Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rowan Dean in the Terrorgraph has multiple orgasms as he considers the triumph of Trump and the return of Abbott:

paywalled but transparently bypassable posted:

Rowan Dean: Why axing Abbott was a big mistake

THE reason some Liberals and journalists insist that Tony Abbott can’t come back is not because they think he’d be no good, but because they can’t bear to admit they were wrong.

Wrong that Malcolm Turnbull would be a better prime minister than Abbott. He isn’t. Wrong that Turnbull would win more seats than Abbott would have at the last election. He didn’t. Wrong to stoop as low as Labor and tear down their own leader. Wrong to freak out Liberal “bed-wetters” by exaggerating Abbott’s weaknesses and playing down his strengths.

Onions and knighthoods are trivial; stopping boats, cutting expenditure and fighting Islamism are not. Wrong to denigrate Abbott’s chief of staff Peta Credlin. Most CEOs would give their right hand for such talent. Wrong to buy the line that Turnbull has an economic narrative to sell. He doesn’t.

So instead of admitting they were wrong on all these fronts, and admitting that Abbott should have had their full support to complete his first term, including making the inevitable mistakes a new PM makes, they compound their initial error by refusing to countenance his return.

They are wrong again.

Abbott was made PM by the Australian public in 2013 in a landslide ­because he was viewed, rightly, as the only leader at the time capable of ­securing our borders. Which he did. Is there another scenario where Abbott might be the only leader capable of taking firm action?

Although Turnbull has kept the boats stopped, is starting to make the right noises on Islamic terrorism, and appears to be prepared to tackle MPs’ expenses, there is one issue where he and his team have made a colossal blunder. And that’s on climate change and our relationship with the White House.

The election of Donald Trump blindsided Team Turnbull. They were so cocksure about a Clinton win that in September when Malcolm made his grand entrance at the United Nations in New York, he didn’t even bother to make contact with Trump, the Republican nominee for the White House. Big mistake.

Then, displaying the most breathtaking arrogance, within a few hours of Trump’s victory, Turnbull and Julie Bishop ratified the Paris Agreement on renewable energy targets. An even bigger mistake. This is the idiotic Obama-sponsored climate change deal that Trump has said he will “tear up” because it threatens US economic prosperity. And ours.

Turnbull’s chief scientist Alan Finkel admits we will never meet the Paris targets without a significant economic impact. He wants an emissions scheme. Better just to scrap the targets.

Otherwise, as ideological basket-cases like South Australia and Victoria blow up their own coal power stations, taxpayers and businesses can look forward to a bleak future of unreliable electricity and skyrocketing bills. Increasingly, the elderly and poor won’t be able to afford airconditioning or heating; and shops and pharmacies will be chucking out hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of goods every blackout. In just one blackout, SA businesses lost $367 million. So much for “jobs and growth”!

The public will not quickly forgive those Labor premiers who have wantonly vandalised our cheap energy.

If Trump does tear up the Paris Agreement, 2017 will be the year the climate con ends.

The alternative is: are you prepared to see everyday Australians pay much higher electricity bills than they need to for no tangible environmental benefit?

Those politicians who are honest about climate change admit there is nothing Australia can do to reduce global emissions in any meaningful way. Will conservative Liberals happily sit by while One Nation steals their seats by telling this truth?

At some point, we are going to have to dramatically change direction on renewable energy policy; abandon the Paris targets and focus on making our economy grow through every means possible, particularly using what has always been our natural advantage: cheap coal.

Although Turnbull says he wants reliable, affordable energy, is he prepared to put his money where his mouth is and tear up the Paris Agreement? If Trump does, and Turnbull refuses to, we will deliberately be impoverishing ourselves while America gets richer. That way lies madness. And the end of Turnbull’s leadership.

Abbott certainly made mistakes in his first term, and pandering to climate change activism was among them. But since being dumped, he has shown a willingness to own up to, and an eagerness to correct, those errors.

Battling away on the backbench, Abbott is looking more in touch with the public than ever. From ditching 18C to defunding Palestinian aid to a free trade deal with Britain, Tony ­Abbott is sounding more like a true conservative leader.

When Australia is finally forced to abandon the climate change/ renewables farce, being the prime minister who scrapped the carbon tax will look pretty good on your leadership CV.

Rowan Dean’s Way Beyond Satire, https://www.wilkinsonpublishing.com.au

SHUT DOWN PREACHERS OF HATE

THE government is thinking about some fancy new ­department, akin to the Homeland Security in the US, or the Home Office in the UK, to co-ordinate all our counter-terrorism efforts.

“We do have a review of the Australian intelligence community under way,” Mr Turnbull said, but won’t “get into a discussion about government structures.”

