Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

alcaras posted:

Suggestions on Charlemagne starting locations? I like to start small and grow gradually big.

No pref as to religion/geography.

One of the singular Norwegian counties like Nidaros. Easily conquerable neighbours and then you can raid the gently caress out of the English for years with your free ships for a gently caress ton of gold. Forming the Kingdom of Norway is super easy with all the gold you get then you can just gently caress around as you please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
As an aside, the suez canal mod loving owns and I'm never going to play again without it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

As an aside, the suez canal mod loving owns and I'm never going to play again without it.
Holy poo poo yeah, that sounds super good.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

shut up blegum posted:

Oh yeah, this reminds me. Someone who I owed a favor forced me to accept a matrilineal betrothal between his daughter and my son. Still have to figure a way to get out of that one, since I'm the king and that dude was my duke. I'm guessing if he's dead I won't owe him a favor anymore and can just break the betrothal?

Can't you just break the betrothal or, at worst, refuse to accept the marriage when he/she comes of age?

Either that or murder the wife in whatever way possible. Either assassinate her, or if you're desperate arrest and execute her and eat the penalty.

Worst case scenario: gently caress your son and move on to next in line by (if you're Christian) landing him in a temple. That is if he isn't landed already.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This happened to me before. You can definitely break the betrothal or refuse the marriage. It's really quite silly.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Hey all, this game is rad as hell and I've got a conundrum I need some help with. I'm doing a Viking run and managed to reform Norse paganism, becoming Fylkir in the process. This is really cool and to celebrate, I started a great holy war for Aquitaine. It's been going really well, but out of nowhere, the king of West Francia decides to join in and takes my capitol, and with it, all of my heirs, family, and their children. I have ~800 gold in the bank from raiding, but this guy won't even negotiate. To make it worse, my warscore is stuck at 90% with further conquest and army crushing meaning absolutely nothing. I've seriously considered disbanding my army and trying to capture the city they're being held in. Other than that, I think a whole generation of 420bonerfuxx are just going to die in prison.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Hey all, this game is rad as hell and I've got a conundrum I need some help with. I'm doing a Viking run and managed to reform Norse paganism, becoming Fylkir in the process. This is really cool and to celebrate, I started a great holy war for Aquitaine. It's been going really well, but out of nowhere, the king of West Francia decides to join in and takes my capitol, and with it, all of my heirs, family, and their children. I have ~800 gold in the bank from raiding, but this guy won't even negotiate. To make it worse, my warscore is stuck at 90% with further conquest and army crushing meaning absolutely nothing. I've seriously considered disbanding my army and trying to capture the city they're being held in. Other than that, I think a whole generation of 420bonerfuxx are just going to die in prison.

Your best bet is most likely to offer white peace to Aquitane. Militarily, you need to go capture everything West Francia sieged of yours, or you can't win the war. If that's doable, give it a shot. But yeah, in holy wars and crusades, rulers who's religion is involved in it can offer to join. So instead of just fighting Aquitane, you were going to end up fighting most of the Catholic world. They could be allied as well.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 11, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think everybody's first act as fylkir is to declare great holy war for somewhere and then get backdoored by a Francia.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

zedprime posted:

I think everybody's first act as fylkir is to declare great holy war for somewhere and then get backdoored by a Francia.

I know that's what I did.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Tsk tsk tsk.

If you didn't go for Africa, Greece or Andalusia I feel bad for ya son.

I will never forget my heavy infantry horde rampaging through Greece, burning down holding after holding and crushing levies before finally calling a Great Holy War and instantly capturing Constantinople.

Actually, I'm going to go do it again right now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Check.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Now, if you had said Prepared Invasion, I'd agree completely.

Goddamn Karlings

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Sultan Tarquin posted:

One of the singular Norwegian counties like Nidaros. Easily conquerable neighbours and then you can raid the gently caress out of the English for years with your free ships for a gently caress ton of gold. Forming the Kingdom of Norway is super easy with all the gold you get then you can just gently caress around as you please.

I recently did this for the first time (forming Norway) and, depending on your goals, Sweden might be better (this is my go to early Viking start).

It is easier, for example, to reform the Norse faith with Sweden since you own a holy site. It's also easier to form the Scandinavian empire (slightly) because of your position and avenues of expansion.

On the other hand, building Norway from a single county is pretty satisfying.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Each scandinavian kingdom has 1 norse holy site, Naumadal is de jure Norway in case it kingdom drifted in your game. Just owning the holy sites puts you in the same league as Sweden or Denmark as far as Scandinavia the Empire conquering because of ocean zone holy wars.

