Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of talented people worked on it and it was all a waste because it had no bite to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Srice posted:

A lot of talented people worked on it and it was all a waste because it had no bite to it.

Seconding this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
if ur a big sigur ros fan you'll enjoy the soundtrack

the problem with the show is that it wants to be a violent retribution against society show, but it fails to sell retribution nor the consequences

there are some interesting character bits with the smiley smug bishonen, whose development goes in an unanticipated way for his trope

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Namtab posted:

13:30 - far shot of satsuki hanging in the cage
13:34 - shot of satsuki’s feet, ragged and hanging, Ragyo laughing. Panning up to Satsuki’s face until 13:43, without pausing to stare at her boobs like so many other animes
13:43 - close-up of Satsuki’s face (look of rage at 13:53)
13:54 - Looking at Ragyo talking to Satsuki
13:58 - medium-far shot of Satsuki, her body is darkened rather than well-lit. Ragyo gloating
14:11 - beginning of bad touch scene. The lighting of Ragyo is bright, the lighting on Satsuki is dark, guiding the eye to Ragyo, not Satsuki.
14:21 - Four second butt shot
14:25 - Close-up of a look of rage on Satsuki’s face
14:29 - Close-up of Ragyo’s face. Gloating.
14:36 - shot panning downwards from above Satuki’s face to her face. Seven seconds. No cleavage.
14:43 to 15:39 - Backstory.
15:40 - Far panning shot of cage.
15:56 - Butt slap.
15:57 - Shot of Ragyo and Satsuki’s face. This time, the lighting is on Satsuki.
16:03 - Closeup of Satsuki’s face into a close-up of Ragyo’s face. Still enraged / still gloating
16:09 - Shot of Satsuki’s legs from halfway down her thighs and panning downwards.
16:17 - Backwards shot of a bad touch sweeping down from Satsuki’s chest down to her behind.
16:28 - From Satsuki’s face into Ragyo’s face.
16:36 - Butt slap.
16:37 - Far shot of cage. Dark. More butt slaps and Ragyo emphasizing how much she wants Satsuki to hate her.
16:40 - Close up of faces. Butt slaps continue.
16:44 - Satsuki’s face, still mad. Still slapping. Maniacal laughter from Ragyo.
16:51 - End of the scene.

Let's recap -
lots of exposition
no lingering on boobs
lighting that deliberately de-emphasized Satsuki's body
lots of focus on the faces
fostering Satsuki's anger made a part of the conversation deliberately

If you think they spent a bunch of time on Satsuki's body you were paying attention to the wrong loving thing and you're using disgust to justify voyeurism. The scene wasn't fanservice. God drat.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Anime Recommendation Thread Three: Butt slaps continue

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The above kinda put me off watching more Kill La Kill for now, anyway, Is it Alright turned out to have a really great season finale! Definitely looking forward to the second season, and would recommend it for anyone.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

i read an article that reframed kill la kill in terms of bdsm fetishes and it made way too much sense

imo if you want 75% of the fun of gurren lagann/kill la kill in 20% of the time, watch redline. i think it's on hulu.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Another person saved

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
KLK is good but Redline is definitely better and doesn't have a rape scene :iia:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Redline is light years ahead of either show, the comparison's hardly even fair.

If you want an Imaishi production that's good without reservations, Dead Leaves is the way to go.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gurren lagann is better than dead leaves

also redline is far ahead of most things, that's kind of what you get for seven years of talented work

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Please watch Redline.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

gurren lagann is better than dead leaves

nah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

u r wrong

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gurren Lagann has a garbage ending and a couple of points where the pacing kind of drags, and even at its best it's way more conservative than Dead Leaves in terms of style.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wouldn't at all call gurren lagann "conservative", imaishi's personal style is definitely not as strongly present but that's because it's more of a project between him and a bunch of other really great animators than dead leaves is. also i don't think the ending is garbage but that part of the argument around gurren lagann pretty much never goes anywhere so

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
gurren lagann may not live up to all the hype that followed it for years, but it's a drat good anime

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Gurren Lagann has a garbage ending and a couple of points where the pacing kind of drags, and even at its best it's way more conservative than Dead Leaves in terms of style.

