Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

search your feelings, you know it to be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair the only open world game anyone says anything positive about these days in Witcher 3 and that isn't really for its open-world elements. 90% of any given open world thread involves the world Ubisoft or Ubisoft-style

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Sapozhnik posted:

Yeah, agreed. The game has a plot; clarifying it and expanding on it is fine, but loving around with the already-established events and retconning poo poo in and out of existence isn't the way to go.

These promises (threats?) are the main reason I only play for short bursts and do side stuff. I reeeeeeeeally want to see what the finished product is and it seems like the developers need another year to finish it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

search your feelings, you know it to be true

s...su...SUGOI

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Epi Lepi posted:

What I saw said he wanted to expand it into the actual main game as well. I didn't see a direct transcript, just one of the billions of Final Fantasy "News" youtube channels summarizing the interview.

It's exaggeration then. It was nothing but "custom characters" in a long list of features they're thinking about but are really far in the pipeline IIRC. There were no details.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair the only open world game anyone says anything positive about these days in Witcher 3 and that isn't really for its open-world elements. 90% of any given open world thread involves the world Ubisoft or Ubisoft-style

Watchdogs 2 is really good and they completely abandoned the usual Ubisoft open world system

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, adding a custom character to the main game makes amazingly little sense, and is a much dumber idea than anything else they did with the game. Its for the multiplayer DLC obviously.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoT7FyzYyY4

This is the video I saw and they've already said they may have misinterpreted the multiple endings part (pinned comment). So we'll see.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Open world games are tricky to get right. Having a giant world usually means 90% of your time in game is spent just traveling from point a to point b, so you have to figure out how to make the simple act of travel fun and engaging either by making the movement mechanics themselves fun or populating the world with enough to distract the player along the way. XV doesn't really pull this off but it has enough personality that you can overlook it. It's a better open world RPG than Dragon Age Inquisition anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If I think about it, the only "true" (because some people are picky as gently caress about the term) open-world games I enjoyed because they were open were Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 besides the Witcher.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
All I want from future patches are a better contextual command detection system that corresponds with what you see on screen, and the ability to pick up items while riding the chocobo.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

J-Spot posted:

Having a giant world usually means 90% of your time in game is spent just traveling from point a to point b, so you have to figure out how to make the simple act of travel fun and engaging either by making the movement mechanics themselves fun or populating the world with enough to distract the player along the way. XV doesn't really pull this off

I really enjoyed taking in the world, listening to Battle on the Big Bridge on repeat, and laughing at some of the banter. Fast travel helped, but the load times were bad enough I still ended up driving the short trips.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Getting rid of the you need to pay attention aspect of the "traversing the map is largely pointless busy work you need to pay attention during" is one of the things FFXV did right.

It'd be dreadful if you had to drive the car yourself all the time. Ignis doing it for you means you can just go and chill, swap tv inputs to look at the net, gently caress with your phone or whatever. I don't think every game should do that, but it works here.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Whats the point of Promptos photo stuff? Everyone else's skill definitely has a point except his, that I can see anyway. He takes pictures as you run around and you can save or share (no, not doing that) them. When he levels his skill up you get different frames to put on the pictures.

Is that it? Am I missing something else?

It really seems like they gave everyone a useful skill and then got to Prompto and went "??? idk make him take pictures I guess"

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Joey Freshwater posted:

Whats the point of Promptos photo stuff? Everyone else's skill definitely has a point except his, that I can see anyway. He takes pictures as you run around and you can save or share (no, not doing that) them. When he levels his skill up you get different frames to put on the pictures.

It really seems like they gave everyone a useful skill and then got to Prompto and went "??? idk make him take pictures I guess"

They're frequently awesome and/or adorable, what else do you need?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

He's your best friend and he makes memories with you you loving monster.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
He looks like Cloud and has the personality of Zell.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I played the Pitioss Ruins for an hour and it's pretty fun actually! I have no idea if I made much progress though. Actually getting there was the real rough part.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

He's your best friend and he makes memories with you you loving monster.

Only thing I want to remember is that sweet, sweet seafood risotto Ignis made over a loving campfire omg

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
It's somehow more hilarious that those two Niflheim general fuckers that drop out of the plot right after they get introduced actually come back in a sidequest where they get even less definitive closure.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Wordnumber posted:

It's somehow more hilarious that those two Niflheim general fuckers that drop out of the plot right after they get introduced actually come back in a sidequest where they get even less definitive closure.

Back when there's that first "let's introduce the baddies" cutscene with them talking to each other even though you see almost none of them besides Aranea for the entire rest of the game, I commented to my girlfriend "I don't think any sentence in that scene was actually linked to any other line."

