Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The thing I really don't understand is why they signed both Crabbe and Turner. There is no world, even when they both are good, that you need both of those guys on your team. Not when you have Al Farouq Aminu and Moe Harkless as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

tanglewood1420 posted:

Who is the worst current NBA player that would be an All-Star if you sent them back in time to 1964? I think someone like Greg Monroe or CJ Miles would be a top five player in the league back then. JJ Barea would probably be an All-NBA guard.

Javale McGee, if sent back to the simpler game of 1964, would be as good as Bill Russell was.

I'm not kidding.

e.f.b.

predicto fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 12, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Everyone expected biyombo or mahimi was gonna sign in Portland except oshly

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I feel like the answer to that question is probably the same as just asking "Who is the worst current NBA player?"

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Jack's Flow posted:

I'm yelling at all of my friends: Thomas is having a better season than peak Iverson ever had. They don't seem to care though, because triple-doubles.

Much better. Iverson was an inefficient chucker.

Probably the coolest and ballsiest chucker ever, but still...

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like the answer to that question is probably the same as just asking "Who is the worst current NBA player?"

Nah, just worst current big man.

Everyone who handles the ball nowadays would have been called for travelling 30 times a game. Trying a Eurostep would get you thrown out of the game for insubordination.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

lol just lol at 🌹seeking a max after this year
It's the most hilarious sequence of headlines
"Derrick Rose Briefly Considered Walking Away From Basketball"
"Derrick Rose To Seek Max Contract In Free Agency"
Confidence baby confidence

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

predicto posted:

Nah, just worst current big man.

Everyone who handles the ball nowadays would have been called for travelling 30 times a game. Trying a Eurostep would get you thrown out of the game for insubordination.

Curry would get glued to the bench for taking threes

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Paul Zuvella posted:

The thing I really don't understand is why they signed both Crabbe and Turner. There is no world, even when they both are good, that you need both of those guys on your team. Not when you have Al Farouq Aminu and Moe Harkless as well.

Crabbe has potential, but Turner was a massive overpay just because they were worried about not having any ball handling on their bench. Sign anyone, for any position, anyone but Evil Evan or Juicy Jeff Green

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I will always love Evan Turner for revealing his new "logo" by wearing it on a t-shirt. The logo, him celebrating a 3, was created during a season where he shot 24% from 3

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

I dunno, I think it theoretically makes sense in that context. Turner is meant to be a ball handler coming off the bench while Crabbe is more of a spot-up guy. The parts that doesn't really make sense is $18 million for Evan Turner.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

And sabonis

Sabonis looks lost and needs a few weeks in the D-League. OKC needs to start Grant at the 4 and end this charade.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

poo poo forgot about Sabonis.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also Saric is kind of bad.

No, he's not. He's had a really bad month of games that has killed his numbers (a la Hield at the beginning of the year), but I think its because he hasn't been able to find stability; he plays 15 minutes one night, 20 the next, 30 the next. It's been a little better lately, but he really needs to be inserted into Ilyasova's current role in the offseason. He's has been the biggest victim of the Embiid/Noel/Okafor/Ilyasova/Holmes logjam and it's had a noticeable effect on his play. He hasn't had the time to gel with other players; e.g. he makes a great cut to the basket off a screen and has a clear layup opportunity but the timing is a bit off and McConnell putsches the pass a foot behind him.

It looks like he'll be a good, but not great, stretch 4 who rebounds very well and can play in the open court. If you play him 28-30 mpg, he'll probably give you ~15, 8, 3 and 35%-40% from 3.

The three major issues:

-Trouble finishing in the post. He's good at using his strength to get rebounds. He tries to use it to finish in the post, but he doesn't have the length to do it so he has a lovely 2 pt FG%. He needs to copy some of Sabonis' moves and not just try to bullrush the ball straight up.
-Defensively he needs to be at the 4 most of the time. He's too big and foot slow to deal with most 3s.
-He needs a haircut yesterday.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

I will always love Evan Turner for revealing his new "logo" by wearing it on a t-shirt. The logo, him celebrating a 3, was created during a season where he shot 24% from 3

Hahaha
How could I forget

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's not that bad a log jam. There's 25 minutes available at SG, 48 available at SF and like 40 available at PF. That comes out to 28 minutes each. If Portland didn't have ET they would have to play Noah Vonleh more or play a 5 at the PF spot. Plus it's good insurance policy in case of injury.

In the summer I was a proponent of the "we need another ball handler", but now I'm realizing that giving Turner the ball instead of CJ or Dame is like giving Pat Beverley the ball instead of Harden.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/NBAAllStar/status/819620278359781381

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/Sixers/status/819621292487872512

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Saric, Brogdon, and Hield and a tier above everyone else.

Saric isn't from this draft anyway, if he counts so does Embiid and there's no point to the discussion. Brogdon is the only guy who looks like he'll 100% get a third contract, injuries notwithstanding. Anyone else could wash out no surprise, though obviously a few of them will get better.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Hahahaha yes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol at Marc gasols total.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Iggy having more votes than Kemba is a goddamn crime against basketball

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Sabonis looks lost and needs a few weeks in the D-League. OKC needs to start Grant at the 4 and end this charade.

I can't tell if you are serious or not but I would not be 100% against grant starting for dunks alone

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Saric isn't from this draft anyway, if he counts so does Embiid and there's no point to the discussion. Brogdon is the only guy who looks like he'll 100% get a third contract, injuries notwithstanding. Anyone else could wash out no surprise, though obviously a few of them will get better.

