Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Ahhh, neato, I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Some Numbers posted:

Just to be clear, Modern is insanely popular and has a pretty healthy metagame, right?

Modern is a really good FNM format. You get to cast powerful cards (pls don't laugh at me eternal format players) and there are random budget brews that hose T1 decks and are fun to play. People sometimes complain about how game 2 and 3 comes down to if you draw your sideboard hate, but that's not entirely true. Yeah sometimes Affinity or Dredge just gets the nut draw and the only way to win is a T2 Stony Silence/RiP but usually it doesn't come down to that. Control is just kind of poo poo right now because Nahiri is a worse win condition than Twin and makes you play white.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

I wouldn't say the meta is that that diverse or going to change drastically. I assume the same decks that usually win are going to still win except maybe at a slower pace. It's not like Norin Soul Sisters or a generally accepted Tier 2 or 3 deck suddenly vaulted into the top 5 with the release of AER

I'm actually reasonably sure some variant of Abzan Company is going to be really good now. Also a Grixis delver or control deck will move up to tier one maybe.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Attorney at Funk posted:

People get into a lot of trouble talking about the health of the Modern metagame because everyone takes their own premises for what constitutes a healthy metagame for granted. We can say that Modern is an extremely diverse metagame and that a huge chunk of the different decks that make up that diverse metagame have a roughly similar play pattern (super fast linear decks which tend to be hyper-aggressive and/or combo decks). Depending on your perspective, the variety of decks that you can play means that Modern is healthy full stop. But people who like reactive decks or formats that are easy to prepare for tend to like Modern a lot less.

I like Modern because there's a lot of turnover from event to event at my store and I almost never play the same deck twice, and there's a few archetypes where I can't remember the last time I played them (Burn, Eldrazi, Merfolk etc.). If I was trapped in the endless Burn/Affinity/Infect cycle that some posters here mention then I could see myself enjoying it much less. It also helps that I only get to play once or twice a month.

The deck diversity also means you can sometimes steal wins with dumb pet decks, and who doesn't enjoy that. I have a winning record with Esper Mill for God's sake!

The concept of "metagame health" is much more important on the local level IMO. Sure mtgtop8 days Dredge was 10% of the meta last week but people at my LGS were talking a few weeks ago about how no one at our store plays it. Of course, I got paired against a new guy running it round 1 last FNM and he blew the doors off of me :argh:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 12, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm actually reasonably sure some variant of Abzan Company is going to be really good now. Also a Grixis delver or control deck will move up to tier one maybe.

Grixis Delver is my pet deck and let me just tell you how much better it is now that infect can't call my bluffs with probe and I can Fatally Push things

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Fatal Push is going to mean that I'll never be able to play Faeries again in Modern :smith:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

Fatal Push is going to mean that I'll never be able to play Faeries again in Modern :smith:

wait why

other than being a generically slow and underpowered deck for the format, I mean

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

sit on my Facebook posted:

Grixis Delver is my pet deck and let me just tell you how much better it is now that infect can't call my bluffs with probe and I can Fatally Push things

Yeah I think Grixis is about to get a whole lot better now that it has access to a second kill spell that isn't 2 mana, especially when the other 1 mana spell is in the decks tertiary color.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yeah I think Grixis is about to get a whole lot better now that it has access to a second kill spell that isn't 2 mana, especially when the other 1 mana spell is in the decks tertiary color.

Looks like I'm going back to playing Bogles with all this new and good removal in modern.

Or I keep playing spirits, either way.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

Push helps faeries a tonne my man. Fear not.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Things that are good post push:

- Lingering Souls
- Tasigur / Angler
- Snapcaster

Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

https://company.wizards.com/article/press/making-moves

this uh, doesnt actually tell us anything about your plans "moving forward," wotc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- Lingering Souls
- Tasigur / Angler
- Snapcaster

Esper Delver baby.

