Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Seinfeldgetsup.gif

Should have been Guy and John.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Well, if anyone can write an even worse Green Lantern movie than the first one, it's Goyer. Why they keep hiring him, I'll never know. The script was the worst loving part of Man of Steel and Snyder is a hero for turning it into a watchable movie. If they wanted to do Lethal Weapon in space, why not just get Shane Black to write it?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Last time?

They haven't worked on a film together yet, the previous GL film was written by
Greg Berlanti, Michael Green, Marc Guggenheim and Michael Goldenberg based on a story by Berlanti, Guggenheim and Green.

I think the DC TV side is causing people to mistake Berlanti for Johns and vis versa.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Johns was also EP and did a script treatment of the Green Lantern movie, but isn't credited as a screenwriter.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
If the goal is to make a Green Lantern film even worse than the first one, they're off to a great start!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Goyer? More like Training Day in space.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Please just kill off Hal Jordan in a space car crash and have John Stewart forget all about him while training rookie Kyle Rayner. Guy Gardner can be Hal's old trainee.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hey, if they're doing "Lethal Weapon in space" then maybe Hal will be Riggs and he'll have an actual personality?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They tried giving Hal a personality once, then he killed a bunch of people and got turned into the Spectre.

Just give it up and go with one of the 7199 Lanterns who don't suck.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Doc Brown should get a Green Lantern ring.

He built a time machine in 1886 out of pure force of will.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

greatn posted:

Doc Brown should get a Green Lantern ring.

He built a time machine in 1886 out of pure force of will.

By your own admission Doc Brown doesn't need a green lantern ring.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Why can't DC hire screenwriters outside their own circle?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Most studios have "their guys" I think. Isn't Simon Kinberg stinking up movies over at Fox?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

Most studios have "their guys" I think. Isn't Simon Kinberg stinking up movies over at Fox?

Yeah, Kinberg is the guy shepherding all of Fox's comic movie projects, just like Geoff Johns is involved in everything that is happening with the DCEU and Kevin Feige is the grand poobah of Marvel Studios.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timby posted:

Yeah, Kinberg is the guy shepherding all of Fox's comic movie projects, just like Geoff Johns is involved in everything that is happening with the DCEU and Kevin Feige is the grand poobah of Marvel Studios.

The writer of Black Panther, the writers of Captain America 2 and 3 (and now the next Avengers movies), the writer/director of Antman, were all not known in the superhero/action realm before signing up with Marvel.

EDIT: When talking about Antman, I'm talking about peyton reed and adam mcckay.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Hal Jordan being called out by people for being a dumbass meathead is an endless source of entertainment and if the Green Lantern movie can hit on that it will be a super great time.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
We already got the best interpretation of Hal Jordan in Godzilla 14. It was just Godzilla instead of a ring.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's already a Lethal Weapon in Space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ1FpvVZeVA

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

greatn posted:

Well he had been

Ehh, not really. Yes he's opposed to what Batman is doing but he basically took a minute out of his day to send him a message to frig off. He's more concerned about whether people are right that he's acting too unilaterally, that his love for Lois is compromising him, that maybe this whole "Superman" thing was a stupid idea and that the world will never stop fighting any effort to make it better------meanwhile, Batman is dreaming about Superman, sharpening his kryptonite spear and getting mad shredded dragging his tire around screaming and thinking about Superman, etc.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Johns was also EP and did a script treatment of the Green Lantern movie, but isn't credited as a screenwriter.

Yeah that must have been what I was thinking of. I knew that hamfisted hack was involved somehow.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Ehh, not really. Yes he's opposed to what Batman is doing but he basically took a minute out of his day to send him a message to frig off. He's more concerned about whether people are right that he's acting too unilaterally, that his love for Lois is compromising him, that maybe this whole "Superman" thing was a stupid idea and that the world will never stop fighting any effort to make it better------meanwhile, Batman is dreaming about Superman, sharpening his kryptonite spear and getting mad shredded dragging his tire around screaming and thinking about Superman, etc.

Yeah, Superman wont even stay around for Batman's threat. Bat's :reject: face afterwards and his angry drive home are amazing.

Though now I want to know what would have happened had Superman stayed around.

"Tell me, do you bleed?"
"Come again?"
"Uh, nothing."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

He was completely ignoring his job to go to the next town over to investigate him against the wishes of his boss.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

greatn posted:

He was completely ignoring his job to go to the next town over to investigate him against the wishes of his boss.

