Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

What's the new Beanie Babies?

I think it might be high end sneakers, but I'm open to hearing the other ridiculous poo poo people have suddenly decided is valuable

Nah there was a good article somewhere a while back with world-leading basketball shoe collectors in tears because the synthetic materials degrade into a pile of dust and goo after ~30 years even if they're stored perfectly.

Factory automation maintenance spares would be my bet. Up until sometime in the 90s specialty equipment was, at the component level, made out of standard common parts that are still readily available in new production today. The transition to SMD, ASIC, and FPGA technologies have made any kind of custom or short run electronics nigh unrepairable and a manufacturing company losing $50k an hour because one machine is down does not ask questions about price when they want random circuit board xyz with an exact part number match hand couriered here on the first flight you can charter.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

Nah there was a good article somewhere a while back with world-leading basketball shoe collectors in tears because the synthetic materials degrade into a pile of dust and goo after ~30 years even if they're stored perfectly.

Hahaha, that's amazing

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

shame on an IGA posted:

Factory automation maintenance spares would be my bet. Up until sometime in the 90s specialty equipment was, at the component level, made out of standard common parts that are still readily available in new production today. The transition to SMD, ASIC, and FPGA technologies have made any kind of custom or short run electronics nigh unrepairable and a manufacturing company losing $50k an hour because one machine is down does not ask questions about price when they want random circuit board xyz with an exact part number match hand couriered here on the first flight you can charter.

Oh my God I had no idea - here's the article.

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/sneakers/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Here it is: https://www.wired.com/2015/05/sneakers/

E: doh

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

shame on an IGA posted:

I think he meant Beanie Babies in the sense you meant sneakers - at the time a "hot investment" but now actually worthless.

Your idea about keeping automation spares around is actually pretty genius.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Just dumped $5k into NTDOY because I'm an idiot. :homebrew:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh my God I had no idea - here's the article.

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/sneakers/

Article posted:

It’s only a matter of time before some guy in Brooklyn starts churning out “artisanal” argon chambers constructed from cold rolled 18-gauge steel, and selling them to sneakerheads for an ungodly price.

If you read the article, your next million dollar idea is staring you right in the face :homebrew:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

leper khan posted:

Just dumped $5k into NTDOY because I'm an idiot. :homebrew:

Oh, goodness! Going hard in the paint are we?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

shame on an IGA posted:

I can definitely attest to the latter part of this quote. I ran the purchasing and spare parts department for a medium sized automation company and I can't tell you how many times I had parts couriered to end users. Even with providing them recommended spare parts lists, consignment inventories, etc. they still would often run out due to miss-management. This wasn't with companies using a machine or two either, but large multinationals with a large quantity of machines. My overall margin on spare parts was over 65% gross, while some products (especially the price protected ones for specialized tech pieces; think sensors from SICK GMBH) were over a 300% markup. All of this and they would gladly expedite anything if it meant keeping the line up.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fiat Chrysler ( FCAU ) accused of cheating emissions by the US EPA. Stock dropped >17% at its worst, but it's climbing back.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Blinky2099 posted:

Fiat Chrysler ( FCAU ) accused of cheating emissions by the US EPA. Stock dropped >17% at its worst, but it's climbing back.

In 8 days we won't have an EPA anymore. Buy buy buy!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
UNBRIDLED CAPITALISM AHOY!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

VW execs are facing criminal charges over that, I wonder what's gonna happen with Fiat/Chrysler.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

VW execs are facing criminal charges over that, I wonder what's gonna happen with Fiat/Chrysler.

