Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

The Ferret King posted:

Don't forget to check out the home built thread also, though it's not very active.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474976

You guys need to do more building so there is more content.

I really do need to get started on that motor.

The S20 looks nice.

helno fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
So the 180 was only the 2nd plane I've ever flown, after the 140. Its strange how its so much the same but also so different. drat that thing likes to climb, and it does not want to go back down. Had to do a go around on my first landing with it because it just did not glide down anywhere near as fast as I expected it to.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Haha that's because the 140 is basically a brick with wings. It behaves well but once you pull the power back it basically says 'gently caress you I'm not a glider'.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Nuggan posted:

Had to do a go around on my first landing with it because it just did not glide down anywhere near as fast as I expected it to.

Good job. That story usually ends with "... So I forced the nose down and the speed built up, so I landed too far down the runway and/or on the nosewheel." It takes some discipline to reject a landing from an approach outside the parameters.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

Good job. That story usually ends with "... So I forced the nose down and the speed built up, so I landed too far down the runway and/or on the nosewheel." It takes some discipline to reject a landing from an approach outside the parameters.

Exactly what I thought when I read it. There is no shame in going around and it shows good judgment. I had to go around from 50 ft a couple of weeks ago when I got a -10 shear that kicked the nose around 20° - did it with pride.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
For people that use an iPad, what do you use as soft copies for your POH and FARs? I haven't purchased fore flight yet, but are those built in? Do you use separate apps for each?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I just found a PDF of the appropriate POH and keep it in ibooks.

You can keep PDF's in Foreflight as well but I find it easier to keep them separate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
OP update, please: my night rating is official!

(feels slightly anti-climatic getting something that every PPL in the US gets automatically, but I'll still claim it as an accomplishment)

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Good news: I passed my upgrade line check, so I'm officially a Q400 captain now.

Bad news: Our management just kicked off a legal battle with the pilots union by deciding to offer a $10k "pre employment bonus" to new hires, in a blatant attempt to ignore the contract they forced us into signing a year ago.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Practiced some landings today, my instructor said the only thing I need to work on is crosswind correction, other than that I'm doing great! I got my medical yesterday and have my student cert, so next lesson I get to go solo!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
FAA approved BasicMed today. Effective May 01, 2017.

tl;dr:
Up to 6 seats, up to 6,000 lbs. no limits on HP, number of engines or gear type
Day or night, vfr or ifr
Up to 5 passengers
must take free online course every two years and visit physician every 4 years
up to 18,000 feet msl
250 knots indicated airspeed limitation
cannot operate for compensation or hire

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Did my first solo today! 3 touch and go landings, + 1 full stop.

On my 2nd landing I made a call I never really expected:

"Uh, tower, be advised, I've spotted some heavy turtle activity on runway 13 just past my touchdown point."

Giant turtles just slowly making their way across the runway. I almost hit one, flipped my plane over, and died from turtles.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Good news: I fit in the C152 (actually quite comfortably, once I manage to fit myself through the door -- a non-trivial procedure).

Bad news: C152s do not come with windshield defrosters, and even after completing the run-up and getting some heat into the cabin, the windshield was frosting over quite badly. But we've ascertained that I can complete the start, taxi, run-up and shutdown successfully!

Nuggan posted:

"Uh, tower, be advised, I've spotted some heavy turtle activity on runway 13 just past my touchdown point."

Giant turtles just slowly making their way across the runway. I almost hit one, flipped my plane over, and died from turtles.

Congrats! Flying only gets steadily more awesome from your first solo onward (except on days you fuel up the plane at -25C and then have to return from the run-up bay because your windshield frosted over -- those days are not my favorite :v:)

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

PT6A posted:

Congrats! Flying only gets steadily more awesome from your first solo onward (except on days you fuel up the plane at -25C and then have to return from the run-up bay because your windshield frosted over -- those days are not my favorite :v:)

Thanks! I don't think I'll have that problem anytime soon since I'm in beautiful, flat, sea level, warm, sunny Florida. I just have turtles, birds, gators, and Florida-Man on the runway at times.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nuggan posted:

Thanks! I don't think I'll have that problem anytime soon since I'm in beautiful, flat, sea level, warm, sunny Florida. I just have turtles, birds, gators, and Florida-Man on the runway at times.

Where ya flying at?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

MrYenko posted:

Where ya flying at?

Just a bit outside of Orlando.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
This was how my second day as an airline captain went:

Show up to the airport, to find that our flight to PDX had been cancelled (due to snow), so we would bring the airplane to SEA instead, with an undetermined number of passengers.

Spend three hours waiting for said passengers to get rebooked, then go out to the airplane to find out that one of the FMS's decided it didn't want to work any longer. Spend about 20 minutes on the phone with maintenance deferring the FMS, then call them back when I realize they missed part of the MEL procedure.

Get passengers on board, push back, deice, start engines, and get presented with a "CABIN DUCT HOT" caution light, despite the fact that we'd never even turned the engine bleeds on.

