Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

vodkat posted:

A good friends brother, who is probably the best programmer I have ever met, currently works for amazon and he seems to find it ok, but he works for their bluesky/skynet research lab or something, so your millage may vary considerably.

yeah, one of my best friends growing up seems to like working there because he's been there for years, and he even brought his dad on as an engineer as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
an old coworker recently joined the alexa team and seems to like it. from what I hear it depends a lot on what division you're in so there's a lot of variance of experiences

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
a good barometer for a team at amazon (i'm not including the generic questions you should ask every job) might be asking something like

* what is your infrastructure like, and how much of it is on public aws? how much do you plan to move to public aws in the next 6-12 months?
* how frequent is your ops rotation? how frequent are high severity events for you team?

w/ that last question, you also need to think about how on the critical path you want to be. there's a big difference between working on parts of EC2 and working on a bunch of widgets on amazon.com in terms of

* what kind of infrastructure you own
* what kind of problems you focus on
* what kind of solutions you end up building
* how big an issue it is when you're service has issues

we also have the exact opposite issue of google wherein we almost never kill of anything ever while still needing an owner; even aws still offers m1s and simpledb if you're a legacy customer or ask nicecly. so asking about the age of current services/how much new work is done vs. maintenance is always a good thing.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Maximo Roboto posted:

Glassdoor, LinkedIn Careers, Stack Overflow Jobs. Hacker News Who's Hiring? pages but it seems like the listings are heavily int'l and in American non-tech cities these days

SO is the one I will unequivocally recommend every time. Most of the companies on there will be smaller but there's usually a number of good options depending on what sort of position/location you're looking for and they make remote opportunities very clear. HN has a ton of companies posting now but after you've seen a few months' worth of threads you'll start to notice that a very large number of the same companies will post the same positions month in and month out, meaning they're not hiring and trying to keep up appearances or maybe they're just expecting too much because it's the HN crowd and they must all be 100x developers.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

HN who's his hiring + the yc alumni job posts are all pretty good. Weworkremotely is good for remote.

No job sites have zero poo poo-tier jobs tho, so do your homework. No pun intended. :riker:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wtf when did we start allowing nazifurs in teh 'pos

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

triple sulk posted:

SO is the one I will unequivocally recommend every time. Most of the companies on there will be smaller but there's usually a number of good options depending on what sort of position/location you're looking for and they make remote opportunities very clear. HN has a ton of companies posting now but after you've seen a few months' worth of threads you'll start to notice that a very large number of the same companies will post the same positions month in and month out, meaning they're not hiring and trying to keep up appearances or maybe they're just expecting too much because it's the HN crowd and they must all be 100x developers.

alternatively they are hiring and they nobody is willing to take the job

i remember when zerocater had jobs posts for VP of engineering lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

HN who's his hiring + the yc alumni job posts are all pretty good. Weworkremotely is good for remote.

No job sites have zero poo poo-tier jobs tho, so do your homework. No pun intended. :riker:

A lot of the alumni posts are rehashes as well that are just more publicly visible. WeWorkRemotely is okay but most of the dev jobs are still Ruby/JS/PHP the last I was aware and SO is way better now on remote listings.

FamDav posted:

alternatively they are hiring and they nobody is willing to take the job

i remember when zerocater had jobs posts for VP of engineering lol

This too is possible if not likely

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i just got a resume from someone who lists "anime studio" amongst the programming languages that they know

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Dr. Honked posted:

i just got a resume from someone who lists "anime studio" amongst the programming languages that they know

I'm not going to google that from work

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anime studio isn't even for making anime, they just called it that because the same company published manga studio, which wasn't even originally called manga studio, they just called it that because it's a drawing program from japan

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
*nods condescendingly* uh huh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if I see p-langs on a resume it goes straight into the trash

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

is there any way to get paid as much if not more than a dev, but not be a tech. generally the alternate suggestions are

* engineering management
* product management
* project management
* sales engineering
* technical writer
* recruiter

how do you even become a PM without going to school for it first

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just wing it

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

GameCube posted:

anime studio isn't even for making anime, they just called it that because the same company published manga studio, which wasn't even originally called manga studio, they just called it that because it's a drawing program from japan

it's actually on version number 200, it just has a gui that looks like a pre-release beta

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender

BONGHITZ posted:

just wing it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

is there any way to get paid as much if not more than a dev, but not be a tech. generally the alternate suggestions are

* engineering management
* product management
* project management
* sales engineering
* technical writer
* recruiter

pm is about convincing the parties involved that your planning is right. this can be by bringing evidence to back your timelines based on resources and past performance, or it could be lying though your teeth in the most convincing manner until you get put on a different project.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

* engineering management
* product management
* project management
* sales engineering
* technical writer
* recruiter

there's school for PMs?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender
the bar is so low to be a good pm that as long as you can bullshit management and get along with tech people you're probably better than 70% of pms. I guess the problem there though is getting your foot in the door. the pms I worked with at my last company were all initially techy people in the company (one was qa, one was data science)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Maximo Roboto posted:

* engineering management
* product management
* project management
* sales engineering
* technical writer
* recruiter

PM School, now offering courses in jira janitoring, phone dialing and buck passing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

you can just say "business analyst," a data scientist is just an analyst that doesn't use excel for windows

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most product managers have mbas since "doing budget arithmetic" can only be taught for 50,000/year

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

PM School, now offering courses in jira janitoring, phone dialing and buck passing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Management_Professional

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Maximo Roboto posted:

* technical writer
* recruiter

the others in the list pay well but lol @ these

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

also generally to be a sales engineer you need to be technically literate enough to bullshit devs occasionally so I wouldn't go so far as to call it non-technical

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Dr. Honked posted:

please dont discuss my resume in public

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

this + https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITIL will make you senior-dev-level-bucks

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

lol at needing 4500-7500 hours of pm work to be a pmp

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

PCjr sidecar posted:

pmpin ain't easy but it's necessary

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

looks like they sell a different exam if you have less experience

why bother specifying that you need a high school diploma though?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pmp is in many places a red flag that that person should not be allowed to pm

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I worked with a PMP and he was a colossal rear end in a top hat so now I assume they all are

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ADINSX posted:

I worked with a PMP and he was a colossal rear end in a top hat so now I assume they all are

probably a pretty safe bet

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

the others in the list pay well but lol @ these

ya. when i was hired as a technical writer i got 42k a year, and that's considered a lot for a technical writer as usually they're freelance with all the fuckery that comes with that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
today's recruiter nonsense:

"which phone number would you prefer I leverage for this call?"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Management posted:

today's recruiter nonsense:

"which phone number would you prefer I leverage for this call?"

please utilize my cloud based google voice number at +555.5555

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Maximo Roboto posted:

* engineering management
* product management
* project management
* sales engineering
* technical writer
* recruiter

i became a product manager by doing qa and becoming friends with some of the pms and used that to switch departments. i went to music school. try getting a music degree, op.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender

fart simpson posted:

i became a product manager by doing qa and becoming friends with some of the pms and used that to switch departments. i went to music school. try getting a music degree, op.

agreed, music is cool + good

• Locked thread