Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Uh, you do realise that Poland is a part of NATO, right?

the troops are occupying Poland because it's on the Russian border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snak posted:

I'm not watching some video. Why are we invading Poland?

NATO is not invading Poland. Poland is NATO.

NATO is sending additional troops to the Baltic states and Poland to prevent another Russian landgrab.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes I know we aren't invading Poland.

But it's not as funny to just ask why.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Poland is a natural part of the Russian Federation and always been a natural part of the Russian Federation. Anything else is lies by Gay-Fascists.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The issue, leaving aside that it's an Invader Zim fanfilm with the same estimated runtime as James Cameron's Avatar, is that CelticPredator approaches it as a purely technical problem. This means the concept of 'good characters' has already been set for him in advance by a dude calling himself MOVIE REVIEW HULK, who is 'apolitically' telling him that characters naturally are this, and 'acceptable' characters naturally do this. Implicitly, society itself has natural qualities. As a direct consequence, CelticPredator is now caught in a years-long process of refining what is, unwittingly, a recreation of Akiva Goldsman's A Beautiful Mind script - but set in a highschool. And 'silly'.

The personal is political. Characterization without an understanding of socioeconomic contexts will certainly result in a cluster of essentialist cliches failing about in pursuit of cats to save. Why is the protagonist 'obsessed with the paranormal'? That's not uncontentious. You immediately/inherently have a conflict between the New Age ideology of MUFON (the extraterrestrial hypothesis - alien spacecraft actually exist and vibrate in from higher planes of reality or whatever) and the ideological critique of Magonia (the psycho-social hypothesis - alien beliefs are a form of 'cognitive mapping' to make sense of life under capitalism). That's where 'alienation' potentially takes on its full weight. Is the character ostracized because he's alienated, or alienated because he's ostracized?

We can even go back a step and ask 'why highschool?' You have implicit Labyrinth / Shaun Of The Dead psychosexual narrative about 'putting away childish things' and becoming a contributing member of society. The zombies are just a plot device that vanishes from sight the moment we have the production of the couple. You can already guess that CP's script is about how to stop worrying, and love the bomb.

I don't think that we are opposed. Technique without artistry is dead, lifeless, uninspired. I wasn't talking about CP's screenplay in particular (as I haven't read it) - if the artistry is lacking then no amount of technique can salvage it. By-the-numbers characterisation divorced from context would fail, I agree. (Manchester By The Sea, for example, has characters deeply rooted in their contexts; it's one reason it works so well).

Snak posted:

Yes I know we aren't invading Poland.

But it's not as funny to just ask why.

This reminds me of one of my favourite The Onion articles. (the headline is the joke which the article can't really better):
http://www.theonion.com/article/retro-crazed-german-youths-invade-poland-591

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I could only take Film Critic Hulk's gimmick for so long before ragequitting.

Really, I've been missing a good movie site to follow since The Dissolve died. I mostly just read AV Club and Vox because it's easy and the writing's comfortably middlebrow. but it's sort of like an ice cream sandwich made with the best cookies and the most delicious ice cream. It's still an ice cream sandwich.

I binge read a bunch of recent Armond White reviews recently, and say what you will about the man, but he's his own person, and that's kind of refreshing. A lot of critics make gestures at developing their own unique perspective, but in the end they get dragged back to normalcy because to do otherwise would make them unemployable. White is only employed because the National Review clearly enjoys how often White insults liberals. 'cause White is one of those communists that think liberals are the real enemy.

I've had days where I feel like that's true.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

therattle posted:

All this is leaving aside any discussion on to what extent a screenplay is a work of art. Manchester By The Sea? Maybe. Probably. At least to quite a high degree. Avengers: Age of Ultron? Uh, less so if at all (which is not to say it can't have elements of artistry). But almost no screenplay is wholly a work of art.

Screenplays are absolutely art, most are just clumsy, frequently bad art.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Actually "right" would be not writing an article about Weezer at all because who gives a gently caress about Weezer anymore?

Haha I just heard "Buddy Holly" for the first time a couple weeks ago and I've been playing it on repeat. For some reason I thought they were a gimmick band for teenagers because of the "sun is a mass of incandescent gas" song, which is a different band entirely.

