Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i don't know if this is the place for it but the autistic robot form of argument is incredibly exhausting and serves to just browbeat the opposition into shutting up by minmaxing intellectual discourse demanding a never ending series of examples and arguing endlessly about the semantics of the other person's viewpoint.

It's not as bad as creating false hypothetical where a dissenting opinion somehow gives rise to the anti-christ and black people are beaten in the streets because anime forums poster said "The blacks" or whatever but it's close.

5'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Lowtax posted:

As her husband, I can 100% assure you she's upset because she previously considered herself to be a feminist Canadian liberal from the weed capital of the world, and the attitude amongst fellow liberals here blew her out of the water.

You're right. People are just getting their feelings too dang hurt by this liberal posting atmosphere, which is why others should have their feelings hurt through stereotypes and casual slurs.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't base my identity on hating bigots, so this doesn't work.

You chose a side.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Tolkien minority posted:

you posted within 5 minutes of the thread being open to call anyone who thinks dumb stuff is going on here racist and imply lady ambien is racist too. you are not one of the reasonable people lol

Okay I guess I'll spell it out then. You're getting real upset about people not engaging with unreasonable people while wanting to do the same thing yourself.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Chelb posted:

Alright, okay. Maybe that particular probation has less to do with the breaking of rules or shitposting, but for pissing off a lot of people including the mod in question (because mods are, yes, human beings).

Here's my question: In what way does a single, extremely mild probation deserve an in-depth discussion about the topic? Why must a single not amazingly justifiable call be put under a microscope? How is this single isolated incidence not suspect in how it relates to a recently modded black woman, and by itself says extremely little about the state of d&d moderation?

I didnt find it worthy of discussion until you needed an example. I laughed about its pettiness earlier today in the QCS thread. the reason it is being used as an example is due to it being emblematic of an apparently ongoing problem with posters who disagree with the consensus being silenced for their opinions. i think you are really stretching to place the mods race at the forefront of this, instead of her doing exactly what people are tired of seeing in DnD

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

It was ignored becuase no one thought you were posting it in good faith.

yeah nothing I said was wrong, what made you think it wasn't in good faith?

so you think ching chong wing wong poo poo is okay?
was it because you don't find the term mongoloid offensive and think it's a joke?
was it because I mentioned chris rock's offensive stereotyping at the oscars?

or did you get offended by me mentioning the long history of discrimination Asians have faced in this country, including their expulsion and exclusion after building the railroad for near slave wages? the fact that they look completely different, often are first generation immigrants and stereotyped as being unable to speak english?

you know how many loving eating cat and dog comments an asian person in rural america has to go through on a daily basis?

none of you thought that was serious enough to comment on though, ok

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lowtax posted:

As her husband, I can 100% assure you she's upset because she previously considered herself to be a feminist Canadian liberal from the weed capital of the world, and the attitude amongst fellow liberals here blew her out of the water.

if it makes her feel better, im sure she had good intentions and just overestimated how many white yuppies were behind the modship, and that her first madtweet has some truth to it WRT "this tiny group of a minority group on the forum for some reason has the final say on all minority issues"

also that she does have a point with how hostile people are atm to even light whiffs of possible wrongthought or wrongwordage

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

You chose a side.

This is where the conflict happens though, what if you don't want a side to begin with, and are grouped?

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Invisible Handjob posted:

so you think ching chong wing wong poo poo is okay?
was it because you don't find the term mongoloid offensive and think it's a joke?
was it because I mentioned chris rock's offensive stereotyping at the oscars?

or did you get offended by me mentioning the long history of discrimination Asians have faced in this country, including their expulsion and exclusion after building the railroad for near slave wages? the fact that they look completely different, often are first generation immigrants and stereotyped as being unable to speak english?

you know how many loving eating cat and dog comments an asian person in rural america has to go through on a daily basis?

shut up you loving racist piece of filth

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The ideology eater posted:

Okay I guess I'll spell it out then. You're getting real upset about people not engaging with unreasonable people while wanting to do the same thing yourself.

the difference is i dont read or post in d&d (besides this one specific thread which i am posting in as the qcs thread is temp closed) so i dont have to apply these standards for myself. come to gbs if you want to mock idiots and not engage with them (its fun!), the debate and discussion forum should be a place for debate and discussion

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Because this reads like a parody of a bad stone cold post

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

I didnt find it worthy of discussion until you needed an example. I laughed about its pettiness earlier today in the QCS thread. the reason it is being used as an example is due to it being emblematic of an apparently ongoing problem with posters who disagree with the consensus being silenced for their opinions. i think you are really stretching to place the mods race at the forefront of this, instead of her doing exactly what people are tired of seeing in DnD

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

shut up you loving racist piece of filth

Maybe people would take you more seriously if you used the shift key. I tend to see people who don't bother using shift as low effort.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Chelb posted:

You're right. People are just getting their feelings too dang hurt by this liberal posting atmosphere, which is why others should have their feelings hurt through stereotypes and casual slurs.

as a member of a minority group: you're kind of an rear end in a top hat towards well meaning people and should be smoked like a fag

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Oil of Paris posted:

answer his four point question in meticulous detail citing your sources or shut up, bigot

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Lime Tonics posted:

This is where the conflict happens though, what if you don't want a side to begin with, and are grouped?

Ahhhh here we can get into some MEAT!

This is when someone else projects their own beliefs upon you. Others may dog pile with them in lumping you or others into a whatever, be it true or not.

