Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cleretic posted:

Counterpoint: I want all my games to punch me in the face, immediately, upon character creation*. This should set the tone for the entire rest of the game to come in difficulty and kindness to the player.

*Also all games should have a character creator, but that shouldn't have to be said.

You lovingly craft your avatar as they look in the mirror. When you are finished, he or she compliments his or her own good looks. Then, a knock at the door. The avatar goes to open it, only to be immediately shot in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's not far off from what metal gear 5 does

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In AssCreed 4 you have to sail your ship into the bayou in order to follow a boat. Even your crew comments on loving stupid it is.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Alhazred posted:

In AssCreed 4 you have to sail your ship into the bayou in order to follow a boat. Even your crew comments on loving stupid it is.

Ah yes, the naval stealth mission in which your character whispers commands to avoid alerting the crew of the ship 100m ahead.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Somfin posted:

I like playing games wrong and then complaining about the fact that they don't cater to my playstyle.

Mr Bibs alt spotted.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm quite the opposite - I like figuring out how average, or even a few bad, games want me to play and finding fun that others overlook. I figure out how to play the game right. Some games, however are bad enough to be beyond me, I'm not completely mad. :) Although paradoxically I am very bad at good games...

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
A minor one but in Skyrim I don't like doing Meridia's questline since there's a very good chance I'll die after talking to her since she levitates you 50 foot into the sky and there's a really good chance you'll slam into the ground and die once she sends you back down.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

Mr Bibs alt spotted.

Don't be ridiculous. If he's anything like me, he's not playing the game(s) wrong, the developers are screwing up, and changing things would be win-win because players get what they want, and the developers get a better game.

For example (not sure if I'm repeating myself), it's super dumb in Stellaris that you only get achievements if you're playing in Ironman mode. Change that, better game, nothing lost.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Judge Tesla posted:

A minor one but in Skyrim I don't like doing Meridia's questline since there's a very good chance I'll die after talking to her since she levitates you 50 foot into the sky and there's a really good chance you'll slam into the ground and die once she sends you back down.

I had the Frostfall mod installed and it was literally impossible to complete that quest as you'd spend so long up in the air, exposed to the elements, your character would freeze to death. :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Turns out in Gungeon it's still possible to not get any guns whatsoever on the first floor, meaning you spend even longer fighting the first boss, increasing the chance that it hits you and causing you to miss out on the health upgrade, setting you back even further for later. Game is still bad because hey, you still have to loving fish for resets if all you're getting are brown chests or shops with no guns or maybe the Unfinished Gun if you're lucky. Back to Nuclear Throne for me I guess.

The one thing that Ziggurat absolutely did right is give you a weapon in the starting room of every floor.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Don't be ridiculous. If he's anything like me, he's not playing the game(s) wrong, the developers are screwing up, and changing things would be win-win because players get what they want, and the developers get a better game.

For example (not sure if I'm repeating myself), it's super dumb in Stellaris that you only get achievements if you're playing in Ironman mode. Change that, better game, nothing lost.

It's like... sometimes I feel bad about strawmanning people, but every now and again you find someone who responds by saying "drat right I'm made of straw, I'm so easy to take down it's not even funny" and there's no real person under there.

Also I tried Gungeon again and it is legit fun but it's still awkwardly stingy and the increased health of enemies per floor is the single worst game design decision I've ever seen that wasn't made by Tiy. Just make a colour-shifted spritesheet for the each variant, gently caress.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Achievements in Stellaris have no in-game effect.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Gungeon also has palette-swapped enemies, which makes it even more baffling.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
"Hmm, why do they make these 'achievements' contingent upon in-game . . . achievement, when they could just unlock trivially, releasing endorphins into my brain and increasing my review score? I guess the devs just want bad press."

I mean technically you're right that nothing would be lost, because they're digital merit badges with zero mechanical impact, but that also means it's contradictory to say it would make the game better if your pieces of Steam account flair were easier to get

Somfin posted:

It's like... sometimes I feel bad about strawmanning people, but every now and again you find someone who responds by saying "drat right I'm made of straw, I'm so easy to take down it's not even funny" and there's no real person under there.

