Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
E: double post

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Were Star Trek conventions the origin of fan conventions as a decent moneymaking opportunity?

(Apropos of nothing, I recently read an article about how, once he realised how much he was able to make out of personal appearances and autograph signings at conventions, Stephen Amell actually set up his own booking agency solely to arrange convention appearances for other actors.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How'd she get fired from Becker??

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.

Baronjutter posted:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2011/06/why-did-terry-ferrell-leave-becker.html

This goes into it, my original quote was wrong I guess.

elcapjtk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 11, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Baronjutter posted:

I think they wanted a love interest for Becker but Terry's character was in the way so they wrote her off.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Super lovely. It's weird how retaliation firing is totally okay in Hollywood despite being illegal.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I wish i could find the clip of o'brien being grabbed by his chest hairs and screaming like he's being castrated

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Why is Pulaski the only crew member with a two piece uniform, it looks 100,000x better

Also I'm watching Where Silence Has Lease and it has the scene where the alien kills the black helmsmen that I've seen in gif form so many times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nah we didn't fire her for successfully rallying the peasants together to demand the money we promised them, nothing at all to do with that. No, we just decided it would be so cool and unexpected if she had to return to her home planet for no reason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

Nah we didn't fire her for successfully rallying the peasants together to demand the money we promised them, nothing at all to do with that. No, we just decided it would be so cool and unexpected if she had to return to her home planet for no reason.

I brought this up a few months ago, but Paramount seems to have been notoriously lovely when it comes to actresses' treatment. While Kelsey Grammer was making more than a million bucks for every episode of Frasier, and John Mahoney and David Hyde Pierce were were pulling down more than $700K per, Peri Gilpin and Jane Leeves were getting $40,000.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sorry, Becker, but I'm a communist spy and I have to flee the country. Also, I'm dumb and the Columbia Broadcasting System is great. Goodbye forever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Remember that DS9 where Quark's staff realize they're being treated like poo poo and paid poorly and the women have to agree to be sexually harassed and assaulted? Then Rom rallied them all? Then rom suddenly wasn't around and quark said Rom had to go back to ferrenginar for soul searching and no that had nothing to do with his worker's rights stuff that was resolved way before because he's a good boss and then rom wasn't really mentioned again?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
https://twitter.com/dannysullivan/status/818868496826306560

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Were Star Trek conventions the origin of fan conventions as a decent moneymaking opportunity?

(Apropos of nothing, I recently read an article about how, once he realised how much he was able to make out of personal appearances and autograph signings at conventions, Stephen Amell actually set up his own booking agency solely to arrange convention appearances for other actors.)

Pretty much yes. Before that they tended to center around topics that did not have broad appeal, but the Star Trek fandom was die-hard from the beginning and only grew with time in syndication.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This past summer, I was in Pittsburgh the same weekend as Anthrocon and a Kenny Chesney concert. Yes, those happened at the same time. Which was also the Fourth of July.

I seen some things.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

remusclaw posted:

The transporter thing makes me wonder about things. Putting aside new Scotty and whatever he may have done with long distance transport, you would think that for the sake of quick travel there would transport relays all over the Fed to allow people to be wherever they are needed pretty much immediately. Extrapolating Trek tech would be an interesting world(universe) building exercise.

Not really. I see this line of thought everywhere and it annoys me. Just because a technology exists doesn't mean it's ubiquitous. We have nuclear fission, but people don't drive their atomic cars to work everyday.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tikifire posted:

Just wait until the third season. The song gets twangier & happier sounding and even more jarring because the season is GRIM and DARK for the most part.

the best one for this is when a random alien gets horribly lynched by some rear end in a top hat cowboys and then it just cuts to a second of black followed by ITS BEEN A LONG TIME

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Subyng posted:

Not really. I see this line of thought everywhere and it annoys me. Just because a technology exists doesn't mean it's ubiquitous. We have nuclear fission, but people don't drive their atomic cars to work everyday.

They would in a world of replicators. :colbert:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

WampaLord posted:

They would in a world of replicators. :colbert:

I imagine replicators require a ton of energy to use and even if they have a source of near unlimited energy, there would probably be some technological chokepoint somewhere in the pipeline.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Subyng posted:

To be fair, transporters are always treated as common as muck, no huge resource, and are hundreds of years old, there'd have to be huge infrastructure of them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Here's something I don't get: Why do humans never get offended by aliens? Why is there never a scene where the human captain storms out of a meeting because the representative on the other side of the table started furiously masturbating? It's always "oh, I didn't know the blaborxians found blinking offensive".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In DS9, "industrial replicators" come up a couple times and are treated as a very limited resource that you only need a couple of for a whole planet's industry. From that I can only assume that certain large-scale replicators can't simply be replicated themselves.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

"Humans have evolved past the need to emotionally react in a negative way" Said the charismatic bald man as he expertly lead you away from the room he knew to be full of raving mad admirals.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Here's something I don't get: Why do humans never get offended by aliens? Why is there never a scene where the human captain storms out of a meeting because the representative on the other side of the table started furiously masturbating? It's always "oh, I didn't know the blaborxians found blinking offensive".

This always annoyed me. The Federation always has to walk on eggshells around everyone else. In one episode, one group of aliens eats a member of another group and all the federatis do is "Uh, that's bad dude."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pakled posted:

In DS9, "industrial replicators" come up a couple times and are treated as a very limited resource that you only need a couple of for a whole planet's industry. From that I can only assume that certain large-scale replicators can't simply be replicated themselves.