You as an individual are then required to stand up for yourself. Defending from the position THEY set for you makes your guilt of their assertion almost concrete.

You must rise above it, much like not falling to bait arguments and present your opinion as concisely as possible. And then deal with the consequences of that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

also that she does have a point with how hostile people are atm to even light whiffs of possible wrongthought or wrongwordage

donald j trump really got this forum's hackles up

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

You chose a side.

Lol. This is some "you're intolerant for not tolerating my intolerance" poo poo.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i'm sure she'll begin to heal now that it's been explained to her through the medium of gifs that she's a racist TERF bigot with a penchant for reactionary politics in a stolen country
Her original point she was making was that it's not conductive to either debate or discussion to hastily claim somebody is racist because they disagree with you. She was then labeled racist. The point was then made for her.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

as a member of a minority group: you're kind of an rear end in a top hat towards well meaning people and should be smoked like a fag

yikes

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Lowtax posted:

People will infer whatever they choose to infer, and that's usually whatever fits their worldview. There's no way to prevent people from reading in their own opinions or drawing their own conclusions. That's what people do. I've never claimed to be 100℅ objective, or able to definitely say what is or is not racist. Same with "hate speech." Is it okay for me to say "all pedophiles should be locked in prison?" (Queue joke about not having any mods here). That's technically hate speech, but it's a group of people a majority of our population have deemed unacceptable. Which groups should or should not be protected under hate speech?

Note I do not have the answers for these questions, I am posting them to debate and discuss.

Examples may help. Based on this post, it seems like you don't see a difference between the phrases "Pedophiles are bad" and "gay people are bad" and I'm assuming that's not what you meant.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

Why do some groups deserve your protection and others don't?

Because I'm morally or ethically in opposition to them. Pedophiles hurt children, the KKK spreads irrational hatred. These things are not okay in my book, so I won't protect them.

Blue Raider posted:

i guess its curtains for negrotown then

I'm not a mod though, nor do I want to be one. Especially a D&D mod. Because I'm an idiot.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

i am not sure what the opinion of ladyambien has to do with me. i imagine she is frustrated that she was almost immediately called a racist for questioning the mods decisions

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

Because this reads like a parody of a bad stone cold post

shut up you privileged white filth

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kristov posted:

Lol. This is some "you're intolerant for not tolerating my intolerance" poo poo.

:) You earned that avatar.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

VendaGoat posted:

This is when someone else projects their own beliefs upon you. Others may dog pile with them in lumping you or others into a whatever, be it true or not.

You as an individual are then required to stand up for yourself. Defending from the position THEY set for you makes your guilt of their assertion almost concrete.

You must rise above it, much like not falling to bait arguments and present your opinion as concisely as possible. And then deal with the consequences of that.
I agree with the expressed sentiment of this human being.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

I do not find the disagreement legitimate, because I do not feel that the people making these arguments are practicing the calls for decency and respect and tolerance of viewpoints that they preach.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i'm sure she'll begin to heal now that it's been explained to her through the medium of gifs that she's a racist TERF bigot with a penchant for reactionary politics in a stolen country

look ima a mod

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

Yeah, but what if i'm lazy and don't care, and you say i'm wrong and it doesn't bother me?

No one really wins and argument unless you are I say i am wrong.

Or they could have just left it to them, which is easiest.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Archer666 posted:

Because I'm morally or ethically in opposition to them. Pedophiles hurt children, the KKK spreads irrational hatred. These things are not okay in my book, so I won't protect them.

GOOD! Personal opinion stated in a clear manner! Perfectly acceptable!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
This seems like it would have gone over better if you did it in the mod forum

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
with all due respect to the OP, surely you must have realized this thread would be absolutely loving dreadful

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

shut up you privileged white filth

No, now if you'lle xcuse me I need to make a post in QCS about how mean people in D&D have been to me.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who gives a poo poo? What's funny about collecting photos and personal information about our users to fuel your weird hate of LGBT people? If that's this website's new direction then count me the gently caress out. I've been totally willing to support encouraging more flexibility on slurs. Hell, I've always been pretty flexible on that myself. Get D&D a conservative mod. Let's make it more free, let's allow for more debate from all sides. Let's change a situation in which D&D is liberal and GBS is conservative, that's all fine. But I draw the line at encouraging people to act more like the insane doxxing website full of complete loving nutjobs who have made it their job to obsess about the personal lives of other people.

To be fair when you put a face to a poster it can be pretty drat funny.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

No, now if you'lle xcuse me I need to make a post in QCS about how mean people in D&D have been to me.

go for it, I do think you're a gigantic piece of white racist trash

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Archer666 posted:

I'm not a mod though, nor do I want to be one. Especially a D&D mod. Because I'm an idiot.

i think this is some solid evidence that you are not, in fact, an idiot

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Lime Tonics posted:

Yeah, but what if i'm lazy and don't care, and you say i'm wrong and it doesn't bother me?

No one really wins and argument unless you are I say i am wrong.

Or they could have just left it to them, which is easiest.

I would then question why you are posting in this shithole, in the first place.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

with all due respect to the OP, surely you must have realized this thread would be absolutely loving dreadful

must they have

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

i am not sure what the opinion of ladyambien has to do with me. i imagine she is frustrated that she was almost immediately called a racist for questioning the mods decisions

this happened immediately after km was modded, two days before this thread started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

WampaLord posted:

Maybe people would take you more seriously if you used the shift key. I tend to see people who don't bother using shift as low effort.

rude and absolutely bigoted imo

• Locked thread