Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Expeditions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Gideon is a legit interesting planeswalker design. Sure he might be too good for standard but who plays that format anymore

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Pontius Pilate posted:

Gideon is a legit interesting planeswalker design. Sure he might be too good for standard but who plays that format anymore

He's my new favorite card for sideboards in white decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Cool Eldrazi

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Painful truths, sylvan scrying reprint, cutthroat, dispel reprint, and kalitas.

Kalitas was in Oath! :eng101:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
https://twitter.com/OwenTweetenwald/status/819389188546039808

https://www.twitch.tv/owentmodo

Owen streams are good times, really good rapport with Huey.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Let's list all the good things about Battle for Zendikar block. Someone else start.

If only you could read. :eng101:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Attorney at Funk posted:

Let's list all the good things about Battle for Zendikar block. Someone else start.

Stormchaser Mage

Reflector Mage :smith:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GoutPatrol posted:

On the other hands, goons.

I read this thread, get angry at goons, then I go watch SaffronOlive beat Tron by stealing a Karn in games two and three with a singleton Commandeer from the sideboard and all is well again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

If only you could read. :eng101:

I wish I knew what this said so I could come up with a sick counter-burn.

Expeditions (and eventually Masterpieces) are a cool idea to come out of BFZ block, but could become less cool if Wizards uses them as an excuse to never do any strong reprints in Standard sets ever again.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Attorney at Funk posted:

Awaken was a really cool limited mechanic; it's a shame it wound up being not-quite-there for constructed outside of Path.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

I wish I knew what this said so I could come up with a sick counter-burn.

Expeditions (and eventually Masterpieces) are a cool idea to come out of BFZ block, but could become less cool if Wizards uses them as an excuse to never do any strong reprints in Standard sets ever again.

I hate how they say "we reprinted Thoughtseize and Mutavault and it made standard un-fun!" but then the next years they reprinted Chord of Callng, Liliana 1, and Goblin Piledriver and all worked out fine.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

do people here still hate owen for whatever reason

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

He did the opposite of efro. He became infinitely more likable after getting into the hall of fame.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

i played Vampire Cutthoroat once in draft just because he said it was good on limited resources. it was awful

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Owen taking pulls from a bottle of Sam Adams while doing a stipulation draft with Huey chiming in every other sentence is quite entertaining

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So, I just remembered why I shouldn't watch DesolatorMagic. He completely, completely misinterpreted how Probe warped the Modern meta. Also, I think he plays Magic against martians. That's the only way I can imagine that he plays the games he plays against people who apparently mull to zero frequently.

Edit: Also, he thinks Lantern control is unbeatable and Golgari Grave-troll is broken because it gets +1/+1 counters for creatures in the graveyard when you cast it.

Edit 2: And he thinks Storm is still too powerful.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 12, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Veyrall posted:

So, I just remembered why I shouldn't watch DesolatorMagic. He completely, completely misinterpreted how Probe warped the Modern meta. Also, I think he plays Magic against martians. That's the only way I can imagine that he plays the games he plays against people who apparently mull to zero frequently.

Edit: Also, he thinks Lantern control is unbeatable and Golgari Grave-troll is broken because it gets +1/+1 counters for creatures in the graveyard when you cast it.

You should watch Owen instead, he's funny and also good.

and Huey is making salmon.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Veyrall posted:

LOL he thinks loving Serum Visions, the stupid piece of poo poo filtering card too weak for Pauper that gets played only in decks where it's unavoidable, is too powerful for Modern. Also, Anticipate, the two mana filtering spell that's barely standard-playable.

This guy is something special.

EDIT: and then, after complaining about combo existing for the first tend minutes of the video, complains about combo hate cards like Surgical and Infinite Obliteration being too powerful because they can pull win conditions out of a deck???

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 12, 2017

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Sickening posted:

He did the opposite of efro. He became infinitely more likable after getting into the hall of fame.

He did just tell a viewer to take their draft advice, write it out on paper, seal it in a bottle, and then hurl it out to sea.

But then, he's been losing this 60 card draft challenge for hours now. I imagine he's a little crankier than usual.

(this is a fine stream)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sickening posted:

He took a break after the tarmogoyf mess and it seems to have actually helped him

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Veyrall posted:

yeah that guys a loving idiot. he is the same one that was crying about not being able to get eternal masters boxes from his distributor for his online store because they were only going to stores that had active FNMs.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

But Mechanized Production is OP

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

yeah that guys a loving idiot. he is the same one that was crying about not being able to get eternal masters boxes from his distributor for his online store because they were only going to stores that had active FNMs.