:yeah:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Somfin posted:

Also I tried Gungeon again and it is legit fun but it's still awkwardly stingy and the increased health of enemies per floor is the single worst game design decision I've ever seen that wasn't made by Tiy.

It's worst between floors 2 and 3. One way of mitigating the possibility of not getting guns is to just play as the hunter most of the time so you can at least fall back on your crossbow if necessary. Floor 3 is the point where the most basic enemies start taking two bolts to kill instead of one and it makes me want to abandon the run every time even if it was otherwise going well.

Someone posted a while ago that one of the main things you should never do when designing a game is make the player feel weaker as they progress. Make them feel like they're getting stronger and then introduce new enemies or increase the number of enemies they're facing to compensate. Gungeon has you going up against exactly the same enemies on different floors with no difference besides health pool and it's a terrible move, especially if you're getting screwed on RNG and now your crummy starter weapon is even more useless.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I always hated the "beat the boss without getting hit to get a health upgrade" mechanic because it helps pretty much no one. If you can beat the boss without getting hit you don't need a health upgrade, and you can probably beat the next floor without it. Meanwhile, if I have gone through hell to get to the boss and beat that boss with 1hp left by the skin of my teeth that health upgrade would be pretty useful! I know this is all in service of gitting gud, but it's frustrating when paired with enemies that increase health every floor so you're potentially getting hit more and doesn't really make sense. That's not even accounting for red enemies that pop up when you get a cursed item that take an agonizing amount of bullets to kill and aren't fun at all.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
how much harder is stellaris on Ironman mode vs casual?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's worst between floors 2 and 3. One way of mitigating the possibility of not getting guns is to just play as the hunter most of the time so you can at least fall back on your crossbow if necessary. Floor 3 is the point where the most basic enemies start taking two bolts to kill instead of one and it makes me want to abandon the run every time even if it was otherwise going well.

Someone posted a while ago that one of the main things you should never do when designing a game is make the player feel weaker as they progress. Make them feel like they're getting stronger and then introduce new enemies or increase the number of enemies they're facing to compensate. Gungeon has you going up against exactly the same enemies on different floors with no difference besides health pool and it's a terrible move, especially if you're getting screwed on RNG and now your crummy starter weapon is even more useless.

It's not just that they've got bigger health pools, it's that they've got invisibly bigger health pools that straddle important breakpoints. If the game had ARPG health bars with numbers on, and I saw that the crossbow was doing 5 damage and now basic enemies have 6 hp, I'd be able to understand and adjust. I see bigger numbers and put my game face on and start looking for powerups to compensate. Instead it's not that, there's no indication anywhere that enemies have grown stronger, so I just feel like I'm falling behind some curve I didn't even know was there.

They could even just throw in a text box between floors saying "the enemy has grown stronger" and that would do it.

Also it feels like I don't get drops from enemies that score a hit on me and that loving sucks when it's one of the big-drops dudes. Make a skill game or make a loot game but loving choose, the two don't interact well.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

Ironman mode means you only get a single save so you're committed to every action you take. So a lot harder, I guess.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

It's effectively more difficult inasmuch as it prevents the use of mods, console commands, and savescumming.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Duke posted:

I always hated the "beat the boss without getting hit to get a health upgrade" mechanic because it helps pretty much no one.
This applies to every upgrade that makes the game easier but requires you to already be really good at the game to get it. Or weapons/upgrades that you acquire so late in the game that you never really get to use them.

Related: Racing/fighting games with unlockable tracks/cars/characters/outfits. Why do I have to play through your dumb story mode or complete arbitrary challenges in order to access features of the game I already paid you for?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Somfin posted:

Also it feels like I don't get drops from enemies that score a hit on me and that loving sucks when it's one of the big-drops dudes. Make a skill game or make a loot game but loving choose, the two don't interact well.

