Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

thetruegentleman posted:

What should the Timberwolf do? It'll take 4-5 turns (if I'm lucky) to actually cross the ravine: should I stand at the edge and keep shooting long-range shots instead? I guess it might depend on how long the people moving right into that massive cluster of enemies last...

You could turn and run to 1130 and help out your elemental point with those Afreets, or toss shots at the Mad Dog in 2018. Your elementals have a ton more ranged firepower than the Afreets do, so definitely jump to max range from them to stop getting torn up in melee.

fakeedit: Actually I don't think you have los on the Afreets, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
Since back shots have been working so well for me, I'm going to continue aiming for people's asses by running the Executioner down to 1308 and unloading on the Grendel. I will be mooning the Summoner in the process. I just hope it doesn't survive this round so it can punish me next round.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

Hypothetically, can my Nova G leap over the gaps in the bridge while running? :v:

Hypothetically yes, provided your intent is to fall into the crevasse.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Jump jets it is then.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hypothetically yes, provided your intent is to fall into the crevasse.

That would certainly put him "over" the gap, technically speaking.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Southern forces should probably send a couple of mechs and elementals to help Elemental Point 4, not like everyone will get north in time to take a shot.

Rorahusky posted:

As much as I would have loved to see the horror on Vickers' face as his entire unit gets systematically demolished, it was way, WAY funnier watching him fall off a bridge and freeze to death in icy waters without even having gotten a shot off on Goonstar.

Especially after he told our commander in the Fluff prior to the mission that he should just throw himself in the ravine and save everyone the trouble.

Delicious irony.

It's not -100 C from the heatsink AC, I think? He's probably woken up by now and is about to lose consciousness from the cold.
Probably none of his emergency sensors still work though... That accursed water.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 12, 2017

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

You should definitely maul people.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

vorebane posted:

You should definitely maul people.

I went a little overboard (again), so in addition to the Battlemaster, Shadow Hawk, Cataphract, Victor, Dragon, Catapult, Cicada, Grasshopper, and Locust I'm currently painting, I picked up:

Matador-X (Marauder)
Papa Bear (Kodiak)
Arrow (Archer)
Beholder (Cyclops)
Flackpanzer (Rifleman)
Militia Armored (Urbanmech)
Sledge (Warhammer)
Titanus (Atlas)
Lynx (Shadowcat)
Mutilator (Mauler)
MUHA infantry (Elementals :D )

All of which I intend to paint in the Wolfs Dragoons blue and gold, unless I get a better idea.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Kodiak should totally be in Ghost Bear blue and white. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

The Kodiak should totally be in Ghost Bear blue and white. :colbert:

Counterpoint: No, because I don't feel like painting five more Clan `Mechs when I'm not a fan of PGI's redesigns and most of the Ghost Bear favorites (Mad Dog, Viper, Firemoth A) are garbage and if I do one I'm doing five.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Counterpoint: No, because I don't feel like painting five more Clan `Mechs when I'm not a fan of PGI's redesigns and most of the Ghost Bear favorites (Mad Dog, Viper, Firemoth A) are garbage and if I do one I'm doing five.

Huh. Did not know Viper is a Ghost Bear favorite, always thought it was one of those general mechs everyone use.

Which clans have the best favorite/worst favorite mechs? Seems like Ghost Bear is in contention here for worst (unless there is a clan that favor nothing but garbage mechs).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Weissritter posted:

Which clans have the best favorite/worst favorite mechs? Seems like Ghost Bear is in contention here for worst (unless there is a clan that favor nothing but garbage mechs).

A good way to tell if a Clan 'favors' a particular `Mech is if they make it. Anything they make they use a lot of, and anything else they pick up in trials or pull from the 'general' list that everyone theoretically has the plans for and could make and use (the Timber Wolf is one of these, since Clan Coyote shared the design with everyone). Pretty much everything Clan Coyote makes winds up a Clan General `Mech, in fact. They're really good at designing `Mechs that aren't poo poo and really bad at protecting their IP from the other Clans.