Snak posted:

King of the Hill is really good.

King of the Hill is incredible, and I wish I hadn't been exposed to every episode hundreds of times over so I could appreciate them for the first time again. Seattle is populated with the parody of hipsters Mike Judge loves to write ("they put salmon in the tacos, Hank!").

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 12, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Haha I just heard "Buddy Holly" for the first time a couple weeks ago and I've been playing it on repeat. For some reason I thought they were a gimmick band for teenagers because of the "sun is a mass of incandescent gas" song, which is a different band entirely.

They Might Be Giants are 1000x the band Weezer is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The issue, leaving aside that it's an Invader Zim fanfilm with the same estimated runtime as James Cameron's Avatar, is that CelticPredator approaches it as a purely technical problem. This means the concept of 'good characters' has already been set for him in advance by a dude calling himself MOVIE REVIEW HULK, who is 'apolitically' telling him that characters naturally are this, and 'acceptable' characters naturally do this. Implicitly, society itself has natural qualities. As a direct consequence, CelticPredator is now caught in a years-long process of refining what is, unwittingly, a recreation of Akiva Goldsman's A Beautiful Mind script - but set in a highschool. And 'silly'.

The personal is political. Characterization without an understanding of socioeconomic contexts will certainly result in a cluster of essentialist cliches failing about in pursuit of cats to save. Why is the protagonist 'obsessed with the paranormal'? That's not uncontentious. You immediately/inherently have a conflict between the New Age ideology of MUFON (the extraterrestrial hypothesis - alien spacecraft actually exist and vibrate in from higher planes of reality or whatever) and the ideological critique of Magonia (the psycho-social hypothesis - alien beliefs are a form of 'cognitive mapping' to make sense of life under capitalism). That's where 'alienation' potentially takes on its full weight. Is the character ostracized because he's alienated, or alienated because he's ostracized?

We can even go back a step and ask 'why highschool?' You have implicit Labyrinth / Shaun Of The Dead psychosexual narrative about 'putting away childish things' and becoming a contributing member of society. The zombies are just a plot device that vanishes from sight the moment we have the production of the couple. You can already guess that CP's script is about how to stop worrying, and love the bomb.

It's the language you're using I don't completely get.

You're not leveling with dumb shits like me, you're talking above me, and what happens is I learn nothing from you.

Come down to my level. Don't be smug. Then maybe you can teach me something.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He's suggesting that you're too slavishly devoted to pre-existing notions of "good" screenwriting as delivered to you from a biased source (film crit hulk). He's also being extremely rude.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They Might Be Giants are 1000x the band Weezer is.

Apparently they wrote the Malcolm in the Middle song, so congrats to them on scoring my entire middle school life.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

He's suggesting that you're too slavishly devoted to pre-existing notions of "good" screenwriting as delivered to you from a biased source (film crit hulk). He's also being extremely rude.

Yeah, he's really making GBS threads on your work in a way that seems uncalled for and mean. Not cool.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Screenplays are absolutely art, most are just clumsy, frequently bad art.

I haven't given this too much though, TBH, but I am not sure that they are, in most cases. Unlike other art forms, they are consumed indirectly - few people read screenplays for the sake of it, they are experienced as a component (albeit a fundamental one) of another art form, the film. They are written to be used, rather than experienced, which I think differentiates them. Additionally, I think that there is a difference between a work that an artist creates to express something in themselves, or a work that is commissioned by a third party to a very specific set of parameters. (That said, art is often commissioned to strict parameters and is still art, eg a sculpture or a portrait). Screenplays are also often based on other works, so you have a screenplay that is based on a book that becomes a film. I'm sot sure - can that be art?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's always rude to me, so it's nothing new.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Screenplays are an odd sort of art in that they're written to be read not by a general audience but by very specific people- the other people making the film (including investors.) So there's both a specific jargon and a sort of intimacy, it's shop talk. The rules can often be twisted because something about the project has already been decided- The Artist script says "this is silent, 1.33:1, black and white" because that was the entire conceit of the movie.