I just don't get why the game punishes you by reducing drops of any kind when you get hit. You already got punished -- by losing health. And if you're taking a bunch of hits from Trigger Twins you probably aren't good enough to win anyway (cf me). The only thing denying you an upgrade on top of that accomplishes is kicking you while you're down, and forcing a bunch of resets because you're not paying attention because you're grinding out runs trying to make it back to the 4th floor where you're having trouble anyway.

Gungeon doesn't exactly shower you with health pickups anyway, so taking dumb hits or burning a blank because you screwed up already stings.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

This applies to every upgrade that makes the game easier but requires you to already be really good at the game to get it. Or weapons/upgrades that you acquire so late in the game that you never really get to use them.

Related: Racing/fighting games with unlockable tracks/cars/characters/outfits. Why do I have to play through your dumb story mode or complete arbitrary challenges in order to access features of the game I already paid you for?

I remember playing Mega Man Zero, finding the hidden cyber fairies, grinding for hours to get enough energy to unlock some of the cool fairy powers, and then being punished for it with a flat reduced rank at the end of every stage. Why even put the fuckin' things in if you're going to punish players who engage with the game enough to go for 'em?

And I agree with unlocking being something that should be bypassable in party games. Single-player, sure. But if it's 4 player couch stuff, lemme have it all with one button press.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Judge Tesla posted:

I always just ~TGM that because it really, really sucks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That's a glitch that happens? I've never died from Meridia lifting me into the sky.

I mean, I'm not surprised in any way by it, except that I've never seen it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Gungeon was made radically better with that one script that ensured you get some kind of reward every room

but now it doesn't work anymore and I don't know enough about CE to fix it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

That's a glitch that happens? I've never died from Meridia lifting me into the sky.

I mean, I'm not surprised in any way by it, except that I've never seen it.

I think they fixed it? I don't know I always just use TGM just to make sure. I know she's supposed to slow fall you or something but early on the slow fall just wouldn't trigger sometimes and you'd go falling to your death.

EDIT: More XCOM2; why do I have to pick up enemy drops now? One of the things I really liked about XCOM was that they removed the really lovely inventory system and drops from the first game. You killed dudes, you got fragments, you captured them you got guns. Now in 2 like one guy once a mission will drop an item and if you don't manually pick it up, gently caress you. Also half the missions you don't even recover bodies because again, gently caress you. The time it takes for a wounded soldier to recover has been hiked up, too. Got shot once? Well now that guy's out for a whole drat month, have fun with that.

The game in general feels way more needy too. In the first one you'd just scan and sometimes missions would pop up. In this one I'm just trying to finish my stupid research projects so my dudes stop dying but every three seconds some kind of doom fortress alarm goes off.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Jan 13, 2017

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I wish Shadow Complex had some sort of fast travel/teleport option for the end game. Hunting the last few items is boring since travelling is trivially easy but takes time.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

MisterBibs posted:

You are a loving idiot.

Thing dragging down Batman: Arkham Origins: The combat feels less precise than in City but I can't really put my finger on why. It's also annoying seeing it do that thing where the prequel has new gear that the hero forgets in the next chronological installment but that's just a side effect of how games work. Also I hate how overexposed the joker is but that's a problem far larger than one game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
MisterBibs is an idiot? Whaaaat?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Some more Dragon's Dogma talk from my second playthrough with some potentially minor spoilers from a storyline aspect of the game.

The game has a 'beloved' system where you can earn the affection of various NPCs through the course of the game. In the end, I don't think it really matters all that much but I was thinking of how much better it COULD have been and even a potential beloved option almost directly states what I was thinking the game needed.

They needed to set the storyline and quests up in some way that your beloved is sort of set up sooner AND becomes a member of your party for a sizeable part of the game. Their contribution and new quest and gameplay options could maybe have opened up reasons for replay a bit better and made the whole beloved thing matter a bit more. As it stands, I care more about my Pawn than my beloved, and why not? I've been through a lot of quests with them, I feel protective of them, when they get hurt or fall in battle, I'm actually attempting to help them. Compared to my beloveds who... don't really do anything to justify why the hell we should care about one another.