Mind, he didn't fly over, he took the ferry, like a normal joe

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

McCloud posted:

Mind, he didn't fly over, he took the ferry, like a normal joe

Yeah, it was Clark Kent that didn't like Batman, Supes didn't step in until all the harbor destruction.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

wyoming posted:

Yeah, it was Clark Kent that didn't like Batman, Supes didn't step in until all the harbor destruction.

Same drat guy

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

Same drat guy

I don't loving think so, man. One wears glasses. The other doesn't.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man, if it wasn't for the fact that they would donk it some how, I would kill to have a movie adaptation of It's Superman!

Just full on 1930s Superman story.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Superman was going through a PR nightmare because he overstepped his bounds and charged into Africa to save Lois.

The whole thing where he shows up to threaten Batman in the most milquetoast way possible and then quickly flies away afterwards is because he's actually quite tentative about interfering with...pretty much anything, actually. He's just killing time doing Classic Supermanning of saving people from disasters until the whole thing blows over. But, of course, he can't help himself...he has to get involved with the Gotham Batman.

Burkion posted:

Man, if it wasn't for the fact that they would donk it some how, I would kill to have a movie adaptation of It's Superman!

Just full on 1930s Superman story.

People would absolutely freak out at 1930s Superman. He's not a nice guy.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Drifter posted:

I don't loving think so, man. One wears glasses. The other doesn't.

That doesn't make any sense. If Clark is Superman, how can he see when he takes off his glasses?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

He's also writing Star Wars stuff at Lucasfilm, too. Working on the Rebels cartoon and the Boba Fett movie that Josh Trank dropped out of/was fired from.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They lost their loving poo poo at 30s Batman, so yeah.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh, no, I'm talking about an adaptation of the Novel, It's Superman! by Tom De Haven.

Which is a period piece set in the 30s about Clark, Lois, and Lex, where they came from and how they end up where they are, set in an authentic 1930s America, including all the racism you'd expect.

It's a loving wonderful book, and a brilliant character piece on the three. Clark is nowhere near as confidant as his real 1930s counterpart, but is also just so much more human.

I would also be fine with an actual 1930s Superman movie though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I haven't got around to reading that. I probably should. Everyone seems to like it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Burkion posted:

Oh, no, I'm talking about an adaptation of the Novel, It's Superman! by Tom De Haven.

Which is a period piece set in the 30s about Clark, Lois, and Lex, where they came from and how they end up where they are, set in an authentic 1930s America, including all the racism you'd expect.

It's a loving wonderful book, and a brilliant character piece on the three. Clark is nowhere near as confidant as his real 1930s counterpart, but is also just so much more human.

I would also be fine with an actual 1930s Superman movie though.

I'd never heard of it: sounds interesting.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Chairman Capone posted:

He's also writing Star Wars stuff at Lucasfilm, too. Working on the Rebels cartoon and the Boba Fett movie that Josh Trank dropped out of/was fired from.

Haha really? Did they hire him as a "gently caress you" to Trank or was he always on the project with Trank and their issues were part of the reason he got dropped?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Guy Gardner and John Stewart is more Lethal Weapon in space, add Kyle Rayner and you get fun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

AbsolutelySane posted:

Well, if anyone can write an even worse Green Lantern movie than the first one, it's Goyer. Why they keep hiring him, I'll never know. The script was the worst loving part of Man of Steel and Snyder is a hero for turning it into a watchable movie. If they wanted to do Lethal Weapon in space, why not just get Shane Black to write it?

Because Goyer wrote Dark Knight, the most popular pre-Avengers superhero movie. But then again, he also did Dark Knight Rises, so...

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
He did Blade, too :colbert:

e: haha holy poo poo he wrote for Call of Duty? what the gently caress

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Because Goyer wrote Dark Knight, the most popular pre-Avengers superhero movie. But then again, he also did Dark Knight Rises, so...

He wrote Batman Begins. He has a story credit for Dark Knight, but the script was written by Chris and Jon Nolan. This was likewise the case for Dark Knight Rises.

I want to give David S. Goyer a pass because he wrote Blade, which remains the goddamn poo poo. But he also wrote AND directed Blade: Trinity, so gently caress him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I haven't got around to reading that. I probably should. Everyone seems to like it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd never heard of it: sounds interesting.

Just don't go into it expecting action beat after action beat. It's far more a character thing than it is big set pieces for Superman to Superman everywhere.

The three leads don't even really meet up until near the end of the book, with Superman and Lex only sharing one scene together. It's a brilliant one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Haha really? Did they hire him as a "gently caress you" to Trank or was he always on the project with Trank and their issues were part of the reason he got dropped?

Supposedly he was the one who suggested that Trank be hired to direct it (a year prior to FF coming out), so presumably the latter.

• Locked thread