Me read good some day.

Holy poo poo it's weak then. Brogdon, Hield, ummmmmmmm...then Murray?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zach :unsmith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zaza is gonna be an all star

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

for my AS vote, I went with IT, Kemba, Giannis, Porzingis, and Embiid in the east. Went with Harden, Westbrook, KD, Boogie, and Kawhi in the west.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I want Zaza to keep Draymond out of the all-star game so bad.

the shitstorm would be amazing.

e: Also they should change the way voting works so that it is

2 Frontcourt
2 Backcourt
1 Wildcard, besicully the person in 3rd with the most votes from either category.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
drat, everyone loves Giannis.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I want Zaza to keep Draymond out of the all-star game so bad.

the shitstorm would be amazing.

e: Also they should change the way voting works so that it is

2 Frontcourt
2 Backcourt
1 Wildcard, besicully the person in 3rd with the most votes from either category.

A 3 guard starting line up would be interesting...

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

Iggy having more votes than Kemba is a goddamn crime against basketball

I can't tell if you are serious or not but I would not be 100% against grant starting for dunks alone

Sabonis has had a few nice games (as recently as the 1st quarter of the Denver game) taking his open 3s and punishing smaller players in the post, but other teams aren't defending him much and he's still too timid to make them pay. You can see the wheels turning in his head when he catches at the top of the key. His defense and fouling have improved, but he's still clearly the worst starter. Adams would benefit from having another rim protector who can rotate and switch alongside him, and Grant fits the bill. I don't think starting Grant will damage the Thunder's spacing too much--teams are already letting Sabonis shoot wide open 3s at will. They've been closing games lately with Grant at the 4 anyways, might as well make that change to the starting unit as well.

The Thunder, like many teams, badly need a combo forward who can shoot and hang on defense. Kanter and Joffrey play a bunch of 4 for questionable reasons. Roberson's a little too lanky, and it's a waste to have him guard stretch 4s. Grant's the natural fit right now.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I still think it's weird that when all of Kobe's fans became Warriors fans last offseason they apparently decided Zaza was going to be there guy.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 12, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That makes a lot of sense grant would make the defense better and would make the transition offense even more powerful without taking much away from the half court sets. The bench defense would get worse with that though but it's already bad so would it even matter?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

I still think it's weird that when all of Kobe's fans became Warriors fans last offseason they apparently decided Zaza was going to be there guy.

The entire country of Georgia is voting for Zaza

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Metapod posted:

man the hawks really do have a marketing problem

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Dwight Howard is upset at all these Georgians voting for Zaza and not him, especially when he came home to play for them.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Hahaha
How could I forget

lmao Yesss

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

If you only go by eyeperformancetest it's probably brogdon, isaiah whitehead (the starting pg of the nets), jamal murray. But what does it matter when 8 of the first 10 picks were tools-potential based picks.

Thon Maker shot taker was the 10th pick in the draft and his agent used a fake ID to lower his age by 4 years like an actress's publicist sending faxes to IMDB

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Metapod posted:

Yeah but still, somehow he has almost twice the votes of Embiid and it's hard to believe. I just looked at Embiid's twitter page and counted 218,000 votes right there.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Holy poo poo it's weak then. Brogdon, Hield, ummmmmmmm...then Murray?

I'm not much into college basketball so I'm probably not the best guy to think about these things, but this draft doesn't quite have the abject stench that the 2013 one did. It feels to me that there was a lot of emphasis this year (moreso than usual) on taking guys with potential and then trying to build them up. It's kinda like back when people were drafting high school players, except these guys are one year removed from that. I mean obviously one and done is always a thing, but guys like Towns and Okafor are players with NBA ready bodies and skills even after one year. This year most of the one and done's/young international players look like projects. Ingram looks weaker than lots of high schoolers. Jaylen Brown was probably drafted with the intention of teaching him how to shoot, and that's a long term thing. Bender was playing 10 minutes a game in the Euroleague and looks like a stick (fun fact: he's 1/6 on free throws on the year), there was no way he was gonna contribute his first year.

I mean, of the one and done guys in the top 10 (excluding Simmons), the only ones who looked like they might be ready to contribute in their first years are Murray and Chriss. Murray hasn't found his shot in the NBA yet but looks like he's got potential, and Chriss just seems like a weakass who gets owned constantly (though this is not uncommon with rookies).

Hield and Dunn look like the weak spots tbh as four year players who are having trouble transferring over. I mean obviously the NBA is a way harder game and lots of rookies suck rear end, but neither of them are really blowing away any of the 'potential' picks in the same draft area where normally you'd expect them to adjust a little quicker. Was Dunn just picked so high because the draft was weak on PG's? He was at 5 and the next PG wasn't drafted until Wade Baldwin at 17. Meanwhile Hield's a relentless chucker but seems to have become functional over the last month? By and large evaluating rookies over their first half of the year is probably a garbage metric but hey I've got the free time to overspeculate about NBA on the internet so here I am.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 12, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah but still, somehow he has almost twice the votes of Embiid and it's hard to believe. I just looked at Embiid's twitter page and counted 218,000 votes right there.

I'd guess that people are going over the vote limit or spelling his name wrong

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I hadn't realized there was a Manu all star push cuz people assume this is gonna be his last year

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

2016 sucks now, but it can eventually turn around like 2013 and produce some all-stars/DPOY candidates in....what, 5 years hopefully? Lebron will be gone by then, new NBA to mess around in.

• Locked thread