Fair enough. But you can’t help thinking this may end up being another bout of plonking ideas “on and off the table” for several months, as our PM is wont to do, before deciding to leave everything exactly as it was. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

But the real question is not what the structure of any new outfit is, but what are its guiding principles?

Until the government gets serious about shutting down those Wahhabi and Salafist Muslim organisations preaching intolerance and hellbent on replacing our wicked, democratic lifestyle with their medieval desert laws, the radicalisation of young Muslims and converts is likely to ­continue.

No matter how big the new ministry is, or what it’s called

LYING DOWN FOR ROOT CAUSE

YOU’VE got to hand it to the German Greens. They’re way ahead of our miserable mob.

They’ve just come up with a cracker of an idea that’s bound to attract a whole new raft of supporters at the upcoming German elections.

According to Elisabeth Scharfenberg, their healthcare spokesthingy, if you’re not getting enough sex, or are too poor to pay for sex, then the German government will pay for a prostitute for you.

“I can imagine a public financing of sexual assistance,” Ms Scharfenberg said in the Welt am Sonntag newspaper.

Why don’t Sarah Hanson-Young and Lee Rhiannon come up with ideas like this instead of their dreary Marxist nonsense and endless banging on about Nauru?

Apparently, Ms Scharfenberg’s plan is that when you’re feeling a bit toey, pop on down to your bulk-billing Medicare GP and ask him (or her) for a certificate saying you’re not getting your rocks off often enough and — hey presto! — the government will fork out for a gift voucher to your local knock shop.

How about that? Talk about “lie-down money!” And it gives a whole new meaning to the Greens’ promise of “grassroots democracy”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Rowan Dean in the Terrorgraph has multiple orgasms as he considers the triumph of Trump and the return of Abbott:

Pissssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

Abbott certainly made mistakes in his first term, and pandering to climate change activism was among them.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Some people just want to watch the world burn

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

No, he thinks he's funny as well as insightful.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Rowan Dean is a terrible person and shouldn't be listened to even ironically.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i hope rowan dean is murdered, no offence

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Left Renewel should either come out and put their money where their mouth is or shut the gently caress up

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

Wrong that Malcolm Turnbull would be a better prime minister than Abbott. He isn’t. Wrong that Turnbull would win more seats than Abbott would have at the last election. He didn’t. Wrong to stoop as low as Labor and tear down their own leader. Wrong to freak out Liberal “bed-wetters” by exaggerating Abbott’s weaknesses and playing down his strengths.

Onions and knighthoods are trivial; stopping boats, cutting expenditure and fighting Islamism are not. Wrong to denigrate Abbott’s chief of staff Peta Credlin. Most CEOs would give their right hand for such talent. Wrong to buy the line that Turnbull has an economic narrative to sell. He doesn’t.

So instead of admitting they were wrong on all these fronts, and admitting that Abbott should have had their full support to complete his first term, including making the inevitable mistakes a new PM makes, they compound their initial error by refusing to countenance his return.

I fully endorse this author and his ideas, because if they returned Abbott to power not only would they be completely recreating Labors last term in government, we would see them get smashed to bits at the subsequent election.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I love the whole snatching of defeat from the jaws of victory feel about it, as if it wasn't plain that Turnbull only just managed to save them from oblivion by boring the electorate to death. But really this idiotic poo poo is generated by their fear that One Nation will erode their base (no poo poo, it already has) and somehow Abbott will claw it back. Just forgetting that the rest of the country will not countenance his return in any fashion.

There's no real question of what is worse for the country, its bad as it could be anyway. Tudge is getting away with utter lies about centrelink while they stonewall the entitlements scam. But Ley could have the last laugh there. Please please please go to the crossbench, it would be so much fun.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol if u think she'll defect, she'll meekly return to the backbench and angle for a ministry again in a few years

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BBJoey posted:

lol if u think she'll defect, she'll meekly return to the backbench and angle for a ministry again in a few years

That or retire at the next election. Her seat is incredibly safe for the Coalition too.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Whatever faults she has, she's got strong support in her electorate, the Nats didn't even bother putting up a candidate against her. The ALP candidate only mustered 30% to her 70%. If she wanted to go independent, she could from a position of strength. But as you say, maybe she's not brave enough.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
What are some really marginal LNP seats that would benefit from a thorough examination of their claimed expenses?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Periphery posted:

What are some really marginal LNP seats that would benefit from a thorough examination of their claimed expenses?

