Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

This actually wasn't bad considering it looks like Duffy's ankle issues could make him a first season mirage. I'm rooting for him, though!

I'm not particularly upset at the team's trades compared to the team's signings, but on the trade level Duvall is the only really annoying thing and he wasn't going to get any playing time anyway because Pagan occupies a place of honor in Bochy's veteran fetish.
I don't think it was a bad trade either, I just wouldn't qualify it as Sabean "fleecing" anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Niwrad posted:

My son's all grown up.

Would

But only with the fedora on

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/01/11...adbpr=241544156

quote:

the new Class A Carolina League affiliate of the Rangers, the Down East Wood Ducks of Kinston, N.C.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I feel like a fat guy who's less than a year removed from a serious knee injury is not someone I'd want to be catching, especially since by all accounts he's so bad defensively he'd be giving away a decent chunk of his offensive value.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

please don't fat shame, he's husky for his age

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

This mascot seems a little Farfetch'd.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Spoeank posted:

dewd

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Spoeank posted:

:golfclap:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Spoeank posted:

:eyepop:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I see what you did....

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Julio Cruz posted:

I feel like a fat guy who's less than a year removed from a serious knee injury is not someone I'd want to be catching, especially since by all accounts he's so bad defensively he'd be giving away a decent chunk of his offensive value.

He's a negative on defense anywhere in the field and he's not going to be playing first base like most beefy lads so you either risk a fan riot by offloading him to an AL team for value or you stick him anywhere he has even marginal ability and you make it work. Ross caught over 60 games last year on 39 year old catcher legs so I would imagine Schwarber could do at least 30 games without any real worries about re-injuring the knee.

This is a complete tangent but I kind of want La Stella off the team. I don't think the Cubs need to carry more than 5 infielders (especially considering that everyone but Rizzo played multiple positions on a regular basis in 2016) and TLS doesn't play the outfield so he'd essentially be a pinch hitter and a slot-in when you want to give 2 infielders the day off. Combine that with his stated desire to only play for the MLB Cubs and the fact that he (aside from Rondon, who iirc goes home to Venezuela for the offseason) is the only 2016 player still under contract that saw significant time that's skipping the Cubs convention this weekend, and the decision to carry someone like Szczur who doesn't have any options left over La Stella as the 25th man on the roster seems easier and easier. If the Cubs want to carry either 8 relievers or 6 starters as it seems they want to, that only leaves 4 bench spots and Montero/Almora/Baez are locks.

Option TLS to Iowa after ST and if he flakes again, terminate the contract and move on.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Didn't all you Cubs fans lose your loving minds over Tommy La Stella being demoted last year?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Didn't all you Cubs fans lose your loving minds over Tommy La Stella being demoted last year?

No, that was Tommy La Stella

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

No, we lost our minds of his reaction to being demoted. Namely him running back to his mom's house and refusing to come out of his room until Maddon promised he'd be back on the team. Also IIRC he was demoted because of a roster crunch and being the only bench player with options left, and he'd have almost certainly been back up in like a week but threw a big sad and was gone for like a month.

CubsWoo posted:

This is a complete tangent but I kind of want La Stella off the team. I

It's not as if Sczcur is going to get any real time in the field either, given he's like a 10th OF at this point behind Schwarber, Contreras, Jay, Almora, Heyward, Bryant, and Zobrist who all factor to split time one way or another. So it really just comes down to who's bat is more valuable off the bench, and TLS is a lefty which means he's probably getting tapped.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

A lot of people thought it was Bad Maddon Decisions because TLS was optioned for Coghlan coming off of the DL slashing .155/.244/.278 at the time but they didn't really have anyone else on the 25-man that could reasonably be considered for Coghlan to replace that also had options to burn so it was either option TLS or release Coghlan.

Sydin posted:

It's not as if Sczcur is going to get any real time in the field either, given he's like a 10th OF at this point behind Schwarber, Contreras, Jay, Almora, Heyward, Bryant, and Zobrist who all factor to split time one way or another. So it really just comes down to who's bat is more valuable off the bench, and TLS is a lefty which means he's probably getting tapped.

