Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

GoneRampant posted:

Any tips for Neverwinter Nights 2? In particular, what's a good class/build for someone going to 3.5 after having only played 5e?

First of all, if you've only played 5E on paper, you owe it to yourself to dig up a 3/3.5 sourcebook and read it. Those were the golden years of D&D.

As for NWN2, spellcasters are the best; you can rest at almost anytime, so you can blow your entire load of spells on each combat, rest, repeat. In particular, you should avoid using Stoneskin and Greater Stoneskin unless you're playing at the top difficulty level; these spells make the game so easy it's almost no fun. Monks are also very good; they get huge AC bonuses, hit hard, and are immune to almost all status effects.

The only class to avoid is Rogue, because many enemies are immune to crits, and traps are laughably weak. Also, unless they fixed it in a patch, the Dwarven Defender's main ability does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What about NWN1? Same thing, what should I know going in blind, and does anything from the plot surface later in NWN2 or are the two completely unrelated?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Aside from I think a couple of call backs and cameos there's no plot link between the two.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
My main recommendation for NWN2 is to plan to play the Mask of the Betrayer expansion as well. 20+th level DND combat has its quirks and there are some unique mechanics in the game that turned some people off (and can be easily fixed through the console) but it was an amazing story in a unique and compelling world with some of the best writing of any RPG. It's largely written by Chris Avellone and I think it's the second best RPG writing out there to Planescape. It's much better than the base game in my opinion (and shorter, no hours and hours of slaughtering orcs) but there is enough of a story link that you probably can't skip all of NWN2.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

What about NWN1? Same thing, what should I know going in blind, and does anything from the plot surface later in NWN2 or are the two completely unrelated?
They are completely unrelated which is a good thing because NWN1's campaign sucks. Hard. The expansions are worth a playthrough, though - and you're supposed to make a new character for SoU and carry it over to HotU.

If you really want to play through NWN1, though - a lot of the same applies, thieves suck and warriors have limited usefulness. Also keep in mind you can only ever have one companion and their AI is really dumb so better not rely on that too much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Surprisingly there doesn't seem to be anything on Bravely Second yet. Anything to know? Some super OP class combos to try out?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pierzak posted:

The two are mostly unrelated aside from some cameos and whatnot. Also the main campaign of NWN1 is not very good, although I am saying that as someone who has played through it like four times for some reason. If it starts feeling too dry, the two expansions Shadows of Undrentide & Hordes of the Underdark form their own (better) story with a new protagonist so you can jump there with a level 1 character as well. Hordes of the Underdark in particular is to NWN1 what Mask of The Betrayer is to NWN2, the epic-level expansion that's somehow way better than the stuff before it.

But aside from that, for the original campaign I'd probably recommend playing an arcane caster like a Wizard. First of all you can't directly control the one henchman you get, and their AI is extremely lousy in that role. Second of all your character never reaches epic levels so their power never really falls off. Third of all there's a million locked doors and containers and if you don't have the Knock spell to unlock them with, you almost have to take the Rogue henchman with you. Clerics are also somehow even more overpowered in NWN1 than in the sequel if memory serves.

And bind henchman orders (follow, stop, attack, etc.) to your hotbars to have an easier time ordering them around.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pierzak posted:

Pretty much the same; spellcasters are awesome, but everyone is good except for rogues. The main quest is boring, hold your nose and plow through it. Yes, Aribeth is horribly written nerdbait.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

Third of all there's a million locked doors and containers and if you don't have the Knock spell to unlock them with, you almost have to take the Rogue henchman with you.

If you're playing a Wizard then you can take the Fairy as your familiar, they can unlock doors and disarm traps. They also get defensive bonuses since they're so tiny, making them effective tanks, and they can backstab.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Surprisingly there doesn't seem to be anything on Bravely Second yet. Anything to know? Some super OP class combos to try out?
The only things I'd really throw on there are:
- You can get all the jobs from the sidequests later, so pick whichever you want at first.
- The Spellcraft ability from the Wizard class can be used with any spellcasting ability, so try out different combos and enjoy how cool Spellcraft is!

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Anything helpful to know for War for (or Fall of) Cybertron? It SEEMS like a pretty straightforward series but I figured I'd ask. Also how does Devastation compare to this? I hear that it's good if you like the cartoon but the movies exist so I'm skeptical.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

juliuspringle posted:

Anything helpful to know for War for (or Fall of) Cybertron? It SEEMS like a pretty straightforward series but I figured I'd ask. Also how does Devastation compare to this? I hear that it's good if you like the cartoon but the movies exist so I'm skeptical.

I liked Devastation. I get that you're skeptical if the whole "you'll like it if you liked the cartoon" was ever used in defence of the movies simply because the movies and characters share names but no, if you liked the cartoon then Devastation really will feel like a long-lost episode of the show.

