Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Grundulum posted:

Friend of a friend of a friend posted a photo online of herself wearing a Dopey 2017 medal. Didn't people say the half marathon was canceled this year due to lightning? How could she have run all four events?

They still gave them the medals for doing the other three I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Empress Brosephine posted:

next time one of you guys are in germany can you stop and look at the price ranges of the cookoo clocks there? I really want one but if I can just get it cheaper online....

Expensive. I'll take pics and try to catch the prices as well.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Kermit balloon is coming down at Hollywood Studios and I always love the immediate reactions in Facebook comment threads about them removing things. "CANCELING MY VACATION."

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

demonR6 posted:

Expensive. I'll take pics and try to catch the prices as well.

Thanks demon appreciate it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

High of 66 and MK crowd is pretty sparse today. Perfect Disney day!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Tim Whatley posted:

The Kermit balloon is coming down at Hollywood Studios and I always love the immediate reactions in Facebook comment threads about them removing things. "CANCELING MY VACATION."

Can't wait for the blog posts declaring this the beginning of the end for Disney.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With my AP I can get a room only for $79 next week; that's a great bargain. This AP has paid for itself in dividends already. The coolest thing was it gave us access to the last two trips photopass retroactively.

Debating on going for a single day trip next week since it's supposed to be a "2" on the Crowd Scale day. I've only ever been on "8" or higher days!!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'm going to Disneyland as part of a larger trip to California at the start of July, what are the crowds like around that point of the year? Also, would anyone have any suggestions of absolute must-do rides? We're only going to be there one, maybe two days, and I doubt we'll bother with California Adventure.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

SteelMentor posted:

I'm going to Disneyland as part of a larger trip to California at the start of July, what are the crowds like around that point of the year? Also, would anyone have any suggestions of absolute must-do rides? We're only going to be there one, maybe two days, and I doubt we'll bother with California Adventure.

The Matterhorn, Indiana Jones (same track as Dinosaur but SOOOOO much better) and Finding Nemo subs are unique to Disneyland, as is all of Toontown (Roger Rabbit is the only must do ride in that area, but the theming is fantastic). POTC is *WAY* better at DL. So those are Must Dos

Storybook Cruise is also unique, I recommend that after dark if you want something slower pace. Disneyland also still has Mr Toad's Wild Ride, and Captain EO. The train should be running, if you've missed that at MK, and has the original dioramas between tomorrowland and main street.

Space Mountain (better IMHO), Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain (worse IMHO), & Jungle Cruise are basically identical. Peter Pan, IASW (though the topiary queue is worlds better), Buzz, Star Tours are completely identical.

If you do head over to DCA, ToT is worse than HS (same drops every time, no fun creepy room to travel through), California Screamin is fun, Cars Land is my favorite themed land at any park, and Radiator Springs Racers has the same track, but much better themed than Test Track. Grizzly River Run is basically Kali without the burnt wood smell.

Personally if I went back to DL for 2 days, I'd do the first day at DL, do the 2nd morning at DCA, then head back to DL for the rest of the trip. DCA has gotten a lot better since it first opened and was less than a half day park.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh yeah dunno if i posted it here but on my last trip I went on Kali River Rapids for the first time and it is probalby one of the top 5 worst rides in the country. It's just so boring.the flip side though is that the queue is probably the top 5 at disney aka the world

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I feel like Splash is the same at DL and MK. Or have I just not been to DL recently enough to remember the differences?

Also Indian Jones is the best overall ride experience I've had at any of the 6 domestic parks. Its not *the best* ride or *the best* queue (though Im having trouble coming up with a better one right now), but they are the best in combination. It is a full experience start to finish.

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 11, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Splash at Disney Land has a big band version of the soundtrack which is wayyyyyyy worse than the twang and bluesgrass one at WDW. Also the logs are one by one, I think that's about it. I've never been on the Disney Land one but I don't like the big band version of the soundtrack

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

oh yeah dunno if i posted it here but on my last trip I went on Kali River Rapids for the first time and it is probalby one of the top 5 worst rides in the country. It's just so boring.the flip side though is that the queue is probably the top 5 at disney aka the world

What's so bad about it? I've been to AK plenty but never really had the inclination to ride the rapids.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nimper posted:

What's so bad about it? I've been to AK plenty but never really had the inclination to ride the rapids.