Call maintenance control again, and get told to return to the gate, which is now occupied.

Make another call to maintenance, who are able to talk me through a reset procedure for the caution light, then have to talk to our dispatcher to make sure we had enough fuel to complete the flight.

Finally take off about four hours late.

On final into SEA, get a caution light indicating that the stick pusher system has failed, followed by two more cautions on the landing rollout indicating that both stall warning systems had also decided to stop working.

Make my fifth call to maintenance for this leg, write up the problem, and get a different airplane.

Take new airplane to Bellingham, hit windshear going there, and constant moderate turbulence on the return flight, which causes a passenger to vomit all over the last few rows of the airplane, as well as one of the flight attendants.

Since our scheduled overnight was now a skating rink, get put into a hotel in Seattle, and finish the day from hell.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Are the Q's really that bad? poo poo and I thought the 175 was a mx hog..
Today the fuel door sensor was being kinda stupid, so the fueler was still adding fuel at like D18 (that's 18 min til departure time for the non airline folks). D15... the number hasn't gone up at all... wait a sec, the guy is gone but it still says FUEL DOOR OPEN on the EICAS and doors status page. CA runs downstairs and fiddles w/ door for a sec, comes back, calls dispatch hi here's what's going on can we get xferred to mx, xfer to mx at like D13.. they come out at like D6 and monkey w/ the door a bit and clean the sensor, ops check good. Sign off the logbook, oh wait now we don't have 3 blank logbook pages we need to get a new logbook... handle all that poo poo and push remarkably not that late.... why do i mention all of this? Because they put the delay on us for "late call to MX" because we didn't call MX at D20 like we are supposed to... even though things can break or not be noticed (and aren't things we check) til after D20. I just don't give a gently caress anymore.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I don't recall the exact numbers, but the Q400 requires something like 50% more maintenance than a 175 on a normal basis, and the only way we can reliably dispatch the airplanes is by beating them into submission by throwing a ton of parts at the fleet.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Nuggan posted:

Congrats! One of my local airports has a NOTAM to watch for prairie dogs :3:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

The Slaughter posted:

Are the Q's really that bad? poo poo and I thought the 175 was a mx hog..
Today the fuel door sensor was being kinda stupid, so the fueler was still adding fuel at like D18 (that's 18 min til departure time for the non airline folks). D15... the number hasn't gone up at all... wait a sec, the guy is gone but it still says FUEL DOOR OPEN on the EICAS and doors status page. CA runs downstairs and fiddles w/ door for a sec, comes back, calls dispatch hi here's what's going on can we get xferred to mx, xfer to mx at like D13.. they come out at like D6 and monkey w/ the door a bit and clean the sensor, ops check good. Sign off the logbook, oh wait now we don't have 3 blank logbook pages we need to get a new logbook... handle all that poo poo and push remarkably not that late.... why do i mention all of this? Because they put the delay on us for "late call to MX" because we didn't call MX at D20 like we are supposed to... even though things can break or not be noticed (and aren't things we check) til after D20. I just don't give a gently caress anymore.

God bless.

(You fly for one of the Republic entities, correct?)

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

azflyboy posted:

I don't recall the exact numbers, but the Q400 requires something like 50% more maintenance than a 175 on a normal basis, and the only way we can reliably dispatch the airplanes is by beating them into submission by throwing a ton of parts at the fleet.

Bombardier products are the best, aren't they? :canada: I'm sure you guys are excited about the 175s coming over soon, although I heard management wasn't pleased at having to beg a competitor to sell QX some production orders...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I...uhh...may have appendicitis.

If I do and have to have it out, how hosed am I on the medical and how many disgusting sex acts will I have to perform on the feds to get it back?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

CBJSprague24 posted:

I...uhh...may have appendicitis.

If I do and have to have it out, how hosed am I on the medical and how many disgusting sex acts will I have to perform on the feds to get it back?

Very. All of them.

I guess what I'm seeing is don't mention it until your next medical. There's no reason they need to know yet. I went on a medication the FAA doesn't like but I didn't tell them until my medical was due. Then of course it triggered a whole thing (preventing me from getting it back) but I flew for a long time without disclosing it and after I get my medical back again soon after being off of it, I'll probably go back on it until I need to re-up it again.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 14, 2017

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Why would you even tell them? Focus on yourself.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Why would you even tell them? Focus on yourself.

Agreed. It ain't lying unless you get caught and if your AME is anything like mine he doesn't want to know what poo poo you've had in the past year. Unless it's cancer or a heart attack or you had a leg amputated I wouldn't say poo poo.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Please tell me the default policy is not to try and avoid disclosing medical problems when you're an airline pilot because holy poo poo that is retarded

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Pryor on Fire posted:

Please tell me the default policy is not to try and avoid disclosing medical problems when you're an airline pilot because holy poo poo that is retarded

Hey guess what! :v:

Yeah it's retarded, but when you consider that the regulator and the airlines still think and act like it's 1950 in terms of employee relations and human reaources, you can see why pilots are hesitant to declare any conditions to their doctors.