La Stella being a lefty bat is important but IMO not worth having to lose Szczur to the waiver wire unless they decide to carry 12 pitchers instead of 13.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 12, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is it a lock that Almora starts the year in the majors? It wouldn't kill them to go with Jay/Heyward in CF for a little while. I don't know why there is a huge rush to have Almora up since he's 22 and still has some glaring flaws in his offense.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs need to resign All Star Bryan Lahair to lock up that 11th outfielder spot.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Is it a lock that Almora starts the year in the majors? It wouldn't kill them to go with Jay/Heyward in CF for a little while. I don't know why there is a huge rush to have Almora up since he's 22 and still has some glaring flaws in his offense.

I always figured the Jay signing was to mentor Almora and help him ease into the everyday CF slot but I could see this if the org wants him to get more time hitting but Almora was already hitting .303 in Iowa last year so I'm not sure if AAA pitching is going to fix any of those flaws.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

CubsWoo posted:

I always figured the Jay signing was to mentor Almora and help him ease into the everyday CF slot but I could see this if the org wants him to get more time hitting but Almora was already hitting .303 in Iowa last year so I'm not sure if AAA pitching is going to fix any of those flaws.

Yeah but .317 on base. Blech.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

The Timberwolves are dumb for not taking what the Cavs were willing to offer for Love, which reports indicate was something like Thompson + Bennett + a future first. Love's trade value will likely never be higher than it is right now, and there aren't any other contenders in need of a PF and willing to give up prospects better than TT to get it.

They are going to end up trading him at the trade deadline for a clearly inferior package.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hand Row posted:

Yeah but .317 on base. Blech.

Almora has never taken many walks at even the lowest levels of the minors, he's an aggressive line drive hitter who's good at squaring up the ball. Granted he doesn't strike out much either (<20% K rate at every level including the majors, granted his major league numbers are a small sample) but he does hit into a lot of outs by trying to square up bad pitches as a result of his approach. It's his defense that really sets him apart and is the reason the Cubs are looking at him as their future starting CF. Maybe a full year with Mallee coaching him will help Almora pick up some patience at the plate, but it's much more likely he will be a bottom of the order guy where his ability to consistently put the ball in play will help drive runners in even if his OBP isn't stellar, ala Addison Russell.

e. For what it's worth his 2015 scouting report mentions that if he could learn just enough patience to wait on a good pitch instead of immediately turning on bad ones, he could be a .280 hitter with ~15 HR's, which would be fantastic even if he still didn't walk much.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 12, 2017

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I was more criticising that he might not have anything more to learn from AAA pitching

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

He's a negative on defense anywhere in the field and he's not going to be playing first base like most beefy lads so you either risk a fan riot by offloading him to an AL team for value or you stick him anywhere he has even marginal ability and you make it work. Ross caught over 60 games last year on 39 year old catcher legs so I would imagine Schwarber could do at least 30 games without any real worries about re-injuring the knee.

He's bad in LF but he's appalling behind the plate. Even if he doesn't aggravate the knee his PB and error totals are going to be huge, and he can't throw out runners to save his life.

e: B-R lists him as 235lb :laffo:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Do not insult the beefiest boy

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, Schwarber should not be catching even a little.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hand Row posted:

I was more criticising that he might not have anything more to learn from AAA pitching

I guess my (very long winded, sorry :v:) point is that he has yet to gain even a little patience at any level in the minors, and he still hit well in the majors so might as well keep him up and hope the major league coaches can help him him.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, Schwarber should not be catching even a little.

Pretty much.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don't follow the NBA close enough to know if you're agreeing with me or laughing at me, so I'll just assume you're 100% on board with my post.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

He's bad in LF but he's appalling behind the plate. Even if he doesn't aggravate the knee his PB and error totals are going to be huge, and he can't throw out runners to save his life.

e: B-R lists him as 235lb :laffo:

I know defensive metrics are suspect but looking at B/Rs worst case projection for how Kyle caught in 2015 he would be worth -26 runs at the position assuming 135 starts. Cutting that down by 4 (so ~34 games, which is about what I would expect him to catch if he was Lackey or New Starter #5/6s designated catcher for the year) would mean he'd be 6 or 7 runs worse than an average defensive catcher over that stretch. Considering his ability with the bat I think he more than makes that up with the ~100 extra AB those games would allow.