An in depth investigation, a fine, maybe some kind of restrictions or oversight and then back to business as usual.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: nevermind I don't know enough about the trump administration and possible punishments and all that

it could be a really wide range from "they actually aren't guilty whatsoever" to massive fines/imprisonment

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

Ya snuck this one in there, but this is pretty spot on. I've seen similar situations in aerospace where I could have basically held a company ransom with the right spare parts.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Trip report:

Worst trade of the past year: buying FSLR @ 43.30, 39.10 & 37.79 (40.06 avg). Selling @ 33.58
Best trade of the past year: buying STRP @ 17.16. Selling 40% @ 34.12 and the rest today @ 51.00. :fap:

Now that I'm out of STRP it'll surely climb to $100-200 in the coming months.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

paternity suitor posted:

Ya snuck this one in there, but this is pretty spot on. I've seen similar situations in aerospace where I could have basically held a company ransom with the right spare parts.

So what type of parts should I buy and leave in storage?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Circuit board modules that are super specific to the application. Say you picked up some kind of CNC machine as scrap, first priority would be anything in the control cabinet bearing the name of the company that made the machine instead of a company that made electronics.

Anything with a manufacturer that went out of business

Stuff with firmware. A microchip in any kind of socket that has a paper label stuck on most likely carries some sort of software that will be impossible to replace after enough time even if the company is still open and the individual guy who wrote it still works there

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Paul Proteus posted:

I can definitely attest to the latter part of this quote. I ran the purchasing and spare parts department for a medium sized automation company and I can't tell you how many times I had parts couriered to end users. Even with providing them recommended spare parts lists, consignment inventories, etc. they still would often run out due to miss-management. This wasn't with companies using a machine or two either, but large multinationals with a large quantity of machines. My overall margin on spare parts was over 65% gross, while some products (especially the price protected ones for specialized tech pieces; think sensors from SICK GMBH) were over a 300% markup. All of this and they would gladly expedite anything if it meant keeping the line up.

Oh god maintenance guys spazzing out about P/N matching sensors especially drives me nuts. Our spares dept stocks something like four dozen different models of M12 inductive prox sensors without understanding almost nothing matters except the range spec. Yeah it has 3 pins, normally open, takes 24v? It'll work dude.

Back on topic, this is analogous to finding someone not just willing but demanding to pay a 500% premium for FUSEX over VFINX

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 13, 2017

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Take ten thousand monkeys and have them all make random picks five times a day. After five years, you'll have a bell curve of performance. One tail of that bell curve will be massively outperforming the market, and the other tail massively underperforming. Were the monkeys that did great successfully picking stocks? No, they were just lucky. The more monkeys you have in total, the more lucky monkeys you'll have in five years. The longer you stretch out your experiment, the fewer monkeys stay lucky, but if you have enough monkeys, there will always be a few lucky ones out front.

The way to distinguish if the monkeys are genius stock pickers or just lucky is to find a bunch of lucky monkeys from this year, and then see how those specific monkeys do over the next few years. If their performance again resembles a bell curve, then they're just lucky. If most or all of those monkeys continue to outperform - that is, the curve is heavily weighted towards success - then they're geniuses.

There's nothing wrong with being lucky if it drives results ~

We live in a hella irrational universe, after all

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

Already touched on but anything by a manufacturer that's out of business, or anything that's discontinued. Sometimes it's because a company got bought out and the new company decides to discontinue, sometimes even a popular part can be unprofitable so they just discontinue it. Sometimes a popular part gets used for so long that the underlying process is discontinued. Companies are alerted to all of this for high rel parts by the way, but companies are stupid and don't listen to their parts engineers screaming to make "life time" buys. And sometimes lifetime buys don't last, well, a life time.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What do you all think of individual country ETFs, as a concept?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

goose willis posted:

Why not just do FOREX

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh, goodness! Going hard in the paint are we?

Was I supposed to huff it or drink it?

Because I probably need to do whichever the one I didn't do was to forget about all the money that just disappeared after that press event.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

Already touched on but anything by a manufacturer that's out of business, or anything that's discontinued. Sometimes it's because a company got bought out and the new company decides to discontinue, sometimes even a popular part can be unprofitable so they just discontinue it. Sometimes a popular part gets used for so long that the underlying process is discontinued. Companies are alerted to all of this for high rel parts by the way, but companies are stupid and don't listen to their parts engineers screaming to make "life time" buys. And sometimes lifetime buys don't last, well, a life time.

