Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Wugga posted:

Did they remove the ability to use Forget me Now with The Void? I remember reading that people used it before but it only worked me once (when I took it with Void) and now suddenly it doesn't.
Yeah, all one use items are now used when you try to void them, but not added to the void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

Yeah, all one use items are now used when you try to void them, but not added to the void.

That's really lame

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
At least it actually lets you get the benefit of Forget Me Now while keeping the Void. Normally you'd have to give up your active item to use FMN. It sucks, but to be fair, Void is pretty broken even without it.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

il_cornuto posted:

What a bummer. And I just found FmN on the first floor, too.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Just got done with the Aprils Fool challenge, all I have left is Ultra Hard. Any tips for that beyond resetting to get a good first item?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The game shouldn't really break open with just a single item. And I think the old way it worked amounted to a bug anyway, surely the item disappearing is part of its activation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ryuga Death posted:

Just got done with the Aprils Fool challenge, all I have left is Ultra Hard. Any tips for that beyond resetting to get a good first item?
Hearts don't drop at all, so if that affects your gameplay be aware of it - probably shouldn't feed devil beggars, for instance, and Dark Bum sucks.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wow, Antibirth really is great. Installing it was kind of a pain (was the install file supposed to not have any documentation?) but I figured it out and now I'm playing with great new items in new, radically different areas! I haven't really experienced it being balls hard either. And I really like Wormwood! It's the fun of Scolex or Pin without being invincible all the time or crumpling in a second, and its attack that punches out holes is totally cool and easy enough to manipulate once you've got the hang of it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The game shouldn't really break open with just a single item. And I think the old way it worked amounted to a bug anyway, surely the item disappearing is part of its activation.

To be fair, there are several items that absolutely do break the game open by themselves already. Honestly, considering the Glass Cannon and Stopwatch nerfs, it's a miracle Epic Fetus never got hit with anything.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I believe Epic Fetus was actually nerfed with Rebirth. It doesn't do as much damage any more. in any case there's a difference between "You have a powerful weapon" and "You can replay an easy floor an arbitrary number of times, allowing you to amass as many items as you want".

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Does Big Horn have the Hush/Greed damage reduction? I fought him in the dark room and it took almost as long as Delirium. The bestary says he's got about as much HP as Monstro which is very, very wrong.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

I believe Epic Fetus was actually nerfed with Rebirth. It doesn't do as much damage any more. in any case there's a difference between "You have a powerful weapon" and "You can replay an easy floor an arbitrary number of times, allowing you to amass as many items as you want".

Reworked would be a better way to describe it. It dealt 80 damage in the original and there was no way to change it. It actually scales heavily with your damage in Rebirth.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Whoa, the new Dim Bulb trinket is nuts. It gives you a massive stat boost(like +50% on every stat) if your active item is completely uncharged, but it counts infinite use items like the Jar and Remote Detonator.

Also I never realized how good The Jar is with Humble Bundle. Infinite hearts!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This Ultra Hard challenge is the most unfun thing I've experienced in BoI so far. Someone tell me there is a way to cheese it so I can be done with this dumb bullshit.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Wow, Antibirth really is great. Installing it was kind of a pain (was the install file supposed to not have any documentation?) but I figured it out and now I'm playing with great new items in new, radically different areas! I haven't really experienced it being balls hard either. And I really like Wormwood! It's the fun of Scolex or Pin without being invincible all the time or crumpling in a second, and its attack that punches out holes is totally cool and easy enough to manipulate once you've got the hang of it.

Wormwood is great. The whole Downpour is amazing to me. It's pretty much "Flooded Caves, but done right." The number of interesting and unique ways it ties mechanics to the water is amazing. You've got invisible enemies you can only see in the water's reflection, you've got drowned enemies who rise from the murky depths to surprise you once you've killed all their friends, you've got enemies that can skim the surface of the water to cross gaps, you've got "flooded" enemies who can spit a single mouthful of water at you before becoming regular dudes, and you've got three unique bosses who use the floor's water against you in various ways. Contrast this with Flooded Caves, which is the Caves, but bluer, and with tankier enemies (who themselves spawn tankier enemies).

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Also I never realized how good The Jar is with Humble Bundle. Infinite hearts!

Humble Bundle is almost but not quite a game winner by itself and one of those things I will happily plunder the Donation Box to pay for.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RatHat posted:

Whoa, the new Dim Bulb trinket is nuts. It gives you a massive stat boost(like +50% on every stat) if your active item is completely uncharged, but it counts infinite use items like the Jar and Remote Detonator.

I think there's a bright bulb too but lol if the items with no charge bar like guppy's paw count for both

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

that ivy guy posted:

I think there's a bright bulb too but lol if the items with no charge bar like guppy's paw count for both

Wiki says they do, yeah. Mom's Purse with Dim+Vibrant Bulb is probably the best trinket setup in the game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I think I'm somehow screwed out of some Achievements. When I started playing the game, the challenges were unlocked, but there are achievements for unlocking the challenges. I can't seem to make them happen.

Not that it really matters, but it would be nice to know if there's a fix.

Edit: Found an answer. Open the Secrets menu and it should re-sync your game. Apparently I played the game before achievements were added.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 12, 2017

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

This Ultra Hard challenge is the most unfun thing I've experienced in BoI so far. Someone tell me there is a way to cheese it so I can be done with this dumb bullshit.
I'd say if you really don't want to put up with it anymore, just use cheat engine to blow through it quickly.

