Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is Will Ferell's Manimal still happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is Will Ferell's Manimal still happening?

There's been no news for years so it's not looking good. :(

Manimal was pretty lovely but it was practically a masterpiece compared to some of the other crap broadcast in the early 80s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lloeUkQ1m8

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm calling it now, the twist is that the 3 girls are also personalities of the guy.

Actually, (and I only know this because there was a brief period where articles were written before the studio told them to get the gently caress off the internet until the movie was released) the twist is that James McAvoy's character was created for a sequel to Unbreakable and this movie is in the same continuity.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I would totally watch a Fall Guy movie with The Rock. Honestly, I'd watch anything with The Rock.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DC Murderverse posted:

Actually, (and I only know this because there was a brief period where articles were written before the studio told them to get the gently caress off the internet until the movie was released) the twist is that James McAvoy's character was created for a sequel to Unbreakable and this movie is in the same continuity.

This just shot to the top of my must watch list.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

You jest.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

DC Murderverse posted:

Haha holy poo poo, Unbreakable getting a Cinematic Universe is the most obvious idea for this loving superhero movie decade. You'd better not be joking around here, DC Murderverse.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I've been reading Monster Trucks reviews and I dumbfounded to learn the dude in the trailers is supposed to be a teenager in high school.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've been reading Monster Trucks reviews and I dumbfounded to learn the dude in the trailers is supposed to be a teenager in high school.

An actual high school or a fake 1980s movie high school?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I hope that spoiler is true.

Also iBoy trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbEWtpSmJXg

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

CHiPs trailer with lots of bulges touching each other and bulges touching other things. Also motorcycles, but the plot seems to be all about bulges judging by how much they feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKlbX-t9GLg

Props to Michael Pena for making good, but it's kinda bogus how he's basically the go to brown guy in hollywood right now. Guess Jacob Vargas, Jay Hernandez, and Freddy Rodriguez are back on the bench.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Where's my remake of Kolchak the Night Stalker

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also iBoy trailer!

Interesting.

Henker
May 5, 2009

The MSJ posted:

I heard Split is getting pretty good reviews.
This is the real twist. Also it has the girl from The Witch in it (which was my favorite movie of last year), so that gives me at least some hope.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

precision posted:

Where's my remake of Kolchak the Night Stalker

Straight to TV: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Stalker_(TV_series)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also iBoy trailer!

A British version of Nu-Robocop featuring a skinny dweeb and lacking a cool-rear end robobody?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why do so many trailers these days start with a short clip from the trailer we're about to watch?

Do trailer houses assume everyone watching has the attention span of a mosquito and that you better have a few second long mini-trailer in front of the trailer for the people who will tune out halfway through the real trailer?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why do so many trailers these days start with a short clip from the trailer we're about to watch?

Do trailer houses assume everyone watching has the attention span of a mosquito and that you better have a few second long mini-trailer in front of the trailer for the people who will tune out halfway through the real trailer?

I've read on here that they do it as a preview of the preview to play before auto-ads. Not sure if that's true.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

uhhh it is youtube with trailers running as pre-video ads
At least it is better than meta youtube trailers with characters begging you not to skip

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No that specific trailer for CHIPS and Spiderman and a few others have seen have the first 10 or so seconds of the video be clip from the trailer. Then there is a studio logo then the trailer actually starts. No actual ad in between and it's all part of one video.

I don't think I've ever actually seen a trailer as a youtube ad. Though that is probably just a regional thing.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FreudianSlippers posted:

If the question is ever 'was this thing done because someone had a low opinion of the general public?' the answer is universally 'yes'. And, sadly, generally borne out by market research.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

No that specific trailer for CHIPS and Spiderman and a few others have seen have the first 10 or so seconds of the video be clip from the trailer. Then there is a studio logo then the trailer actually starts. No actual ad in between and it's all part of one video.

I don't think I've ever actually seen a trailer as a youtube ad. Though that is probably just a regional thing.