Someone on the Arrival thread posted a link to a bunch of free, legal scripts here: https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/movie-script-library-free-legal-598182505ed9#.yh5yahglz

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

therattle posted:

I haven't given this too much though, TBH, but I am not sure that they are, in most cases. Unlike other art forms, they are consumed indirectly - few people read screenplays for the sake of it, they are experienced as a component (albeit a fundamental one) of another art form, the film. They are written to be used, rather than experienced, which I think differentiates them. Additionally, I think that there is a difference between a work that an artist creates to express something in themselves, or a work that is commissioned by a third party to a very specific set of parameters. (That said, art is often commissioned to strict parameters and is still art, eg a sculpture or a portrait). Screenplays are also often based on other works, so you have a screenplay that is based on a book that becomes a film. I'm sot sure - can that be art?

Idk, i think it can definitely be. It's a unique, under-appreciated art, but many screenplays are extremely fun to read. I have a book of Ingmar Bergman screenplays that, even without Sven Nyqvist's cinematography, are extremely engaging. Then you get things like the novelization of the script for Summer of '42 becoming a bestseller before the movie even came out (the ads said something like "YOU READ THE BOOK, NOW SEE THE MOVIE") - which version of the story is the "true" version?

But I like to think that basically everything is art and has the potential for artistic value. A screenplay is just a different way to enjoy a story. If you're an architect, you might have a good time looking at blueprints.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
CP is everything SMG turns his nose up to without being the random strawman he usually prescribed his assumptions upon so it make sense he tends to talk to CP like an American who thinks shouting will help make someone who doesn't speak English understand them

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shouting seems to be the default manner of speaking for most of you people.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

glam rock hamhock posted:

CP is everything SMG turns his nose up to without being the random strawman he usually prescribed his assumptions upon so it make sense he tends to talk to CP like an American who thinks shouting will help make someone who doesn't speak English understand them

Now I want to see an 80s comedy where Tom Hanks as CP and Richard Dreyfuss as SMG are stuck together on a train or whatever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The thing with scripts is, they have a very specific function, (as said by therattle) so they can't be completely loose in how they're created. One of my first big scrips, I wrote paragraphs of backstory for the main characters, thinking that was how characters were created on the page. I mistook what Dan O'Bannon said in the making of Alien about him writing every character's back story for the actors, and put it into the actual script rather than something on the side for the actors to chew on.

Which is why I needed people like Hulk to guide me in the technical aspects, and for looking at different ways to create a character besides jamming their backstory in as a footnote. It might be basic stuff, but learning about the character trees, and his examples of how character was shown just through action, and how to write that was very helpful. Heck, so was the dreaded Max Landis. I won't defend him, but his tips are very interesting and helpful, even if you don't really like his work. He knows how to write an effective script, as evident by him getting work. So I would apply those tips for my own work on a technical basis, which I honestly don't think is a terrible thing to do.

I mean, I'd listen to tips by like, Brett Ratner too. While I don't really like his work, he's still a name in Hollywood, so there's at least something he does right.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
"An insufferable "cultural critic" and an aspiring screenwriter are stuck together in close quarters for hours" is a good premise. You could seriously just copy-paste some of the discussions here, and that would save a lot of work.

the climax of the plot is when the critic cites Zizek for the 18th time to explain why the writer's screenplay sucks, and the writer, patient up to this point, explodes, and says "gently caress ZIZEK!". not sure whether they kill each other at the end, or kiss. Either works.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Get Zizek to have a cameo where he walks past at an appropriate time.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

HERE IS WHY I STICK WITH BETTER THAN EZRA'S EARLY STUFF

Hmm... but what if, Less than Jake were Better than Ezra? :2bong:

Based on what he's written about it, CP's script misses the joke of Invader Zim that Dib is just as much of a screw up as Zim. Like, if Tak had decided to conquer Earth, Dib would be too busy chasing Chicken Foot or whatever.
So CP has written a story in which the downtrodden nerd is right, and will totally show those jerks.
And he calls Armond White insecure.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
One of them pushes the other out the window, and then the train crashes.

