Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

buzzfeed published a story about the fact that an intelligence report contained those allegations, and explicitly said they couldn't verify the claims themselves. it's like writing a story "trump appointee claims climate change a hoax".

e: whoops new page
that's not what happened at all, but nice try

e: whoops new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

medical devices are some of the most deeply, troublingly flawed pieces of computer you will ever encounter. companies go to extreme lengths to define the domain the device covers just so to avoid fda regulation (which, lol if that still even exists in 2 years) and will always do the bare minimum required by the loosest interpretation of the regs then fight it out in court. they don't give a poo poo at all about the patient's safety at all because they have the patient over a barrel (you need the device or you die).

the worst timeline. at least in deus ex it's part of a massive conspiracy

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
more ssl fuckery:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/Htujoyq-pO8/uRBcS2TmBQAJ

quote:

Since many web servers are configured to include the URL of the request in the body of a 404 (not found) response, and the URL also contained the random code, any web server configured this way caused domain control verification to complete successfully.

at least it didn't involve some random chinese outfit

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

darkforce898 posted:

How would you go about issuing valid certificates on hundreds of devices that change their public IP address daily?

We create a domain name that we update to the correct IP when it changes.

Not accusing, just wondering.

this is the kind of thing letsencrypt is designed to make feasible: hundreds of uniquely keyed certs valid for short enough time scales that you can fire and forget them, when before it'd be an expensive UCC with a poo poo ton of names or a wildcard that was somehow even more expensive

if they're externally accessible devices like you say they are, run the letsencrypt client on them, as configured by the configuration management you surely must have with hundreds of things that change their public IPs daily

if they can't be externally accessible split-horizon your dns, map the external *.thingyouwouldgetawildcardfor.fleetofsquirrels.edu view to point at a machine running letsencrypt, and write scripts to automatically generate the certs and then put the certs into the right places using the configuration management you surely must have with hundreds of things that change their IPs daily

also, in terms of CAs/registrars with decent prices and decent humans, gandi is up there.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

there's not a terribly compelling to use PKI-trusted certs for that application if you're just phoning back to your own stuff. stand up your ca, load your certs on them and in to the root trusts, do what you need to from there. PKI certs are only going to be good for 3 years max out of box, with your own certs you can do something arbitrary to match the expected service life of the equipment + a year or two to give yourself wiggle room. device gets a new cert when its replaced or hits the end of the service life.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ate all the Oreos posted:

i think it's funny that cuba has advanced cancer treatments because surprise when there's not an overriding profit motive to spend $20bn developing and marketing the next big dick pill you actually get useful poo poo done

depends what you mean by 'advanced', radiotherapy and common chemo drugs have been around for ages so if you can get a relatively modern (i.e. not raw cobalt source or whatever they used to use) linear accelerator you're basically up to date with the rest of the world and then it's technique not technology for most common cancers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

depends what you mean by 'advanced', radiotherapy and common chemo drugs have been around for ages so if you can get a relatively modern (i.e. not raw cobalt source or whatever they used to use) linear accelerator you're basically up to date with the rest of the world and then it's technique not technology for most common cancers.

yeah they're not doing anything special there

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just finished up that Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? from 33c3.

Now I'm wondering if you declare a firearm for checked baggage if that information goes in the PNRs talked about for the booking system or if it's just in the airline's flight information.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

This is old stuff (May 2015) but I just stumbled upon it; a fairly informal introduction to how ECC / ECDH / ECDSA works in 4 posts, and that seems to be understandable without being too good at maths:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

https://github.com/rapid7/metasploit-framework/pull/7815

:v:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ate all the Oreos posted:

i assume in this case you'd actually need to access the specific transmitter etc but i guarantee that some time in the near future there will be a life-critical device that will allow some 15 year old who just discovered what a metasploit is to kill someone and you bet your rear end they will do it

... and it'll go on undetected for years until someone kills a rich old white man whos family has the money and legal motivation to finance a really thorough private autopsy because most people will assume that it was just gran's time because of the bad ticker and all - they even had an implant it was so bad!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

actually no some total loving dipshit will brag about doing it and be taken seriously enough for someone to pull logs and tens of other cases will be discovered

one of those

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
they should go back to nuclear powered pacemakers

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Munkeymon posted:

actually no some total loving dipshit will brag about doing it and be taken seriously enough for someone to pull logs and tens of other cases will be discovered

one of those
in your first scenario the family is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too busy fighting over who gets the money to care at all about the dead guy

