Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, standard is for dorks, always play the latest gimmick 3 month league, how can you say no to a gimmick that is all about swarming you with hundreds of monsters and your trying to kill as many as you can before time runs out like your inside one of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thanks I started looking around for something fun. This seems entertaining: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1666464

Also apparently I had 5 EX and like 80 chaos banked before I quit :monocle:
I ran that build a league or two ago and it was fun, though you have to deal with LS's slightly wonky mechanics. I didn't mind it, but some people do.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

for cospri's discharge does +1 curses do much for you to justify +10 ex investment

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Duck and Cover posted:

I've been planning a fire based iron commander.

Signal Fire and Xoph's Blood? Or just go grab avatar of fire so you can stack up a lot of dex on the amulet?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

funmanguy posted:

Signal Fire and Xoph's Blood? Or just go grab avatar of fire so you can stack up a lot of dex on the amulet?

The trip to avatar of fire is long, but I did forget that xoph's blood means no astramentis. There's one more super expensive/hard to get option that being skin of the lords (looked it up it's not too bad). I can't seem to stretch the tree to grab avatar of fire, without too much of a sacrifice. You do get to pickup elemental overload by going up there. Problem is I wasn't going to do it this league and who knows how much the league uniques will be the next league.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 12, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't know end-game stats very well. What do I want to look to get on rares to improve the sheet DPS of my chieftain warchief guy with disfavour? He's at ~55k with totems out, hatred and herald of ash running in hideout, but googling implies I should be much higher.

I suspect the biggest problem is not having 20/20 gems, but I don't know, and don't know what stats to go for otherwise.

(I'd link the account and character but I'm at work, sorry. Account's Ciaphas01 and character is CiaphasSA_Cohen if anyone wants to bother.)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Flat phys and attack speed on rings and gloves, preferably on Spiked Glove base. Flat phys on your amulet. Mid-priced upgrades in these slots should get you 10-20% more dps. I think you mentioned using Poison as one of your attack links. That will give you lower tooltip dps than Added Fire.

I also assume that dps is with Increased AoE and not Conc Effect? If so, you should be fine to handle anything since you're scaling bleed and poison to handle HP sponge bosses anyway.

Edit: yeah your jewelry needs work. I'd also try to find room for Barbarism (raising maximum fire res is good). That'd also give you more base res so you're not as dependent on gear for it. I'd swap out Tireless node cluster for it and use the extra points for the 6% life by Devotion and another axe damage point or the extra 5% aoe node in Templar area.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 12, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Well got my CI Doomfletch Pathfinder up and running.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ultima66/characters

7300 ES with the jewelry I was wearing before switching to CI. Need to level a little more to put on a Crystal Belt and Steel Rings. I think I'm going to try and get a +2 secondary arrow TShot hat and switch to TShot, because I really just don't like using Barrage right now. The interaction with King of the Hill is honestly annoying and I'm pretty cramped for gem space as is, having no way to generate Frenzy charges.

Also I did Normal/Cruel/Merc Lab + all Merc quests (up to the last one that gives a skill point) in under 9 hours. I know that's not a GOOD time but I was happy with it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Also I did Normal/Cruel/Merc Lab + all Merc quests (up to the last one that gives a skill point) in under 9 hours. I know that's not a GOOD time but I was happy with it.

was that with leveling items? wr with no cool bonus loot is a little under 6 hrs

remember: never stop moving, and next time pay a friend some chaos to give you waypoints

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I don't know end-game stats very well. What do I want to look to get on rares to improve the sheet DPS of my chieftain warchief guy with disfavour? He's at ~55k with totems out, hatred and herald of ash running in hideout, but googling implies I should be much higher.

I suspect the biggest problem is not having 20/20 gems, but I don't know, and don't know what stats to go for otherwise.

(I'd link the account and character but I'm at work, sorry. Account's Ciaphas01 and character is CiaphasSA_Cohen if anyone wants to bother.)
Keep in mind that a great deal of your damage in this build is bleed/poison, so that won't be reflected in your tooltip.

You have no damage rolls on your rings, amulet and gloves, and only attack speed on a ring, so that's a chunk of extra base damage you can pick up from gear investment.

Even without a Disfavor, with flasks up I was able to get to 6-digit tooltip with Warchiefs, it's a stupid good build.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

whydirt posted:

Flat phys and attack speed on rings and gloves, preferably on Spiked Glove base. Flat phys on your amulet. Mid-priced upgrades in these slots should get you 10-20% more dps. I think you mentioned using Poison as one of your attack links. That will give you lower tooltip dps than Added Fire.

I also assume that dps is with Increased AoE and not Conc Effect? If so, you should be fine to handle anything since you're scaling bleed and poison to handle HP sponge bosses anyway.