Other than that, hold R until you get a really good item in the first item room.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well thanks to D100 rerolling me into some ridiculous combination I was able to do Boss Rush, Hush, and Delirium on the same run as Apollyon. Now I just need to do finish Greedier mode with each character...ugh.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

I dunno, it's more than simply a powerful weapon. It is end-game strong, it opens all secret and super-secret rooms forever, it busts all bricks and shopkeepers and skulls forever, it damages groups without declining damage (sorta like a shot upgrade that passes through enemies), it shoots "around walls" (like that tear upgrade), allows you to flee rooms forever, has nearly infinite practical range, and then still has further more powerful synergies with other items.

Double-shot is a great powerful upgrade. Epic Fetus is basically 10-12 different item benefits combined.

I feel like 90% of my wild overpowered runs have been due to epic fetus, including most of my Lost wins.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

My issue with Epic Fetus is that the delay between aiming the marker and the bomb dropping can be too long for comfort, especially as The Lost.

Tech X is the actual sleeper choice for best upgrade. Keeper is almost playable with it, if that's any indication.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Epic Fetus, like Brimstone and Mom's Knife, is run-defining in a bad way. Once you have one of those you pretty much know how the entire rest of your run is gonna look.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Epic Fetus, like Brimstone and Mom's Knife, is run-defining in a bad way. Once you have one of those you pretty much know how the entire rest of your run is gonna look.

I like brimstone more than Epic fetus or Mom's knife in that regard since it at least has cool synergies with other items.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile, I managed to somehow lose on the Computer Whiz challenge rather spectacularly. See, one of the first Devil Rooms I got on that challenge happened to slip me a Brimstone and well let's just say I could have used the Bible right about that time.

Other than that, I take it I should stick to Antibirth as long as possible? I mean, I haven't unlocked the Corpse/Witness yet but that's probably due to RNG.

And speaking of, is Hard Mode in Rebirth/Antibirth just "get a really good item first floor and hope the run builds on that"? All I see are more champions without the Champ Belt.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hard mode isn't that bad really. It makes hearts drop less, curses more frequent, and champions more frequent. Since some unlocks are tied to Hard mode I suggest just always using it for your runs.

The Ultra Hard challenge is loving bullshit though.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So I'm pretty sure my girlfriend found either a bug or the worst possible room on stream because holy poo poo I've never seen this before what even is this bullshit

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Faerie Fortune posted:

So I'm pretty sure my girlfriend found either a bug or the worst possible room on stream because holy poo poo I've never seen this before what even is this bullshit

amazing

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Faerie Fortune posted:

this is why isaac is the best game ever

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Faerie Fortune posted:

What the hell?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I am still hopeless addicted to this game, even though I think I hate it. I just don't know where the end is, there's just too much.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Faerie Fortune posted:

I didn't know enemies could collect Guppy items.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
looks like a mod or bug

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

She doesn't have any mods at all, even UI ones. This is 100% vanilla afterbirth+ at work

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Faerie Fortune posted:

Did you send in a bug report for this?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I tweeted it to Edmund but maybe I should've sent it to Tyrone/Nicalis instead? I don't know who's handling the post-release patching so..

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Don't get the bookworm transformation with epic fetus, because it gives you a chance to shoot between 0-2 missiles per shot. You can aim the marker and zero explosions happen, you just have to aim again and hope it doesn't whiff.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

I like brimstone more than Epic fetus or Mom's knife in that regard since it at least has cool synergies with other items.

Mom's Knife is the ultimate in lame synergy-killing instant-win items. So little actually works with it, even in Afterbirth, and the things that do work often take it from overpowered to unusable (see: Tiny Planet, Ludovico). There's nothing cool, stylish, or satisfying about using it. Its only good synergies are with Loki's Horns and Brimstone.

Brimstone is baller as hell. It's powerful, but cool and satisfying to use, with tons of great synergies. Homing Brimstone, Multi-shot Brimstone, Ludovico Brimstone, Tiny Planet Brimstone, Rubber Cement Brimstone, Wiggle Worm Brimstone, they're all amazing individually. In combination, they make you feel like a Demigod.

Epic Fetus used to be Mom's Knife-tier "take only if you desperately need a win," but Afterbirth improved it by adding a lot of synergies. Now it works with stuff like Technology and Brimstone as if you automatically have sad bombs, and Multi-shot causes multiple missiles to fall in succession. It also combined with most bomb items, so you can get stuff like Fiery Sad Scatterbuttbombs Fetus that drop prizes in every explosion! :buddy: Still not as satisfying as Brimstone, but definitely fun in the right circumstance. I like calling in air strikes.

Mom's Knife would be a lot cooler if they would just make it do cool poo poo with other items. I don't care that it doesn't make sense; when I hit enemies when Mom's Knife/Parasite, I want my knives to create smaller knives that fly off and do more damage, damnit! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I think the Nose Goblin trinket gives the booger tears a little bit of homing. I saw several of them twist around to try and hit monsters they just passed by, and still fall short.

I really like booger tears for the stacking DoT effect and for covering monsters in globs of snot until they suffocate, and making the sticky tears of Explosivo not uselessly terrible.