In 3050:
- Clan Wolf has got some of the best Clan `Mechs as their favorites (Timber Wolf, Dire Wolf, and Puma), but they're also saddled with some trash (Gargoyle, Ice Ferret). They had the best workhorse platform in the Timber Wolf and performed the best in the invasion, go figure. They are also the Clan who originally designed and most effectively use the Naga.

- Clan Jade Falcon loves the Summoner, Hellbringer, Warhawk, and Kit Fox. They eventually add in some really good designs like the Cougar and Night Gyr, and some OK ones like the Turkina and Black Lanner.

- Clan Ghost Bear has the Viper, the Fire Moth (the A variant in particular), and the Mad Dog, but they also favor the Executioner so they're not completely stupid.

- Clan Smoke Jaguar favors the Stormcrow, Dire Wolf, and the Warhawk, but they're also saddled with some garbage: the Mad Dog and the Mist Lynx. Also protomechs because they're desperate and Huntress is a shithole.

- Clan Nova Cat favors the Arctic Cheetah, Huntsman, and I think the Mad Dog? They kinda don't have anything going for them until they start making Nova Cats.

- Clan Steel Viper is completely hosed for resources, they favor their own home-made garbage cost-conscious `Mechs, the Crossbow and the Battle Cobra, and also seem to favor the Warhawk as their primary Assault `Mech. They're also one of the only Invading Clans that doesn't hate using Timber Wolves, but they hate the Jade Falcons and really dislike most of the Falcons' favorites. Also, their second line "garbage" `Mechs are nearly all first rate killing machines like the Black Python, the Goshawk, and the Scylla. :iiam:

- Clan Coyote favors the Timber Wolf, since they designed the thing. Nearly every `Mech they designed wound up on the 'Clan General BattleMechs' list. They are bad at fighting.

- Clan Diamond Shark shares the same favorites as the Nova Cats, they also build the Arctic Cheetah and Huntsman, except I think they favor the Summoner over the Mad Dog. I'm not entirely sure, but it's likely since they turn their surplus of Summoner spare parts into Threshers.

- Clan Hell's Horses is another Clan that favors the Timber Wolf, but they also designed (and favor) the Stormcrow. This means they're actually pretty dangerous, especially when you throw the Epona OmniTank into the mix. They (and Phelan's Wolves) are also responsible for the Hellstar.

- Clan Goliath Scorpion favors the Warhawk, the Dire Wolf, and some of the Ghost Bear favorites (the Mad Dog and Viper). They eventually inherit the Night Gyr from the Jade Falcons.

- Clan Ice Hellion canonically favor the worst of the trash (Mist Lynx). If it's a light `Mech that moves fast, they field it. If it's not, they don't. They're responsible for the Ice Ferret, which was originally named the Wolf Hunter. Clan Wolf got so annoyed by Wolf Hunters in Ice Hellion raids that they pushed the Ice Hellions' poo poo in and took the factories that made the Wolf Hunter and renamed the design Ice Ferret just to piss off the Ice Hellions.

- Clan Snow Raven likes the Kit Fox and the Stormcrow.

- Clan Star Adder has nothing until they design the Blood Asp, which is essentially just an upgraded Kingfisher.

- Clan Cloud Cobra is pretty screwed until they inherit the Black Lanner, Turkina, and Night Gyr from the Jade Falcons.

- Clan Fire Mandrill and Clan Blood Spirit are completely hosed for resources and basically don't make OmniMechs at all.

But yeah, there's a reason the Ghost Bears did the worst in the invasion. And that reason is the Mad Dog.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 12, 2017

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

- Clan Ice Hellion canonically favor the worst of the trash (Mist Lynx). If it's a light `Mech that moves fast, they field it. If it's not, they don't. They're responsible for the Ice Ferret, which was originally named the Wolf Hunter. Clan Wolf got so annoyed by Wolf Hunters in Ice Hellion raids that they pushed the Ice Hellions' poo poo in and took the factories that made the Wolf Hunter and renamed the design Ice Ferret just to piss off the Ice Hellions.

But yeah, there's a reason the Ghost Bears did the worst in the invasion. And that reason is the Mad Dog.

Thanks for the write-up, really like reading what each Clan favor and some history on what happened. The bolded part is hilarious.

