Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I liked some of the Age mobile suits too. Gundam Legilis was a neat mix of the two visual styles.

I think the Adele is a pretty solid grunt. Nice enough design for massing up to get slaughtered, but with enough room for detail to make ace customs in side story manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
AGE has a ton of really good MS designs, and also a neat artstyle, and that's all it has going for it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

AGE has a ton of really good MS designs, and also a neat artstyle, and that's all it has going for it.

It does have Don Boyage

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

generation 2 has some great designs, shame their wasted on a series that has probably the worst fight choreography of the entire franchise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What exactly constitutes "good" fight choreography in Gundam anyways? Fights usually result in either desperate one sided beatdowns with zero finesse, or overlong laser light shows where two suits keyframe across the screen while the galaxy explodes behind them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

What exactly constitutes "good" fight choreography in Gundam anyways? Fights usually result in either desperate one sided beatdowns with zero finesse, or overlong laser light shows where two suits keyframe across the screen while the galaxy explodes behind them.

Absolute slugging matches, where the victor only won because their Mobile Suit fell apart after the other guy. (See: Build Fighters)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Absolute slugging matches, where the victor only won because their Mobile Suit fell apart after the other guy. (See: Build Fighters)

Or the end of Thunderbolt

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Generally a good fight in gundam has 3 parts for me:

Interesting location/premise
Interesting characters fighting
Actual animation

AGE has none of these with the best fight in the whole show probably being Kio vs. Captain Ash or Kio vs. the not black tri stars because they at least happen in locations that play some part on the fight. Most fights in age take place in a editors vacuum where you shoot at something off screen then cut to target getting shot at.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Generally a good back and forth, one pilot does something, the other reacts to it etc. A using something to distract and misdirect the pilot. Using the environment to help you win the battle. Build Fighters is full of stuff like this. Amuro and Char's final fight also comes to mind.

Bad mech fights are usually just one suit tanking the other or effortlessly curb stomping. Age just had really boring stuff with mobile suits just standing there and getting blown up.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I really like the Gundam vs. the Zock in original MSG cause they build up this giant almost MA suit that has beam cannons all over it and Amuro shoots it right in the cockpit in about 25 seconds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A good fight is one that uses strong visual design to communicate the themes and ideas of the fight. This doesn't necessarily mean an equal fight (Amuro wrecking the Rick Doms, for example, I would call a good fight because of how it is shot and presented) but a fight that properly communicates a good solid tone.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One of my favorite action bits in 0079 is the pov shot of Amuro lining up a Zaku in his laser's sights, with the only audio being the sound of his heavy breathing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the gouf custom fight but when I think about it, outside of the gouf ganking three guntanks and two ground gundams in record time, there isn't much to the ez8 engagement. Arm tear and then a cockpit slice.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
is there any news of when that new ps4 gundam verses game is coming out other then "sometime 2017"?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Not as yet, only news has been about the new mechanics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Victory and G-Reco have amazing fight choreography. So does the first Build Fighter.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of Gundam VS...

https://twitter.com/E4Ho3/status/819113478967345154

So... Graceful... :cry:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi I bought the 4k BD of Thunderbolt off Ebay for way too much money was this a mistake? Is Thunderbolt any good?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thunderbolt is good

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Hi I bought the 4k BD of Thunderbolt off Ebay for way too much money was this a mistake? Is Thunderbolt any good?

It has good parts and bad parts. Definitely looks good though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

A good fight is one that uses strong visual design to communicate the themes and ideas of the fight. This doesn't necessarily mean an equal fight (Amuro wrecking the Rick Doms, for example, I would call a good fight because of how it is shot and presented) but a fight that properly communicates a good solid tone.

The Build Strike's RG Build Knuckle and the Build Burning's various flavours of Jigen Haoh Ryu punch are a good comparison. The Build Knuckle actually works as an interesting finale, because it has some very harsh limits to get it going (suck up Particles, don't lose the goddamn shield), and the opponents generally know it's coming. You still get a good hard fight watching Sei and Reiji trying to get a solid opening to land the Knuckle.

Where as Sekai generally just screamed his magic words and won the match in one hit :effort:. (I say 'generally' because I'm fully willing to admit there's one or two fights where it actually caps off pretty well, or at least has some decent animation).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

you did not make a mistake

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Like a butterfly in flight.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Good fight choreography clearly communicates what's happening, with a clear sense of where the combatants are and what they're doing at all times (stock footage spam can really hurt this, breaking the flow of a fight - the classic example is Kira firing off all of the Strike Freedom's guns horizontally, while the enemy reaction cut shows them being hit from multiple angles).

It conveys both tone (desperate brawl, cautious sounding-out, silly slapfight) and the combatants' personalities - what emotions they're feeling in this particular fight as well as their general fighting style (if you can show clear differences in skill, fight priorities - protect my friends, disable rather than kill, take them down through any means necessary - et cetera, that's a good thing). So if a calm, clinical fighter loses their poo poo and starts going after the enemy like a wild beast, successfully portraying that, rather than just having them fight the same way with a lot of cuts to them yelling in their cockpit, is good choreography. A nice example is when Mikazuki in IBO really lets his inner monster out - his fighting style is brutal and merciless but calm and precise, and is consistently portrayed as this, letting us get used to it, so the utter frenzy with which he takes on the Hashmal is incredibly unsettling. On the other hand, Kira's pacifism turning off whenever he encounters something that isn't suit-shaped is an example of bad choreography that makes him look like a hypocrite - they could easily have had him blow off turrets and disable engines rather than straight-up slice ships in half. Similarly, take into account the weapons they use and how that will affect the fight. A guy with a sword needs to get close to a guy with a gun, and may need to get creative to do so, while a guy with a small, fast weapon going up against a big, slow weapon may need to play the long, cautious game, weakening his opponent and slowing him down yet further so that he can attack safely without getting oneshotted (most of his more effective opponents against Mika in IBO) or he may want to overwhelm his foe with a storm of attacks so he can't get a decent swing in (Mika versus Kudal in the Gusion). A fight is interplay, not just two dudes sitting opposite each other and taking turns to attack.