You go up a lift, the track curves a few times so you can see a deforestation scene, it drops and that's basically it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD9LnvmXy0c

I put it with Maelstrom in the thrilling category.

edit; Also, the first time I rode Peter Pan none of the animatronics where moving or anything so I thought it was real dumb and dated. But I went back on this time and everything moved and it was a much better ride, which makes me wonder, how many people experience rides that are broken and that's it? I had no clue they were supposed to move!

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 11, 2017

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

BlueBayou posted:

I feel like Splash is the same at DL and MK. Or have I just not been to DL recently enough to remember the differences?

Also Indian Jones is the best overall ride experience I've had at any of the 6 domestic parks. Its not *the best* ride or *the best* queue (though Im having trouble coming up with a better one right now), but they are the best in combination. It is a full experience start to finish.

It's mostly the seats, I don't like sitting with my legs splayed around someone, I like the side by side far better.

They ruined the Indy Queue with fastpass, imo. Back when it first opened, and all the fun interactive stuff worked, I had no problem waiting in that line. Now you sprint through 3/4 of it (though not sitting through Salah's film a half dozen times is nice) and really miss the great details they put in there. The spike room was 13 year old me's favorite thing ever.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Honestly the thing I love most about Disneyland is all of the dark rides: Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice, Mr. Toad, Roger Rabbit. I just have so many fond memories of riding those over and over when I was younger, it just seems like the classic Disney ride to me. I wish there were more at Disney World, it just doesn't feel like Fantasyland without them!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Back from our honeymoon/half marathon trip to WDW! My thoughts...

- Cancelling the half was absolutely the right decision, given where the course takes you and the set-up needed. Disney really gave us good information and was quick with options. I'm sad that we didn't get to run, but this just means we get to go back next year! The wife wants to try the Dopey challenge, hopefully I can talk her out of it

- Port Orleans - Riverside was great. Loved the boat access to Disney Springs

- Best meals: California Grill and Skipper Canteen. These places are awesome!

- Worst meals: Le Cellier and Trattoria al Forno. Trattoria's food was just disgusting; Le Cellier was running a whopping 40 minutes behind scheduled reservation times, forcing us to eat quickly to make it to our viewing spot for Illuminations. Not cool, and the food was not worth the price tag.

- Dear lord do some of the rides need updating. It's been 10 years since I've been, having gone for multiple weeks a year the previous 15 years. At least change the script for Carousel of Progress; can't be talking about car phones and laser discs as new tech anymore. Also, pretty much everything at EPCOT that's not Test Track/Mission Space/Soarin needs to be blown up and redone.

- Going to EPCOT the day of the marathon was a terrible, terrible decision. The first couple of hours were packed! It slowed down later, and we were able to knock out more of Future World quickly before dinner.

- PhotoPass is worth it.

- If your FastPass+ game isn't on point, you're screwed.

Now to decide whether we want to do the half again during marathon weekend, or switch to a different race.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If your wife doesn't do Dopey, I'd recommend Wine and Dine half. It's great and the after party in EPCOT rules.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Fejsze posted:

ToT is worse than HS (same drops every time, no fun creepy room to travel through)

Important to note is that ToT is now closed in California. They're retheming it in time for the GotG sequel, and as far as people can tell it's intended to be permanent, unlike Haunted Mansion Christmas or Jingle Cruise. And as much as I loved the tower's place in the park and it's theming, hopefully with the shakeup they'll turn a pale imitation into something unique and fun in it's own way.

That is if it's done in time. Opening is far from being announced, and vague rumors say it could be delayed some time (maybe months) afterwards.

Omne posted:

Also, pretty much everything at EPCOT that's not Test Track/Mission Space/Soarin needs to be blown up and redone.

