Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Artificer posted:

Goon on goon action is very fun. Yeah being in a PB watching your whole team collapse happens far more often than I would like...

Or "this is my last game for the night" turns into "well that was disappointing" turns into six more losses before finally ending on a win :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Hexenritter posted:

Or "this is my last game for the night" turns into "well that was disappointing" turns into six more losses before finally ending on a win :v:

Hush now we dont talk about that night!!!!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Artificer posted:

Hush now we dont talk about that night!!!!

I accidentally shot many team mates in your honour after you left so I think that balances it out.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

As an urbanmech I don't bring the top damage but what I do bring is Intangibles and Just Winning Games

And being called a twerp

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ostentatious posted:

As an urbanmech I don't bring the top damage but what I do bring is Intangibles and Just Winning Games

And being called a twerp

Take pleasure in the fact that whenever you kill anyone they know, they just know, they died to a trashcan.

Every kill is a feather in your cap. Plus what other mech has post-it notes in the cockpit? Exactly.

I'd plonk down cash immediately for an Urbie II-C pack.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016
[quote="DancingShade" post=""468253717"]
I'd plonk down cash immediately for an Urbie II-C pack.
[/quote]

But the Kit Fox already exists?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

EduardoEspecial posted:

Do you still get mech bays for doing cw stuff? If so, does scouting count towards it?

Yes and yes. But I believe that they changed the amount of loyalty points needed to get them so if you only play scouting you probably won't get them.
Edit: I think you get one at loyalty rank 2, but the second mechbay is at loyalty rank 6 which needs an insane amount of points.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 12, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Still regret that I only picked up the Wolves' first mechbay before they gave mercs their own loyalty progression. :(

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ostentatious posted:

And being called a twerp

Be an Urbanmech R60 with two ERLLs and you may well bring the top damage too. And you'll DEFINITELY be called a twerp by all the hapless poke victims.

TjyvTompa posted:

Yes and yes. But I believe that they changed the amount of loyalty points needed to get them so if you only play scouting you probably won't get them.
Edit: I think you get one at loyalty rank 2, but the second mechbay is at loyalty rank 6 which needs an insane amount of points.
Can confirm, rank 6 is definitely not worth it.

Rank 2 is super quick to unlock, but when you join a faction you first have ten probation matches that give you no points (obviously do scouting missions for these), and after you leave you must wait a week before joining another.

So you're looking at one free bay every 2-3 weeks or so, until you run out of factions to join. Might as well do it if you're not in a real unit.

Speaking of which, how are the planetary control MC rewards right now? Do WoL and GIRL earn any?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Previously all the different units did "tours" where we joined a faction on the weekend and played CW to get the free mechbay, next weekend we switched faction and did it all over again. It was pretty fun, usually full 12 mans. But PGI did not like this so they made CW totally loving confusing for a normal person to understand with cooldowns where you earn NOTHING for playing CW, mercs that have separeate loyalty progressions and much higher point requirements for the second free mechbay.

Nowadays CW is nothing but pain and suffering, long waiting times only to get annihilated by the clans from 800 meters out. Only scouting is somewhat enjoyable but it nets you so few loyalty points its not worth it to do it for the mechbay.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

what's a good pirate's bane build?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

what's a good pirate's bane build?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=222&l=177832eb94235b1dc4cd9c776f6b9c435ab25c68

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's what I'm running, I've just seen some running around with a few machine guns. wanted to know if they were any good

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

That's what I'm running, I've just seen some running around with a few machine guns. wanted to know if they were any good

People claim that machineguns are good but they are not. In game if someone turns up and starts shooting me with those peashooters it's barely worth the effort to even try to get them off you.
But if you want to try it, here it is: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=222&l=26077c8f57bf6053e143c08753ed50cf4d75156a
Edit: Don't take my word for it, go into the testing grounds, open up an enemy mech with the lasers and then start firing the MGs on it and see how long it takes for it to die. You'll be standing there for quite a while firing the MGs.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 12, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ew gross if i have to downgrade my lasers that much I'm not touching those things.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
If you want to run machineguns there is a good discussion on them here: https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/240918-run-machine-guns-on-the-pirates-bane-or-any-small-mech/
It seems that you need 4 or more MGs for them start being useful but in that case you could just run 4 lasers for more DPS.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wow this pirates bane is fun as poo poo to play. I just 1v1d two separate jenners in a match, then backstabbed and killed one of their dragons. going to spam this thing now

edit: a PB build with small pulses seems good too, but it would be less damage and lower range... only better if firing nonstop, so against other lights? Hmm