He talks about net decking in 2017. I don't get why anyone would listen to him at all.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Veyrall posted:

He somehow manages to combine the worst aspects of spikes, mtgfinance, absurdly poor card evaluation, and complaining about netdecking into one person despite the fact that some of those contradict each other.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Netdeckers are the worst kind of people.

Cool brewz or GTFO

edit: The worst youtuber is the MTG Lion or MTGHeadquarters guy, I can't determine which one of them suck the most

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Just to be clear, Modern is insanely popular and has a pretty healthy metagame, right?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Just to be clear, Modern is insanely popular and has a pretty healthy metagame, right?

Popular yes, healthy metagame only slightly yes. It's getting a massive shakeup with the Aether Revolt release (three bans and several new staples) so we'll see what it looks like after the dust settles.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hellsau posted:

Counterspells would be played more in modern if Cavern didn't exist. Bant Eldrazi also would be substantially worse if their spells could get countered.

i perceive time in a way that a fly does, and can accomplish many things while i dont pay attention to modo

GoutPatrol posted:

On the other hands, goons.

im a goon and im loving great, im sorry about your esteem. if you're in america there's nothing much you can do, but i would suggest starting with learning meditation

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Yeah it's like moderately challenging to hate Owen now, even for me.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Some Numbers posted:

People get into a lot of trouble talking about the health of the Modern metagame because everyone takes their own premises for what constitutes a healthy metagame for granted. We can say that Modern is an extremely diverse metagame and that a huge chunk of the different decks that make up that diverse metagame have a roughly similar play pattern (super fast linear decks which tend to be hyper-aggressive and/or combo decks). Depending on your perspective, the variety of decks that you can play means that Modern is healthy full stop. But people who like reactive decks or formats that are easy to prepare for tend to like Modern a lot less.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

People get into a lot of trouble talking about the health of the Modern metagame because everyone takes their own premises for what constitutes a healthy metagame for granted. We can say that Modern is an extremely diverse metagame and that a huge chunk of the different decks that make up that diverse metagame have a roughly similar play pattern (super fast linear decks which tend to be hyper-aggressive and/or combo decks). Depending on your perspective, the variety of decks that you can play means that Modern is healthy full stop. But people who like reactive decks or formats that are easy to prepare for tend to like Modern a lot less.

That being said, with the printing of Fatal Push, and the banning of Gix probe, I imagine that Modern, though not entirely favorable to control archetypes, should allow them to be just as competitive as the rest of the meta. Having a 1 mana answer to some 90% of the format is huge. And the combo-aggro hybrids no longer have the ability to "know" if the coast is clear for them to go all in with Gix probe.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I think the best Modern is gonna get for control is some kind of Grixis Delver list. Draw-Go control is just not viable (for now) in modern. Which is fine with me, but not everyone.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ive thought long and hard on the subject of draw go control and my most recent conclusion is that a lot of people, even those who like the style, do not understand that the deck is actually fundamentally active in working towards a win condition instead of passive

but also, most of the cards that allow them to be proactive tend to allow for degenerate combo stuff to go on, so the sort of enablers the deck will tend to need will also be very likely on the chopping block, perpetually banned, or just not in consideration for creation at all. and also because so many people fundamentally misunderstand the style it will frequently be played badly, be more likely to go to time, and have people more prone to immediately disliking it for purely feelings related reasons.

its just not realistically going to exist ever basically. i've never really found another style of deck that i enjoy in a similar way. i dunno, its complex and it actually requires fostering certain types of metagames that are very unlikely to develop in modern for a variety of reasons. i think the format where the elements that i enjoy about draw go are most likely to spring up are block constructed, and rip on that, or some variants of standard. but considering how threat heavy and creature heavy standard has been for actual literal years it seems like the likelihood of a metagame developing where it can exist alongside other viable stuff is quite low, as the answers and draw spells would have to be absurdly efficient in a way that a lot of players would find upsetting and perceive as unfair.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

unban ponder imo

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I wouldn't say the meta is that that diverse or going to change drastically. I assume the same decks that usually win are going to still win except maybe at a slower pace. It's not like Norin Soul Sisters or a generally accepted Tier 2 or 3 deck suddenly vaulted into the top 5 with the release of AER

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Can someone with SCGPremium post the decklist?

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/34364_UR-Crazy.html#comments

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Player trying to come back after a couple years, is MTGO dead? There's only swiss 6x2x2x2 for the last block, and no limited for Kaladesh, what gives?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Loving Life Partner posted:

Player trying to come back after a couple years, is MTGO dead? There's only swiss 6x2x2x2 for the last block, and no limited for Kaladesh, what gives?

Look under leagues, basically the same thing but you don't have to play all three games at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's all in leagues now. Way quicker for getting your games done, but matches aren't limited to your own draft pod anymore.

• Locked thread