Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's been ages since I've delved into manga, but Monster was my definite favorite series that I read. Beyond the story and the characters I really loved the pacing. Every chapter seemed to end on a high note or cliffhanger* without things being needlessly dragged out. Back then it soured me a little on every weekly series that didn't have an end even remotely in sight.

I never bothered with the anime because how was it ever going to be remotely close to that fantastic experience? I'm saddened to hear that they didn't release the entire series tho.

*not really cliffhangers when you can binge the whole thing, but you know what I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The anime wasn't quite on par of course, but it stuck to the source material like glue and is still a step above for it. Comics are a bit freer in terms of budget and pacing and like you said, Monster as a manga was gorgeously honed in on being a page turner. I even bought that first volume at the height of my teen "all my media must be cute" phase and still devoured it in an hour. Plus Urasawa just really nails the perfect expressions for each panel. :allears:
It's a manga I really want to recommend to Western comic fans but drat if it isn't hard to get around that stigma.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Das Boo posted:

The anime wasn't quite on par of course, but it stuck to the source material like glue and is still a step above for it. Comics are a bit freer in terms of budget and pacing and like you said, Monster as a manga was gorgeously honed in on being a page turner. I even bought that first volume at the height of my teen "all my media must be cute" phase and still devoured it in an hour. Plus Urasawa just really nails the perfect expressions for each panel. :allears:
It's a manga I really want to recommend to Western comic fans but drat if it isn't hard to get around that stigma.

Those new collections they've been putting out for the last couple years are absolutely worth it. Big investment now, but I got each of them as they came out and could not wait for the next volume each time.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly, even for Anime - Winter is always a weak season, but it looks positively dire this time. Little Witch Academia is the only promising one and who knows when Netflix will put that up.

the kyoani monster girls show (wait why are you running? stop!) looks like it will actually be pretty decent, the madhouse ACCA show looks like it will at least be decent, potentially better than that, the second season of the rakugo show will probably be good. then maybe one or two of the other things will be watchable

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Unmature posted:

Those new collections they've been putting out for the last couple years are absolutely worth it. Big investment now, but I got each of them as they came out and could not wait for the next volume each time.

Oh hell, I got my complete set during their first US run. I could not keep out of that poo poo! This last Christmas I just finished out my 20th Century Boys collection and I'll have an easy wrap up with Pluto. It's good to know they're still publishing Monster though, in the very likely event one of my volumes fall apart. I started buying them...

It was 13 years ago now. :staredog:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Probably because I watched the sub first, and also because I'm not American, but I loathe the dub on Cowboy Bebop. I can't stand more than 10 seconds of it because I like CB so much and the dub destroys the characterisation in the Japanese voice track.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Das Boo posted:

A part of me hopped at one time this was because of licensing issues with Del Toro developing it as an HBO series. Which wow, I thought that might actually happen at some point. I managed to catch its one run on Sci-Fi which was nice, because it was extremely my mom's poo poo and she has trouble with the right-to-left manga format.

Nah, this was years before the HBO series was a thing. They released the first DVD set and it sold like garbage, so they didn't release the rest of the series. It used to be on iTunes, but not anymore.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Oh hell, I got my complete set during their first US run. I could not keep out of that poo poo! This last Christmas I just finished out my 20th Century Boys collection and I'll have an easy wrap up with Pluto. It's good to know they're still publishing Monster though, in the very likely event one of my volumes fall apart. I started buying them...

It was 13 years ago now. :staredog:

The first time I read 20th Century Boys I did it in about four days. So, so good.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Waffleman_ posted:

Monster is so good, but Viz has given up on it in the west, so it's not legally available anywhere. Gotta go that deep web that daaaark web.

Man I wish someone would animate glass shark

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 13, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Aw man why isn't A Ghufi Movie out on bluray :\

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my friends... in a way we are all naked

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Moon Atari posted:

I also got roped into seeing Sing, it was what I expected it to be, but I was surprised that the reaction by the kids in the audience seemed so unenthusiastic. The only laughter was to the fart joke. The real reaction was to the five seconds of minions in the trailer to Despicable Me 3. Kids were screaming in ecstasy, doing flips, one kid does a victory lap of the cinema. They really love those things hey.
this is horrifying and the golden age of the west is over

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
dark web is such a great term, it's so dramatic cyberpunk from 1998, i imagine it as sa except we're all wearing venetian theatre masks and talking with fake accents

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
http://deadline.com/2017/01/will-smith-dumbo-tim-burton-disney-movie-bad-boys-for-life-1201883196/

:psyduck:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Dear Disney,

no dont

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Aw man why isn't A Ghufi Movie out on bluray :\

Right? What the hell, Disney.