Overall the game feels kinda budget, and there are some weird choices peppered throughout, but ultimately the real core mechanics of it being a beat-em-up are fun and polished. The combat was always a treat. If you're okay with button sequence combos and you like the G1 Transformers then it's worth checking out. Just don't pay much for it.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

juliuspringle posted:

They don't really compare at all? The Cybertron games are I can't remember how long but let's just say 10 hour play and forget games. They're totally amazing, absolute blast highly recommended, but I'd probably never play one again. Like the new Wolfenstein game again? Absolutely loved it, recommend it to everyone, will probably never pick it up again.

Devastation (which I haven't played, but) is a Platinum game. So you can play the (10?) hours and that's great. Then there's another 10 hours of unlocking stuff. Then another 60+ hours of really figuring out how the scoring system works and learning the higher-order mechanics and difficulties if you choose to stay with it. It's a whole different level of stuff to unlock and strategy to learn.

Really all three games seem to be 100% must buys if you're into the series and don't worry about tips for Devastation until you beat your first run, just play the thing. Do it. But the first two games are all veneer while Devastation has real mechanics lurking under the hood.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

What path did you do in SMT IV? If your answer is "law" or "chaos," I'd recommend replaying SMT IV on the neutral path, because that's canon in Apocalypse and it sort of assumes you know what happens in it.

Buildwise, I went with a caster MC and it worked out swimmingly. Just don't neglect your agility, going first is nice.

I was pretty far down Neutral, if I remember right. Thanks for the tips!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

juliuspringle posted:

If you like the original cartoon and/or Platinum games, you'll like Devestation. Especially if you get it on sale. It is a little barebones compared to some of the bigger Platinum titles, but that's more in length of story than it is gameplay, the combat system is still super solid.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gynovore posted:

As for NWN2, spellcasters are the best; you can rest at almost anytime, so you can blow your entire load of spells on each combat, rest, repeat.

But if you do this in the last area, you're going to get loving murdered because it's the one place in the entire game that rolls for ambush-while-resting :v:

Gynovore posted:

Yes, Aribeth is horribly written nerdbait.

Y'know, I never really got that? That part right before the final boss, I was always like "... uhh why is this crazy chick comin on to my character"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 10, 2017

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

But if you do this in the last area, you're going to get loving murdered because it's the one place in the entire game that rolls for ambush-while-resting :v:

Y'know, I never really got that? That part right before the final boss, I was always like "... uhh why is this crazy chick comin on to my character"

wasnt sure if you were talking about nwn1 or nwn2 lol

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Renowned Explorers? I keep getting clobbered by the big monkey on the second expedition (I've learnt not to use Devious on that encounter, BTW). I've tried Anna/Dolores/Hattice or Anna/Jean Piet/Hattice

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Renowned Explorers? I keep getting clobbered by the big monkey on the second expedition (I've learnt not to use Devious on that encounter, BTW). I've tried Anna/Dolores/Hattice or Anna/Jean Piet/Hattice

Emotion management is important in general, and if memory serves, that fight's no exception. You want to get the ape out of Confident as a high priority, ideally by hitting him with a friendly move that Excites/Impresses. Beyond that, the fight is mostly a matter of minimizing incoming damage by killing the monkeys before they can hit you and keeping him away from your squishier party members: a combination of impassible/rough terrain and body blocking with the other two should stop him from reaching Hattice on the rounds that she attacks him, and the aggro system should prevent him from going after her when she moves forward to deal with the monkeys. Speaking of Hattice, you'd be well served be swapping her out for Harry: he does the glass cannon role better in combat, and Rogue will do more for you than Quick Thinking on the expeditions that you'll want to take with Anna as captain.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anything for Hyper Light Drifter that's not on the wiki?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Nah, wiki's got most of it. A lot of the game is better experienced, once you know how to look for secrets and which sword moves are best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Someone posted in this thread ages ago mentioned a way to abuse leveling in FFXV by taking on Demons with your car or something. Anyone know what that method was?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone posted in this thread ages ago mentioned a way to abuse leveling in FFXV by taking on Demons with your car or something. Anyone know what that method was?

They might have been talking about creating death cast spells to take on tough monsters. You'll probably regret grinding out levels though when it makes the main story too easy.

The better way to do it is to create expericast spells with rare coins or debased coins anyway. Maxed out that will give you ~20,000 XP per cast for 5 casts, more than enough to send your level through the roof.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Eldred posted:

They might have been talking about creating death cast spells to take on tough monsters. You'll probably regret grinding out levels though when it makes the main story too easy.

The better way to do it is to create expericast spells with rare coins or debased coins anyway. Maxed out that will give you ~20,000 XP per cast for 5 casts, more than enough to send your level through the roof.

And with the correct food buffs and sleeping at an expensive place, you can get ludicrous amounts of XP!

