Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Darth Vader is dead. He was killed after Palpatine shorted out his suit with force lightning.

Luke Skywalker then burned his body on Endor and he became a force ghost in the form of Anakin Skywalker. Darth Vader is not Snoke.

Stop that. Stop it! *slaps wrist*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gonz posted:

Darth Vader is dead. He was killed after Palpatine shorted out his suit with force lightning.

Luke Skywalker then burned his body on Endor and he became a force ghost in the form of Anakin Skywalker. Darth Vader is not Smoke.
You just said he was though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Snoke is actually Senator Bail Organa, who miraculously survived the destruction of Alderaan.

It's why his face is all hosed up and he's like 100 years old.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It’s the guy who sells death sticks, his complexion is all hosed up because smoking is bad for you

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Gonz posted:

Luke Skywalker then burned his body on Endor and he became a force ghost in the form of Anakin Skywalker. Darth Vader is not Snoke.

Stop that. Stop it! *slaps wrist*

My idea hinges on him becoming a Force Ghost (he did :science:) and him then reforming a physical body (shameless speculation :shrug:) and possibly also having learned how to recreate his birth from the Force (trippy that plot twist would be :420:). Also ideally he would be returning as a grim Bodhisattva (:catdrugs:).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I mean, hypothetically I suppose the space wizards could use magic to do that, but i'm 100% certain that's not the case.

People would point and laugh at Disney for a generation if that happened.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Gonz posted:

I mean, hypothetically I suppose the space wizards could use magic to do that, but i'm 100% certain that's not the case.

People would point and laugh at Disney for a generation if that happened.

Basically I think there are a lot of possible plotlines left open which would be awesome if fitted to precisely the right director. I wouldn't be shocked if they intentionally imitated the pre-canonical openness of Star Wars (1977) for precisely that reason.

Like if you want to recreate Lucas making poo poo with a lot of open-ended possibilities up as he went along, you'd want to hire, well, J.J Abrams.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vader is already a force ghost. Doesn't seem like to much a leap.

However Kylo doesn't call him Vader or grandfather so...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-aftaxJOTM

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I guess we'll find out in April during Celebration.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Palpatine's mentor Plegius (or however it's spelled) was obsessed with figuring out how to cheat death and live forever, so I figure he's probably Snoke. Maybe that's the easy and obvious answer but it's also the lowest effort solution for movie writers.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
:ssh: Palpatine killed Plagueis and is bragging about it in front of Anakin's face to tempt him into joining him :ssh:

Palpatine somehow surviving is a distant option for Snoke, I guess, but it's a hell of a stretch, and he can't be a Force Ghost (because Sith are more concerned with physical immortality than 'becoming one with the Force').

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Vintersorg posted:

I guess we'll find out in April during Celebration.

I guess I'm okay for a 40th anniversary thing, but looking it up I went from "are we seriously celebrating the birthday of Star Wars every year" to "look guys just make it yearly if you're going to do it every 1d4 years as needed by your latest product."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I wouldn't mind if Snoke is just some guy that's old and doesn't have a heavy connection to the previous characters beyond being a powerful Sith dude.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Neo Rasa posted:

I wouldn't mind if Snoke is just some guy that's old and doesn't have a heavy connection to the previous characters beyond being a powerful Sith dude.

I'm pretty sure they'll keep the Sith/Dark Side break complete, despite Ren's idolization of Vader. Like, even if Snoke is literally a third incarnation of Anakin/Vader. The Sith are dead, but the Sith are not the Dark Side.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

teagone posted:

After trying really hard to remember the opening of film, I suppose the "hiding in the well" scene and her going back to see her mother get killed does impart those qualities onto Jyn's character in the subtext. I'll agree with that, since characterization can be subtle. Still, those are fairly generic traits that don't do anything to inform me of her wants/needs and motivations when we're introduced to her 15-16 years later, which is the larger issue I have with the character.

Even Kevin "I will literally say any Star Wars or Comic book movie is 100% perfect" Smith said that her Character was a little light in the backstory/motivation/development dept. which I think is saying a lot.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Forces of Destiny is a bad VR game with set piece scenes from the movies.

Calling it now.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

ungulateman posted:

Ren's supposed to be 30ish despite being played by Adam Driver, the world's most petulant teen.