I hope you mean Future World. I will concede Future World, that place is a mess of out-of-date concepts, bad decisions, and derelict and uncared for pavillions, outside of the big Three and Spaceship Earth. But nobody should touch world showcase, unless the key phrases are, 'More Rides in non-obstructive places' and 'Changing out the Circle Vision Film in the Canadian Pavillion'.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SomeJazzyRat posted:

That is if it's done in time. Opening is far from being announced, and vague rumors say it could be delayed some time (maybe months) afterwards.

That sucks, my cast member friend who has friends working on the retheme said it would be a very quick switch over and that they started the process years ago. This is like third hand information though, so not exactly reliable.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly Mission Space can go away too.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

SomeJazzyRat posted:

'Changing out the Circle Vision Film in the Canadian Pavillion'.

C'mon, they JUST updated that in 2007!

Mission Space (orange) is the most intense ride on property and it's completely awesome. The only way to improve it would be something a la Star Tours where the mission changes.

nimper fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 12, 2017

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

SomeJazzyRat posted:

'Changing out the Circle Vision Film in the Canadian Pavillion'.

Don't you dare touch Martin Short.

Mission Space has significant problems (all those buttons that don't even sorta do anything!) but it evokes a feeling of being a hero in a space exploration pic very well. Gary Sinese, the walk down the long hallway to stand under beams of light, the...uh...incredible exit music. I think it comes together.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Omne posted:

At least change the script for Carousel of Progress; can't be talking about car phones and laser discs as new tech anymore.

People would probably riot if they did that. It's a nice place to sit down and relax in a cool, dark theatre on a hot summer's day, but more importantly it has kitsch appeal that a lot of the other old attractions lack. Being descended from the old World's Fair stuff Disney did, it's downright historic.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish they would just fix it so it doesn't reset everytime someone stands up during the ride; we sat through a scene three times before because this one kid wouldn't sit down.

That said, I get tearyeyed when I see old people in there and they have a big smile and laughing :3:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I have a question for you guys; since i've only ever bussed into the parks, how long does it take to park and get to the parks?

I'm flying in around 6 PM to Orlando and wanted to stop by the parks before making my way home (so like 45 mintues from MCO to MK sound right?) and then wanted to know ho wlong it takes to park and get in! Please and thank you!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just sharing my favorite Disney photos I've taken from last spring

and this one from our Disney cruise as we pulled into port in Nassau one morning

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Oh yeah I have a question for you guys; since i've only ever bussed into the parks, how long does it take to park and get to the parks?

I'm flying in around 6 PM to Orlando and wanted to stop by the parks before making my way home (so like 45 mintues from MCO to MK sound right?) and then wanted to know ho wlong it takes to park and get in! Please and thank you!

Depending on traffic, I'd say you're looking at an hour, but I'm not a local. I have driven in from the airport to a resort, but never straight to a park. 6 pm Orlando traffic seems like it'd be kind of a bitch.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

So you will land at 6PM, Deboard, if you have luggage wait for that and then get to the car. That's about 645-7. It'll take 30-45 minutes to get to the parking lot from MCO depending on traffic. Pay at the toll, park, hop on a tram. Then monorail over. You're looking at arriving at 730-8pm. If it's this weekend, the parks will be packed. If it's in the middle of this week, the park closes early I believe.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'd be Wednesday but yeah still would be cutting it close. Won't bother then thanks for the help

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Boxman posted:

Don't you dare touch Martin Short.

Mission Space has significant problems (all those buttons that don't even sorta do anything!) but it evokes a feeling of being a hero in a space exploration pic very well. Gary Sinese, the walk down the long hallway to stand under beams of light, the...uh...incredible exit music. I think it comes together.

Thanks for posting that. Now I'm down the hole of Epcot vocal tracks. Tomorrow's Child, stuck in my head AGAIN. Thanks a lot.
(Oh god while I was about post this the autoplay hit Listen to the Land oh god oh god I remember this song who authorized this loving thing. I love that ride and I'm deeply conflicted the song is gone because (a)thank god but (b) I kind of miss it what is wrong with me)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I hope you mean Future World. I will concede Future World, that place is a mess of out-of-date concepts, bad decisions, and derelict and uncared for pavillions, outside of the big Three and Spaceship Earth. But nobody should touch world showcase, unless the key phrases are, 'More Rides in non-obstructive places' and 'Changing out the Circle Vision Film in the Canadian Pavillion'.

