Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

HoboTech posted:

So here some words:

After the Trump election thing, the forums went absolutely nuts (as did everywhere). There was a thread in GBS, started by one Mr. (?) Black Baby Goku entitled "Guess demonizing white people wasn't such a good idea after all..." or something to that effect. In the end, it got gassed.

During the course of the thread there were more than a few posts about black people, complete with charts and graphs, that strongly insinuated that black people were more violent than white people as a whole. I believe this would fall under the "blanket statements" rule that doesn't have any personal attacks against specific posters.

So I guess my question is: would these threads be allowed? Would we start seeing "Here's what I think is wrong with all Muslims" as a thread title in DnD?

This is the best specific example I could come up with and some clarification on this would probably solve a lot of the fears people here are (attempting) to present.

Thank you.

You know what? If someone made that post about any race and had stats and studies and an honestly written OP, I'd be ok with it.

That poster would then have to defend his logic.

Kinda the point of Debate and Discussion, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Chelb posted:

That's not what I said, you dolt. I'm calling you a dumbass

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

whoah d&d is already gettin better and its only been a few hours

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I have long suspected that discussion of anything of importance on the internet, particularly in a comedic forum environment where everyone likes a quick poo poo joke from time to time, is inherently doomed, but d+d has been one of the better attempts at sometimes attempting it lately.

I kinda like the feminism and negrotown threads - i mean, maybe we can have another thread for debating whether feminism is good or not if you want (good luck moderating that one) but debate within a particular ideological framework is still a debate. It's not shutting down worldwide free speech to have a specific discussion that says, assuming these particular axioms, what comes out of those and what would that mean for the world. And it allows for discussion on other aspects of feminism and/or racism that aren't just Does It Exist, which while a big topic is not the only topic, and it's hard to avoid it utterly dominating the discussion if it's not pushed off somewhere else.

Debating and discussing how to debate and discuss is a big topic, as is what exactly the nature of racism is and what people mean when they say that some things might be racially biased sometimes, and maybe discussion of either isn't helped by the vast sea of shitposts in this thread? From all sides? It's like complaining how full of vomit a lake is while pissing into it.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Chelb posted:

"A real racist is what I say it is", Lowtax proclaims to the internet, and hundreds of white heads nod in emphatic agreement

you are a loving paranoid idiot

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Is a cum-loving racist better or worse than a cum-hating racist? What about a cum-neutral racist?

Not asking for a friend, this is for me.
You know that chart that has Authoritarian/Libertarian and Left/Right axes? It's like that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tolkien minority posted:

i did consider that, however

the greatest tragedy that day, was the loss of a promising soccer career....

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Psycho Society posted:

Holy cow this thread sucks. Is this really what people on your subforum are like? You can get a more rational conversation from literally any person and most dogs you see on the street. I have no idea why any person would actually seek it out as a worthwhile place to talk to human beings.

this is why I post gifs.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You better have a good reason to hate something, otherwise you are wasting energy.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Noyemi K posted:

you are a loving paranoid idiot

how have I never noticed your posting before Noyemi K

:discourse:

I'm giving you an internet high five incase your roommate forgets

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

You have to help me out here, I am supposed to hate a person because of their skin color, and I can;t do that. Am I broken?

Yes. Because racism is love, racism is life.
You should be equally racist to all the folks of the world or else you're just a husk of a person.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tolkien minority posted:

I see, thank you for educating me on

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

Yes. Because racism is love, racism is life.
You should be equally racist to all the folks of the world or else you're just a husk of a person.

I don't like country music

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Invisible Handjob posted:

I never come to DnD and I rarely post on SA unless Big Drama happens these days. Or to sell people poo poo. Wanna buy a car muffler?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

But have you considered that

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

VikingSkull posted:

You know what? If someone made that post about any race and had stats and studies and an honestly written OP, I'd be ok with it.

That poster would then have to defend his logic.

Kinda the point of Debate and Discussion, no?

That's the clarification I'm looking for from the mods. If it's allowed, then it's allowed. If not, that's fine too.

Just wanna know some concrete stuff, then I'll leave you all to your finger-pointing.

Edit: Can I summon Mr. Lowtax by name?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think one of the problems with D&D is that in order for it to work, it has to be more stuffy than 'come on guys this is a comedy forum!'

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Invisible Handjob posted:

yeah i've been missing out on some good posts, glad she showed up in GBS these last couple days otherwise I would have kept missing out

shmorky inadvertently fixed the forums

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
also on a more frivolous sidenote, I think gifs are ok. lastgrrl manages (managed? is she still a mod?) to convey a wide range of opinions on moderation policy while communicating to the entire outside world soley through gifs of a young Glaswegian woman so we should be okay.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Koalas March posted:

this is why I post gifs.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

D&D has for years been a forum where trying to be on the 'wrong' (generally right-wing, but sometimes extreme left-wing) side of the debate means you have to dance around and tiptoe and accept getting dogpiled

Basically. The collective D&D poster consciousness has a set of heuristics it uses to filter out bad posters to save time & effort. While it works in a way, there are good faith people who get shot down. What I'm saying is that GBS is the forums ghetto.

Dicky B posted:

wait hold on a sec

why does a comedy message board have a "debate and discussion" subsection

yep lol, that is why C-SPAM is so good.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

You know that chart that has Authoritarian/Libertarian and Left/Right axes? It's like that.