Basically which part of scandinavia you start in is supplying early flavor because they all turn into the same game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Norway is great because you can offer vassalization to all the lovely island counts. They'll happily join your wars, and have tons of boats to call up as levies once you go republic/feudal.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Goddamn Karlings

This is why 1066 is the best start date

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

zedprime posted:

Each scandinavian kingdom has 1 norse holy site, Naumadal is de jure Norway in case it kingdom drifted in your game. Just owning the holy sites puts you in the same league as Sweden or Denmark as far as Scandinavia the Empire conquering because of ocean zone holy wars.

Basically which part of scandinavia you start in is supplying early flavor because they all turn into the same game.

Depending on your skill level, I just feel that Sweden is an easier start. So maybe the thing about the Norwegian holy site is that it's easier to take if you're Sweden.

I certainly think it's easier to expand as Sweden because you have Finland to the East, Norway to the West and Denmark to the South.

Denmark I think is actually the hardest if you want to remain Norse, because pretty quickly you're most likely to have a Catholic Karling neighbor.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 11, 2017

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

Denmark I think is actually the hardest if you want to remain Norse, because pretty quickly you're most likely to have a Catholic Karing neighbor.

My last two attempts to get a Norse Zoro Republic going both saw Widukind win his rebellion :eek:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

This is why 1066 is the best start date
(Looks at religious map)
(Frowns Norsely)

I DONT THINK SO PAL

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Every time I think about playing a Norse character I think about what I would have to do in order to avoid at least one generation's worth of Gavelkind and then I go "lol gently caress that" and play a Zoroastrian or an Orthodox instead.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I solved the problem. Got nearly all my heirs and important family members back.

Step 1: Kill God
Step 2: Challenge the King of West Francia to a duel
Step 3: Execute the King of West Francia's children at the Great Blot
Step 4: Win the duel, show no mercy
Step 5: Assemble 11k man raiding party
Step 6: Pillage all of West Francia. Every town, castle, village, bishopric
Step 7: Accept peasant king's pleas for mercy in the form of ransom offers
Step 8: Give the King his gold back.
Step 9: Holy war for Normandy

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Every time I think about playing a Norse character I think about what I would have to do in order to avoid at least one generation's worth of Gavelkind and then I go "lol gently caress that" and play a Zoroastrian or an Orthodox instead.
Tribal gavelkind is just a speed bump even if you screw up your number of heirs because everybody gets claims for everything and you just start the prestige farming chain reaction by beating up your brothers.

But you don't even need to go out of your way doing the bastards trick or anything if you follow the common timetables:
1st gen becomes king
2nd gen becomes emperor
3rd gen reforms and feudalizes (if not 2nd gen)

or if you don't want to be emperor of the rear end backwards folks
1st gen becomes king
2nd gen reforms, invades/holy wars, and feudalizes into conquered castle holdings

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Even elective gavelkind isn't that bad so long as you remember the ABC

Always
Be
Conquering

Soon enough you'll have the land and piety to reform the faith and then go feudal.

I usually stay in elective until my dynasty has been suitably seeded everywhere, then go merchant republic and invite all the lil landless men there and marry them.

There definitely needs to be a will mechanic though; it's extremely poo poo how opaque and garbage the system is; not being able to neatly organize lands together for my kids, decide who gets what where or balance things around differently is hugely annoying, as is the fact that if you give your idiots land the inheritance then changes and you then often can't do what you wanted to do.

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I solved the problem. Got nearly all my heirs and important family members back.

Step 1: Kill God
Step 2: Challenge the King of West Francia to a duel
Step 3: Execute the King of West Francia's children at the Great Blot
Step 4: Win the duel, show no mercy
Step 5: Assemble 11k man raiding party
Step 6: Pillage all of West Francia. Every town, castle, village, bishopric
Step 7: Accept peasant king's pleas for mercy in the form of ransom offers
Step 8: Give the King his gold back.
Step 9: Holy war for Normandy
Good show! Man, I wish I didn't lose steam so quickly, it's 30 years at the earliest until I get Great Holy Wars and I already have all of Scandinavia, most of the Baltics and Britain.

World Conquest at that point is almost assured, though the mongols came very, very early and that might cause problems when they finish eating India

zedprime posted:

Tribal gavelkind is just a speed bump even if you screw up your number of heirs because everybody gets claims for everything and you just start the prestige farming chain reaction by beating up your brothers.

But you don't even need to go out of your way doing the bastards trick or anything if you follow the common timetables:
1st gen becomes king
2nd gen becomes emperor
3rd gen reforms and feudalizes (if not 2nd gen)

or if you don't want to be emperor of the rear end backwards folks
1st gen becomes king
2nd gen reforms, invades/holy wars, and feudalizes into conquered castle holdings

I'm at gen 12 or something now. It's great. I don't even have to fight wars, I just call in all my vassals and then just wait for them to do it for me, with me maybe letting my retinue take part in the fight if I feel like it.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

(Looks at religious map)
(Frowns Norsely)

I DONT THINK SO PAL

Sorry, Erik the Heathen is the best Norseman

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

You misspelled Haesteinn of Nantes there.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

He is good for a challenge run, I'll give him that.

ulmont posted:

You misspelled Haesteinn of Nantes there.
Hæsteinn is less a norseman than a controlled ball of absolute murder you point wherever you want to go.