Edit: yeah your jewelry needs work. I'd also try to find room for Barbarism (raising maximum fire res is good). That'd also give you more base res so you're not as dependent on gear for it. I'd swap out Tireless node cluster for it and use the extra points for the 6% life by Devotion and another axe damage point.

theshim posted:

Keep in mind that a great deal of your damage in this build is bleed/poison, so that won't be reflected in your tooltip.

You have no damage rolls on your rings, amulet and gloves, and only attack speed on a ring, so that's a chunk of extra base damage you can pick up from gear investment.

Even without a Disfavor, with flasks up I was able to get to 6-digit tooltip with Warchiefs, it's a stupid good build.

Thank you all for the input. That leads me to the fact that I don't really understand why such small amounts of flat damage on jewelry is so valuable generally.

I mean, I get it for Facebreakers where there's a potentially 800% modifier on all that flat, but obviously I don't have that. So why does so little flat amount to so much power?

(edit) Same question for other stats like crit multiplier, I suppose. At guild's suggestion I swapped out amulets for one with crit mult on my KotF guy and his sheet skyrocketed far beyond what I expected just from the crit mult percentage on the item.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 12, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

was that with leveling items? wr with no cool bonus loot is a little under 6 hrs

remember: never stop moving, and next time pay a friend some chaos to give you waypoints

Yeah with leveling items. I wasn't trying to speedrun it but I'm ok with not wasting like 10 hours on bullshit compared to someone who is.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Thank you all for the input. That leads me to the fact that I don't really understand why such small amounts of flat damage on jewelry is so valuable generally.

I mean, I get it for Facebreakers where there's a potentially 800% modifier on all that flat, but obviously I don't have that. So why does so little flat amount to so much power?
It's not as powerful as Facebreaker or Doomfletch where flat phys is getting multiplied by ludicrous amounts, but it's still base phys damage, which is then scaled by all your modifiers - increased phys damage, herald/hatred, scales the bleed and the poison, etc.

I mean, think of it this way. Most weapons that aren't Disfavor might have something like a 200-300 damage range lategame (numbers pulled out of rear end, may not be entirely representative, etc) Getting another 20-30 phys damage on gear is effectively 10% more damage. At high levels, 10% is a lot of extra damage.

e: critmult is all about interacting multipliers as well, though that will always be dependent on your current crit to mult ratio etc etc

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Even without the insane FB mod, flat phys is still scaled up by all your phys damage nodes in your tree, then multiplied by all your other More boosts.

Efb

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
What items are you using to level past merciless so fast? I picked this game up again after awhile and I got a bladeflurry character to level 70 after 32 hours. What other tips do you have?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess I should stare at Path of Building some more when I get home, because everything y'all say makes perfect sense but the numbers just seem so hilariously disproportionate in terms of cause and effect.

theshim's comment about 20-30 flat phys being a 10% improvement on a more normal late game rare 2h weapon gives me a better sense of the scale at least.

(edit) And just because whydirt asked, yes, these numbers were with poison and inc aoe gems. For poison immunes I switch to Culling, and of course inc goes to concentrated effect. I was just sticking with apples to apples as far as sheet dps and my google results went.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 12, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CerebralDonut posted:

What items are you using to level past merciless so fast? I picked this game up again after awhile and I got a bladeflurry character to level 70 after 32 hours. What other tips do you have?

It basically comes down to having a lot of game knowledge. Level up like a dozen or more characters to maps and you'll get pretty good at it. The short version is: don't full clear areas, just run straight to the exit and only kill packs that are on the way.

As for leveling items, one word: plusonegemstabularasa

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Ciaphas, if you see me online (Banjo Karui), I can let you try on my jewelry and gloves so you can get a sense of scale.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

I prefer the 95% mana corruption because 5/6L skills destroy your mana in the early game such that flasks can't keep up.

whydirt posted:

Ciaphas, if you see me online (Banjo Karui), I can let you try on my jewelry and gloves so you can get a sense of scale.
Thanks I'll try to catch you online later

PS that name owns, been meaning to say that

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I prefer the 95% mana corruption because 5/6L skills destroy your mana in the early game such that flasks can't keep up.

Thanks I'll try to catch you online later

PS that name owns, been meaning to say that

Get some -8 resist elreons enchanted with stats.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Elreon jewelery.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Recently the game has been hanging on a black screen 50% of the time after selecting a character and being super laggy/crashing. I've had issues before but nothing this bad. Anyone else having issues?

theshim
May 1, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

add a corrupted level 2 and 3 empower and you get insanely swole

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
If we're playing "Fix my dude", I'd be interested in thoughts on my character "Kytraquisition":
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Kytrarewn/characters

The build is slightly different than the default build, since I grabbed phase acro in place of a jewel slot for better survivability, and I know I need to get a vinktar's... I'm just resisting paying that much for a flask. Similarly, I know there's no reason to use rotgut over a normal quicksilver for this build, though in clearing mode it kills poo poo quick enough that the lost frenzy charges are quickly replaced through bloodrage.

