Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also, not sure if you know this, but if you're focusing on cultural tech for the feudal laws, then make sure you're doing the "is there something strange out there" path from the scholarship focus when you build an observatory. Each ruler can do that once, and it gives you hundreds of points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My attractive brilliant strategist son died at the age of 17 due to camp fever. Of course.
Thank god I didn't gently caress around too much with the education of his brother (who has a lisp by the way). Although it's always funny when your kids manage to insult entire generations of your vassals in the groom an heir event chain.
By the way, I also fought a war against my mom. I'm king of Sicily, she's queen of Norway, we're both vassals of the HRE. Suddenly she starts an independent revolt. I couldn't join her side of the war and I wanted the war to be over so I just fought her :) She lost but somehow kept the entire kingdom (I think it was a white peace or something?) and doesn't seem to mind that I fought against her.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure you can hold shift while right-clicking a destination to add it to the waypoint queue.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

shut up blegum posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

If you didn't know about this in CK2 then it's really going to blow your mind when you find out you can do this in every Paradox game.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you didn't know about this in CK2 then it's really going to blow your mind when you find out you can do this in every Paradox game.

CK2 is the only Paradox game I play :ssh:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gently caress you genius children growing up to become indulgent wastrels.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

eXXon posted:

gently caress you genius children growing up to become indulgent wastrels.
drat dude what did i ever do to you??

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its the old situation where he's smart enough to realize he doesn't need to put in any effort.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
So, apparently you can create a Fratecelli Antipope, even when there is no Fratecelli pope. The expected thing happens when you click on the Fratecellie college of cardinals (Crash to Desktop)

Also, has anyone noticed that Muslim kings have a real propensity to switching to various Christian religions nowadays. I was a bit confused when I saw the Empire of Hispania form.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 12, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's not just muslims; it's a host of interesting religions. I think it may be court physicians converting people?

I like it, anyway. A bit of variety. I actually saw Nestorianism in the wild without my intervention!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

Also, not sure if you know this, but if you're focusing on cultural tech for the feudal laws, then make sure you're doing the "is there something strange out there" path from the scholarship focus when you build an observatory. Each ruler can do that once, and it gives you hundreds of points.

Ah poo poo, I did the heliocentric one.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I swear at one point there was a heliocentric religion that you converted to after taking that path.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

Ah poo poo, I did the heliocentric one.

that ones gives you military tech points. it loving crushes me that they don't have an economic tech route.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
God dammit, if you accept joining a war for a new ally and they then invite you to enter the war, when you already have their wartarget in your dungeon, the game hangs up and then if you save and reload or enter observe, you get the alliance breaker penalty.

Good poo poo

Also please, please add an event that declares war on your prepared invasion target so that I don´t gently caress it up, dammit. :(

Edit: Try 2 and now I have to decide if I want to spin off the Kingdom of Léon, which is mostly Andalusia and invade somewhere else.

I'm tempted; Doing that would remove all my threat, which would let me steamroll Ireland while then maybe Going for Africa or Marrakech for my next target while my lil brothers finish eating up Andalusia as a whole.

Might keep enough that I could create Navarra and make it a Merchant Republic maybe. I have 2 sayyid members of my dynasty, maybe make one king of Ireland and the other the head of the Merchant Republic of Navarra. Then we could go for the Shia caliphate; I don't think there's any Ibadis left on the map sadly.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 13, 2017

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

(Looks at religious map)
(Frowns Norsely)

I DONT THINK SO PAL

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Every time I think about playing a Norse character I think about what I would have to do in order to avoid at least one generation's worth of Gavelkind and then I go "lol gently caress that" and play a Zoroastrian or an Orthodox instead.

Play Erik the Heathen in the King William start date (a few months after Stamford Bridge date)

I haven't really looked that hard for differences but the big one here (other than William being King of England) is that Jarl Erik the Heathen is independent and at war for the crown of Sweden with the Catholic Stenkils. The war is very winnable if you play defensively, letting rivers and winter soften up the cross worshippers.