You can maybe justify the ending of the game a bit, though, with the current set up, but I don't know. From a story aspect, at least, it could give some different direction and reason to craft something maybe more scripted in the story outside of killing the dragon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

I remember playing Mega Man Zero, finding the hidden cyber fairies, grinding for hours to get enough energy to unlock some of the cool fairy powers, and then being punished for it with a flat reduced rank at the end of every stage. Why even put the fuckin' things in if you're going to punish players who engage with the game enough to go for 'em?

Scoring is pretty outdated in most games for decades anyway. It still has it's place sometimes, but why am I getting ranked in a single player game? Games would be a lot more enjoyable if they weren't constantly slapping me in the face with a C or B at the end of every stage. I get it, I'm not topping the leaderboards any time soon, give me a break, I got to the end of the loving level didn't I?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Dumb nerds gang up on some dude because he suggested having achievements locked away behind a game mode most people never play is a bad idea. #gamergoons

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
The affinity system in DragDogs is amazingly useless. The characters designated by the game as primary interests, because just doing their quests maxed out their meters, tend to vanish from the game after their quest.

For example, your childhood best friend falls in love with you right when you do the quest to make a care package for her journey that involves leaving the game area forever. She cannot be found after this, and because of the way the game works, if you max or anyone else's Love Meter they overwrite her and she's never coming back.

Of course, nobody but shopkeepers actually matter in the affinity system, so if you don't mind a creepy fat guy in your house just let the old man shopkeeper fall in love with you

I love this game but it's design is bizarre sometimes

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Kontradaz posted:

Dumb nerds gang up on some dude because he suggested having achievements locked away behind a game mode most people never play is a bad idea. #gamergoons

Spoken like someone who's not familiar with The Bibz, holder of The Worst Opinions.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Jukebox Hero posted:

The affinity system in DragDogs is amazingly useless. The characters designated by the game as primary interests, because just doing their quests maxed out their meters, tend to vanish from the game after their quest.

For example, your childhood best friend falls in love with you right when you do the quest to make a care package for her journey that involves leaving the game area forever. She cannot be found after this, and because of the way the game works, if you max or anyone else's Love Meter they overwrite her and she's never coming back.

Of course, nobody but shopkeepers actually matter in the affinity system, so if you don't mind a creepy fat guy in your house just let the old man shopkeeper fall in love with you

I love this game but it's design is bizarre sometimes

The best part is NPC's you regularly talk to gain affinity any and every time you talk to them so just showing up at a merchant even somewhat on the regular seems to all but guarantee unless you go out of your way they are your affinity person.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Feonir posted:

The best part is NPC's you regularly talk to gain affinity any and every time you talk to them so just showing up at a merchant even somewhat on the regular seems to all but guarantee unless you go out of your way they are your affinity person.

Incorrect. The ACTUAL best part is that they added an item to fix it, the Arisen's Bond, which is literally a wedding ring you give to your digital waifu, and it just maxes your Affinity with whoever you give it to, but doesn't stop them being overwritten as your beloved by talking to someone else. It's there to fix the problem of accidentally romancing randos and it just doesn't matter.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
You can also get out of relationships by punching people who like you too much a little bit.

You can do this in the game too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

Yea, he wasn't wrong as such; it's just mostly for Paradox games the cheevos are meant to be something you do in ironman so you don't cheat to get them.

All it does is not let you access the console or savescum (and you can even savescum if you really want to).

Perfectly legit thing to whine about; perfectly legit to whine about it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jukebox Hero posted:

I think you mean awesome. Literally any NPC except like, three can become your beloved if you put the effort in. Like you said, NPCs with dedicated questlines who vanish tend to max out their affinity when you finish with it, or are near enough to it that a few gifts before they go will nail it. So the hardest part is to just keep throwing anyone else off ledges or into the ocean to avoid having anyone love you more than the berserk homage NPC. :shepface:

Also for Dark Arisen they patched affection gains so it's a lot harder for shop keepers to be your beloved by accident if you do any other quest lines.

Somfin posted:

Because Megaman Zero hates you and everything about you. It has some of the most unreasonable ideas for scoring I've seen in a game, and whoever thought up the score system for Azure Striker Gunvolt seemed to have loved it.