Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
ed BALLS
shadow chancellor 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

hillary clinton had more money than our lord god jesus h. christ of nazareth but she still had to charge $20 for a fuckin yard sign

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

I would pay up to $50 for an ED balls yard sign

:same:

Serf posted:

hillary clinton had more money than our lord god jesus h. christ of nazareth but she still had to charge $20 for a fuckin yard sign

Also this. Like, the base idea of such a rich campaign being penny pinchers with loving SIGNS is baffling.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Serf posted:

i tried to buy a clinton yard sign but it cost $20 and ain't nobody got that kinda money

What's the point of all these free trade deals with China if you can't get cheap yard signs?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tatum Girlparts posted:

no, but they, ya know, keep the candidate's name in people's minds. Yard signs are effective in creating a social group, you just need a few in an area for it to look like a (that candidate) area. They also, ya know, let the campaign interact with people really easily, and get them on, say, a mailing/phone list, and provide at least a glimpse at where people are standing when canvasing areas and all.

yes i am sure hillary clinton desperately needed to keep her name in people's minds. people had no idea who she was. and this was in no way just a retread of complaints from every presidential race ever.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

Yeah when I saw you had to pay for a loving campaign sign I said gently caress it as far as getting any Democrat supporting poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Concerned Citizen posted:

yes i am sure hillary clinton desperately needed to keep her name in people's minds. people had no idea who she was. and this was in no way just a retread of complaints from every presidential race ever.

how does someone in this business not know the basic concept of signs being a super easy foot in the door for a campaign. They don't literally win elections on their own but they're useful tools and maybe something you should have a stock of just in case.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Matt Yglesias is obsessing over the idea of Matt Damon running in 2020 and sadly if the field is a bunch of Cory Booker types I'd probably vote for him.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/819592443414937600

Serf
May 5, 2011

yard signs are useful for trolling your neighbors and for displaying visible, open support for your candidate and they shouldn't cost money

gently caress they should be paying us

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
this isn't so much 'if only she had signs she would have won' as it is 'the fact that she had no signs in many areas, even as campaign areas were asking for them, is a fantastic illustration of her campaign's core issues'

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

if Clinton ever wants a voice again in politics she should release a video of her and Bill smashing whatever computer Mook's lovely computer model was on, I assume an old LISA given their track record.

die motherfuckers die motherfuckers still fool

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
to be clearer, I don't think if she had x more signs she would have won, but I do think she lost because she ran a campaign that told local offices 'no, you don't need signs, signs don't work' when they asked for signs because people wanted them.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tatum Girlparts posted:

how does someone in this business not know the basic concept of signs being a super easy foot in the door for a campaign. They don't literally win elections on their own but they're useful tools and maybe something you should have a stock of just in case.

yard signs are loving useless. everyone in "this business" hates yard signs, except for candidates and dumb people. campaigns often invest in yard signs solely to get people like you to shut the gently caress up about yard signs.

1. they are somewhat useful for getting people in the door, but most people who come to get one are either already in the system or absolutely adamantly refuse to do anything other than display a sign.
2. they're expensive, and cost a lot of money to ship
3. they constantly get stolen
4. people demand they get delivered to their home because they feel entitled to signs
5. they do nothing. they don't increase turnout. they don't increase support levels. all they do is waste time. they're the vanity plate of political campaigns.

i fondly recall selling obama yard signs for $15 in a field office in 2012, so this is all nothing new.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Jan 12, 2017

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Matt Yglesias is obsessing over the idea of Matt Damon running in 2020 and sadly if the field is a bunch of Cory Booker types I'd probably vote for him.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/819592443414937600

I'm gonna make the same reference I did last time someone suggested this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOaCD_JNgkA

We'd look like a bunch of Johnny-come-latelies, bragging on our own celebrity candidate, don't matter how shouty

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

MaxxBot posted:

why the gently caress not, if republicans can get an idiot clown with a piss fetish elected than surely the democrats can get some worthless hollywood prettyman in office as well

i mean poo poo that's basically ronald reagan

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
yard signs are good

if somebody sees that a neighbor supports Hillary, they might ask why at a barbecue or something.

not everybody gets their opinions and social interaction from online

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

yard signs are loving useless. everyone in "this business" hates yard signs, except for candidates and dumb people. campaigns often invest in yard signs solely to get people like you to shut the gently caress up about yard signs.