Will Smith would probably play the mouse in Dumbo if anyone. Though my dream casting would be Kevin Hart. No CGI needed. Just put some ears and a hat on him.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Will Smith is gonna voice the racist crows

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Dumbo will be a man and animal story where Will Smith takes care of the Dumbo after being seperated from his mother.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

lmao, how could they have released this thing? Since when does hermione have freckles lol.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Moon Atari posted:

lmao, how could they have released this thing? Since when does hermione have freckles lol.

Why'd you photoshop it? The original is perfectly bad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Dumbo will be a man and animal story where Will Smith takes care of the Dumbo after being seperated from his mother.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The live-action remakes sometimes make sense like The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella. Not to mention that there were live-action versions before Disney's anyways.

Dumbo would sort of make sense as a CGI remake, but a live-action/animated hybrid horrifies me. Even the CGI isn't blasphemy since Walt remade a few cartoons (like Orphan's Benefit and The Ugly Duckling). The only reason it would even be worth it is that the remake is that radically different. Which will happen since Dumbo is barely over an hour long.

You'd think they'd opt to do Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, The Sword in the Stone, or even The Rescuers first.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure they are doing Aladdin. Swear I heard about it in the last thread.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In this version, they flip everything and make sure there's no message, like with The Jungle Book. In this case, Dumbo learns to fly and then instead of the French copying his design for bombers, he himself becomes a bomber, and personally delivers payload after payload of firestart over the civilian neighborhoods of Dresden

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pick posted:

In this version, they flip everything and make sure there's no message, like with The Jungle Book. In this case, Dumbo learns to fly and then instead of the French copying his design for bombers, he himself becomes a bomber, and personally delivers payload after payload of firestart over the civilian neighborhoods of Dresden

A Trump era hero

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Egbert Souse posted:

You'd think they'd opt to do Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty

well Maleficent already happened and apparently both Aladdin and The Little Mermaid are in the wings if Beauty and the Beast is a hit

After seeing recent stills for Beauty and the Beast I am more interested in it than I thought I would be, at least as far as costume design goes because I am in love with Gaston's red jacket :swoon:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Aces High posted:

well Maleficent already happened and apparently both Aladdin and The Little Mermaid are in the wings if Beauty and the Beast is a hit

After seeing recent stills for Beauty and the Beast I am more interested in it than I thought I would be, at least as far as costume design goes because I am in love with Gaston's red jacket :swoon:

Oh, I completely forgot about Maleficent. To Disney's credit, it's actually a terrific film and exactly how a remake ought to be handled. Cinderella was great, too.

I'm hesitant about Beauty since the animated film isn't that great in my opinion. I saw it again after not seeing it since I was a kid and it really doesn't hold up well. And Gaston's voice...

(Though, I'm biased since I think Cocteau's film is a masterpiece)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pick posted:

I'm sorry, are you trying to cast shade on Jungle Book and this theoretical version of Dumbo or are you trying to sell me on it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh, I completely forgot about Maleficent. To Disney's credit, it's actually a terrific film and exactly how a remake ought to be handled. Cinderella was great, too.

I'm hesitant about Beauty since the animated film isn't that great in my opinion. I saw it again after not seeing it since I was a kid and it really doesn't hold up well. And Gaston's voice...

(Though, I'm biased since I think Cocteau's film is a masterpiece)

so this is what it means to be... triggered

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

My sister sat me down to watch Frozen Fever and all of the animated shorts on the disc and had no idea Disney did John Henry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuNckYmnkC0

Rent all 7 minutes of it Ondemand for two american dollars

Edit: Oh Yeah, It Was pretty awesome.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

so this is what it means to be... triggered

my favorite part of that post is at the end he bashfully admits to thinking Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast is a masterpiece, like that's weird or something

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm tiggered

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh, I completely forgot about Maleficent. To Disney's credit, it's actually a terrific film

No it's not.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Aces High posted:

Jesus christ

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh my god

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My Disney playlist on shuffle is loving amazing for getting through a dreary work day before Switchmas tonight. I just went from Hellfire to You Know Who You Are (from Moana) to Hakuna Matata :allears:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Hedrigall posted:

My Disney playlist on shuffle is loving amazing for getting through a dreary work day before Switchmas tonight. I just went from Hellfire to You Know Who You Are (from Moana) to Hakuna Matata :allears:

Dang, I just realised that Moana is structurally a palindrome.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

MoanaoM

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think she's saying the plot has a mirrored structure, because yeah, that's the first thing I thought too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

Dang, I just realised that Moana is structurally a palindrome.

Could you clarify what you mean? I'm a bit curious but don't quite get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The technical term you're looking for is 'chiasmus', which is a palindromic narrative.