Actually wait poo poo I came up with that deck like a year or two ago, maybe I should revisit it...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- Lingering Souls
- Tasigur / Angler
- Snapcaster

So what you're telling me is I should play mono-U permission control and never let any of those things resolve and then I win?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

this uh, doesnt actually tell us anything about your plans "moving forward," wotc

lol that dudes name is cocks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- Lingering Souls
- Tasigur / Angler
- Snapcaster

- Primeval Titan
- Reality Smasher
- SLIPPERY BOGLE
- Wurmcoil Engine
- Kitchen Finks

what is this list for

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

oh jesus christ they're gonna do some kind of mtg/dnd cross-over, if im understanding right

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The best decision they ever made regarding Magic the Gathering was to never, ever, ever let the "designers" of dungeons and dragons be in the same room as the MtG crew.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

rabidsquid posted:

Hey, ya'll know that thing where the guys that made Eve keep spending all the Eve money on games you don't want to play? We're gonna do that.
Also, we're combining all the computer nerds into one group so we can swap them around to put out fires.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh jesus christ they're gonna do some kind of mtg/dnd cross-over, if im understanding right

They already released Zendikar campaign setting stuff for dnd a while back.

(It was pretty :effort:, just like everything else in 5e)

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Elyv posted:

do people here still hate owen for whatever reason

He's my favorite person in magic.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm fine with D&D people influencing MTG because that means blue spells will be powerful again.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

rabidsquid posted:

The thing people want "moving forward" is to be able to easily play magic on their phone, PC, and IRL while having all of that connected. Give people ways to get their digital and tangible collections in sync so your community isn't split between platforms.

also lol @ the idea of making an MMO in 2017, is WotC run by literal grandpas or something

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm fine with D&D people influencing MTG because that means blue spells will be powerful again.
At last, we can get real cards for such memorable characters as Elminster, Drizzt Do'Urden, and Gleep Wurp the Eyebiter

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Anyone in here own a tcgplayer store? I'm dumb but I'll comp you for your help/advice. I'm thinking of opening one but would rather hear from someone involved than take the nestea plunge blind

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ThePeavstenator posted:

The thing people want "moving forward" is to be able to easily play magic on their phone, PC, and IRL while having all of that connected. Give people ways to get their digital and tangible collections in sync so your community isn't split between platforms.

also lol @ the idea of making an MMO in 2017, is WotC run by literal grandpas or something

Give me a Freemium Shandalar MMO. I want to buy hats for my Tarmogoyf

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

If Eldrazi Temple didn't exist in Modern, TKS and Reality Smasher would NEVER be played.

That's probably more to do with the ♦-cost than anything IMO. Though it's hard to consider it "in a vacuum" as it were, with its weird mana cost and being in the same set as fellow 4-cmc value mans Kalitas. Like, Thought-Knot Seer is weaker than Vendilion Clique, but that's still above a lot of creatures, you know? It's out of bolt range, wins or trades with about everything at its cost or lower, and its ETB can ruin a person's day.

Not sure what my point is besides Eldrazi having some really good payoff for its tribal fast mana. Having Juggernaut Temple probably wouldn't have gone as far.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Devor posted:

Give me a Freemium Shandalar MMO. I want to buy hats for my Tarmogoyf

I would be very into an OG Shandalar MMO, provided they kept ante, had slightly-updated gameplay mechanics for the non-Magic bits and very-not-updated graphics.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The modern version of Shandalar is the Hex campaign

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

All this is being spearheaded by a "25 year veteran." So maybe he thinks fbook games are the next big thing.

Who wants to sign up for the beta of Planeswalker Wars? Do you want to post to your wall for 15 more Mana/Mox Fragments/Storm Crow Shards?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Andrast posted:

They already released Zendikar campaign setting stuff for dnd a while back.

(It was pretty :effort:, just like everything else in 5e)

it sounded to me like they were gonna make a like game cross-over, like in a mmo or whatever, but re-reading it i massively erred in understanding

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
that being said, a mtg mmo sounds loving stupid, just remake shandalar if you gotta try something new, at least that was unique

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mezzanon posted:

lol that dudes name is cocks.