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
XCOM 2 is 12bux on humble monthly, what should I know? I played the previous game, and kinda sucked at it

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

texting my ex posted:

XCOM 2 is 12bux on humble monthly, what should I know? I played the previous game, and kinda sucked at it
The big one I can think of is that when you have a story objective that you can do as part of a regular mission (like "capture this enemy type" or whatever), try to complete it at the start of a turn, because most of them cause something new to happen in the mission that you also have to deal with.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

texting my ex posted:

There's an entry on the wiki for it, but having played and finished the core vanilla game coming from the first game, I'd add the following:
  • Unlike in the first game, there are no adjacency bonuses for facilities. What replaces it is the Workshop, of which you can have only one, which allows you to place an engineer (two with upgrades) in, and get two worker drones out, but only for adjacent facilities in the cardinal directions. So build it in the centre column, ya dingus.
  • Get a feel for how the Dark Event world timer works. You lower it by hitting facilities via Advent Facility missions, or doing important story missions which are basically the same thing. Both types of mission are in a bit of short supply, but you can get more of the former via enemy drops (and researching on those drops). Don't hem yourself in by letting the timer get super high- unless you a) have a bunch of these missions and b) know you can pull them off successfully.
  • It's been said Advent Facility missions are one of the few that benefit from stealth. They're possible to 100% no stealth no kill especially if you bring Wraith suits to run through walls to plant charges.
  • Pure sniper Sharpshooters aren't as great as in the first game. Both variants are valid, with the pistol-centred one moreso in more situations.
  • There's a facility that unlocks a hidden non-class skill for each of your squaddies once you build it. Build it before they rank up too much, because these skills only reveal on rank-ups.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

texting my ex posted:

Some of the early high powered weapons only work underwater. Don't bring a hydro-jet cannon or torpedo launcher to a terror mission.

They can be fired as reaction shots though. So if you do screw up, there is some chance at victory.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Some of the early high powered weapons only work underwater. Don't bring a hydro-jet cannon or torpedo launcher to a terror mission.

They can be fired as reaction shots though. So if you do screw up, there is some chance at victory.
I think you're thinking of a different XCOM2. 2016, not 1995.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

texting my ex posted:

Don't panic on the dark event timer, you have more time than you think.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

texting my ex posted:

Regarding timers. There is no Turn 0.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tylana posted:

Regarding timers. There is no Turn 0.

And if Extraction is an objective and the timer is still running, not getting out is still a fail, even if every enemy on the map is dead. Unless that has been patched out.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Zaodai posted:

And if Extraction is an objective and the timer is still running, not getting out is still a fail, even if every enemy on the map is dead. Unless that has been patched out.

That is still the case. In such missions, the enemy air forces are approaching and your transport can only hang around for so long (and in one spot, possibly due to a hole in the point defense grid or something).

However, if the extraction point gets destroyed (like a rooftop with most grenades), then a secondary pickup point will appear. This can be Very Bad.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Any tips for Romancing SaGa 3? I beat the android remake of RS2 but I had to use a guide because holy crap the NPCs get bad at telling you available quests shortly after the beginning of that game. I chose Harid and the NPCs seem to be slightly better at giving me quests but I have no idea how to make money to upgrade equipment/buy spells

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is there an agreed upon list of W1-2 save settings for Witcher 3 that give the "best" game experience or rather which 2 sets of permutations complete the most unique and diverse game experiences upon multiple play-throughs?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zomborgon posted:

That is still the case. In such missions, the enemy air forces are approaching and your transport can only hang around for so long (and in one spot, possibly due to a hole in the point defense grid or something).

However, if the extraction point gets destroyed (like a rooftop with most grenades), then a secondary pickup point will appear. This can be Very Bad.

Something to note is that mission triggers which require getting to a particular tile and interacting with it (pushing a button, hacking a console, etc) do not cost a turn. This includes Extraction (basically any action with a green-coloured icon), so you are quite able to sprint like mad for an objective or the extraction point rather than having to creep over to it with a spare turn in the bank to burn.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

pentyne posted:

Is there an agreed upon list of W1-2 save settings for Witcher 3 that give the "best" game experience or rather which 2 sets of permutations complete the most unique and diverse game experiences upon multiple play-throughs?

You definitely want to spare Letho.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

al-azad posted:

You definitely want to spare Letho.

That's the only big one I can think of too.

Even then it's not "big", it just lets you do a cool quest in Witcher 3 that you'd miss out on otherwise.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something to note is that mission triggers which require getting to a particular tile and interacting with it (pushing a button, hacking a console, etc) do not cost a turn. This includes Extraction (basically any action with a green-coloured icon), so you are quite able to sprint like mad for an objective or the extraction point rather than having to creep over to it with a spare turn in the bank to burn.

See, I tried that yesterday, but for some reason I got no option to hack something on my last turn despite having the rookie standing right on top of the green spot. Maybe it was the last move on the turn or something? Dunno, I'd have to recheck, and that was on Ironman.

drat rookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Leaving the map doesn't require an available action. Picking up stuff and planting stuff doesn't CONSUME an action, but requires the character to still have one available.