It's probably like those banners you see over TV movie ads nowadays so even if you're fast forwarding you can see what the ad is for. Some advertising guy looked at some statistics about how many people watch videos from start to finish and thought it would be a good idea to cram a micro-trailer at the beginning of a regular trailer so that, even if you stop watching halfway through, you've still been trailer'd.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think the solution is to simply have those short clips be the full trailer. At very least that would solve the problem of trailers that tell you the entire story of the film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They were trying reeeeeeal hard to get a MacGyver movie up and going for a long long time. In early 2016 they announced a TV series but were still holding out for a separate movie as well, looks like the cool reception on the TV series has backed them off on the movie for the time being.
MacGyver also had a mid 90s revival with a handful of TV movies and then disappeared again for a long time, as did Cagney & Lacey, Hart to Hart, Hunter and Simon & Simon. There's also current attempts to start new series of 80s series including Magnum PI (about his daughter), Remington Steele (as a comedy) and The A-Team (with a mixed gender team) and probably a dozen others that haven't been announced yet.

80s crime-solving TV dramas are never going to die. They're just going to keep coming back again and again and again.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm looking forward to the 80s Action Dramas Cinematic Universe.

"I'm here to talk to you about the A-Team Initiative."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FreudianSlippers posted:

No that specific trailer for CHIPS and Spiderman and a few others have seen have the first 10 or so seconds of the video be clip from the trailer. Then there is a studio logo then the trailer actually starts.

Movie trailers have been doing that exact thing for a long time, you just now noticed?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phylodox posted:

Just in case someone hasn't seen this:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I predict something bad happens to weird science lady.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

precision posted:

Movie trailers have been doing that exact thing for a long time, you just now noticed?

It's a cool idea and It's a cool idea and I think we should start doing it on our posts as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Please, I can only get so erect.

You left out the best part!

quote:

In 2010, the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - America: 1988" was announced as an April Fools' Day joke, complete with mocked-up cover.[9][10] This 1988 league was the supposed successor to another league disbanded in 1979 by Oscar Goldman. The 1988 League was created after the murder of Mr. Miyagi to prevent a resurrected Tony Montana and his occult gang, the Lost Boys, from killing all those between him and domination of America

Goddamn it, why was this not real?

precision fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 12, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Slugworth posted:

If the question is ever 'was this thing done because someone had a low opinion of the general public?' the answer is universally 'yes'. And, sadly, generally borne out by market research.

Advertising market research is corporate woo-woo with little relation to reality

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MacGyver also had a mid 90s revival with a handful of TV movies and then disappeared again

The last of the MacGuyver TV movies featured a young Lena Headey in one of her first roles.

Phylodox posted:

As disappointing as the 2010 A-Team movie was, I wish it had gotten a sequel. Though on the other hand the scrapped sequel instead led to The Grey, so I'm happy with that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Advertising market research is corporate woo-woo with little relation to reality

Thirty years ago, when research consisted of sentiment-based focus groups and surveys, sure.

Data-driven advertising and PR research and analysis, with deep segmentation and cohorts? Complete opposite. You'd be terrified at how much information I can get about your online behaviors just from your email address.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Timby posted:

Thirty years ago, when research consisted of sentiment-based focus groups and surveys, sure.

Data-driven advertising and PR research and analysis, with deep segmentation and cohorts? Complete opposite. You'd be terrified at how much information I can get about your online behaviors just from your email address.

Nah, it's still bullshit. That much info doesn't actually matter when advertising firms exclusively use it to make whatever they wanted to do originally look like the best option.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also iBoy trailer!

eh, seems like typical superhero plotting, making the GoT girl just someone needing saving is lame.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
A cool thing to remember about advertising and market research is that it isn't based in reality because if the research/ad company tells their clients the wrong thing too many times then the client will go down the street to a company that's willing to tell them what they want to hear.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Chairman Capone posted:

As disappointing as the 2010 A-Team movie was

Um, what the absolute gently caress?!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Holy poo poo I just realized I watched A Team in theaters. I had completely forgotten.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

You are watching a commercial. Anyone willingly watching a commercial is a retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

LesterGroans posted:

Um, what the absolute gently caress?!

Seriously. That movie owns.

• Locked thread