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Play the game through to the end if you haven't already.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Attitude Indicator posted:

Yeah, adding a custom character to the main game makes amazingly little sense, and is a much dumber idea than anything else they did with the game. Its for the multiplayer DLC obviously.

But Noctis sucks and he'd be much better replaced with Iscar Matthias

Tae posted:

If I think about it, the only "true" (because some people are picky as gently caress about the term) open-world games I enjoyed because they were open were Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 besides the Witcher.

I deeply enjoyed gta 4 and the ezio assassin's creed games. Skyrim on the other hand, which lots of people think is good, is impossible for me to stick with.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Getting rid of the you need to pay attention aspect of the "traversing the map is largely pointless busy work you need to pay attention during" is one of the things FFXV did right.

It'd be dreadful if you had to drive the car yourself all the time. Ignis doing it for you means you can just go and chill, swap tv inputs to look at the net, gently caress with your phone or whatever. I don't think every game should do that, but it works here.

The characters are doing the same thing so it's weirdly immersive :v:

Joey Freshwater posted:

Pictures are fun

Joey Freshwater posted:

He looks like Cloud and has the personality of Zell.

except not quite as one-dimensionally enthusiastic stupid as Zell.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hi I'm noctis and I literally cannot get up quickly if my life depends on it.

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
I tried the demo for this game and while it looks amazing and was fairly engrossing, the combat felt a little slow. Is that addressed at all? Is this worth my time to pick up or should I wait until there's another sale or price drop on this game?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

I tried the demo for this game and while it looks amazing and was fairly engrossing, the combat felt a little slow. Is that addressed at all? Is this worth my time to pick up or should I wait until there's another sale or price drop on this game?

Buy the game and fight coeurls.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Tae posted:

Add Red Dead and my list is the same.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Its also weird to even give Witcher 3 a western game title, but I guess everything not Asian is western at this point.

It's too unlike everything else to be considered a standard, it even stands above other western rpgs.

i think a big thing that should maybe make people not compare side quests and lore in witcher to FF games so much is that witcher is based off source material and kinda has a place to get a lot of things from.

But I'm also a weird gamer because I can play and appreciate the Witcher 3 and FFXV and not really think about the other while enjoying the game.

I don't think adding the custom character is dumb or smart.

I just think it's a thing that will happen. I doubt we'll hear that them making a kick rear end pair of pants is why they delayed a story patch, so whatever features they add are gravy to me.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Does anyone really believe that they can handle all those promised features in an acceptable timeframe?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Buy the game and fight coeurls.

Alternatively, don't fight Coeurls because it's an awful time and the combat isn't really built for fast enemies.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

SectumSempra posted:

Its also weird to even give Witcher 3 a western game title, but I guess everything not Asian is western at this point.

is poland not considered a western country or is there some other arbitrary criteria for dividing games between western and eastern?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Comparing games to Witcher 3 is a fool's errand

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Seriously if there is one thing make every game have an auto photo mode like ffxv

It OWNS

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I can't wait for the PC version of this to release just because I want to see what modders can do and what the game would look like on maximum settings. I can't be the only one who's tried to figure out what the gauges and stuff on the dash are for.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's barely any modding on the 13 games and they basically run the same engine

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Oh drat it, I was in a Final Fantasy mood and I started playing XIV again

I might not be making much progress in XV now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Attitude Indicator posted:

is poland not considered a western country or is there some other arbitrary criteria for dividing games between western and eastern?

It's pretty arbitrary overall, but I'd consider Polish developers to be western in the umbrella of gaming. Eastern European games generally have a unique flavour of their own though so calling them western too is an odd feeling overall.

Witcher 3 is way better than FFXV and like 99% of games ever made though so like ZenVulgarity says, it's not really fair to compare anything to it.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh drat it, I was in a Final Fantasy mood and I started playing XIV again

I might not be making much progress in XV now.

I picked up Battlefield 1 again after a few days in post-game. I literally got the flying Batmobile, did 2 small quests and haven't gone back in.

Then I found out my BF1 ability suffered after a few weeks of not playing...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I beat FFXV after about 40 hours. When I had played Witcher 3 for about 40 hours I quit because it had become boring as hell. So YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Renoistic posted:

I beat FFXV after about 40 hours. When I had played Witcher 3 for about 40 hours I quit because it had become boring as hell. So YMMV

Yeah, Witcher 3 is kind of overrated. I still beat it and enjoyed it, but if you value gameplay over writing it's kind of lacking in that department.

• Locked thread