Do I have to love all cum, or can I just love specific people's cum? What if I only like the platonic ideal of cum, where would that put me on the cum axis?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Great, then post that in big bold letters in GBS, because we're already seeing this stuff happen. Please. People care a lot about what you and Lowtax say about the forums, including me. So anything you say that can open the door to this kind of behavior is an issue. I don't care if the politics forums become more conservative, but we've already had to deal with doxxing and a public and not-backed-up pedophilia accusation today. We can't stop people from offsite from coming here and finding info people post, and I get that, but we can draw a clear line and say "this is what's not acceptable."

Does this strict anti-doxing stance mean noted doxxer and all-round crazy person slashie is going to be banned? Assuming exmarx was correct when he said he knew TB was slashie.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Wait a minute, so if I identified as a bald middle aged black man, with pink hair whose main job is phone sex, and knows islam is the light, I'd be fine?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Koalas March posted:

i bet if I used gifs of white folks less people would complain

makes you think

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I'm just doing my part, no need to thank me. However, please remember that

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Angepain posted:

also on a more frivolous sidenote, I think gifs are ok. lastgrrl manages (managed? is she still a mod?) to convey a wide range of opinions on moderation policy while communicating to the entire outside world soley through gifs of a young Glaswegian woman so we should be okay.

She was an IK but no longer is.

Her and Nite Crew's obsession with massive sig gifs is getting to be a bit much, though.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
here, I will intone the secret magical spell that makes D&D "good" again

666 ʁouɑɼq ʁԍɑმɑuˋ ʁouɑɼq ʁԍɑმɑuˋ μԍ ᴉƨ ϝμԍ pԍƨϝ bɩԍƨᴉqԍuϝ· 666

666 Hԍ ᴉƨ woɩԍ ƨbԍcᴉɑɼ ϝμɑu ɑuλ oϝμԍɩ bɩԍƨᴉqԍuϝ· ʁouɑɼq ʁԍɑმɑuˋ ʁouɑɼq ʁԍɑმɑu· 666

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angepain posted:

I have long suspected that discussion of anything of importance on the internet, particularly in a comedic forum environment where everyone likes a quick poo poo joke from time to time, is inherently doomed, but d+d has been one of the better attempts at sometimes attempting it lately.

I kinda like the feminism and negrotown threads - i mean, maybe we can have another thread for debating whether feminism is good or not if you want (good luck moderating that one) but debate within a particular ideological framework is still a debate. It's not shutting down worldwide free speech to have a specific discussion that says, assuming these particular axioms, what comes out of those and what would that mean for the world. And it allows for discussion on other aspects of feminism and/or racism that aren't just Does It Exist, which while a big topic is not the only topic, and it's hard to avoid it utterly dominating the discussion if it's not pushed off somewhere else.

Debating and discussing how to debate and discuss is a big topic, as is what exactly the nature of racism is and what people mean when they say that some things might be racially biased sometimes, and maybe discussion of either isn't helped by the vast sea of shitposts in this thread? From all sides? It's like complaining how full of vomit a lake is while pissing into it.

I like D&D when it can be a legitimate debate and discussion board where we aren't above making piss jokes mid-topic.

It's why I also like C-SPAM where you can :justpost:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

Wait a minute, so if I identified as a bald middle aged black man, with pink hair whose main job is phone sex, and knows islam is the light, I'd be fine?

*checks flowchart* yep, that gives you access to all jokes not involving armenians, meansians, and admins.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Insect Court posted:

Does this strict anti-doxing stance mean noted doxxer and all-round crazy person slashie is going to be banned? Assuming exmarx was correct when he said he knew TB was slashie.

Why the hell do people keeping thinking TB is slashie?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tolkien minority posted:

The one with Zimmerman is better imo.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Neurolimal posted:

We're actually pretty fun to talk to, the weird reactionary folk tend to be 30-40 and perpetually angry

Just dont mention stable jobs that pay well or we'll lock ourselves in your bathroom and weep softly
I'm just speaking from personal experience, as a millennial who is not fun to talk to

Noyemi K posted:

I never come to DnD and I rarely post on SA unless Big Drama happens these days. Or to sell people poo poo. Wanna buy a car muffler?
Hi, don't see you around much. How are you doing?

Tesseraction posted:

I like D&D when it can be a legitimate debate and discussion board where we aren't above making piss jokes mid-topic.

It's why I also like C-SPAM where you can :justpost:
Isn't this the D&D we all want, even if it's not the D&D we deserve?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I have no idea, and I've seen the post that "proved" she is and it makes zero sense.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lime Tonics posted:

How can you be bald and have pink hair? Pick one.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

because she literally outed herself, I'm sure someone will link the post

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Lime Tonics posted:

it would depend on how quickly you want full stalinism implemented iirc

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Stroop There It Is posted:

Hi, don't see you around much. How are you doing?

oh gently caress, cheese it boys!

*the three eggplant people I'm made out of run to the four winds, leaving the thigh highs and a poofy mop*

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

How can you be bald and have pink hair? Pick one.

Don't kink shame

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Who What Now posted:

probably the same reason some people want to post slurs, deny racism and harass poc and lgbt folks with impunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
The Rowdy Trout is out! THE ROWDY TROUT IS OUT!

• Locked thread