Dickson :getin:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Tudge is actually backing down, a bit, sort of.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/centrelink-data-system-to-be-refined/news-story/6b778d4fc3ce8df54943842c4f71ae52

quote:

Centrelink’s controversial data-matching program will be ­“refined”, as the Turnbull government tries to deflect mounting political pressure from welfare groups and Labor for it to be suspend­ed.

The Australian Council of Social­ Service yesterday joined the federal opposition in calling for a halt to the scheme and an inde­pendent review, declaring that the automated debt-recovery prog­ram was treating current and past Centrelink recipients “like second­-class citizens”.

The government is sticking by the system, which matches a welfare­ recipient’s details with inform­ation from the Australian Taxation Office to determine if there has been a “discrepancy” in their payments.

Since July, the government has clawed back $300 million in overpayments but ultimately wants to recover $4 billion in a bid to rein in the ballooning welfare bill.

Human Services Minister Alan Tudge said the government would “continue to refine and improve­” it in the months ahead, although no radical changes to the system were expected. “One of the things, for example, which we’ll be particularly looking at in the shorter term will be looking at how we can ensure that people are getting that first notification letter (of a debt),” Mr Tudge said.

“We have a legal obligation to send that letter to their address which is on their Centrelink file but we may also be able to take other action to ensure they are getting that first letter. Welfare constitutes a third of the budget now, so we must ensure that there is integrity in that ­system.”

So far 169,000 of an estimated 1.7 million letters have been sent out and the next batch is due to be delivered within days.
Here comes the pain train (wreck).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Holy gently caress, so all the reports of them getting it wrong up to now is only 10% of the total?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
So about 7.5% of the population of the entire country is going to get a threatening letter from centrelink.... what the actual gently caress.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

ewe2 posted:

Whatever faults she has, she's got strong support in her electorate, the Nats didn't even bother putting up a candidate against her.
This is all anecdotal, but the rural primary healthcare people I work with (who are pretty bolshie) had a lot more positive things to say about Ley as a competent Health Minister than the two that preceded her.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

So about 7.5% of the population of the entire country is going to get a threatening letter from centrelink.... what the actual gently caress.
But only criminal bludgers and not any real people so it's all good! I don't think this was properly thought through and will haunt this government for some time to come.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am loving gobsmacked that they want to send out 1.7 ~million~ letters

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I'm torn between wanting to spare people the stress and annoyance of dealing with all those bullshit Centrelink letters and wanting all those people to get mad as hell from having to deal with all those bullshit Centrelink letters.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Recoome posted:

Pumping up AustPost's financials so they can fully privatise it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

I would not be wanting to work in HR right now.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It would be nice if it made people realize when politicians talk about dole bludgers that they're talking about them (people, not politicians) not not some other group of bad people, like is usually imagined

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Tudge conceded he was not sure whether the $300m figure was the amount of debt recovered or simply the amount that had been identified. His office later confirmed that the $300m related to identified debt only, not debt that had been recovered."

Holy loving gently caress how loving incompetent are these guys?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wow. Now call me a cynic, but would they be taking care to target electorates that might not be a problem in an election? Because lol if they aren't. 1.7 million people are going to change their vote based on this.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hooman posted:

"Tudge conceded he was not sure whether the $300m figure was the amount of debt recovered or simply the amount that had been identified. His office later confirmed that the $300m related to identified debt only, not debt that had been recovered."

Holy loving gently caress how loving incompetent are these guys?

so how much money has been recovered???

this shouldn't be really difficult.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Leaked memo tells Centrelink staff not to process debt disputes

Centrelink management has ordered frontline staff working in branches not to process disputes over the Federal Government's controversial debt claw-back scheme and instead refer welfare recipients to an online portal.

:psyduck:

How does this keep getting worse

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh come on. The plane full of orphans hasn't crashed into the burning garbage fire where the two trains collided, yet.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Because the adults are back in charge.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

haha gently caress me i work in the APS and my senior management are pretty stupid but whatever's going on at DHS is clearly on another level

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It is that time to rewrite history on Abbott already?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

According to my napkinomics, the government wants to reclaim $4 Billion from approximately 1.7 million people, which works out as $2352.91 per "identification". The problem as I see it is that the 4 billion figure is probably some estimate with the assumption that everyone who has been identified as having a debt is actually owing money.

I thought they said that of all the letters they sent out, 70% were settled without documentation (so if you extrapolate upwards, 1,190,000 letters will be false positives), with only 2.2% actually requiring real documentation and possible repayments (37,400 people in total). This raises some pretty big red flags as there is a supermassive error rate here which is just mind boggling. You really wouldn't be getting away with this anywhere else, or if this already wasn't such a marginalised/disenfrachised group of people. The Government literally decided to cast what is probably the largest potential debt dragnet in history, sending out 1.7 million notices to capture approximately 37,400 people.