And sometimes they scrap half a million dollars of NIB robot parts the week before christmas because inventory taxes. (Not bitter)

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leperflesh posted:

Why not just do FOREX
because holding United States dollars is typically considered worse than holding United States stocks, for one

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

goose willis posted:

I personally have not invested in them, but I've considered it in the past. I see it as no different than investing in an emerging market fund, or an MSCI fund, etc. Just more focused. What country are you eying up? If I had to pick a move in that regard, I think I would short Canada.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Investing (seriously) in weed: http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/01/12/marijuana-investments-wall-street-conference/71202/

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

leper khan posted:

Was I supposed to huff it or drink it?

Because I probably need to do whichever the one I didn't do was to forget about all the money that just disappeared after that press event.

Yeah I think I would have rather had the $300. Or maybe WF instead.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I bought some IIPR last month based on the intial announced terms of the sale-leaseback they were executing in New York that has subsequently closed. It's a risky investment, but the pricing on their greenhouse deal was something that I liked, plus the management fees they collect on the 3rd party properties they manage are pretty attractive and they have a first mover advantage in the space.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

loving lol FSLR

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Leperflesh posted:

Take ten thousand monkeys and have them all make random picks five times a day. After five years, you'll have a bell curve of performance. One tail of that bell curve will be massively outperforming the market, and the other tail massively underperforming. Were the monkeys that did great successfully picking stocks? No, they were just lucky. The more monkeys you have in total, the more lucky monkeys you'll have in five years. The longer you stretch out your experiment, the fewer monkeys stay lucky, but if you have enough monkeys, there will always be a few lucky ones out front.

The way to distinguish if the monkeys are genius stock pickers or just lucky is to find a bunch of lucky monkeys from this year, and then see how those specific monkeys do over the next few years. If their performance again resembles a bell curve, then they're just lucky. If most or all of those monkeys continue to outperform - that is, the curve is heavily weighted towards success - then they're geniuses.

Ansatz that lies behind bell curve phenomena is independence and identical distribution. Would you say in plain English that the performance of the stock market today has nothing to do with the performance of the stock market tomorrow? What about the stock market performance of 2008? Because that is what independence says. Would you say in plain English that there is no information in the stock market and that the stock market doesn't process information? Because that's what a Gaussian assumption says. You cannot use Gaussians for learning systems.

Mandelbrot noted stock market performance followed Pareto distribution: this is one of the only worthwhile parts of Taleb's books, his noting of that fact. You can't have expectations about monkey performance, Pareto distribution doesn't work that way (go read the wikipedia, goggle at that "\infty" for expectation...). Existence and Nature hate our guts in this precise manner

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

curufinor posted:

Ansatz that lies behind bell curve phenomena is independence and identical distribution. Would you say in plain English that the performance of the stock market today has nothing to do with the performance of the stock market tomorrow? What about the stock market performance of 2008? Because that is what independence says. Would you say in plain English that there is no information in the stock market and that the stock market doesn't process information? Because that's what a Gaussian assumption says. You cannot use Gaussians for learning systems.

Mandelbrot noted stock market performance followed Pareto distribution: this is one of the only worthwhile parts of Taleb's books, his noting of that fact. You can't have expectations about monkey performance, Pareto distribution doesn't work that way (go read the wikipedia, goggle at that "\infty" for expectation...). Existence and Nature hate our guts in this precise manner

The events that occur on the price of stocks in the market do not follow a Gaussian distribution.

However, it's very likely that a random sample of monkeys randomly picking stocks to buy and sell at random times will have outcomes within a Gaussian distribution, and that if you picked the cohort exceeding median performance by two standard deviations and ran more trials with them, that they could not reproduce their first results that put them ahead of the curve.

Which was the entire point of Leperflesh's post.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

So, apart from my retirement account I've moved to a good deal of cash and have hedged 90% of my speculative positions (by essentially turning them into calls).