I mean basically everyone I know has done it at some point.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I wouldn't disclose it but ffs don't fly until you are fully healed and aren't taking anything.

At least in the military we are required to report any surgeries to the squadron doctor and then we get downed for a certain period of time. I imagine it has to be to be the same/similar for the airlines because any good idea they have we copy.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Appendectomies don't permanently disqualify you, I don't see why you'd mess with hiding such a basic surgery.

You won't lose your medical if you get your wisdom teeth pulled either, jfc.

I'm all for guarding your personal information but why risk losing it all over stuff that's not even disqualifying.

If you're flying for work, follow your union or company guidelines. If not, self ground until recovered and off medication for a long enough time, and report it on the next medical application.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 14, 2017

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
APPENDECTOMY AS PREVIOUSLY REPORTED.

For the next 30 years

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Went up for the first time since early November. I gotta practice my forced approaches but overall for not having flown in almost 3 months it wasn't bad at all. My instructor said that I'm still good to go for solo flying.

Holy poo poo even with him beside me the cold and my weight loss made for quite a climb rate :stare::fh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Went up for the first time since early November. I gotta practice my forced approaches but overall for not having flown in almost 3 months it wasn't bad at all. My instructor said that I'm still good to go for solo flying.

Holy poo poo even with him beside me the cold and my weight loss made for quite a climb rate :stare::fh:

Which forced approach technique were you taught? High key/low key or modified circuit, or both? Forced approaches were a weak area for me until I learned the high-key/low-key method, even if I don't use it all the time -- it gets you thinking more about your altitude and vertical speed, and where you should be in relation to your chosen field, or at least it did for me. Stopped me from ending up too high or too low all the time.

Also: finally got checked out on the 152. You aren't missing anything by not fitting in one, I promise you.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bowtie method, here. I like the fact that it means you never put your back to your selected landing field but there is deserved criticism that it's easy to crowd your selected landing field. The difficulty I had today was actually because I'm aware of this and overcompensated, setting my baseline a bit too far back for the altitude and wind conditions I had. I ended up too low for my selected field. The fact that it's been 3 months since I pulled the power and tried to glide that brick didn't help. Next time I'll be turning in a bit closer and remembering to apply flaps and slips in order to lose excessive altitude I might end up with.

Also ya I mentioned switching to the 152 because it's a touch cheaper and was advised that now that I'm almost 60lbs lighter it makes sense to try if I want to but the 152 is extremely spartan and apparently a bore to fly. Hardly anyone bothers with it once their PPL is finished and I pretty much intend to put in an hour a month to keep the rust from building over winter and when spring comes I probably only need maybe 3-5 hours to get myself back to flight test standard. With that in mind the minor savings just isn't worth the hassle of getting proficient with it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pryor on Fire posted:

In my case, I fly a desk; I'm a program coordinator for a college aviation department and the only person I'd have to report it to for those purposes is the Chair, who's an old C-17 driver and whose response was "Oh, poo poo...yeah...hope that turns out alright". Fortunately, it turned out to be a viral form of colitis which should pass in a few days.

Where it applied for me was maybe getting current someday soon and using that to springboard into the Remote Pilot Certificate if I ever find the timhahahahahhaha.

e- But with regard to the airlines, yeah,

MrChips posted:

Hey guess what! :v:

Yeah it's retarded, but when you consider that the regulator and the airlines still think and act like it's 1950 in terms of employee relations and human reaources, you can see why pilots are hesitant to declare any conditions to their doctors.

I mean basically everyone I know has done it at some point.

With the retards on Capitol Hill, especially those who are secretly really hoping somebody fucks up so they can chase ambulances all the way to superhero status, I get why that happens.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 15, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Apollo posted:

APPENDECTOMY AS PREVIOUSLY REPORTED.

For the next 30 years

PRNC

AME: So what's this about?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Holy poo poo thanks a lot Sheppard Air.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Turns out that taking check rides at 2:00 am really sucks. Who knew? Oh well, at least the only thing that got busted was my circadian rhythm.

Pryor on Fire posted:

The FAA medical system is pretty hosed. No one wants to get sued because they let a medically unfit pilot go flying so they tend to be overly trigger happy with medical issues. Therefore pilots tend not to disclose issues so they can keep their jobs. They don't want to be unemployed for 6 months after a bicycle accident because they bumped their head and someone thinks there's a remote possibility they got a concussion.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

Therefore pilots tend not to disclose issues so they can keep their jobs. They don't want to be unemployed for 6 months after a bicycle accident because they bumped their head and someone thinks there's a remote possibility they got a concussion.

I wish this could be the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

KodiakRS posted:

Turns out that taking check rides at 2:00 am really sucks. Who knew? Oh well, at least the only thing that got busted was my circadian rhythm.

Youre in aviation, you better get used to that.

• Locked thread