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

im the /var/log folder on a pacemaker

2017, the year of Linux everywhere but the loving desktop apparently

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

ErIog posted:

im the /var/log folder on a pacemaker

2017, the year of Linux everywhere but the loving desktop apparently

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MononcQc posted:

This is old stuff (May 2015) but I just stumbled upon it; a fairly informal introduction to how ECC / ECDH / ECDSA works in 4 posts, and that seems to be understandable without being too good at maths:

yeah this looks like my dumb rear end can understand it, thanks!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

abraham linkedin posted:

i was so close to becoming computer
mods

Also, a senior dev left a friend's workplace a while ago and they couldn't find the source code for a major product he was working on (although there are already several beta units with various builds already in the field). After a day of panic and coming up empty-handed from searching server backups, they found it: in the trash folder on a disconnected, unlabeled hdd lying under a pile of papers on the guy's old desk.
I'm not sure if this is the worst security or the best security, because on one hand there's no way that poo poo was going to get cyberstolen or cryptolockered

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Hed posted:

Just finished up that Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? from 33c3.

Now I'm wondering if you declare a firearm for checked baggage if that information goes in the PNRs talked about for the booking system or if it's just in the airline's flight information.

what does your heart tell you

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

has anyone got any pointers on what to look for when hiring a firm/consultant to do penetration testing? it seems there's a ton of charlatans in the industry.

im currently looking at ones that publish their own research and show up at cons rather than simply blogging about things, but would be interested to hear about how this is usually approached.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/CiPHPerCoder/status/819418588582965248

This guy...

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Thanks Ants posted:

has anyone got any pointers on what to look for when hiring a firm/consultant to do penetration testing? it seems there's a ton of charlatans in the industry.

im currently looking at ones that publish their own research and show up at cons rather than simply blogging about things, but would be interested to hear about how this is usually approached.

Usually a warning sign for me is when there are more marketing people than actual technical people.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so... "i don't know how to do anything else" basically?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OSI bean dip posted:

Usually a warning sign for me is when there are more marketing people than actual technical people.

"do they employ at least one videographer?" is a pretty good test too

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

in non-piss news cellebrite was hacked sometime last year and 900GB of data has been handed to at least motherboard https://motherboard.vice.com/read/cellebrite-sold-phone-hacking-tech-to-repressive-regimes-data-suggests

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

"...is absolutely correct" is how i assume that sentence ends

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

he's nuts, but he's also one of the only loud voices in the PHP community talking about security

he's also the kind of nuts that ports libsodium to pure PHP

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

in non-piss news cellebrite was hacked sometime last year and 900GB of data has been handed to at least motherboard https://motherboard.vice.com/read/cellebrite-sold-phone-hacking-tech-to-repressive-regimes-data-suggests

i've been asking about for the data to no avail

McGlockenshire posted:

he's nuts, but he's also one of the only loud voices in the PHP community talking about security

he's also the kind of nuts that ports libsodium to pure PHP

i admire him for trying but i agree that he's insane for trying to fix the turd that is php

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

i admire him for trying but i agree that he's insane for trying to fix the turd that is php

yeah i'm not sure what to think

accessible security is important, and while php is accessible, that accessibility has made it a complete shitshow for doing things securely

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

google releases key transparency prototype: https://security.googleblog.com/2017/01/security-through-transparency.html

good first step towards improving non-browser comms

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah i'm not sure what to think

accessible security is important, and while php is accessible, that accessibility has made it a complete shitshow for doing things securely
here is his pinned tweet

https://twitter.com/CiPHPerCoder/status/794587430108168194

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
remember, always feel free to roll your own crypto

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

redleader posted:

remember, always feel free to roll your own crypto
in the first line of that project's github readme is, "Not as quick as FastAES"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hello sir yes i would like to speak to you about openbsd and its offspring

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

hello sir yes i would like to speak to you about openbsd and its offspring

you can't hack something that nobody uses

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The_Franz posted:

actually lots of people use openssh

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The_Franz posted:

openbsd begat openssh and if youre still using telnet in tyool 2017 then the secfuck is coming from inside the thread

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
I use OpenBSD for a lot of things, actually.. I really also like their new pledge() restricted-service operating mode option for stuff.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I use OpenBSD for a lot of things, actually.. I really also like their new pledge() restricted-service operating mode option for stuff.
i saw theo de raadt's talk on pledge() and what they're trying to accomplish sounds really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_7S1eqKsFk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
pledge and friends should be a compiler pass tbh

• Locked thread