I really don't know what's going to happen but the mood seems wildly over-optimistic right now. I don't mind missing out on some potential gains to protect against a possible plunge.

I'm most bullish about US cash-rich tech companies.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Agronox posted:

I really don't know what's going to happen but the mood seems wildly over-optimistic right now. I don't mind missing out on some potential gains to protect against a possible plunge.

I agree with this, I am about 50% stocks now and have been debating going down to 40% for the next year or two and/or buying puts, but options always seem to have so much premium i hate buying them. People really do seem to feel that king cheeto is going to be great, but all I see is automation continuing to kill jobs particularly in driving and trucking, taxes for anyone making up to 250k staying basically the same (based on Trump's plan on his website), and government programs getting killed or looted for profit.

I don't really know where to invest instead though. Maybe I'll just buy some Berkshire stock later this year.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Trash Trick posted:

loving lol FSLR
Up 2.5%, doesn't seem crazy :confused:

Meanwhile, AMD and NVDA continue to gently caress me in a very uncomfortable place.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I just look at NVDA at the beginning of this year where it had been essentially "flat" for 4 years (within 100% of its price) and then all of a sudden it is trading at 5-10x that historical baseline and think "man, I never could have seen that coming" which makes me pretty unwilling to speculate on stock with significant amounts of money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The events that occur on the price of stocks in the market do not follow a Gaussian distribution.

However, it's very likely that a random sample of monkeys randomly picking stocks to buy and sell at random times will have outcomes within a Gaussian distribution, and that if you picked the cohort exceeding median performance by two standard deviations and ran more trials with them, that they could not reproduce their first results that put them ahead of the curve.

Which was the entire point of Leperflesh's post.

Thanks, yeah. I did not intend to make any assertions about the randomness or nonrandomness of the market itself; the discussion is about determining whether the excellent results of a small number of human stock-pickers ought to be attributed to their skill, or to their luck. There is a strong tendency to look at the stock pickers on the far end of the successful tail of the distribution and presume - without sufficient evidence - that they are skillful. (Moridin920 in particular expressed incredulity that even someone showing consistent success for 20 or 30 or more years straight, might merely be lucky.)

Based on that determination of skill, posters in this thread are asserting that this means they, too, can be skillful; at the very least, skillfullness must be possible, if there are people that are doing it.

I am unconvinced. I have never seen convincing evidence of skillfullness vs. luck, and - especially when you also take into account the survivor effect - actually only see a lot of evidence for luck. To the extent that skillfullness is possible, I suspect it is exceedingly rare, and that the conclusion the average SA Goon should reach given all of the above is that their dabbling in the stock market is almost always going to have luck-based outcomes rather than skill-based outcomes.

One amusing result of that conclusion is that if you're just gambling anyway, you might as well apply whatever cockamamie choosing thesis you feel like, it doesn't matter. If I pick the numbers 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 for my lotto ticket, I'm no more or less likely to win than you are picking six random numbers.

That is incorrect, of course, because while evidence of stock-picking skill is scant, there is plentiful evidence of the opposite: a greater than even number of stock-pickers appear to underperform. In other words, outperforming on a risk-adjusted bases is likely entirely due to luck, but you can still, given effort, cause yourself to underperform through anti-skill. Put more simply, you can clearly throw away all your money like an idiot, and luck won't bail you out most of the time.

So: my over-arching stock-picking philosophy is that if you are going to play the market, you are gambling, but you still have to pay attention and work hard, just to make sure your chances are roughly even. If you play the stock market without any understanding or knowledge of what you're doing, use faulty reasoning, etc. your odds of success plunge well below that of a coin-flipper. So a thread like this, to the extent it attempts to give advice, is still very worthwhile, especially if the up-front first piece of advice is "lol don't buy stocks, it's gambling" but that is followed on by a bunch of good well-founded instruction and advice on how not to rapidly and fantastically fail at stock-based gambling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Maslow's hierarchy of stock picking.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 13, 2017