1. they are somewhat useful for getting people in the door, but most people who come to get one are either already in the system or absolutely adamantly refuse to do anything other than display a sign.
2. they're expensive, and cost a lot of money to ship
3. they constantly get stolen
4. people demand they get delivered to their home because they feel entitled to signs
5. they do nothing. they don't increase turnout. they don't increase support levels. all they do is waste time. they're the vanity plate of political campaigns.

i fondly recall selling obama yard signs for $15 in a field office in 2012, so this is all nothing new.

You need the votes of the dumb people too though. How many dumb people do you think voted for Trump?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I'd vote for Matt Damon.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

fits my needs posted:

You need the votes of the dumb people too though. How many dumb people do you think voted for Trump?

they're dumb people who already support us, so that doesn't help

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

they're dumb people who already support us, so that doesn't help

What if they just don't turn out to vote even though they support you because the dumbasses at the local office are too cheap to hand out lawn signs?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GalacticAcid posted:

yard signs are good

if somebody sees that a neighbor supports Hillary, they might ask why at a barbecue or something.

not everybody gets their opinions and social interaction from online

dropping mid 6 figures on yard signs and wasting thousands of hours assembling and distributing signs definitely seems worthwhile because at a theoretical barbeque someone might ask why they support hillary

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

bring back rigged yard signs

Booby trapped Trump signs own.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i thought it was memes that cost elections

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

fits my needs posted:

What if they just don't turn out to vote even though they support you because the dumbasses at the local office are too cheap to hand out lawn signs?

this has never happened

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Signs build solidarity and give a sense of investment in the campaign and force people to defend their positions to the ppl they interact with irl. They're good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think literally the only yard signs I ever saw in Minneapolis were for Gary Johnson.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dropping mid 6 figures on yard signs and wasting thousands of hours assembling and distributing signs definitely seems worthwhile because at a theoretical barbeque someone might ask why they support hillary

gotv expert right here

docbeard posted:

I think literally the only yard signs I ever saw in Minneapolis were for Gary Johnson.

i saw tons and tons of trump signs in georgia. not a single clinton one

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

GalacticAcid posted:

in all likelihood a bernie sanders presidency would have also adhered to neoliberal orthodoxy as reformist social democratic governments have the world over since Mitterand
In all likelihood the candidate who most put the power of the people into the people's hands encouraging them to change the country from the ground up despite if we won or not, would continue the same top down management that is the status quo it advertises to assist in dismantling

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The largest yard sign I have ever seen was the 2008 Ron Paul sign taking up the entirety of a Providence head shop's front window in 2010

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
there are no yards where i live so i see bumper stickers, does this count

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

this has never happened

Oh, ok. I guess Hillary is President then and we aren't hearing about the sexual fetishes of our pissbaby president?

Oh wait, you're wrong lmao :rznv:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

fits my needs posted:

Oh, ok. I guess Hillary is President then and we aren't hearing about the sexual fetishes of our pissbaby president?

Oh wait, you're wrong lmao :rznv:

yes clearly hillary lost due to yard signs

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
http://i.imgur.com/ZbE4WNJ.gifv

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dropping 6 figures on yard signs would have been a better use of resources than Robby Mook's gaming rig.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

yard signs are the same as memes except they cost infinite more time and money, they add literally nothing.They only exist because its easier for campaign staff to just buy them than deal with the constant whining from people think they matter (they don't). If campaigns want to sell them fine whatever but actually paying for yard signs is lighting money on fire

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yes clearly hillary lost due to yard signs

yet again, she didn't lose because of lawn signs, but she did lose because her campaign was the kind of campaign who literally told local branches who told them people wanted signs 'nah, the computer says signs don't work, no signs tell them to buy it online'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Dropping 6 figures on yard signs would have been a better use of resources than Robby Mook's gaming rig.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

docbeard posted:

Minneapolis people must be weird with signs, in my neighborhood there are multiple "Stop Scott Walker" signs.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Sentient Yard Sign 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yet again, she didn't lose because of lawn signs, but she did lose because her campaign was the kind of campaign who literally told local branches who told them people wanted signs 'nah, the computer says signs don't work, no signs tell them to buy it online'.

yeah except the campaign was right, so good work on campaign's part for turning down stupid requests from idiots.

• Locked thread