It also conveys environment, making it clear that the fight is happening in a specific place rather than an empty void. There are bits of cover, different planes of elevation, and obstacles and impediments for the fighters. Rain makes the ground slippery. Indoor fights have walls for the fighters to use or get trapped against. Fighting uphill puts you at a disadvantage, and makes you look like the smaller, weaker party (because fights in fiction aren't just literal recountings of events, but ways to visually convey a tone or message). Even battles in air and space have environmental elements to them. Aerial combat has not only cloud cover and sudden obstacles reaching up from the ground (the archetypal canyon chase scene), but also the constant advantages and perils of gravity. Tomino is meticulous about this, constantly paying attention to fighters' efforts to gain altitude and jockey for position. Space has not only debris and other obstacles (which will mount up as the battle progresses - think about how many Gundam fight scenes involve people battling on and around wrecked ships), but also the disorienting effects of an environment with no 'up', no cover, and no friction, plus an utter hostility to human life. This is, again, Tomino's field of expertise, and if he does a space battle, there will almost certainly be some environmental element to it, either natural or artificial.

Finally, you need your fight scene to be interesting. All I mentioned above will help with that, but there are other elements as well. Fights where the combatants use surprising, creative tactics are good. Artwork (camera angles, stretch and bounce of animation models) that work alongside and emphasise the motion of a fight are good. Appropriate sound design is good. When one dude smacks another dude with a rocket-powered hammer with a head the size of a building, make the audience feel it. This is why anime action shows often use stock footage for attacks - it's a single complex, detailed cut that looks and feels fearsome, and you can use it over and over rather than breaking your animators' brains and wrists as they figure out how to make the big moves always look that good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGp9P6QvMjY

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The only way to beat it is with a really big rolled up newspaper.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh my god the twist in Unicorn is that the series has been National Treasure all along but instead of a map the declaration of independence has a secret paragraph.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone have some really nice HQ gundam wallpaper? I'm specifically looking for anything by Yasuhiko (like Origin work) or screens from Unicorn. I remember having a couple good ones from a few years ago, but I have a new pc and can't remember where I found them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oh, wait you said YasuHIKO. My mistake. (I'd kill for a Moriki picture that's high res enough for a wallpaper :smith:)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh my god the twist in Unicorn is that the series has been National Treasure all along but instead of a map the declaration of independence has a secret paragraph.

It really is stupid, isn't it?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arcsquad12 posted:

It really is stupid, isn't it?

I'm really kinda mixed on it, like I can buy into it being as important as all the characters say it is, so I don't take issue with the reveal just being a bunch of words. But at the same time the fact they managed to cover it up and the paragraph is "if there is a new race of space people they get to be in the goverment" and not just "people in space get rights too" is ridiculous.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

the paragraph is "if there is a new race of space people they get to be in the goverment" and not just "people in space get rights too" is ridiculous.

The actual text is dumb and could have been way better this way, but the actual idea of Laplace's Box being political and not just another superweapon was cool.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lemon-Lime posted:

The actual text is dumb and could have been way better this way, but the actual idea of Laplace's Box being political and not just another superweapon was cool.

Yeah, totally agree. I get why they went with that text, but like that specific text is not needed and I feel kinda actually undermines some of the Zeon Deikun stuff they were trying to connect it with.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
It needed to be text powerful enough to have it matter to the plot but not powerful enough to actually throw post Unicorn series out of continuity.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone have some really nice HQ gundam wallpaper? I'm specifically looking for anything by Yasuhiko (like Origin work) or screens from Unicorn. I remember having a couple good ones from a few years ago, but I have a new pc and can't remember where I found them.

imgur prob compresses these a bit so sorry

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's a shame because all it needed to be was something like "in 50 years, Earth's colonies shall be granted seats in Parliament in proportion to their respective populations" or something, and have someone make an offhand mention about the size of the current Parliament and the total spacenoid population. Suddenly, the Laplace article is no longer mystical nonsense, it's an actual political article that threatens to basically hand control of the Federation over to the spacenoids.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 13, 2017

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Kuvo posted:

imgur prob compresses these a bit so sorry

:swoon: This is so awesome, thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's a shame because all it needed to be was something like "in 50 years, Earth's colonies shall be granted seats in Parliament in proportion to their respective populations" or something, and have someone make an offhand mention about the size of the current Parliament and the total spacenoid population. Suddenly, the Laplace article is no longer mystical nonsense, it's an actual political article that threatens to basically hand control of the Federation over to the spacenoids.

The issue there is that Unicorn isn't really about an actual real tangible threat. It's entirely about symbols and their relevance to society. It's why Mineva Zabi is one of the main characters, a fake Char trading on his imagery is the main character and they spend basically 8/10ths of the series discussing nothing but the symbolism of Zeon/The Federation/Newtypes and how people twist it to their own goals. They could have executed it better but for Laplace Box to make sense it really needs to something that is symbolically powerful, not literally powerful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just wish they would expand on how vapid the symbolism really is, but instead we et a lame boss fight and a magic carpet ride to the end of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just wish they would expand on how vapid the symbolism really is, but instead we et a lame boss fight and a magic carpet ride to the end of the universe.

Eh, they basically do. The ending is literally "this symbol means what we want it to mean, and we can choose to evoke it for our own goals" while the fake Char literally turns into dust once he loses value as a symbol. It's still not particularly well executed but y'know, Unicorn.