CelticPredator posted:

The thing with scripts is, they have a very specific function, (as said by therattle) so they can't be completely loose in how they're created. One of my first big scrips, I wrote paragraphs of backstory for the main characters, thinking that was how characters were created on the page. I mistook what Dan O'Bannon said in the making of Alien about him writing every character's back story for the actors, and put it into the actual script rather than something on the side for the actors to chew on.

Which is why I needed people like Hulk to guide me in the technical aspects, and for looking at different ways to create a character besides jamming their backstory in as a footnote. It might be basic stuff, but learning about the character trees, and his examples of how character was shown just through action, and how to write that was very helpful. Heck, so was the dreaded Max Landis. I won't defend him, but his tips are very interesting and helpful, even if you don't really like his work. He knows how to write an effective script, as evident by him getting work. So I would apply those tips for my own work on a technical basis, which I honestly don't think is a terrible thing to do.

I mean, I'd listen to tips by like, Brett Ratner too. While I don't really like his work, he's still a name in Hollywood, so there's at least something he does right.

I found it really enlightening to read one of Ingmar Bergman's novels (Private Confessions) which had clearly begun life as a script. The cover even had an image of Liv Ullmann on it. What was really illuminating was seeing his style of screenwriting adapted to a novel - it was psychologically gripping and occasionally quite beautiful, but it was also very clear and almost streamlined. I knew at all times how the characters felt and what they wanted, and there were no words wasted. It was exceptionally economical.

I'd still like to read your screenplay btw.

edit: which also underlines why I didn't like Rogue One - it was terrible at creating enlightening dialogue between characters. The film tells you almost nothing about them, nothing they say is unique or has any relevance to life, it was totally flat.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 12, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My big script just took the "paranormal loser kid" part of the Zim script and threw it into something more like Monster Squad. The nerd's right, but he's not happy about it. It's like if Mulder see's an Alien and instead of awe and wonder he does this unironically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLLBrh_PeT4&t=11s

I know my Zim, dawg. I get the joke. But I wasn't writing a Zim script here. I turned what was once that, into something else. So now it ain't that much like Zim.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

They Shoot Zombies films on Youtube, entries 401-500.

Funny Games U.S. (402)
Fido (403)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (404)
La ragazza che sapeva troppo (405)
The Signal (406)
V/H/S (409): Requires age verification.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (411)
Kurrutta Ippêji (412): The 2007 restoration if IMDB is to believed, though it's missing a soundtrack.
Arachnophobia (414)
The Crazies (415): The 2010 remake.
Dead End (418): Hardcoded Croatian subs.
C'est arrivé près de chez vous (419): Requires age verification.
Deranged (423): Hardcoded Spanish subs.
La Cabina (424)
The Woman in Black (425): The new one. Annoying watermark and hardcoded Hindi subs, but good quality.
The Most Dangerous Game (426)
Halloween (427): The 2007 remake. Requires age verification.
Dagon (431): Requires age verification.
The Addiction (434)
Grave Encounters (435)
The Prowler (436)
Silver Bullet (437)
Brain Damage (441)
The Vampire Lovers (442)
The Stuff (446): Hardcoded Croatian subs.
Street Trash (449)
Horror Express (453)
Twins of Evil (455): Requires age verification.
Images (456)
The Toxic Avenger (457): Requires age verification.
Night of the Demons (462)
Messiah of Evil (463)
Quatermass and the Pit (465): Hardcoded Spanish subs.
Little Shop of Horrors (467): You get to choose between colour and b&w.
The Night Stalker (468)
The Woman (469): Watermark and hardcoded Hindi subs.
Lisa e il diavolo (471): In English.
Frightmare (478): Requires age verification.
Trilogy of Terror (479)
The Slumber Party Massacre (481): Requires age verification.
Flesh for Frankenstein (483)
House (485)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (486)
Terror Train (491): Hardcoded Croatian subs.
Intruder (492): Hardcoded Spanish subs.
Straw Dogs (493)
The Lair of the White Worm (499)
Srpski film (500): Requires age verification. Also, I can't believe someone got away with uploading A Serbian Film to Youtube.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Only if he walks like Bigfoot.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
La Cabina rules

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

It's the language you're using I don't completely get.

