Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Actually most TRPGs I've encountered don't really cover playing as the Germans.
I'm kind of surprised White Wolf never took a crack at this, given their history with sensitive historical/racial themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm kind of surprised White Wolf never took a crack at this, given their history with sensitive historical/racial themes.

Geist: The Ghost One has a whole book about playing as victims of the holocaust, doesn't it?
edit: VVV yeah, that's what I've heard and that's pretty cool

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 11, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Regarding WW2 they are actually pretty decent dude. Like the Holocaust Wraith book was as tasteful as a rpg setting book about the Holocaust can possibly be

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ominous Jazz posted:

You know, that kind of character concept might be something you wanna talk about before dropping it in the thread. If only so that people can back you down from that, what the gently caress.

That'd ruin the fun of making a troll character to completely own someone for playing time cops in an elfgame

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Nuns with Guns posted:

That'd ruin the fun of making a troll character to completely own someone for playing time cops in an elfgame

Yeah that's a pretty sick burn I guess???

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It wasn't

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ominous Jazz posted:

I'm always leery of world war 2 games because there seems to be a lot of dudes who are REALLY into the nazis

This is precisely why I avoid the hell out of Star Wars games that want you to start off as the Imperials, because it turns out that's the favorite game of some people for some unfathomable reason

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is precisely why I avoid the hell out of Star Wars games that want you to start off as the Imperials, because it turns out that's the favorite game of some people for some unfathomable reason
https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/810650507714891777
https://twitter.com/zhandlen/status/810655439444647936

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This week's Humble Book Bundle is yet another slew of Pathfinder stuff, this time including more comics/maps and some third-party adventures. No idea on quality on any of this but it's Pathfinder so :shrug:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Drone posted:

This week's Humble Book Bundle is yet another slew of Pathfinder stuff, this time including more comics/maps and some third-party adventures. No idea on quality on any of this but it's Pathfinder so :shrug:

I finally remembered to download my stuff from the last bundle last week, after giving up because the servers were so slammed.

(It turns out Paizo's download process is awful and slow even when they are not being slammed.)

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Imperial Star Wars games are my favorite ones, but I think I'm doing it wrong. Mine are less about getting a boner for the awesomeness of the imperial war machine, and more about office politics and the fascist propensity for absurdly complicated and pointless bureaucracy. As well as the propensity for continually fiddling with designs for more and more complicated and expensive equipment. The highlight of the game came when the imperial bureaucrats, having managed to steal, beg, or blackmail enough funds to build the first death star and a kajillion statues to the emperor and the gungan death camps while only half bankrupting the galaxy were thanked for their service by the emperor. And then promptly informed that the next Death Star had to be twice as large with a laundry list of new features that would make all the knowhow and factory tooling to create the first one next to useless.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

:allears: We call him Bill Krystal Meth for a reason.

Keep in mind this is the same dude who kept tweeting he was getting public support for the 'Renegade' anti-Trump party.

What do you mean you haven't heard of it???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That article is actually correct about a lot of things, namely the fact that the Empire is the Republic. But of course he then has to describe Palpatine as "a relatively benign dictator, one you could do business with. Like Pinochet, the dictator whose regime had special camps where they trained dogs to rape political prisoners."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 11, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Empire had the coolest weapons and clothes much like Nazi Germant

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Look, bad guys in fiction are always more interesting than good guys.

Look at the Horde vs Alliance ratio on World of Warcraft.

Look at Dante's Inferno. No one gives a poo poo about Paradisio, even Dante.

Superman is perfect and boring. More people like Batman. Same reason.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
More evidence for my theory that everyone who says "Superman is perfect and boring" has never read or seen anything with Superman actually in it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The HvA ratios were skewed heavily toward Alliance until they added a race more people wanted to gently caress to Horde

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

unseenlibrarian posted:

More evidence for my theory that everyone who says "Superman is perfect and boring" has never read or seen anything with Superman actually in it.

Also this

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

Totally unsubstantiated statement, which is the norm for you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

In my case it's because I refuse to look at capeshit at all :dukedog:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Plutonis posted:

In my case it's because I refuse to look at capeshit at all :dukedog:

> wanting to avoid capes but also wanting to read MHA

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

> wanting to avoid capes but also wanting to read MHA

It and Keyman are excepions.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

The HvA ratios were skewed heavily toward Alliance until they added a race more people wanted to gently caress to Horde

You know what, WoW is a long span of time. It was a bad example. When I was playing the HvA was 2:1.

Edit: the blood elf explanation makes a lot of sense now I think about it.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 11, 2017

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

unseenlibrarian posted:

how does poo poo and boring stack up is that okay?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Countblanc posted:

Horde populations also plummeted to even lower numbers then previous two expansion later because of their insistence on removing whatever moral grey area existed and turning them into lovely baddies.

Turns out most people don't like being the stormtroopers.

Serf
May 5, 2011

This is a fun and productive line of discussion we've found.

And the Empire is America

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The true terror of the stereotypical cyberpunk setting is how fast and how many people would simply accept its dystopia.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I stopped playing that wretched game after Cata's postgame broke my mind

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

The true terror of the stereotypical cyberpunk setting is how fast and how many people would simply accept its dystopia.

BOY I GOT NEWS FOR YOU.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

This is a fun and productive line of discussion we've found.
I always like it when we argue personal preferences.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I always like it when we argue personal preferences.

PASTA IS THE BEST FOOD, YOU loving DICKBAG

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheSoundNinja posted:

Steak should be well done

Also don't tip ever

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Steak should be well done

Also don't tip ever
Ketchup.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

Horde populations also plummeted to even lower numbers then previous two expansion later because of their insistence on removing whatever moral grey area existed and turning them into lovely baddies.

Turns out most people don't like being the stormtroopers.

What did they do? I haven't been keeping up but I saw Warcraft the movie and they completely rewrote Warhammer 1 to make the Orcs victims as opposed to Extra Dimensional, Mountain Dew Demon Fuel Mongols.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 12, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TheSoundNinja posted:

Pasta is a very versatile form of carbohydrate. Man, now I want some buttered noodles.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Does anyone have any experience with the fanmade Mass Effect D20 system? I'm currently playing a campaign with some friends, and our hacker party member seems way too OP. At level 2, he was able to open all the holding cells on a military flagship through an air conditioner control inside his cell, which seems a little ridiculous.
It wouldn't be too much of a problem if he wasn't also the group's medic. In our last session he refused to help another player's severely wounded character after a sudden ship crash until the rest of the group agreed to go along with a "Master Plan" he spent two weeks coming up with. The plan was just him using a future-ipad to hack a neutral military frigate in orbit (from the ground, through a signal-jamming sandstorm) and commanding it to fire on a hostile ship, also in orbit. He's currently level 4, and routinely makes rolls in the mid-30's.

Is this guy just taking advantage of a poorly QC'ed fanmade game, or is there active bullshit going on?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I was going to give it a quick read over, but it's 542 poorly optimized pages so that's going to have to wait until I'm on a machine with actual RAM instead of a several year old tablet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

And the Empire is America

Boy do I feel silly for guffawing at how ham-handedly Revenge of the Sith handled a transition over to fascism. Turns out it's going to be even easier than that!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Robot Style posted:

he refused to help another player's severely wounded character after a sudden ship crash until the rest of the group agreed to go along with a "Master Plan" he spent two weeks coming up with.

well regardless of what flaws might exist in that system i'll definitely say there's some bullshit going on that can be blamed on the player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, there's some misconduct going on there if he's using in game coercion in what sounds like an out of game context.

• Locked thread