I assumed this was a play on words and the actual spelling was Cox

But no.

What the hell, dude's family.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
City of Heroes: Jacetice League

Eikre
May 2, 2009
D&D guys aren't going to do jack poo poo to Magic; not only are those guys loving worthless but they are also magnitudes less productive than any of the authors from any other time in the property's multi-company history.

Mike Mearls may give a good enough blowjob to convince the Hasbro execs to remain complacent and let the D&D IP rot under his stewardship for a little while longer, but there is absofuckinglutely no way that anybody with access to the numbers and even a passing interest in profit will look at the teacups of bullshit the D&D guys have brought in for the past half-decade and compare it to the industry-sustaining fists of cash that Magic does and think it is okay in any way to let them come piss in the talent pool.

What I could see happening is that they let the D&D guys have access to the MTG trade packaging so that they can start shoveling a manual every six months to go with the block releases. Possibly, they may fire literally everyone in the D&D division and then conscript a bunch of the less desirable MTG guys to go occupy the gulag. I would say that they might do well to apply some of the design-and-development rigor that MTG has to the D&D process, but I think serendipity comprises a significant portion of their management technique and have no faith in their ability to replicate anything institutional.

They should honestly sell the whole loving thing to Valve and let them throw cabals at it. Not really even kidding.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Someone post a good Smallpox deck or Isochron Scepter deck for Modern. Thanks in advance.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

Someone post a good Smallpox deck or Isochron Scepter deck for Modern. Thanks in advance.

Not quite what you were looking for, but Caleb Durward's Mono Black Deathcloud scratches the small pox itch for me (even though no actual smallpox)

Lands
2 x Bojuka Bog
3 x Gemstone Caverns
4 x Mutavault
2 x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
13 x Swamp
Creatures
4 x Fulminator Mage
3 x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
4 x Simian Spirit Guide
3 x Solemn Simulacrum
Spells
4 x Chalice of the Void
4 x Guardian Idol
4 x Liliana of the Veil
3 x Mind Stone
4 x Death Cloud
3 x Damnation

Sideboard
4 x Leyline of the Void
4 x Thought-Knot Seer
2 x Ratchet Bomb
2 x Night of Souls' Betrayal
2 x Engineered Explosives
1 x Damnation

http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-calebd-modern-mono-black-death-cloud/

Otherwise, if you are really attached to the card small pox itself you can just run 8-rack
Planeswalkers (4)

4 Liliana of the Veil
Lands (24)

16 Swamp
4 Mutavault
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Spells (32)

4 The Rack
4 Shrieking Affliction
4 Dismember
2 Funeral Charm
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Raven's Crime
4 Smallpox
3 Thoughtseize
4 Wrench Mind
Sideboard

1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Nyxathid
1 Leyline of the Void
2 Waste Not
3 Disfigure
2 Night of Souls' Betrayal
2 Deathmark
2 Drown in Sorrow

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

PleasantDirge posted:

Anyone in here own a tcgplayer store? I'm dumb but I'll comp you for your help/advice. I'm thinking of opening one but would rather hear from someone involved than take the nestea plunge blind

I've got a tcgplayer store; shoot me whatever questions you have

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Anybody on whatever g/b aggro deck I am hearing whispers of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

PleasantDirge posted:

I'm level four, but it's not a big deal to get there. Their pricing tools are a good way to figure out what to sell for. You can only have ten items listed as a level one, but as soon as two items ship you move to level 2. TCGP take an 11% + .50 cent cut of each transaction, so I only ever bother moving rares I get in draft (I don't play constructed).

Their FAQs are pretty helpful for getting you started. They're in the business of making it easy to sell your stuff, so don't worry much. Ship on time and communicate often and you won't get negative feedback.

• Locked thread