I am curious though, when you refer to the Mad Dog being bad, are you talking about the main config, or all the variants? I do not use one common enough (nowadays mostly play battletech using megamek, and if given the choice of a heavy, I gravitate towards the Timber Wolf).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Weissritter posted:

I am curious though, when you refer to the Mad Dog being bad, are you talking about the main config, or all the variants? I do not use one common enough (nowadays mostly play battletech using megamek, and if given the choice of a heavy, I gravitate towards the Timber Wolf).

It's 'bad' because it's a 60 ton heavy and it's fairly fragile on top of that, so it's one of the few Clan heavies that an Inner Sphere heavy can engage relatively safely. The Mad Dog also suffers because it's more highly specialized than the other Clan heavies, it's a long-range combatant almost exclusively and the few variants that try to give it improved close-in punch also saddle it with bad weapons like the LB 5-X Autocannon.

The Mad Dog Prime excels at parking its rear end on a hill, running its missile racks dry, and they charging to knife fight with pulse lasers. Which means it's vulnerable to artillery and airstrikes since typical Clan engagements are very formulaic affairs where both sides typically fire missiles at each other from maximum range until they run out and then move closer to engage with other weapons and most Clan Mechwarriors don't understand that once they paint 'shell the hell out of me' on the top of a hill they shouldn't keep standing in the bull's eye. Even better, if you can force one to knife fight before it runs its ammo dry it's going to be pretty vulnerable to blowing up.

They can still perform, they're still Clantech, but they're fragile. If I were to redesign the Clans, I'd have made all of their machines more like the Mad Dog, but since it's competing with the very durable and mobile Summoner and jack-of-all-trades-master-of-most `Mechs like the Timber Wolf and Stormcrow they fall very, very short.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Wait. What makes the Scylla a 'first-rate killing machine'? It has LRM ammo for 9 rounds.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well, that went about as well as I could have hoped. Completed my objective (by sawing yet another light mech in half, no less), got taken out by a leg hit, cockpit mostly intact.

I'd say Chaya's earned her stripes.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I like the AU build of the Mad Dog A more than the canonical one, holy cow. Good thing it's at the bottom of a ravine.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Counter-counter-point (it's like ECCM!): You could have it be a Ghost Bear who tagged along with the Dragoons or something. It's not like the Sphere would originally know they were ghost bear markings. :v: Then you wouldn't need a whole Star of ghost bears.

(I'm kidding, I'm just a Kodiak and Ghost Bear fan.)

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Physical Combat Phase:
Grand Dragon (Player)
- Kicks Locust IIC (3 base + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Clanner - 2 kick = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (0/10 armor, 4/6 structure remaining)! Crit!

Wait, I thought the Grand Dragon's pilot was an insurgent, not a Clanner. Shouldn't he not be getting the +1 penalty for being Clan then? (Not that it matters, since he still hit)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

Wait. What makes the Scylla a 'first-rate killing machine'? It has LRM ammo for 9 rounds.

That's actually a mark in its favor, even though it's a detriment in a long campaign. It uses its ammo quickly which means it's less likely to detonate.

The average game lasts 15 turns, but you don't really need 15 turns of ammo since some of those you'll be maneuvering and others you won't want to be firing your LRMs. The Scylla's a `Mech that was built with the realities of the tabletop game in mind.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 12, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's actually a mark in its favor, even though it's a detriment in a long campaign. It uses its ammo quickly which means it's less likely to detonate.

The average game lasts 15 turns, but you don't really need 15 turns of ammo since some of those you'll be maneuvering and others you won't want to be firing your LRMs. The Scylla's a `Mech that was built with the realities of the tabletop game in mind.

Given, but when you're out of LRMs, you have a maximum weapon throw weight of 34 damage on a 100-tonner that cost more BV to field than a Dire Wolf.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rorahusky posted:

Wait, I thought the Grand Dragon's pilot was an insurgent, not a Clanner. Shouldn't he not be getting the +1 penalty for being Clan then? (Not that it matters, since he still hit)

He's Rassalhaugian, he'll be Clan soon enough.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

Given, but when you're out of LRMs, you have a maximum weapon throw weight of 34 damage on a 100-tonner that cost more BV to field than a Dire Wolf.

