Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BigRed0427 posted:

Is anyone else watching Movies with Mikey? I just found him and his stuff is pretty good.

John Wick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3P1ejh9pGs

Star Wars 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVZGUV77aRg&t=600s

Fury Road: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh_eIReMeNw

The episode on The Dark Knight was real good, thanks for linking this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFTmCqq-rYc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I clicked that totally forgetting he was the 'if you think about it the joker was the good guy here' dude, and now I'm real mad you reminded me.

I do like Movies with Mikey though, that was just some CinemaSins level of 'what movie did you watch'.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Haven't finished it yet. It took a while to figure out its mood. It's not what you really expect from a Douglas Adams story, but when I worked out how Landis was doing things I began to enjoy it on its own merits. Dirk could have easily come across as a doctor who ripoff but he is saved by being as equally clueless as everyone around him.

Considering the first book was reworked from an unmade Doctor Who script, that sounds interesting. Although maybe not enough to get me to watch it, since I've been burned by awful Douglas Adams adaptations before.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has anyone here watched Max Landis's adaptation of Dirk Gently on Netflix? I am almost convinced that the crazy man with the dog is supposed to be a reference to Mr. Plinkett from RedLetterMedia due to Max's friendship with them.

I watched it, it is, SHOCKINGLY, pretty decent, I'd recommend giving it a shot even if you're skeptical of landis or douglas adams adaptations

MiddleOne posted:

Taste in music like all art is inherently subjective, you're being a snob.

you're in a thread about criticism dude gently caress outta here with this poo poo

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

watho posted:

Do people aside from 21 pilots fans actually do it?

Todd used it in his Top worst videos. Last time I saw it being used this much was when I was a tween scene kid and even back then it made me cringe. It has just had this weird revival, and I know that it probably looks like a cool O to the rest of the world, but it looks really dumb you guys.

Imagine, when someone is pretending to be really stupid while saying "Duuuh" while flayling their hands. That's what that letter sounds like.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I did some digging and came across a reddit thread. Other people seem to think the old man is based off of plinkett as well. Max Landis responded in the comments stating "everything is connected."

So yeah, Harry S Plinkett inspired a TV show character.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking around and saw that Rap Critic and Mues do a podcast called Goin' Off. Anyone here listen to that?

Meh. Mues isn't all that pleasant to listen to but Rap Critic seems like a cool enough dude. I stopped listening after an episode where they talked about Macklemore's "Same Love". "People are angry because he is a straight dude rapping about gay stuff"
The real criticism didn't have much to do with him at all. People were angry that there were plenty of great LGBT rappers out there but the greater population just wanted a nice pretty song that wasn't tooo rough or called out tooo many people or made any one feel tooo bad. It's one of those very "pretty, pretty nice, nice" moments that are happening now with Gay rights stuff. Yeah we feel super bad about how you were treated. Can we not talk abut that? Can we talk about how we are all, like totally all the same. #Idonotseecolororkind!?
It's (their podcast, and "Same Love")very surface level, "I didn't read up on this but it was kind of this, and here is how I feel about it."

MiddleOne posted:

Taste in music like all art is inherently subjective, you're being a snob.

Nah dude. There is a difference between being into stuff and proclaiming something as profound and new. Imagine a teenager who just saw "The Boondock Saints"for the first time.

With that said, I do really like Rap Critic. I think he has a really great screen presence and he doesn't seem forced when it comes to jokes, because I think he's just a naturally funny and pleasant guy. I can't wait to see what he does when he totally get's out of the ChannelAwesome feel that's still lingering about him.

Also, he and Lindsay are the only people who actually had me laughing at side gags.

With that said, anyone into queer stuff and rap, listen to Zebra Katz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPbpl35uX8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5By5X6sl_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ-PIeO2PXo

E; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZgN5DXuWIk

And Mykki Blanco

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 12, 2017

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Also Same Love's first verse is astonishingly misbegotten. Like, to an almost satirical degree.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

Also Same Love's first verse is astonishingly misbegotten. Like, to an almost satirical degree.

Same Love contained the line

I told my mom, tears rushing down my face
She's like "Ben you've loved girls since before pre-k, trippin'."

And people somehow decided to hyperfocus on an entirely different line to make fun of

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Every line of the first verse is that bad

Macklemore posted:

When I was in the third grade I thought that I was gay,
'Cause I could draw, my uncle was, and I kept my room straight.
I told my mom, tears rushing down my face
She's like "Ben you've loved girls since before pre-k, trippin'."
Yeah, I guess she had a point, didn't she?
Bunch of stereotypes all in my head.
I remember doing the math like, "Yeah, I'm good at little league."
A preconceived idea of what it all meant
For those that liked the same sex
Had the characteristics
The right wing conservatives think it's a decision
And you can be cured with some treatment and religion
Man-made rewiring of a predisposition
Playing God, aw nah here we go
America the brave still fears what we don't know
And "God loves all his children" is somehow forgotten
But we paraphrase a book written thirty-five-hundred years ago
I don't know

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

"I love gay people, no homo" - Macklemore

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

At least that song probably inspired The Lonley Island to make Equal Rights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTapd_MHDAU

Edit: No Joke, Popstar was a good movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

Every line of the first verse is that bad

I don't care what's bad, I care what's funny to harp on for what felt like five years

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Another great part of the queer rap movement is Cakes da Killa's newest album Hedonism, which is fuckin fantastic.

