Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Also the Mortal Combat soundtrack was pretty great.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are there any video game movie adaptations that are good / competent?

I remember the first Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie being sort of okay for what it was but haven't seen it in a while.

I'm probably alone in this but I really enjoyed the World of Warcraft movie. I'm also gonna out myself as a huge dork: after I finished watching it, I booted up Warcraft II and was overjoyed that the action took place right after the events in the movie. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Forgall posted:

Well it does have highest metacritic score of video game movies at 58...

Do you know what video game movie has the highest Rotten Tomatoes rating, which is only 43%?

Angry Birds

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mortal Kombat was great, and had a good soundtrack.

Shame about MK: Annihilation.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I was gonna say Super Mario Bros Movie but I just checked holy poo poo 15% RT score. How? I like that movie!. Sure it had bad acting, and bad planning, a ton of other things wrong with it, and didn't really follow the plot of the games at all and oh wait I see.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and yet they keep making Resident Evil movies

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I liked Silent Hill :downs:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I really liked World of Warcraft despite bad reviews. It got me to resub after years, too, though, admitably, it's probably hard to swallow for someone who doesn't know the game.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Are the Raul Julia bits in Streetfighter enough to overcome the rest of the movie?

He was very, very good as M.Bison. But then, the rest of the movie was very, very bad.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
Mario Bros is the best video game movie, but for entirely ironic reasons.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was it MK where Christopher Lambert played the main character? I've not watched it but I've considered it solely on the basis that Christopher Lamber was in it, because a) I love Highlander; and b) one of my favourite terrible sci-fi/fantasy movies is this Beowulf adaptation from 20 years ago that reimagines the story as "Beowulf if he was Mad Max".

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Chuck Tingle doing an AMA on Reddit today: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5nhd8p/i_am_dr_chuck_tingle_hugo_nominated_author_of/

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was it MK where Christopher Lambert played the main character? I've not watched it but I've considered it solely on the basis that Christopher Lamber was in it, because a) I love Highlander; and b) one of my favourite terrible sci-fi/fantasy movies is this Beowulf adaptation from 20 years ago that reimagines the story as "Beowulf if he was Mad Max".

He played one of the characters, but I don't know that he was the main character.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was basically obi wan but with lightning powers. I dont recall that he ever fought.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
How about the Street Fighter movie?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Like the other guy said, Obi-wan with lightning powers. He doesn't fight as such in this movie (in the sequel he does, but that's not Lambert). Also, he talks like he has marbles in his mouth for some reason. If you're a fan of Lambert, all the more reason to watch it.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Sormus posted:

How about the Street Fighter movie?

So so loving bad. Everything builds up to Van Damme doing his Flash kick and they basically just pull him up on some cable while he does a lovely backflip. Although I vaguely remember Zangief busting through a wall which was cool because Gief is the best SF character. Not enough shots of Kylies rear end too, even Biodome got that right

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Street Fighter movie is like a lesser version of Road House to me. Not good, exactly, but batshit insane enough it's incredibly entertaining.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Mezzanine posted:

Like the other guy said, Obi-wan with lightning powers. He doesn't fight as such in this movie (in the sequel he does, but that's not Lambert). Also, he talks like he has marbles in his mouth for some reason. If you're a fan of Lambert, all the more reason to watch it.

How could anyone be a Christopher Lambert fan?

Highlander was garbage that even Connery couldn't save.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Astrobastard posted:

So so loving bad. Everything builds up to Van Damme doing his Flash kick and they basically just pull him up on some cable while he does a lovely backflip. Although I vaguely remember Zangief busting through a wall which was cool because Gief is the best SF character. Not enough shots of Kylies rear end too, even Biodome got that right

This was the best part of that movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj94FNPvUgw

Also holy hell is that Ming-Na Wen?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

AnElegantPeacock posted:

This. In fact, just watch John Wick for no reason. Have you seen John Wick lately? Cause goddamn John Wick.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Watchin John Wick tonight.

Re: Mortal Kombat, Christopher Lambert was Raiden, you goddamned heathens!

CowboyKid posted:

I will fight you.

10 Beers has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Jan 12, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

IamnotJoe posted:

Also holy hell is that Ming-Na Wen?

It sure is! She was also Mulan in the Disney animated movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Let's keep things on track with a wonderful picture from an Assassin's Creed game.