Which is just enough firepower to finish things off or to let it walk off the field unmolested, which is about the best you can ask for in a machine.

Remember, the Steel Vipers are very cost-conscious, they're the most miserly of the Clans which is why everything they make is cheap poo poo so specialized. Anything that deters their dumb second line pilots from sticking around too long is a benefit to them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Having less weapons on your 100 ton assault mech wouldn't deter a Clan warrior, they'd just consider it more Glory for beating you with empty ammo bins.

Good design will never counter stupid end-users. :saddowns:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

You could have it be a Ghost Bear who tagged along with the Dragoons or something.

I could, but I don't really like the Ghost Bear colors in this context. Alpha Galaxy uses a very dark blue with black camo that's very muddy and hard to make details out on, Beta Galaxy is the same Blue and White as the Lyran Guards, Delta Galaxy is gray with blue (which is tempting, admittedly, but they'd look too much like the Smoke Jaguars I already painted), and Theta Galaxy is basically Com Guards white.

I'm actually not sold on doing the Wolfs' Dragoons blue and gold, but most of the canonical Mercenary units are either really boring black + one other color schemes, or a bright blue with one other color. I want to avoid black (because highlighting it takes forever), and I want to avoid olive drab and/or camo, which means I'm left looking for visually distinctive units. I'd do something in a bright green, but who's even heard of Gael's Grinders, the Thumpers, or the Grave Walkers?

I could also do a couple of Solaris stables instead, painting something in Green and Purple like the Constructions would make me grin, and I really like the purple and gold scheme Galahad Stables uses, but most of the Solaris stables are incredibly visually boring black + one secondary color or blue + one secondary color.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was going to say to paint them up like the Demon Hawks, but I guess they're blue and yellow too (King Dadlas aside). Is there a reason you picked that color scheme for the Hawks if you find Blue + a color to be so overdone?

Just curious.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

. . . I'm actually not sold on doing the Wolfs' Dragoons blue and gold, but most of the canonical Mercenary units are either really boring black + one other color schemes, or a bright blue with one other color . . .

What about the Highlanders then? While they don't have a uniform scheme, there's nothing stopping you from painting a 'mech all tartan either?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CourValant posted:

What about the Highlanders then? While they don't have a uniform scheme, there's nothing stopping you from painting a 'mech all tartan either?

Take his comment about not wanting to spend too much time painting highlights, then extrapolate that to painting an entire tartan scheme.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I could also do a couple of Solaris stables instead, painting something in Green and Purple like the Constructions would make me grin...

^^^

This right here. This would be amazing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You know who you could paint up if you wanted visually and lore-interesting mechs? Wrasslin Randy and his pirate wrestlemech friends!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

You know who you could paint up if you wanted visually and lore-interesting mechs? Wrasslin Randy and his pirate wrestlemech friends!

That's . . . actually not a bad idea.

They're wrasslin' pirates, so, anything goes; bold colors, neon highlights, asymmetrical designs.

Heck, paint an Ultimate Warrior mask on, it'll look neat!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

If you weren't sick of blue and white, you could paint it up like this :v:

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Ace Darwin's WhipIts imo.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Waco Rangers, let's see if they're less crazy in a setting with no Dragoons.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
What?

LegendairyBovine posted:

Ace Darwin's WhipIts imo.

If I was going to pick any unit with "no color scheme" I'd pick the Caballeros.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Preechr posted:

Waco Rangers, let's see if they're less crazy in a setting with no Dragoons.

Eh, Colonel Waco's brat would have been 'off'ed' by someone, somewhere, eventually, with similar results I'd imagine.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh man. I had forgotten that Siedman got toasted when bailing out of his Stormcrow. What an ignominious end for the former terrifying Bane pilot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

Oh man. I had forgotten that Siedman got toasted when bailing out of his Stormcrow. What an ignominious end for the former terrifying Bane pilot.

Different Siedman.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Orders in, I'm moving north. The targets down here aren't moving enough to keep my attention :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Niacin posted:

Orders in, I'm moving north. The targets down here aren't moving enough to keep my attention :agesilaus:

To be fair, I think the only guy left down south is the weaponless summoner who is just standing there and sulking about getting beat up.

• Locked thread