It only took 2-3 restarts to get a hang of the starting position to where I could reliably win the war and go on to reform the faith within a generation or two (I've yet to manage having Erik himself reform the faith)

Also please, please add an event that declares war on your prepared invasion target so that I don´t gently caress it up, dammit. :(

Also this please

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 13, 2017

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So I'm playing as Sri Lanka and it seems like whenever I try to attack another kingdom, I get completely steamrolled because they wind up hiring like 4k more troops than what the realm tree says the strength of them is. Like I'll see that available levy for top liege is only 3k, I have 7k, think "great lets declare" and then suddenly here comes a 10k stack because they just hired a buttload of mercs even though as far as I can tell they only had like 150 cash. I verified it was mercs by looking at their total troop count and seeing like 7k hired.

Can someone give me a better guide to sizing up my potential enemies? When attacking a kingdom, do I only need to see levy of top liege or all lieges combined? Where are they pulling out the cash for that many mercs? I can only seem to get like 1k troops for 150 if that.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

So I'm playing as Sri Lanka and it seems like whenever I try to attack another kingdom, I get completely steamrolled because they wind up hiring like 4k more troops than what the realm tree says the strength of them is. Like I'll see that available levy for top liege is only 3k, I have 7k, think "great lets declare" and then suddenly here comes a 10k stack because they just hired a buttload of mercs even though as far as I can tell they only had like 150 cash. I verified it was mercs by looking at their total troop count and seeing like 7k hired.

Can someone give me a better guide to sizing up my potential enemies? When attacking a kingdom, do I only need to see levy of top liege or all lieges combined? Where are they pulling out the cash for that many mercs? I can only seem to get like 1k troops for 150 if that.

It's almost certainly not mercs, it'll be Religious troops.
If you are a Dharmic religion as well, check the Piety cost for hiring religious troops and then don't attack anyone who has more than that piety.

In my Britannia game, I keep having asshat vassals ask me for more land. I've got 2 counties, you scrounging fucktards - you have 5. You should be offering me one of yours!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

So, apparently you can create a Fratecelli Antipope, even when there is no Fratecelli pope. The expected thing happens when you click on the Fratecellie college of cardinals (Crash to Desktop)

We have fixed this for 2.7

God dammit, if you accept joining a war for a new ally and they then invite you to enter the war, when you already have their wartarget in your dungeon, the game hangs up and then if you save and reload or enter observe, you get the alliance breaker penalty.

Not fixed this, but it is in our bug list now, thanks!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

kingturnip posted:

It's almost certainly not mercs, it'll be Religious troops.
If you are a Dharmic religion as well, check the Piety cost for hiring religious troops and then don't attack anyone who has more than that piety.

I guess that is it. Where do I find those? I am Buddhist and mainly attacking hindu. I didn't even realize I could spend karma for troops. Is there any other things I can spend karma on?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

I guess that is it. Where do I find those? I am Buddhist and mainly attacking hindu. I didn't even realize I could spend karma for troops. Is there any other things I can spend karma on?

OK, found it under Holy Orders. Holy crap didn't realize I had that available, wouldn't have had to surrender those wars if I knew.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I made someone viceroy of Ireland. Apparently they were preparing an invasion of Lithuania because when they suddenly died the title came back to me and a few weeks later the invasion kicked off as if I had prepared it. Pretty sure that must be a bug, right? It sucks too because the target was in a defensive pact against me with tons of other kingdoms so I had to white peace before I got overwhelmed.

Also somehow the viceroy of France in my game has made that title his own. Instead of reverting back to me when he dies it goes to his son.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Chin Strap posted:

This has been my go to for finding out total levies without fussing with realm tree bs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That works for nearly everything but you still need to bust out the realm tree for tribal and nomad who have alliances with their tribal subjects/clans.

And also the actual problem at hand, religious orders. Which you can at least find the political entity formed for orders and check out their troop count.