Edit2: 620 damage 4 solo kills.

new favorite mech found

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 12, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm still new enough to the game that I don't really understand the ins and outs yet. Would swapping my Stormcrow from 1x LPL 4x ER Med Lasers to 2x LPL and 2x ER Med Lasers be a decent idea? It seems like I can get more damage off if i stay around the midrange sniping area of 700meters, and the ER meds do negligible damage at that range. Plus it looks like I could fit a larger tracking computer then.

Edit: gently caress it I think i can throw 3 lpls on here

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 12, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm still new enough to the game that I don't really understand the ins and outs yet. Would swapping my Stormcrow from 1x LPL 4x ER Med Lasers to 2x LPL and 2x ER Med Lasers be a decent idea? It seems like I can get more damage off if i stay around the midrange sniping area of 700meters, and the ER meds do negligible damage at that range. Plus it looks like I could fit a larger tracking computer then.

It depends on your playstyle. You can do medium range MLs or long range LPLs, whatever you feel like, for this mech there is no "#1 best build" I think. Other mechs do have optimal builds, for example the Warhammer Black Widow, that one is always going to sport some variation of 2xAC5, 2xuAC5s or the Cyclops CP-10-Q which should have 6xSRM6 1xSRM4. In general I feel that clan mechs are more versatile while IS mechs tend to have 1-2 optimal builds.
You can read a good guide on the Stormcrow on metamechs where there are several different builds available for you to try out: http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/clan-master-guides/stormcrow/

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Be wary of ghost heat on the 3 Clan LPLs.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The stormcrow is a poor poking chassis imo. You CAN do that, but splat crow or SPL crow are better uses of the chassis. You're better off just using a targeting computer 1 because you get the most bang for the tonnage doing that, and then filling out the rest of the weight with heat sinks no matter what laser vomit loadout you're doing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Commoners posted:

The stormcrow is a poor poking chassis imo. You CAN do that, but splat crow or SPL crow are better uses of the chassis. You're better off just using a targeting computer 1 because you get the most bang for the tonnage doing that, and then filling out the rest of the weight with heat sinks no matter what laser vomit loadout you're doing.

I'm sure there are better builds and J already have a streak crow for hunting lights, I just want the longer range build for random battles because having a close range build on some of the massive maps kind of sucks imo

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Don't be sorry for asking questions :shobon:. I have no idea bout the lasers but, you should try loading that storm crow up with SRM streak 6s, an active probe and a tag. It outright deletes lights and is great for when you get drunk enough that hand eye coordination becomes a challenge.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Don't be sorry for asking questions :shobon:. I have no idea bout the lasers but, you should try loading that storm crow up with SRM streak 6s, an active probe and a tag. It outright deletes lights and is great for when you get drunk enough that hand eye coordination becomes a challenge.

I already have that one

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm sure there are better builds and J already have a streak crow for hunting lights, I just want the longer range build for random battles because having a close range build on some of the massive maps kind of sucks imo

Close range builds will teach you positioning better than anything else in the game probably.

Edit: That being said, I can't seem to figure out how to make the XL 325 6 MPL Sparky work. I'm much better with the 4 LL Sparky.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 12, 2017

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
So I've managed to scrape together a 3 LPL thunderbolt and a 3 ML/3LPL battlemaster and have been pubbing a bit today still very very rusty, last time I think I played this game with any regularity was before the phoenix mechs dropped. So with that said, are there any particular mechs that have come out since (heavies/assaults are still my preferred chassis) the phoenix mechs that universally all goons agree on are must haves? I'm browsing metamechs but I'm not at the point yet where I can look at a loadout and know if I'm going to enjoy it.

I need a couple of goons to prop me up and help me rake in enough c-bills to help me refit the 30 odd mechs I have lying around(most of them are variants though, but I know I used to use atlases, cataphracts, & jagers a hell of a lot as I have a lot of xp on those mechs) is there any sort of EU presence left for this game? or is it predominantly US timezone?