It could very well be that consumer replicators are designed to be incapable of making certain classes of things. Devices too complex, dangerous goods, even materials which consume a lot of power to make. So you can make food, clothes, simple tools like scissors or a mek'leth, but you want a rifle, you go to the replicator which makes those (or hack the one in your room because you're a psychopath).

And then yeah, you want I-beams to build a Fed-Mart with, you need the replicator which can make a 30ft steel beam or more likely a gross of them all at once.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We know replicators simply can't make some things, like latinum (or life, maybe). Other things seem to simply be illegal to replicate. IP laws maybe? Stem bolts.

Rare gems are still a thing. Also, things that can be used for a bioweapon could be replicated but needed to be authorized by some high muckity mucks or something

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Something that I find alternately funny and interesting in Enterprise is that the crew are very unprofessional, I don't know what they trained for at Starfleet for. Or why Earth has Starfleet already at this point. Archer and Trip are always getting angry with Vulcans and yelling at how they are grown-ups now. Hoshi was having a breakdown because she found away missions too stressful. T'Pol says it's considered bad form to gently caress with a pre-warp civilisation but thats no fun, shut up nerd!

Archer: It's hard making these kinds of decisions for ourselves. If only there was some kind of... Directive that let us know what to do. Ok Doctor, we'll abandon this race to die, its the right thing to do.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pwnstar posted:

Something that I find alternately funny and interesting in Enterprise is that the crew are very unprofessional, I don't know what they trained for at Starfleet for. Or why Earth has Starfleet already at this point. Archer and Trip are always getting angry with Vulcans and yelling at how they are grown-ups now. Hoshi was having a breakdown because she found away missions too stressful. T'Pol says it's considered bad form to gently caress with a pre-warp civilisation but thats no fun, shut up nerd!

Archer: It's hard making these kinds of decisions for ourselves. If only there was some kind of... Directive that let us know what to do. Ok Doctor, we'll abandon this race to die, its the right thing to do.

They're pre-Kirks they must be even more wild and cowboy-like. You're right, it's dumb, but starfleet has no HR department because captains are the masters of their own little worlds.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pwnstar posted:

There's actually some interesting stuff on this in The Fifty-Year Mission. The writers talked to astronauts to try to get a feel for how people would react under stressful situations, and when the answer was "like professionals with insane amounts of training in dealing with stressful situations" the writers decided that wasn't any fun. A lot of bad decisions in Star Trek writing seem to be the result of people knowing the right answer and doing something else anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I liked the bumbling around loving up in early Enterprise. Archer got command because his daddy built the spaceship and Starfleet had no idea what they're doing and wouldn't listen to the Vulcans because SHUT UP DAD, I CAN DO IT MYSELF

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I'm watching The Outrageous Okona and it is loving awful. How did this episode get past the writer's room?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Namaer posted:

I'm watching The Outrageous Okona and it is loving awful. How did this episode get past the writer's room?

It feels like the writers accidentally made an episode with two 'B' plots and no main story.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Namaer posted:

It was outrageous... for the times?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Namaer posted:

Possibly because it was made before they had a writers' room.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

The shallow view of mental illness that the writers of the show had made them just assume as part of the setting that all mental illnesses that weren't situational would be 'cured' by the 24th century no problemo nothing to see here. Part of that was the idea that psychiatrists like Troi were so omnipresent that stuff like anxiety disorders and depression could be nipped in the bud (as if that were all it took)

And of course they had no loving idea that the hilarious lolawkward poo poo they gave Barclay were signs of a disorder. Just hah aren't awkward people funny.

""A lot has changed in the last 300 years. People are no longer obsessed with "psychology'. We have eliminated mental illness, schizophrenia, the need for meds. We've grown out of our infancy." :smug:

McSpanky posted:

An eternity trapped with nerds, it's the Norwegian Pearl Star Trek Cruise all over again.

""I write this in the hope that it will someday be read by human eyes. I can only surmise at this point, but apparently, our vacation was contaminated by an nerds, which infected and killed all personnel except myself. I awakened to find myself here on the cruise ship, precisely as described in the brochure I found in my room. And for the last 38 years, I have survived here. I have come to understand that the nerds created this place for me out of some sense of fun, presuming that the brochure we had on board the ship about the Star Trek Convention was, in fact, a guide to our preferred lifestyle and social habits. Obviously they thought that this was the world from which I came. I hold no malice toward my benefactors. They could not possibly know the hell that they have put me through. For it was such a geeky brochure, filled with awkward people and poorly made costumes... I shall welcome death when it comes."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Namaer posted:

TNG Season 2 coincided with the writers' strike, so they kind of had to make do. Also, I'm 90% sure the only thought anyone put into "The Outrageous Okona" was "people love Han Solo, let's put Han Solo in Star Trek."

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Did I miss an introduction to Guinan somewhere or does she just show up in 2x01?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Namaer posted:

Did I miss an introduction to Guinan somewhere or does she just show up in 2x01?

She just shows up. There's a couple episodes that show she's been friends with Picard for some time before she came aboard, but that's pretty the only backstory she gets beyond the stuff about her race and the Borg.

They openly admit it was stunt casting in The 50 Year Mission, but I couldn't care less because Whoopi is awesome and Guinan is a fun character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Namaer posted:

Gene hired and fired roughly 30 writers in the first year.