Only leaves prestige and piety troops from tribes that you need to know exist because they don't exist in the interface like any other troop that could possibly be called up.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Not fixed this, but it is in our bug list now, thanks!
I managed to recreate it for you I think, just ally with a dude before he can call you in, you may have to do it right away after he accepts. You should hear the sound of the shield falling to request you enter the alliance but you can click it to accept again because, duh, ya already in the war. Then you'll get the alliance breaker a bit later.

I don't know if the whole "have him in prison already" was the defining factor now. I am filled with doubts and uncertainty that can only be solved by someone explaining what the difference between the Norman "Can Raid Overseas with boats" and "Can raid religious enemies" is.

Is it a discount on boats? Is it that the latter can only raid religious enemies while the former can do both?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

I don't know if the whole "have him in prison already" was the defining factor now. I am filled with doubts and uncertainty that can only be solved by someone explaining what the difference between the Norman "Can Raid Overseas with boats" and "Can raid religious enemies" is.

Is it a discount on boats? Is it that the latter can only raid religious enemies while the former can do both?

I believe it is that the latter can raid provinces that border theirs by land, and the former can raid anywhere that they can park a fleet offshore. (Don't Norse etc. have both those tooltips, while Tengri only have "can raid religious enemies", for example?)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, but I thought everyone could raid with a boat? They may have changed that at some point, it's just boats are super expensive so it's not as feasible?

And yea, Norse have both of those butte de Normans only have one and I was wondering if it might be worth it to go Latin as I take over the Karlings.

I'd give up heavy infantry, the runestone for, uhhh, slightly easier conquests?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chin Strap posted:

OK, found it under Holy Orders. Holy crap didn't realize I had that available, wouldn't have had to surrender those wars if I knew.

Be aware that Hindu have a larger holy order than you as a Buddhist, as well as general combat bonuses for being Hindu, so you want to make sure either you can gang up on your war target with an alliance, or have enough cash on you to hire mercenaries on top of the holy order.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
oh my god when all the loving holy orders trigger at once for Christians its such bullshit, uggghhhh

I thought these fuckers were supposed to be staggered? loving Astorias would have won if I hadn't intervened in my dynasts invasion of Galicia. (also man, is it super loving annoying that the AI doesn't chain-siege like a human does!)

Especially because it's at least 20 years after that when you just start to have a chance of getting the Jomsvikings and you usually have to reform the drat faith for that to happen.

Man, I´m not sure if Hispania and all of Britain except England will be enough to withstand a serious Crusade. The first one was thankfully called on Hungary of all places, but I'm on the clock now.

Meanwhile, one of my morons somehow managed to prepare an invasion for Jerusalem, so now I have Jihads to look forward to if the drat Caliph ever steps up his game. He himself isn't that big an issue, but if he, Egypt, Khiva, Arabia and Persia get on my game I'm hosed because Norse can't convert for poo poo and the event for settling hasn't triggered near often enough.

If I release Africa and Ireland, I can probably prepare another invasion for Egypt, which with all the alliances I have with the kingdoms might be enough to gently caress them over pre-emptively. I guess I could also try to pull down the entire Arabian Empire but that seems like a bit of a tall order.

Dammit, I shoulda gone for Greece but nooooo, I wanted revenge on the drat Umms for the games they blobbed so bad in the Charlie start.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, but I thought everyone could raid with a boat? They may have changed that at some point, it's just boats are super expensive so it's not as feasible?

And yea, Norse have both of those butte de Normans only have one and I was wondering if it might be worth it to go Latin as I take over the Karlings.

I'd give up heavy infantry, the runestone for, uhhh, slightly easier conquests?

You need the specific overseas raiding ability to do that. Normal raiding is neighbors only, overseas lets you park a fleet offshore and suck up cash. Both are incredibly useful and can get you tons of gold, moral authority(from sacking enemy temples), and the occasional female claimant you can take as a concubine. It's also a great way to soften up enemies before declaring a real war, or helping your vassals out when they're waging a war you can't join by looting the holdings of their enemy. You can also target the demesne of the enemy sovereign to sack holdings in while leaving the rest of their realm untouched. It will crater their levy numbers and make factions against them fire more quickly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huh, it used to be that just being able to raid, which was enabled from being either pagan or tribal let you do boat raiding; I suppose they've now separated that.