Now this is where it gets messy. 37,400 people probably won't owe 4 billion, it works out to over $100k per person. From what they've said (which isn't hyper clear), they've identified approximately $300 million from the 169,000 notices they've already sent. For this, we'll assume that they expected to get the full figure from that number of notices, which means the average alleged debt is about $1775.15 per case. Extrapolating this to the full figure (1.7 million notices), gives us a number slightly over $3 billion (honestly this is pretty close given the figures we've been given, which is poo poo).

What is interesting to me as a person who does statistics is that this doesn't make sense at all. By this time, they'd have some pretty good idea about the money they actually are recovering vs. the money they wanted to recover, which would allow for more accurate estimates of the money they'll recover as it centers around the true mean. What I want to know is whether 2.2% required to show documentation represent the absolute upper limit of potential debt, or whether it's the remaining 27.8% which isn't touched on. If we use the 2.2% as the maximum limit of debt and using the two average debt levels, the government should only be expecting to recover anywhere from $6 million to $9 million with what has already been sent.

I'm using a lot of assumptions here and the other issue is that people may have a debt, but it only be much below what they claimed (that one guy only had like $50-$150 out I think) so I'm not really sure where they are pulling numbers from beside their rear end. If the system and everything was peachy, why can't they release a more detailed data about this to shut up the dumb nay-sayers.

Fake edit:The Arsetralian thing said that there was an error rate of approximately 1 in 5. Any idea how this fits in because I can't make this really jive with the numbers they've released. It doesn't make any sense.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I think those are wishy numbers, going by the insanity plain in the rest of the Centrelink news. You'll only get truthiness out of these people even as the program crashes and burns.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Like I'm having a hard time reconciling the numbers. Either they actually don't know how much money they will recover, or they are misleading the public on purpose.

Because it's all a big numbers game, I am sure they'd know how much money they have recovered thus far, so the numbers don't actually make sense as it stands.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
This centerlink debacle makes me wonder that if I, as a permanent resident who lives overseas who has also used their services some time in the past decade, get a letter of redress: where are they going to send it? It's not like I keep a PO box running for just-in-casies.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
EDIT: ^^ To whatever the last address they had on file for you was.

Recoome posted:

Like I'm having a hard time reconciling the numbers. Either they actually don't know how much money they will recover, or they are misleading the public on purpose.

Because it's all a big numbers game, I am sure they'd know how much money they have recovered thus far, so the numbers don't actually make sense as it stands.

It's almost certainly the first, because even if debts do get served and start getting repaid you have no idea how long it will take, whether people will stay solvent, die etc. etc.

I do wonder how much of this is because the bureaucrats are hosed. I mean surely it was so clear this was completely idiotic, anyone with any shred of understanding would have gone, hey wait a second people are going to loving hate us for this, so I wonder if the top decision makers just aren't getting the information and all they're getting from the people below them is "everything is fine, we've recovered 300million, everything is going to plan!"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
My best guess is that once the dust settles the actual debt identified will be in the tens of millions not billions and the costs associated with all the appeals (when taken across the whole of government) will vastly out strip it. I base this from having worked in the debt recovery area of a revenue raising department. You can't employ all the staff you need to recover all the debt there becomes a point of diminishing returns. This whole plan looks like some consultant from private enterprise punched in a bunch of numbers came up with the 4 billion dollar figure and then did a power point presentation to the Minister over the objections of all of the departmental staff present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A Queensland One Nation candidate has called the photo of a drowned three-year-old Syrian refugee “fabricated” news in a blog post, saying “as it turns out this kid was alive and well”.

The post, titled “The drowned boy, the lie that changed the world”, was written by Peter Rogers, the One Nation candidate for the Queensland state seat of Mulgrave.

Rogers argues that world leaders are to blame for giving credit to the “farcical drowned boy story”, and opening the floodgates for “fraudsters” (refugees) to come to Australia.

He says former prime minister Tony Abbott was duped by the fake photo into bringing “tens of thousands of refugees” to Australia.

“The greatest social changes that happen in Australia are founded on total lies and a fabricated incident. Look at Port Arthur,” Rogers writes.

There is a conspiracy theory that convicted mass murderer Martin Bryant was not responsible for the 1996 Port Arthur massacre, an incident that led to then prime minister John Howard changing gun laws and initiating a gun buyback.

“Abbott couldnt act quick enough to get more of these so called poor people in here… The whole photo thing was fabricated, As it turns out this kid was alive and well.”

Rogers doesn’t provide evidence for how he thinks the photo was faked.

• Locked thread