There's so much cool queer rap that, yea, some dorky white dude being all 'haha they thought I was gay but nah I like pussy, but hey...equal rights...' being hailed as BASICALLY the only enlightened mind in hip hop was so transparently a race thing that it wasn't funny.

I mean, it was funny because that song loving sucks on so many levels.

But for real if you want some queer rap that actually digs into how it feels to be a queer guy trying to express the anger and pride and lust and shame dualities that define a ton of LGBT people's experiences, along with a genuinely fantastic undertone about how he's afraid of becoming a novelty act if he blows up because that's a genuine fear tons of gay artists have and especially in an industry where people are bending over backwards (ha) to disprove stereotypes tons of 'queer rap' things have just been exercises in tokenism.

But really, this guy is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTwx5c99768

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

You might wanna link a video that's actually available,friend.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Sarcopenia posted:

Todd used it in his Top worst videos. Last time I saw it being used this much was when I was a tween scene kid and even back then it made me cringe. It has just had this weird revival, and I know that it probably looks like a cool O to the rest of the world, but it looks really dumb you guys.

Imagine, when someone is pretending to be really stupid while saying "Duuuh" while flayling their hands. That's what that letter sounds like.

That's something Todd does for his Top 10s for the past few years. He'll base the font off of something from one of the hits of that year. It'll probably show up in the Best 10 video too, but not after that.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

"Gay Rights!"
-Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Honestly, I interpreted the first part of the first verse as Macklemore talking about how he got confused due to masculine stereotypes. Besides, I don't think he meant to come across as saying "no homo", but IDK how he could have clarified his sexual orientation without giving that impression.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
he could have just not, because it doesn't matter, and then if someone asks him in an interview he can be all 'nah man you don't have to be gay to sympathize with gay rights'.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If he didn't clarify, people might post YouTube comments about him tho. Have you seen those?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Does Bruno Mars is gay?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DoctorWhat posted:

Does Bruno Mars is gay?

I mean he keeps askin some dude named Julio to stretch for him so you draw your own conclusions mang.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

he could have just not

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
RLM made a Chinaman joke in their gently caress You Its January video, lets have another 5 page spanning argument about them being racists hack frauds who hate women.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
mmmm, old gently caress you its january was better.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was talking to some people in a chat when one of them told me that if I liked Todd and Rap Critic, then I should check out the third music review show on Channel Awesome, Rocked. I looked it up and it's a series which focuses on rock music. Having a little free time atm, I went to the YouTube channel, listened to one or two album reviews, and I guess it was okay.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Leal posted:

RLM made a Chinaman joke in their gently caress You Its January video, lets have another 5 page spanning argument about them being racists hack frauds who hate women.

I am very excited for new films from Armando Ianucci, James Gray and Edgar Wright in 2017, but I guess it is indeed dark days for franchise movies and nerds who make videos about them for money!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh my god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-c2qnfUNXE

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hbomb getting covered as the goldenone's example of a degenerate white slayed me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MiddleOne posted:

Hbomb getting covered as the goldenone's example of a degenerate white slayed me.

lmao

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Leal posted:

"Ghost in the shell, starring some honky." - Jay Bauman

I liked this video, because ENDLESS TRASH! Yeah, this year looks a little dire for movies.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

PassTheRemote posted:

"Ghost in the shell, starring some honky." - Jay Bauman

I haven't kept up with it for a while but oh god, are they still really just gonna yellowface up Scarlett Johansson or whoever?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Nope. They're just gonna give a white woman a japanese name.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Yardbomb posted:

I haven't kept up with it for a while but oh god, are they still really just gonna yellowface up Scarlett Johansson or whoever?

Senerio posted:

Nope. They're just gonna give a white woman a japanese name.

Neither, actually. She's going to be "The Major" throughout the movie.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jay O posted:

Neither, actually. She's going to be "The Major" throughout the movie.

:ughh:

And looking it up laffo, here's the immediate 5 starring names.

Scarlett Johansson
Pilou Asbęk
Takeshi Kitano
Juliette Binoche
Michael Pitt

A whopping 1 japanese man in the 'important name' billing.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who's Kitano playing

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Who's Kitano playing

Aramaki.

I don't care what y'all haters say, the trailer looks real good to me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It does look pretty rad. The aesthetics look real good. Of course, it just may be a case of the trailer being the best part of the movie so who knows.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It really scares me to see so many nazis in the comments, like maybe an odd-hundred or so. I've never seen so many of them as I have in the last two or three years. Where do they come from and what does it mean that they have an organized response to commenting on youtube. It doesn't seem like what I understand to be trolling. I don't know how I'd go about opposing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Jack Gladney posted:

It really scares me to see so many nazis in the comments, like maybe an odd-hundred or so. I've never seen so many of them as I have in the last two or three years. Where do they come from and what does it mean that they have an organized response to commenting on youtube. It doesn't seem like what I understand to be trolling. I don't know how I'd go about opposing them.

lots of people watch the golden one unironically :shrug:

this is the time we're living

• Locked thread