Why then have both for Norse? Does boat raiding enable you to raid coreligonists while infidel raiding only allows for religious enemies? Hmmm.

And man, back in the day before you had tribal holdings and the retinue nerf, it was insane to have the roaming murderstack destroying poo poo. You can't really replicate it now, sadly, except maybe as a horde.

Also it feels like they really slowed down Norman spreadin', I've been Brittany for a while now and its only in two of my counties and it hasn't asked my dude to convert. I could do it via decision but meh

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
What the gently caress? So I just pressed a guy's claim on this duchy but then like a month later one of his new vassals just usurped the title from him. It's a 3 county duchy, with my guy holding one county, the new usurper holding one, and the last held by an independent count.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There seem to be some very weird glitches involving usurping these days? I mean, I've been able to usurp some weird as loving titles at times before they rapidly disappear.

In your case though, are you sure he just didn't do it through a plot?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think those cases are usually plot claim presses? Depending on the maluses the duke has on local relations getting the plot power can be ridiculously easy when the court is unanimously mad at him for being a foreigner etc and the new dukes troops are usually thrashed from war or new owner maluses so he just goes whelp and hands the title over without war. If your goal was to fold them into your country you're not necessarily any worse off but you can keep an eye out for opportunities to put your favored duke back in power.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Huh, I didn't even know you could usurp titles through plots. So basically any time you press a duke+ claim for a guy one of his new vassals can just instantly pluck the title right away and there's nothing you can do about it? I feel like there should be a time restriction on that or it should let the liege intervene if he's just got that title since of course he's not going to have any troops with the new administration and recently conquered status on his lands.

It also boned me because the title was usurped while I was in a war pressing my guy's de jure claim over the one independent count so when I won that war nothing happened because my guy was no longer duke. I think I'll just revoke and destroy the duchy title since my I'm old as heck and nowhere near my vassal limit. And I might imprison and mutilate the usurper for being uppity. Time to go full tyrant.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you win a war to install a claimant by sieging down the capital, the newly installed claimant will be taking over a county with no troops and very frequently will abdicate the title to a faction demand within a week.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Norman or Norse? Does Norman even do anything? I don't get feasts or any of the poo poo that the latin christians have do I?

I mean, I'm tempted to let all the different norse people split into nations and have me be norman by waiting a bit longer but I really dunno.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I started a game as Count of Luxembourg and ended up eventually as Duke of Brandenburg, Holland and Aquitaine. Game ended when a series of events involving male heirs dying off and ending up as a female ruler in a non-matrilineal marriage with 2 underage male boys being assassinated. Shame really, because the family has really spread around...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

mmkay posted:

I started a game as Count of Luxembourg and ended up eventually as Duke of Brandenburg, Holland and Aquitaine. Game ended when a series of events involving male heirs dying off and ending up as a female ruler in a non-matrilineal marriage with 2 underage male boys being assassinated. Shame really, because the family has really spread around...

It's always fun when you are looking at the map and then find a kinsman in a completely unexpected place.

And I wonder if me converting to Norman would screw over the entirety of the Norse culture, as it needs at least one empire level title for it to not split up or for the religion head to have that, so if I'm bot but norman but not norse will that gently caress errythang up?

That does sound very amusing! Maybe I will go for it after all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Thinking of finally getting my long dreamed of Iberian Caliph-to-Be game going once Monks and Mystics releases. Everything in it sounds so delightful that I'd kick myself if I started now.

The only dilemma I'm having is: Is it just Shia getting a secret society? I hope the expansion has some option for Sunni too :ohdear:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Couldn't you turn the Ashari/Mutazilites into open ones?

What would a Sunni secret society be about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Couldn't you turn the Ashari/Mutazilites into open ones?

What would a Sunni secret society be about?

I have no idea! I suppose it'd be more accurate to say "I hope Sunnis get some relevant content whether it be a monastic order ot society or whatever" :v:

• Locked thread