Still, I should be able to do much better in t11-t13 maps than I typically do, given how expensive the gear is (I linked the BotB myself in like 120 fuses on the way to a 5-link)

Now that they're cheap, I could probably snag a better catalyst, and if I could do uber lab (gently caress vaal pact), I would do so for the sake of getting a better head enchant.

Still, I'm sure there's something obvious that I'm missing, and more eyes are always better.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
  • Use Wrath instead of Anger. More damage, of a better damage type. You do lots of individually smaller hits, so your ignites suck. It'd be much better if those hits could reach the shock threshold instead.
  • The jewel socket above and right of Duelist start (currently holding Fulgent Splinter) would be a good place for a Static Electricity jewel. You'd need to get Art of the Gladiator to make the most of it.
  • Your accuracy sucks. You need AotG and other accuracy nodes. Also flat accuracy on gear - best bet would be one of your rings.
  • Actually, those rings are kinda mediocre. Only good things are the WED rolls. Get ones with life, res, WED and accuracy.
  • You've got too much crit chance. You could drop the crit chance halves of Disemboweling and Fatal Blade and still be slightly overcap.
  • A better-ish tree. Move Fulgent Splinter over to where Survival Secrets is, replace with a Static Electricity.
  • Your weapon is kinda slow. Try to get one with 2aps, high crit and as high edps as your wallet can handle without compromising much on the first two.

The thing about accuracy is that it's checked twice for crit attack builds - first to see if you hit at all, a second time to confirm a potential critical hit. Your effective crit chance vs L68 mobs (T1 map) is 81% and vs L84 mobs it's only 74%.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cinara posted:

Elreon jewelery.

gently caress me I forgot entirely about master-sold equipment.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

welcome to my hot character workshop where i look at your character and tell you where you can improve

hmm looks like you're a cyclone berserker, the first thing I would do is level a raider and then run blade flurry with astramentis and two howa

nice necromancer looks good to me but you could really improve that build by leveling a raider and running blade flurry with astramentis and two howa

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Your build looks a lot like mine, so if you want you can check out what I did here, on the char AedmundV.

Your tree looks almost exactly like mine; I'd add to what that other guy said:

-You should be able to drop the mana flask. I use a Stibnite for survivability, but you can kinda do whatever. Vinktar is strong on this build of course.
-I ditched the Disembowling crit nodes, but YMMV depending. Your weapon has more crit than mine so in theory you shouldn't need them.
-I use Choir of the Storm, which synergizes insanely well with this build, but it might require some regearing. Think about it.
-You can get better jewels. Don't use Survival Secrets. Get jewels with DAMAGE and CRIT MULTI. What is your crit chance right now? I can't imagine that you're not carrying more than you need, given that you use a Diamond Flask. I have 82.2 without power charges and not counting Assassin's Mark, and again your weapon has more crit than mine -- though OTOH I get a lot of crit from Choir of the Storm. Also, you should get life on as many jewels as possible.
-There's room for a lot of improvements with regard to life and resists on rings, belt, gloves...not sure where you're lacking.
-Added Cold will almost certainly be better than Faster Attacks, though YMMV.
-Agreed that 1.6 is a bit slow for attack speed with this build, so there's definitely room for weapon improvement.
-Enchant your boots dude, there are some really really strong boot enchants. Attack speed if killed, Fire damage if killed, Leech, Movespeed, Lightning damage if not killed (for bosses like Shaper), etc.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG08nRWK-9w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRABCk3Q_Gw

$15 each though :(

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Has anyone done a golemancer build this league? Necromancer or Elementalist? Any known good guides?
I'm thinking of giving up on the Skyforth dream, but I'm far enough of the way there to fund something decently expensive like the golem jewels.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I want them to start doing HUD skins. They're cool in dota.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

They should make a Blade Flurry skin that's pretty much Daresso's ice clone thing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I want them to start doing HUD skins. They're cool in dota.

$50 brings back the orb ladies

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is it possible to change ascendancy classes entirely? I was bored and reading another ancestral warchief guide that recommended Berserker over Chieftain for much higher boss DPS, and it made me curious. (not actually gonna do it even if it is possible, mind; I'd go insane without taunt totems)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 13, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yes, but it takes 5 refund points per Ascendancy point to do so. When you're full refunded you can run through the Labyrinth again to change Ascendancies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Neat, didn't know that last bit. Thanks.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

How good is this for HOWA spectral throw? No idea how much it's worth.

damnfan fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 13, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

damnfan posted:

How good is this for spectral throw? No idea how much it's worth.

2-4 chaos probably, 3% attack/cast speed is a really crappily budgeted stat and no one cares about proj speed.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there a resource that explains prophecies? I'm still not sure how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Besides http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Prophecy ?

• Locked thread