Having actually seen Assassin's Creed today I have to say it is a great adaptation considering what they were handed and condense into a two hour movie. It's not as bad as people made it out to be but I even hesitate to say it was somewhat decent. In fact, it's probably a movie I'm going to dislike more and more if I keep thinking about, because it is certainly not without flaws. Marion Cotillard really was given some terrible lines.

CowboyKid posted:

Mayhe their sight is just as bad as Christopher Lambert's eyes.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Jan 12, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Stay safe movie pupper

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It sure is! She was also Mulan in the Disney animated movie.

Can't be - she's smiling.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember the first Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie being sort of okay for what it was but haven't seen it in a while.

Super Mario Brothers starring Dennis Hopper.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcySXoQLI5Q

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
The Mario Bros movie is a terrific film, because its a perfect representation of what a Mario game looks like to an 8yo who has consumed so much sugar and caffeine that his pupils are vibrating and he is up until dawn playing Super Mario World in some bizarre trance. What I'm saying is, it brings back a lot of good memories.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Jellymouth posted:

The Mario Bros movie is a terrific film, because its a perfect representation of what a Mario game looks like to an 8yo who has consumed so much sugar and caffeine that his pupils are vibrating and he is up until dawn playing Super Mario World in some bizarre trance. What I'm saying is, it brings back a lot of good memories.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen it, but I've heard good things about Parasite Eve

and the Phoenix Wright movie was directed by Takeshi Miike, so it's guaranteed to be at least entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20xsntIVokk

Guy Goodbody has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Jan 12, 2017

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

yeah this is good. sad. but good.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
There was a Dead or Alive movie, it was trashy as hell and by God it was aware of it!

Yes, it has volleyball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHQFZV_dgsU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

and the Phoenix Wright movie was directed by Takeshi Miike, so it's guaranteed to be at least entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20xsntIVokk

The Phoenix Wright movie is a pretty good watch. You won't get anything new out of it if you've played the first Ace Attorney game, but it's still worth a watch. My only complaint is it's very focused on the fourth case from the game for most of it's runtime, though they do at least use the third case as a cutaway scene to establish Edgeworth prosecuting the hell out of the culprit.

They also use the English character names in the subtitles rather than the Japanese ones, which is a nice touch really.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There's a parasite Eve movie?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Holy poo poo.
:smith:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Parasite Eve movie was based on the Parasite Eve novel, not the game. The Parasite Eve game was a sequel to the book and came out after both the book and the movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I think I recall that Hopper actually bought a house from the money he made on the movie. He loving haaaaaated working on it, he was only supposed to be on set for a couple of weeks but because of production bullshit that blew out to a couple months.

But however much Hopper hated the film it's nothing on how badly Bob Hoskins hated it. He loving loathed that production, to the point where he was getting hosed-up-drunk with John Leguizamo between takes every day. Hoskins had to wear a cast on his hand for a lot of the shoot after Leguizamo broke his hand in a van door when they tried to do some driving scenes when he was drunk.

Bob Hoksins posted:

The worst thing I ever did? Super Mario Brothers. It was a fuckin' nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! Fuckin' nightmare. Fuckin' idiots.

The film killed the career of the co-directors (they went back to making music videos) and Nintendo were so upset with the results that they refused to licence any of their IPs for live action adaptations for decades, only easing up when they approved a live action Pokemon movie last year.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ride The Gravitron posted:

IIRC, Parasite Eve was one of those media blitz properties that Japan loved so much at the time where they pumped out everything with that name so that consumers could get some Parasite Eve no matter how they were consuming media.

If we include Japanese stuff, then the best video game movie is probably the Yakuza film since it at least was directed by Takashi Miike.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ride The Gravitron posted:

A quick search says it was made in 1997, and it's based on the original novel. Nothing to do with Aya Brea or Daniel Motherfuckin' Dollis.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Seems like a family friendly movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Phoenix Wright movie is a pretty good watch. You won't get anything new out of it if you've played the first Ace Attorney game, but it's still worth a watch. My only complaint is it's very focused on the fourth case from the game for most of it's runtime, though they do at least use the third case as a cutaway scene to establish Edgeworth prosecuting the hell out of the culprit.

They also use the English character names in the subtitles rather than the Japanese ones, which is a nice touch really.

I liked the first Pheonix Wright game well enough, but I couldn't wrap my head around how the cutesy presentation and slapstick humor were a complete contrast with how brutal the crimes were.

• Locked thread