Man, the Kingdom of Brittany-Corsica was a good run back when I just loved burning down Rome in perpetuity. Hell, now that Berbers can raid and Norse has it as a cultural and not religious function to boat raid you could do it that way, though because of boat costs it might not work as well for long distance ones.

Though tanistry loving off when you shift back from Breton is grade-A bullshit.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm at gen 12 or something now. It's great. I don't even have to fight wars, I just call in all my vassals and then just wait for them to do it for me, with me maybe letting my retinue take part in the fight if I feel like it.
That's always great, especially when I combine it with a boatload of tributaries for even more "I don't even need to fight" fun. I also loved using tribal armies for raiding, since then I could just keep fighting and raiding without having to come back to lower and raise my levies every time I want a new war. Just "derpa derpa doo, out here killing English/French/Scottish/Irish and taking their poo poo, oh good you guys have finished smacking Pomerania around, now you lot including Pomerania go carve slices off the English while I get back to raiding".

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's really weird that the only game to have properly automated battles and poo poo from Paradox is the one solely about fighting a war, i.e. Hearts of Iron

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Talk poo poo get Reykjavíkked

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Could someone please post a screenshot with "change capitol" in it? I can't find it anywhere and all I get is "in the upper lefthand corner" but I'm guessing that's hidden the same way that "built stone fort" is hidden.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shbobdb posted:

Could someone please post a screenshot with "change capitol" in it? I can't find it anywhere and all I get is "in the upper lefthand corner" but I'm guessing that's hidden the same way that "built stone fort" is hidden.

You select the province you want to make your capital, and then click the crown in the upper left hand corner of the province view, between the province name and the province shield.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Is there a way to set waypoints for armies? Southeast France is wartorn hellscape and I'd like to do a little less micromanaging of the armies movements.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ShootaBoy posted:

Is there a way to set waypoints for armies? Southeast France is wartorn hellscape and I'd like to do a little less micromanaging of the armies movements.

I'm pretty sure you can hold shift while right-clicking a destination to add it to the waypoint queue.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure you can hold shift while right-clicking a destination to add it to the waypoint queue.

Yessssss. My patience (and thousands of men) thank you.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ShootaBoy posted:

You can just set up a really really long moving route other than that no

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Re: gavelkind, the best tactic is to not get married or get any concubines, and go hard in with the seduction focus. When you have a son, acknowledge them as yours, but don't legitimize them. After you've got a few sons that have grown up a bit, pick one that has promise and legitimize him. With only one legitimate son, he'll inherit everything.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dallan Invictus posted:

You select the province you want to make your capital, and then click the crown in the upper left hand corner of the province view, between the province name and the province shield.

I haven't seen it yet, is there some other modifier? I've conquered Ireland and Wales. Wales (Marcia and to a lesser extent Kent) keep rebelling. I'd like to build my capitol near them so they are less likely to revolt (also they are feudal which will help with transition and if Ireland rebels I can use feudal troops to beat tribal troops).

As a side note, the Aztecs have taken parts of Scotland but appear to have otherwise stopped. I'm good friends with them through diplomacy (they also had a long regency because I got absurdly lucky when they started turbofucking my minor Scottish holdings I killed their Emperor). They are just chilling. This seems like strange behavior for them. Should I be prepared for them to "wake up" and make me a vassal?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shbobdb posted:

It's the greyed out crown in the upper lefthand corner of the province view, between the name and the coat of arms of the county. This character can't relocate his capital to that province (Dvina), otherwise the icon would be gold and not grey.

Note that you can only make counties your capital if you personally own them. They can't be held by a vassal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'd like to switch my capital to Essex but it's a technological backwater compared to sodernmanland or however it's spelled (someone took upland from me in gavelkind and I never got it back). What do you do about huge tech differentials? I have a bunch of laws that need high legalism and stuff and I don't know what'll happen if I lost that tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

I'd like to switch my capital to Essex but it's a technological backwater compared to sodernmanland or however it's spelled (someone took upland from me in gavelkind and I never got it back). What do you do about huge tech differentials? I have a bunch of laws that need high legalism and stuff and I don't know what'll happen if I lost that tech.

Keep your capital in the high tech county, and personally hold the future capital. Low tech counties that you personally hold have tech growth at a much faster rate than vassalized ones. I'd just stick with your current capital until your laws all get passed. Then when you are in position to move your capital, if you've personally held it for decades, Essex will be much better off relative to the rest of the world than it is now. Should be noted that the absolute fastest way to grow tech in Middlesex or wherever tho is to suck it up and make it your capital immediately.

• Locked thread