You're not leveling with dumb shits like me, you're talking above me, and what happens is I learn nothing from you.

Come down to my level. Don't be smug. Then maybe you can teach me something.

I am already speaking 'at your level.' There is no need for simplification. Perhaps only reiteration.

The tell in your description is in how you describe your film as a silly alien invasion film plot 'but really' it's about overcoming obsession. The truth is that, no, you have made an alien invasion story. That's the part to 'take seriously', lest you make another Almost Human.

(Please don't make another Almost Human.)

The robot apocalypse in The Terminator is firmly based on the logic of capitalism and schizophrenia. From there, you build up the characters - Sarah Connor as a beleaguered waitress who feels distant from her mother, and so-on.

That Connor is specifically a waitress and a daughter of a single parent is fairly unimportant. To say The Terminator is about a waitress estranged from her mother would be some glib reductionism. The story is 'about' Connor's fear of termination by her employer, and the idea that her family is 'part of the machine' and therefore dead to her. Crucial is this linking of the mother and the employer to the sci-fi threat, so that - through their combination - you end up with Connor as a fully-realized character who happens to be a paranoid schizophrenic.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
"reiteration" means "saying again"!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am already speaking 'at your level.' There is no need for simplification. Perhaps only reiteration.

The tell in your description is in how you describe your film as a silly alien invasion film plot 'but really' it's about overcoming obsession. The truth is that, no, you have made an alien invasion story. That's the part to 'take seriously', lest you make another Almost Human.

(Please don't make another Almost Human.)

The robot apocalypse in The Terminator is firmly based on the logic of capitalism and schizophrenia. From there, you build up the characters - Sarah Connor as a beleaguered waitress who feels distant from her mother, and so-on.

That Connor is specifically a waitress and a daughter of a single parent is fairly unimportant. To say The Terminator is about a waitress estranged from her mother would be some glib reductionism. The story is 'about' Connor's fear of termination by her employer, and the idea that her family is 'part of the machine' and therefore dead to her. Crucial is this linking of the mother and the employer to the sci-fi threat, so that - through their combination - you end up with Connor as a fully-realized character who happens to be a paranoid schizophrenic.

You haven't read my script though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Post it for all to see.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will. I was going too last night, but I've been doing a weird editing thing where I copy and paste scenes one at a time, so I'm not flopping all over the place. Probably throw it up by tomorrow or tonight if I can get it done quick.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
IME if you share a story too soon you lose the drive to finish it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

It occurs to me that this and 12:01 PM would make a great, crushing double feature.

edit:

with this in between

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

You haven't read my script though.

:lol: if you think that will matter

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

IME if you share a story too soon you lose the drive to finish it

I've been done with it for about a year now, I'm really just been revising at this point. Trying to get it shorter, or stronger.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snak posted:

SLOVENIAN PHILOSOPHER SLAVOJ ZIZEK wanders into frame. He is frantically scratching his beard and nose and slowly inches closer to their train compartment. He raises his hand and opens his mouth to speak but before he can a PORTER walks past pushing a open trash can. Zizek follows greedily licking his lips in a profane and gluttonous manner.

e:
Scratch that

Safety Factor posted:

Only if he walks like Bigfoot.

Is much better. As long as it is the exact same movements and timing as the original video. Preferably slightly out of focus.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 12, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SMG, when the Affordable Care Act is repealed, what is going to happen to the quality of your medical care? Is this the proper form of acceleration?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
My film-reading senpai is a chatbot, dude. He does not need healthcare.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I just watched Highlander for the first time. Was pretty great. Would have seen it sooner if someone had told me that Queen did the music! no one told me

I know they did Flash Gordon too, which I haven't found yet. did they do any others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

They Shoot Zombies films on Youtube, entries 401-500.
Kurrutta Ippêji (412): The 2007 restoration if IMDB is to believed, though it's missing a soundtrack.

Here's the exact version that TCM aired, with Kinugasa's own haunting, hypnotic score from the 70s release and a good print:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3jr6Rt2w9A

I'm absolutely puzzled to why this film hasn't had a proper video release anywhere in the world. It's in the public domain in Japan, it's not in horrible shape, and already has a score.

• Locked thread