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 12, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

rocket_Magnet posted:

So with that said, are there any particular mechs that have come out since (heavies/assaults are still my preferred chassis) the phoenix mechs that universally all goons agree on are must haves?

Heavies and assaults? What playstyle do you prefer?

Regardless of what playstyle you prefer, do you have a Timber Wolf? Because it can do anything with good speed.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I admit my shame. I bought the bushwacker. And I want it so bad!
Not in small part because, if my calculations are right, i should be able to make a 6 streak2 boat with mgs that runs at 110kph. And that just sounds like utterly retarded nonstop fun.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 12, 2017

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Artificer posted:

Heavies and assaults? What playstyle do you prefer?

Regardless of what playstyle you prefer, do you have a Timber Wolf? Because it can do anything with good speed.

Still finding my feet again, but what I do remember is I used to spend a whole load of time in an ilya muromets with dual gauss, and while that setup is designed for sniping I used to brawl with it as it would wrong foot people when they'd thought they come across a sniper mech at brawling range and they were going to shred me and then they'd wonder where their left arm just went, then their right torso then a leg etc. I was a god drat wizard with that mech way back when, I can barely hit the broad side of a barn currently even with lasers. I don't have any mechs with lurms and what mechs do have fits are predominantly medium laser/SRM/UAC based.

edit: would someone mind shooting me a PM with a mumble address that goons use?

edit: thanks!

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 12, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Beraiye posted:

Just in case anyone needs it:

mumble.goonrathi.com port:64738

pass: mellon

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rysithusiku posted:

I admit my shame. I bought the bushwacker. And I want it so bad!
Not in small part because, if my calculations are right, i should be able to make a 6 streak2 boat with mgs that runs at 110kph. And that just sounds like utterly retarded nonstop fun.

I need a 55 tonner for scouting and I strongly prefer chickenwalkers or generally non-humanoid mechs, so I'll almost certainly buy it when it comes out for CBills regardless of how bad it is. And since it's an IS mech there's a real chance of it being quirked up the wazoo to make up for whatever hardpoint disadvantage it may have.

When will we know the quirks btw? Isn't it coming out any day now?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

NihilCredo posted:

I need a 55 tonner for scouting and I strongly prefer chickenwalkers or generally non-humanoid mechs, so I'll almost certainly buy it when it comes out for CBills regardless of how bad it is. And since it's an IS mech there's a real chance of it being quirked up the wazoo to make up for whatever hardpoint disadvantage it may have.

When will we know the quirks btw? Isn't it coming out any day now?

clam or IS scouting? IS the griffin reigns supreme, clam side is only 50 tons now so no more crows.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I wouldnt preorder anything given the uncertainty of the next few months.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Stupid newbie update.

LCT-1V is still a blast and am about to hit the module unlock tier. LPL is nice, LL 2 MG is okay, and ML 4MG is the grim reaper towards the end of the round. Considering downgrading engine from 190 in order to accommodate LR 4MG but haven't played with the fittings enough.

What skills/modules are good? Seismic and radar hidey-something seem universally useful.

I need some kind of analog throttle in order to circle of death better since the digital movements and nearly zero chassis inertia(feels like Heavy Gear 2) are too severe for feathering. Maybe a PlayStation controller in the left hand- ideas?

Bobcats fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 13, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Do not play with a joystick. Keyboard and mouse if far more superior.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Bobcats posted:

I need some kind of analog throttle in order to circle of death better since the digital movements and nearly zero chassis inertia(feels like Heavy Gear 2) are too severe for feathering. Maybe a PlayStation controller in the left hand- ideas?

I haven't been able to get the game to let me do it again (it just doesn't work, for some reason) but before I uninstalled it a year or two ago I managed to get throttle bound to my mouse wheel. That should do the trick.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Artificer posted:

Do not play with a joystick. Keyboard and mouse if far more superior.

I get it- mouse would still be aiming. Just looking for finer turn and throttle. Pressure sensitive keys would be ideal but that's a unicorn keyboard and magical settings.

LL 4MG fits with an xl170 but speed is life :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g13-advanced-gameboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

How many tons of UAC-20 ammo do you guys tend to pack for a single UAC-20?

• Locked thread