Yes, I meant Future World. It really stood out as the most out-of-date, should-be-closed portion of the parks. People talk about AK being a half-day park? You could probably get through all of the Future World attractions before World Showcase even opens.

chitoryu12 posted:

People would probably riot if they did that. It's a nice place to sit down and relax in a cool, dark theatre on a hot summer's day, but more importantly it has kitsch appeal that a lot of the other old attractions lack. Being descended from the old World's Fair stuff Disney did, it's downright historic.

Eh, I'm not talking about removal, I'm talking about updating it. They've updated other original attractions (i.e. Pirates, Hall of Presidents, etc.). poo poo, they've updated CoP five times in the past: '67, '75, '81, '85 and '93).

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Boxman posted:

How hard is it really to animate some new video? It got dated super quick, and after going on the new star tours it's amazing how much more enjoyable an older ride can be with an update that should be fairly simple. Maybe there's some reason that makes it more difficult than I'm imagining, but that would make the ride a top tear again pretty fast.

That music though... my office mate is looking at me like I'm crazy right now

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Fejsze posted:

How hard is it really to animate some new video? It got dated super quick, and after going on the new star tours it's amazing how much more enjoyable an older ride can be with an update that should be fairly simple. Maybe there's some reason that makes it more difficult than I'm imagining, but that would make the ride a top tear again pretty fast.

That music though... my office mate is looking at me like I'm crazy right now

I wonder if they could use glasses-free 3D like the 3DS. You already can't move your head at all, so it seems feasible to me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They already do or atleast a version of it because it gave my girlfriend a seizure when we went on it lol

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Context posted:

I wonder if they could use glasses-free 3D like the 3DS. You already can't move your head at all, so it seems feasible to me.

Give the already vomit inducing ride more potential for making people sick.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Universal is moving to a "virtual queue" starting with the Jimmy Fallon NYC ride this summer. You'll have a card/band that you'll check in with like a fast pass, then go wander around the park and do other things and be given a return time to ride. Basically very similar to the way the Disney system works for people that can't stand in a line for various medical reasons. Seems like a good idea overall and will let you do things like eat or sight see instead of standing around most of the day. There's no way the general public won't gently caress this up though and cause tons of headaches for employees because they tried to squeeze in another ride during that time and got behind schedule or missed their call back. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Universal is moving to a "virtual queue" starting with the Jimmy Fallon NYC ride this summer. You'll have a card/band that you'll check in with like a fast pass, then go wander around the park and do other things and be given a return time to ride. Basically very similar to the way the Disney system works for people that can't stand in a line for various medical reasons. Seems like a good idea overall and will let you do things like eat or sight see instead of standing around most of the day. There's no way the general public won't gently caress this up though and cause tons of headaches for employees because they tried to squeeze in another ride during that time and got behind schedule or missed their call back. :v:

I've seen this being done elsewhere, too. A local haunt not far from Atlanta did the same thing last year and Disney has started using text messages for restaurant wait times instead of forcing people to sit at the bar for 30 minutes. I think it's being more widely embraced now that wireless connection is so cheap and reliable.

Generally these systems require you to show up within a certain time period (like 20 minutes) to avoid losing your spot rather than needing to run over.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Bottom Liner posted:

Or it'll end up like Dumbo where 90% of the time the virtual queue is non-existent.

I think a reservation type system has the opportunity to break people's brains. Like they've been trained for so long to stand in line and when it's their turn, they go. I could see massive meltdowns over people "cutting" in virtual line or some poo poo like that - like people with express pass, because crazies on vacation don't understand how the technology works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Happitoo posted:

Or it'll end up like Dumbo where 90% of the time the virtual queue is non-existent.

Yeah, but it is a nice system when the lines get longer and your kids need to get energy out. I'm all for these types of line replacements and expanded fast passes.