Oh totally ymmv that's why if something doesn't work out I'll roll the dice and come back for another employee.

I get how stupid the clothing thing is it was just something I noticed and was surprised by. Like if target employees started wearing jeans, I wouldn't care, but I'd notice.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Also Apple isn't exactly Rite Aid, so, even though it's retail, if they are going to present a high end experience they should do just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

They should dress like the PC in those funny ads from a few years ago.

I forget what they were advertising