I almost want them to go full retard and make Rey artificially created by Palpatine (and make it canon that he did the same thing with Anakin) as a weapon / replacement apprentice, which was why they abandoned her on Jakku.

Unfortunately it would make it pretty much impossible to have someone dramatically reveal themselves as her father if they take that route, unless they go even more full retard with her being a clone / reincarnated Anakin, in which case Luke would say "No, Rey, YOU are my father", but that would be idiotic and they would never do that in a million years.

Holy gently caress Adam Driver is 33... him being a neckbeard manchild is kinda funny though if you take him to be older than everyone else... wait Oscar Isaac is 37?

Also I saw a lovely youtube video showing that Snoke is actually Mace Windu which is both dumb and hilarious. For the wildcard they should make him this random background jedi in Phantom Menace http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yarael_Poof

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 11, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Snoak is Darth Maul.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Fuzz posted:

Snoak is Darth Maul.

I think Maul died again in one of the Disney/Lucas Arts shows that are still cannon

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

I think Maul died again in one of the Disney/Lucas Arts shows that are still cannon

He did not, hence I say it.

Edit: Watch he ends up being Ezra.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Snoke is Trump.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Disney is the king of Verticle Integration, I suggest that Snoke is Ultron, or possibly Chris Pratt.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Disney is the king of Verticle Integration, I suggest that Snoke is Ultron, or possibly Chris Pratt.

Snoak is Jaffar and/or Scar?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
Snoke is Lord Voldemort. His name is basically snake.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Snoke is Jar Jar Binks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

Snoke is Jar Jar Binks.

I'd love to have enough money to buy Star Wars and make this happen.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
That would loving own, actually.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Well, he is the most powerful Sith Lord, after all...

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
Snoke could also literally be the smoke monster from Lost. He was written open endedly by JJ Abrams to hand off to another writer/director whose talent peaks incredibly hard in the first act. What if they have become self-aware?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

33 is really young?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Fuzz posted:

Forces of Destiny is a bad VR game with set piece scenes from the movies.

Calling it now.

I would actually be super happy if they took the old OT arcade game and turned it into a VR game. That poo poo owned hard.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

euphronius posted:

33 is really young?

Sure, but he looks and acts like a hormonal teenager who's pissed off and angry at the world. Like, I am was Kylo Ren right now only a few years ago

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Hmm, that's interesting. Are there any other scores like this where you prefer them on their own instead of hearing them in their respective film?

A big one for me is Battle: LA. That score is really good, but in the film, I couldn't hear it. I also hate that movie and I think it's super boring so. Also, Man of Steel. The whole movie was too loud and just kinda frustrating, but the score on it's own is really beautiful and well done. Honestly any score by Silvestri. Mostly because a lot of my favorite scores from him come from really bland movies. The Mummy Returns is an all time great for me, and while I like the movie okay, I feel like the score is the only thing holding the film up at all. But it's just so much more interesting when divorced from the film. Same with Van Helsing and GI-Joe.

Silvestri was the main reason I'd get excited for a new Stephen Sommers film.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

ungulateman posted:

Sure, but he looks and acts like a hormonal teenager who's pissed off and angry at the world. Like, I am was Kylo Ren right now only a few years ago

The subversive thing is a lot of people want the fantasy of being Darth Vader again, and a lot of guys who are old enough to know better are acting like teenagers. It's not a perfect overlap between the two or anything. It's just that there is a range of overlap that is also part of the audience being addressed through magic space wizards.

But it's at least understandable to want to see him again. The solution is to rewatch the original trilogy in a cut of your preference again. I've argued a little for Vader = Snope on the basis of pure speculation and maybe some random red herrings from a writer/director who probably bleeds vague misleading clues. But like in Prometheus, the reality of a risen Vader Snoke would be acutely painful as well. It's just one of many ways it could go.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 12, 2017

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Mark my words...the Snope...is a secret Vader 'prentice.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Mark my words...the Snope...is a secret Vader 'prentice.

BullSHIT.

Snoke is a dracula.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gonz posted:

BullSHIT.

Snoke is a dracula.

First Cushing and Fisher now a CG Christopher Lee?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_eek4pkTeQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Luke Skywalker heel turn after he uppercuts Poe Dameron onto the hood of a Dodge Dart.

Rey gets kidnapped by the Wolfman and Finn recruits Stan Lee to rescue her!

My uncle works for Nintendo and told me these things.

• Locked thread