The ending is good actually.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going to argue it and I'm going to win.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dead LEaves? More like...Dead...Smells like pee.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

While we're talking about high energy well animated films I may as well bring up the movie "Hells"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hells is really pretty but it loses all of its energy for giant chunks of time

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Seriously Hells is GORGEOUS but drags like a sum bitch for like half it's run time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

hells is really pretty but it loses all of its energy for giant chunks of time

To be perfectly honest I can't account for like 45 minutes of it's runtime, I remember the first hour at the school and then the big speech balloon fight at the end

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I wihs someone would finish translating the manga because I bet the speech balloon fight in comic format is really cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is basically the entire middle chunk of hells for like a whole hour

https://jii.moe/SJc1AA-Ux.mp4

and then the guy stands up and starts being evil again

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Update: someone did translate the rest of Hells

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

Please watch Redline.

If you have not seen Redline, ensure you do so in the highest quality possible; 1080p BluRay on a bigass HD TV, with a sound system capable of sloughing flesh off bones with the bass. If your eyes aren't perfect, murder a hobo's and take theirs. They'd understand.

Redline is worth it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

But i heard the cars actually represent penises.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Please watch Redline.

Already did, and I loved it!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

But i heard the cars actually represent penises.

"Represent?" :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Redline recommendation I got here is why I came back to ask about more stuff to watch. That poo poo was awesome in every possible way.

What is the general opinion of upcoming 2017 animes? I didnt really like Berserk or Attack on Titan, and other than those Im not too in the know on what else is coming. Should I watch the old FLCL before the new one comes out?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You should watch FLCL in general, although I'm not super optimistic about the new one.

Little witch academia seems to best of the starting seasons crop

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

The Redline recommendation I got here is why I came back to ask about more stuff to watch. That poo poo was awesome in every possible way.

What is the general opinion of upcoming 2017 animes? I didnt really like Berserk or Attack on Titan, and other than those Im not too in the know on what else is coming. Should I watch the old FLCL before the new one comes out?

The seasonal thread up there is probably the better place to ask, but from what's airing this season, I think the only thing with universal appeal is probably Little Witch Academia.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any animes that are full on Pink Mohawk Shadowrun style, high fantasy cyberpunk?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

Are there any animes that are full on Pink Mohawk Shadowrun style, high fantasy cyberpunk?

Cyber City Oedo 808 is what you want.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

JoJo ending has left a hole in my heart that I'm struggling to fill.

I'm looking for an anime that has a mix of brutal beatdowns intertwined with bizarre humor. I've seen Mob Psycho, One Punch man, Kill La Kill, and Gurenn Lagann. I'm allergic to moe and excessive fanservice (the fact that I finished KLK speaks volumes for how much I love over the top action and bizarre humor).

I'm thinking about watching Gintama but 200 episodes is waaaaaaay too much for me to deal with right now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gintama is long but it's mostly pretty episodic so you can pick it back up real easy after breaks, taking your time instead of binging. It really would be a solid fit.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

JoJo ending has left a hole in my heart that I'm struggling to fill.

I'm looking for an anime that has a mix of brutal beatdowns intertwined with bizarre humor. I've seen Mob Psycho, One Punch man, Kill La Kill, and Gurenn Lagann. I'm allergic to moe and excessive fanservice (the fact that I finished KLK speaks volumes for how much I love over the top action and bizarre humor).

I'm thinking about watching Gintama but 200 episodes is waaaaaaay too much for me to deal with right now.

Violent action mixed with comedy is a rare combination, but if you don't mind something that's at the comedy end of that scale, try Astro Fighter Sunred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gintama has some pretty neat action scenes, but it does take a while to get there. Like the first big arc is 58 episodes in for instance.

Hunter x Hunter is still pretty long but it might be more your speed.