If the doctors think his legs can handle catching (and I have no reason to doubt them, they were just as honest about his inability to play the field in the WS) then let him catch occasionally this year and re-evaluate the catching situation in the 2017 offseason when Montero is gone and you can fully build around Contreras/make Schwarber a permanent left fielder.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

B/Rs worst case projection for how Kyle caught in 2015 he would be worth -26 runs at the position assuming 135 starts.

Just to put this in context, this is roughly twice as bad as noted terrible catcher Jesus Montero.

e: Montero is also listed on B-R as 235lbs. This must be some sort of shorthand for fat-catcher-weight.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 12, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

Montero is gone next year and any day Schwarber is catching is another day you get both Kyle and Contreras batting without putting undue stress on your clear catcher of the future's body. Unless the plan is to try and sign Lucroy in the 2017 offseason you're going to have to carry 3 catchers on this team and you may as well let Schwarber catch 30 or 40 games and see if he can develop.

I'm on board with Schwarber as 3rd catcher. If he's medically cleared then why not? He's not on the team for his defensive prowess anyway.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

I don't follow the NBA close enough to know if you're agreeing with me or laughing at me, so I'll just assume you're 100% on board with my post.

100% mocking you

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

100% mocking you
Cool. Hope the Twins enjoy getting nothing close to JDL when they end up trading Dozier in a year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Funnily enough Cavs fans said that about Love too

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CubsWoo posted:

Considering his ability with the bat I think he more than makes that up with the ~100 extra AB those games would allow.

I still think Cubs fans heavily overrate Schwarber's bat. He's an on-base machine but he's consistently proven that he can't hit lefties at any level above A ball.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Funnily enough Cavs fans said that about Love too
Again, I lack the basketball knowledge to compare the two situations. If you think there's good reason to expect Dozier's trade market to improve significantly 6-12 months from now, feel free to share it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's not about his market improving so much as the Dodgers actually giving up what he's worth on the current one instead of trying to lowball because "well who else are you gonna trade him to, huh? :smuggo:"

That's basically what the Cavs did, and our GM (:rip:) basically told them to gently caress off because he knew that they wanted him to "complete" their championship team.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 12, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

I still think Cubs fans heavily overrate Schwarber's bat. He's an on-base machine but he's consistently proven that he can't hit lefties at any level above A ball.

.143 /.213/.268 vs LHP
.272 /.392/.544 vs RHP

Although it's relevant to note that he's only had 236 regular season AB's at the major league so you'd hope a full year up would help level that out a bit. Even if Schwarbs never hits lefties particularly well, those numbers are :barf:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

CubsWoo posted:

Combine that with his stated desire to only play for the MLB Cubs and the fact that he (aside from Rondon, who iirc goes home to Venezuela for the offseason) is the only 2016 player still under contract that saw significant time that's skipping the Cubs convention this weekend

No one's going to the convention to see Tommy La Stella, but it's still a dick move to not go.

Timby posted:

Rizzo couldn't hit lefties when he first came up either, but he figured it out pretty quickly. I'm a lot more confident in Schwarber's ability to be able to hit lefties than I am in his ability to ever be good at defense.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

It's not about his market improving so much as the Dodgers actually giving up what he's worth on the current one instead of trying to lowball because "well who else are you gonna trade him to, huh? :smuggo:"

That's basically what the Cavs did, and our GM (:rip:) basically told them to gently caress off because he knew that they wanted him to "complete" their championship team.
Jose de Leon + Brock Stewart + another lower tier guy isn't a lowball. Sorry the Dodgers FO isn't run by Dave Stewart and TLR so you can't expect JDL + Bellinger + Alvarez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Brian Doziers trade value is the highest it's possibly going to be right now.

Trading in Basketball and Baseball is not even remotely comparable. Bird Rights in basketball matter, and if the Dodgers wanted to sign Dozier then they can just pay more than anyone else. The biggest part of Doziers value is the fact that he has 2 full years of control left.

Sure, you could argue that Dozier could be putting up MVP numbers at the tradeline and that could make his value higher. Or a team could desperately need a 2B to contend but I somehow doubt either of those things will be the case.

If Dozier is on the twins by next offseason then the twins have hosed up really, really, really badly and you should be mad at your team.

e: TL;DR Doziers value at the trade deadline is, best case, slightly higher than it is now or the same. It most likely will be lower though and thats why you trade him now.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 12, 2017

• Locked thread